Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

political mayhem in gaming?

drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

havent posted my main tread in a while since most game copy and paste ,my last love (gaming wise)was aika global.i loved the political mayhem there and when i saw a version of political mayhem might be in this game i felt the need to ask:

do you think political mayhem (a la real world)can bring a game from lame to EPIC?in my view yes it can! you imagine some country do it trough lobbying bipolar capitalist democracy(usa and most ally)or trough totalitarian ways (china and their allies)

some use other form. one thing remain constant everytime you involve politic in any situation ,IT BECOME LIVELLY IN A HURRY!

could this be the future of mmo s?

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by drbaltazar

havent posted my main tread in a while since most game copy and paste ,my last love (gaming wise)was aika global.i loved the political mayhem there and when i saw a version of political mayhem might be in this game i felt the need to ask:

do you think political mayhem (a la real world)can bring a game from lame to EPIC?in my view yes it can! you imagine some country do it trough lobbying bipolar capitalist democracy(usa and most ally)or trough totalitarian ways (china and their allies)

some use other form. one thing remain constant everytime you involve politic in any situation ,IT BECOME LIVELLY IN A HURRY!

I don't think it will be the future of mmo's,  but it is thinking and doing things outside of the box so to speak.  And for an industry that has mostly been copy/paste for years it's quite refreashing.  I'm not saying that tera will be totally unique because it won't.  It still follows a lot of the same things that other mmo's incorporate but they are willing to try new ideas and concepts.

One example they are doing to interact with their community:  http://tout.com/u/tera

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• HardcoreksigHardcoreksig Member Posts: 16

While I do like the 'thinking outside the box' approach, I am a little apprehensive about introducing politics into an MMO.

My thoughts/concerns are two fold:

1)  Who REALLY likes politics?:  For the most part (at least IMHO), people don't really like politics and get quite annoyed by it.  I tend to play games to escape from the real world, and to - if only temporarily - escape from any issues/stresses/politcs, etc.  Now, playing a game introduces stress in some form or fashion:  Trolls, getting ganked, etc, throw in politics.....now it's starting to feel more like 'the real world'.

2)  With political power comes abuse:  We as gamers would like to think that people can and will play a game within the design concepts and mechanics - sure the occasional exploit happens - but for the most part, we'd like to think we can 'follow the rules' so to speak.  However, we know that will almost NEVER happen.  Although most people may follow the game rules, ethics, and hell even just overall common game sense, but it is the small percent that don't that can take a neat concept and drive the rest of the game world into the ground.  Now, I am just getting on board with this game, so I haven't read/seen in depth detail about how the political systems will work, but from what I can read in a gamespot article (read http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318284/e3-2011-we-just-played-tera-and-got-new-details/?tag=newsfeatures%3Btitle%3B1) it looks like the powers are quite great.  If the wrong person gets in power, they could jack taxes up really high, not allow certain special skills trainers, etc.  The one that really caught my eye as a concern was "...and even temporarily imprisoning players who cause too much trouble" - this one just flat out scares me as being such an abused power.

Now I would imagine that if a person came into power and then began abusing it, that enough people could petition to have them removed, but even that temporary abusiveness could likely drive people to quit.

I think it is a really cool idea, as long as it is implemented well, and swift and decisive action is taken against those who truly abuse it.

Just my two cents - overall this looks like a GREAT game!

• wootwinkedwootwinked Member UncommonPosts: 11

I cant see how people complain over and over again about the political system. Imagin a player ruling his area like a dictator:

-If an area is won by voting then next elections just dont vote for him anymore

-If the area is won by PvP-rank, then it will encourage other guilds to step up and defeat the dictator

For the people that cant handle being in jail or Pk'ed, just stay out of these areas (yes I know, u have a quest to hand in there :P ) .. while for others (guilds), this will be an incentive to make plans for a take-over next elections

In the end, the political system will bring end-game content to this game, something f.i. RIFT is lacking atm.. too bad they probably wont combine it with sieges (would be nice if top ranked PvP guilds could have epic sieges to control certain areas), which would add to the drama..

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

we had a watered down system like that in aika and i got to say ,politic could make game interesting.since we havent had lot of it in our game it is sad and true that it can and would prob cause grieving.would it be better to have a new server for those?exemple:

pvp

pve

political pvp

political pve

or such?maybe!

but i do think there can be good potential.one thing tho i dont really like the idea of different server cause has the past have shown us in various game ,it wont stop player from not playing within the rule say of rp server,and rp server sufring pk player etc

but as everything i dont believe there is any perfect solution.

eve player could probably tell us more about politic in gaming etc since they have only one server i bet a lot of politic is going on in there 24 hour a day

Originally posted by wootwinked

I cant see how people complain over and over again about the political system. Imagin a player ruling his area like a dictator:

-If an area is won by voting then next elections just dont vote for him anymore

-If the area is won by PvP-rank, then it will encourage other guilds to step up and defeat the dictator

From a macro-political view, yes, you are absolutely right.  I am thinking more however from the micro-viewpoint.  I definitely don't know more than the bit I've read about the system, so maybe there are deeper mechanics in place, but it just seems that the potential for griefing is ripe.  Yes, if I happen to be a strong player, and I know it, and I get placed in jail - then ok, I understand that could happen - but what if I am just some regular Joe just minding my own business, and then BAM, I get thrown in jail by some 12 year old who is sitting there just randomely putting people in jail for no reason....

