Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW vs SWTOR

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I cannot dedicate myself to multiple MMORPG's and I already made two mistakes in past 2-3 years. First was wasting $ on Aion, second was wasting $ on DCUO. Question is will SWTOR be the 3rd mistake or will it top WOW in overall quality.

So let's compare these both MMORPG's from what we know so far and see where they got the edge.

WOW - Endgame (It won't be dying soon. Expect scheduled updates and continued endgame content)

WOW - Combat (Smooth and realistic combat. Very well done and one of the best I've seen)

WOW - UI / Addons (Addons can be helpful or harmful, but WOW became popular due to its useful addons and awesome UI)

SWTOR - Immersion (Compared to WOW I know SWTOR will be far more immersive experience backed by awesome IP)

When it comes to endgame I know SWTOR is a direct copy to WOW. Operations - raids and warzones - battlegrounds. The bounty hunter and jedi classes are typical dps classes. Bounty hunters wont be able to hunt player bounties. The jedi is just your rogue version if you go dual wield or tank if you go one handed.

So all of that being said, SWTOR will surely be a worthy investment just for the exceptional experience you'll be able to encounter as you level your main and alt characters, but once that's consumed the game will fall behind and you'll end up doing the same thing you do in WOW. Show up on weekly shedules, do your operations or rated warzones. SWTOR should've known it will take more than just awesome IP and offering a direct copy of WOW endgame to be in direct competition to WOW. Most players who already got 6-7 characters, lots of gold and well known community around them won't hop to SWTOR until it truly does SOMETHING groundbreaking and innovative in the genre and so far SWTOR has failed to show that.

Comments

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

SWTOR is being developed by Bioware and Lucasarts...... and published by EA games. The budget so far reached 300m US Dollars. This title CANNOT fail. But don't expect to see a lot of innovation or anything spectacular. It will be same story-based questing game which some say WoW in space.

Everything in the game will be Voice Over. You will not read any text (as far as I know) of course there are subtitle options but what I mean is you wont have to read.. you will be in a movie.

I trust Lucasarts fine story telling and Bioware gameplay mechanics and RPG experience. But in terms of MMORPG it will be another Themepark... but what a themepark it will be. The most expensive MMORPG to this date, 300m dollars.. god damn that's more than the budget of Lord of the Rings trilogy movies.

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Originally posted by yewsef

SWTOR is being developed by Bioware and Lucasarts...... and published by EA games. The budget so far reached 300m US Dollars. This title CANNOT fail. But don't expect to see a lot of innovation or anything spectacular. It will be same story-based questing game which some say WoW in space.

Everything in the game will be Voice Over. You will not read any text (as far as I know) of course there are subtitle options but what I mean is you wont have to read.. you will be in a movie.

I trust Lucasarts fine story telling and Bioware gameplay mechanics and RPG experience. But in terms of MMORPG it will be another Themepark... but what a themepark it will be. The most expensive MMORPG to this date, 300m dollars.. god damn that's more than the budget of Lord of the Rings trilogy movies.

Actually most analysts have pegged the budged between 80-150 million, the 300 million has been debunked numerous times by EA and was little more than the fictional stylings of an EX-employee with an axe to grind.

You'd think a fan of the game would know better than to spout pure fiction.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Sorry but really? And what been playing it have you? Did the end game? Come back in Jan+ 2012 and ask. Wow is 2004 it will be 2012.. 

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Kopogero

Question is will SWTOR be the 3rd mistake or will it top WOW in overall quality.

If that is all you are looking for in a new game then yes it might do just that.  But then again Rift did a good job in the quality department compared to wow and still many people found the game lacking.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

If quality means a polished and bug free experience, nothing can top WoW. It was in development for MANY years before it was release, then millions of dollars have been spent polishing over its lifespan.

No new MMO can ever touch that. When picking a new MMO it comes down whether it has the features you want and if its polished enough.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

WOW - Endgame (It won't be dying soon. Expect scheduled updates and continued endgame content)

If you like the WoW endgame content; sitting in a Cap city waiting for your Raid queue to pop and running the same Battleground map over and over, sounds like you're comfortable with where your at.

Dont leave.

• donjuanagaindonjuanagain Member UncommonPosts: 135

there is no comparison

/end thread

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

WOW - Combat (Smooth and realistic combat. Very well done and one of the best I've seen)

If this is the case you have not seen much. Really, Tab, press 3, 2,5 and regardless of what direction your facing you hit. And this is the realistic combat you speak of?

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

They added a PvP planet and a solo PvE planet for end game. As well as a way to craft for one or two crafters per server that will have gear close to raid level that will only be achieved through player/guild cooperation. So raid till you die may not be the only thing at end game like WoW.

