Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: How Many Preorders?

nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

How many pre-orders do you think TOR sold/is going to sell in the near future?  Feel free to explain your reasoning.

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

Comments

• PittyHPittyH Member Posts: 116

i read somewhere gamestop had over 1 million copies and sold out.

so that's just gamestop, then you have origin, ans half of australia buying from amazon.

my web design: www.advancedws.com.au

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by Pitt_Hammer

so that's just gamestop, then you have origin, ans half of australia buying from amazon.

Half of Australia? From what I understand it's not even for sale in Australia. It's only being sold in NA and Europe, even then they plan on having a limited release. There will only be a certain amount of availability. On the one hand that could be smart on their part since it will reduce the posibility of problems upon release, on the other hand it could piss off a lot of potential customers who could decide if they can't get the game now or immediately upon release then they'll never get it.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Can't remember where I heard it...but I do remember hearing that pre-launch was going to be limited to 500K copies.  I'd bet they're pretty close to selling that number out.

• FurorFuror Member Posts: 374

Im expecting by the time day 1 release bioware has sold between 3.5  to 4 million pre order boxes.

i would be suprised if its not.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Thought this would fit hear from Dartthater.com:http://darthhater.com/2011/07/24/sdcc-2011-stephen-reid-answers-pre-order-questions/

Star Wars: The Old Republic's Stephen Reid took a few minutes to answer some questions about pre-orders and regional availability. Since the answers affect quite a few of you, Darth Hater will publish these as they are transcribed.

Watch our official Twitter account for updates to this interview.

Pre-orders seem to be going pretty well to the point that certain retailers are having problems keeping up with demand. Any advice or things that fans should take note of regarding receiving and redeeming their pre-order code?

Stephen Reid: Fans are not having a problem getting their pre-order code redeemed because when they redeem it, they redeem it on swtor.com and we haven't had any problems there so far that I'm aware of. Some retailers like Amazon.com sold out of the Collector's Edition but they are actually getting re-allocated with extra stock so they will have stock later on.

We had a few issues with retailers in a number of territories where they didn't necessarily understand the idea of giving out a pre-order code. The difficulty for us is... everyone was briefed at the regional or corporate level, but that doesn't necessarily make it down to every single store clerk in every single store. Unfortunately, if you went in and did a pre-order, and they didn't give you a code, you should basically ask them to give you a code. And if they won't give you a code, then feel free to pre-order somewhere else or take it up with a higher chain of command. We're certainly trying to reinforce that as much as we possibly can down the chain. In addition, some retailers are a little slow in terms of sending out their codes, especially via email. We're working with them to accelerate that process as well.

Something that people are concerned about is when they redeem their code, and if it will affect their Early Game Access. The truth is that right now -- even though we had a lot of codes redeemed -- we're not even at a point yet where people wouldn't be more than a day one or day two. It really is not that bad. The incentive for us to get people to redeem their codes is obviously so we can keep track of how many people are getting ready for pre-order. But at the same time, we're trying to prevent a situation where people pre-order and they actually redeem their code months later, and at that point they would be at the back of the line. That is the reason why we are pushing people to redeem their codes, but there really isn't any reason to panic.

We know that publishers have a variety of problems when trying to launch a game overseas that range from regional politics, ratings boards, server infrastructure, localization, distribution, and more. Why did you choose not to launch in certain regions?

The answer is "none of the above." We didn't make that decision because of ratings board issues, localization or whatever else. What it ultimately comes down to is simple, but it is kind of a difficult concept to grasp: it is about quality of service. We know the level of demand for Star Wars: The Old Republic is pretty much unprecedented in MMO history. We know realistically the number of players we can deal with on launch day and the launch period. We made the difficult decision to say the player experience is paramount. We don't want them to have a bad experience on launch day. And that led inevitably to certain decisions and one of them was reducing the number of territories we go into at launch.

The process of putting a boxed product in any territory is difficult. The process of deciding whether or not we want to put regional services into an area is also difficult. So it is a combination of a lot of different factors, but ultimately it comes down to the two competing factors: one is demand for the game, and two is what we can supply at that level of service we really want to give. And this is the result. We understand many people want to play the game from all around the world, and we're absolutely going to get to as many territories as we can over time, but we're not ready to commit to a specific time frame on that yet.

Share Article On...

Thanks for spreading the word!