If it happens once in a while, then OK.  When it happens repeatedly, it very well could drive people to quiting.

In the end, the political system will bring end-game content to this game, something f.i. RIFT is lacking atm.. too bad they probably wont combine it with sieges (would be nice if top ranked PvP guilds could have epic sieges to control certain areas), which would add to the drama..

^ THAT would be epic

• wootwinkedwootwinked Member UncommonPosts: 11

@Hardcoreksig: I understand that some fear being "bullied" by an evil Vanarch/guild, however, this is what I see as a solution:

-Short run: just avoid the specific area ruled by the "evil vanarch" 

(ps: others will get their thrills by roaming tro enemy territory, knowing that npc guards or evil-Vanarch-guild-members can kill em on sight  => perhaps there should be a bonus when u complete quests in an area were u are declared an 'outlaw' by the ruling guild? :P)

-Long run:  the griefing should cause people to group up, form strong guilds and compete with each other.. which can lead to massive and epic fights, which would be even more awesome if u actually fight for something, e.g. territory / castle / ...

I can understand the devellopers for implementing such a political system, because imo the griefing and honour of ruling a country, gives people something to thrive for.. while games as RIFT atm lack such a goal

Yup, I do agree with what you say there, no doubt.  And I honestly do hope that is the mentality that most bring.

It's definitely quite satisfying to be repeatedly beaten/bullied by someone, then to come in as group and squash them image

• LurvLurv Member UncommonPosts: 409

If anything it'll turn most kids off. You know those ones who run their mouths and beg for gold while        following you everywhere? Anything to avoid having some annoying 11 year old in a party or guild who whines when ganked and never shuts up is fine by me. I'm just sayin'.

Getting too old for this $&17!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Hardcoreksig

While I do like the 'thinking outside the box' approach, I am a little apprehensive about introducing politics into an MMO.

1)  Who REALLY likes politics?:  For the most part (at least IMHO), people don't really like politics and get quite annoyed by it.  I tend to play games to escape from the real world, and to - if only temporarily - escape from any issues/stresses/politcs, etc.  Now, playing a game introduces stress in some form or fashion:  Trolls, getting ganked, etc, throw in politics.....now it's starting to feel more like 'the real world'.

2)  With political power comes abuse:  We as gamers would like to think that people can and will play a game within the design concepts and mechanics - sure the occasional exploit happens - but for the most part, we'd like to think we can 'follow the rules' so to speak.  However, we know that will almost NEVER happen.  Although most people may follow the game rules, ethics, and hell even just overall common game sense, but it is the small percent that don't that can take a neat concept and drive the rest of the game world into the ground.  Now, I am just getting on board with this game, so I haven't read/seen in depth detail about how the political systems will work, but from what I can read in a gamespot article (read http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318284/e3-2011-we-just-played-tera-and-got-new-details/?tag=newsfeatures%3Btitle%3B1) it looks like the powers are quite great.  If the wrong person gets in power, they could jack taxes up really high, not allow certain special skills trainers, etc.  The one that really caught my eye as a concern was "...and even temporarily imprisoning players who cause too much trouble" - this one just flat out scares me as being such an abused power.

Now I would imagine that if a person came into power and then began abusing it, that enough people could petition to have them removed, but even that temporary abusiveness could likely drive people to quit.

I think it is a really cool idea, as long as it is implemented well, and swift and decisive action is taken against those who truly abuse it.

I disagree with you.

Many years ago, in Lineage 2, on the Hindemith server, when clans would become "evil" or when they would piss off the server, the server would rise up and remove them from power. Oh sure those clans hated it and would cry  "zerg" and whatever else but in the end the players were taking action and voting with their might.

So I would say "yes" let players hike taxes and do whatever they want and if the server gets tired of them then they will try to remove them.

Otherwise it's just another sanitized game mechanic.  Too much of that in my opinion.

Or, if a guild is so powerful that they can thwart whoever tries to remove them then the server needs to figure out a way to make their lives miserable. Attackign their members on site or refusing to sell to them (if indeed there is player to player selling and not just an auction house).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by drbaltazar

Perhaps you've heard of a little game called EVE?

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Hardcoreksig

Haven't played many FFA PVP games have you? A political systems does appeal to many and without one players create there own anyways lol. DarkFall, EvE, Pre- Trammel UO, etc. 

And yes, there is potential for people to abuse there powers if put in that kind of position......... but thats a good thing. It promotes conflict. What point is there to PvP without something to fight for or against. 

Being treated unfailry? Rise up, start a rebellion. 

Hungry for power? Build an army and take it!

PvP with nothing to truly gain or lose besides gear gets borring. Throw in the chance for power......... well you got the start of a good PvP game. 

Bring back red vs. blue PvP. Good vs. Evil. All that crud. Political system sounds awsome. 

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

to the OP, there have been (and still are) plenty of games where politics played a big role.

Eve to this day (and i am with you in that the politics draws me to the game)

L2 (not sure about the present but when i used to play there were big political blocs vying for supremacy)

the Zek servers in eq1

Darkfall

and others i am sure that i can't speak of firsthand.

I do hope tera (and archeage for that matter) have the toolbox in place for player driven politics.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins