Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sudden performance problem

majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Hi.

Up to a while ago everything went fine. But recently I noticed that, after a while, the performance for many games I play drops. It drops that much that some games are barely playable.

For example TF2. In the past I had sometimes played it smoothly on max details. Now, after 10 minutes or say, the FPS goes down quite quickly so that the game becomes about unplayable, even with setting the graphics settings to the lowest options.

When I check the task manager which programs are running, I see no other programs that suck up any significant amounts of RAM or CPU.

Anyone got any ideas what the reason for this might be?

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 23,223

That sounds like a classic instance of overheating caused by insufficient case airflow.  That could be more directly caused by a dead or blocked fan, or too much dust.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the graphics card temperature, and it was fine at 36°C. Then I checked the one of the mainboard, and that one was over 70°C. So I opened the case, took out the sound card, network card, graphics card, dusted it all off (too much dust) and dusted off the case and cpu fan too, and noticed that there was probably a cable in the cpu fan at times, blocking it.

Now it seems to work. The mainboard temperature check worked always only at times, so I don't know yet how much it helps, but I'm confident.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by maji

Thanks for the quick reply.

I checked the graphics card temperature, and it was fine at 36°C. Then I checked the one of the mainboard, and that one was over 70°C. So I opened the case, took out the sound card, network card, graphics card, dusted it all off (too much dust) and dusted off the case and cpu fan too, and noticed that there was probably a cable in the cpu fan at times, blocking it.

Now it seems to work. The mainboard temperature check worked always only at times, so I don't know yet how much it helps, but I'm confident.

yah may want to get a few tie wraps and do some cable management in the case.   getting cable cought in cooling fans can become an expensive mistake:)  at least you cought it early and can do something about it before your computer turns into charcoal:)