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• CailiegCailieg Member Posts: 85

I chose 1 million plus. Here is why.

CE was selling out and fast from the majority of vendors. I myself ordered 6 collector's editions and in my guild another 15-20 were ordered. There is a lot of hype and excitement surrounding this title and rightfully so.

Alexis

*smiles*

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Bioware has mentioned they have plenty of servers and limited release just means that they are gonna add people based on when they order or get game. so its a limited release as pre orders get early acess when bioware is ready to add them.

So thy can manage the population as well as make sure they have the servers necessary for who they are letting play. I think that will cut down on any issues u have with logging in some games have at launch.

That said im betting over 1 mil. When u figure what they paid to make this game no way they limit themselves to 500k for launch and they have stated preorders have no limit but allows them to see hwo many are gonna play and as such manage it.

yea just try to fit 3 million pre order players into the game on day 1 of release, im scared.

lol.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

Ill say it will be a lot more than just a mil. Probably 3-4

• RintintinRintintin Member Posts: 64

I was happy I got my CE before they ran out.

Originally posted by GreenHell

Ill say it will be a lot more than just a mil. Probably 3-4

Yea i totally agree with greenhell.

ill be damned if it didnt for some odd reason.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

It is actually a smart move to limit how many players can buy the game before launch. It will allow you a chance to get players off the starter worlds and out into the game. And implement the correct amount of servers for the game.Then when players are spread out more, add more games to buy.

Also, it will create a "need" to buy the game if you can't get it because they ran out. So there will be more players that may want to play, but can't until they release more. Ofc those players could say screw it, I don't want to play now. But we will find out soon enough.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

lulz... looking at the responses in the poll for people saying -500k preorders.

Talk about needing to buy a clue, sheesh. Didn't realize there were that many soft-leather helmeted people around.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I guessed around 500k-750k since their forums have a little over a million users and not everyone is likely to have pre ordered and the forum users are probably more likely to preorder than anyone else.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Over a mill easy. I think the CE sold the minute it was put on the web for purchase.

• Originally posted by BarakIII

Originally posted by Pitt_Hammer

Half of Australia? From what I understand it's not even for sale in Australia. It's only being sold in NA and Europe, even then they plan on having a limited release. There will only be a certain amount of availability. On the one hand that could be smart on their part since it will reduce the posibility of problems upon release, on the other hand it could piss off a lot of potential customers who could decide if they can't get the game now or immediately upon release then they'll never get it.

There are no retailers in Australia selling it but doesn't stop them from importing it through amazon which i've heard of a few aussies doing

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

They are gonna slowly filter u in. So they wont have some of the issues wow had with release. This is a smart thing. Its why they are encouraging pre orders. Sure they will probably have a release day u can buy in stores and anyone who hasnt got in gets in but the majority of people will bei n game already due to there slow increase in pop based onw hen u redeem your code.

I think the pre order early acess with everyoen who pre orders getting early acess is a godo thing. I think its why they dont have an exact release date.

They wanna have some idea of how long it will take them to increas population. Although if u listen to stephen reid it sounds like they have alot of servers ready and raring to go on day 1.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Furor
    Im expecting by the time day 1 release bioware has sold between 3.5  to 4 million pre order boxes.
     i would be suprised if its not.

Well if it's that high, they will have recovered their development costs.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

But the REAL question is what is the usual procedure for using all the money they get from preorders? I guess it just goes towards EA's earnings for the fiscal year? And the SWTOR team might get to hang on to a few more teams and staff after it goes live? Expansion plans can be a bit more elaborate since they know it's going to sell?

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

Originally posted by xmenty

http://i.imgur.com/R3OK8.jpg  LMAO

That's soooooooooo screwed up. Hope that dude doesn't end up homeless on the street just for a pre-order lol. I got mine from Amazon, which was only $1 preorder and the rest is charged when the game actually ships.

ouch, hope he gets them fixed.

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Yeah, I saw them mention they would charge the account for the full amount in some cases and return it to what the preorder cost was.

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

hahaha BRUTAL!  lesson learned in reading the fine print!

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Originally posted by Swanea

Yeah, I saw them mention they would charge the account for the full amount in some cases and return it to what the preorder cost was.

Yeah, they charged my debit card the full price then refunded all but the 5.00 preorder charge. I didn't have to call them over it or anything like that. It was all done the same day without any need for me to get involved.