These two games are completely different when it comes to over all feel with SW vs Warcraft IP. But the core will be the same based on a general Themepark MMO feature list. For me, WoW will never even come up while playing TOR because of this difference in IP. It will not even compare to me in any way, except for being a Themepark MMO.

I don't think you can really have a true vs argument. WoW is at it's peak and will begin to decline. It is becoming an old game. TOR will be a new game in a different setting. It will have a lot more content that is vastly supperior to anything WoW has every come up with. Along with the usual open world MMO content of any themepark, only with full VO. The only way to compare the two would be todays WoW vs TOR in six years. Then you can compare the reaction to each game by the market all you want IMO.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

Originally posted by Baikal

Originally posted by yewsef

Actually most analysts have pegged the budged between 80-150 million, the 300 million has been debunked numerous times by EA and was little more than the fictional stylings of an EX-employee with an axe to grind.

You'd think a fan of the game would know better than to spout pure fiction.

Me? a fan of THIS game? Bowahahahhahahaha!!!

Read my article here and know my opinion about their "story telling" crap (article written last year). I was just answering the OP's question and despite my frantic psychotic hatred of Quest Driven Themepark MMORPGs I still I'm not blind to admit the great history of Lucastarts and Bioware. If you're an old gamer, you'd know what these big names mean and I respect them for all the good times they provided us with Adventure Games (lucastarts) and RPGs (Bioware). I know not everyone shares my own preferences and if you follow my posts you'd know I'm a zealot when it comes to this crappy MMORPG trend and SWTOR is one of them. I don't even like the StarWars universe.

So, big deal the number I had wasn't accurate. Still 150mil is 3 times the budget of WoW and by far the most expensive MMORPG till this day.

• lightingbirdlightingbird Member Posts: 103

Originally posted by donjuanagain

there is no comparison

/end thread

I honestly can't believe someone thought they could compare the two.  Clear indication of a new mmo player that needs to look into other games besides WoW. 

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Nothing from SWTOR makes me gasp or want it. I was rather disappointed by the graphics and gameplay in the videos.

Each day that passes the graphics look more and more dated and they already looked dated when they released the gameplay trailers.

It will have a following because it's an IP with a lot of fans, but other than that I don't see it breaking any records.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I quit WoW a couple of year ago and I have to say the OP has a point on the smoothness of the gameplay, when I went back to WoW after a couple of months in WAR I could feel the difference in smoothness and responsiveness.

If SW:TOR can pull off that mercurial feat of having everything behave the way it's supposed to when it's supposed to (you guys know what I mean, right?) then it'll be another major check mark in the plus column.

But really, I just want to see what it feels like to have an immersive and cinematic RPG-type experience in a persistent world.

I just want to get lost in an MMO again...

That's my biggest hope for the game.

I could care less whether it "beats" WoW in some bizarre fan-driven contest, I just want it to be fun. 

• yodablazeyodablaze Member Posts: 234

Originally posted by Hopscotch73

I quit WoW a couple of year ago and I have to say the OP has a point on the smoothness of the gameplay, when I went back to WoW after a couple of months in WAR I could feel the difference in smoothness and responsiveness.

If SW:TOR can pull off that mercurial feat of having everything behave the weay it's supposed to when it's supposed to (you guys know what I mean, right?) then it'll be another major check mark in the plus column.

But really, I just want to see what it feels like to have an immersive and cinematic RPG-type experience in a persistent world.

I just want to get lost in an MMO again...

That's my biggest hope for the game.

I could care less whether it "beats" WoW in some bizarre fan-driven contest, I just want tit to be fun. 

+1 *nods

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I'm so tired of these X MMO VS. Y MMO, these threads are so pointless...

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by firefly2003

I'm so tired of these X MMO VS. Y MMO, these threads are so pointless...

Especially when the gaming market is big enough to support more than one game. It can support BOTH WoW and TOR. They're not mutually exclusive. It can also support games like EVE, Darkfall, Aion, RIFT, WAR, AoC, and every other game on this site. Why? Because as long as a game is profitable for the developers, it's going to stay online. Period.

The MMO market isn't like Highlander. There can be more than one. Really.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Originally posted by stayontarget

Question is will SWTOR be the 3rd mistake or will it top WOW in overall quality.

If that is all you are looking for in a new game then yes it might do just that.  But then again Rift did a good job in the quality department compared to wow and still many people found the game lacking.

I think its because people want something more than just raids and pvp for level cap, minigames non-combat activities to keep you engaged till the next major content patch or expansion is released.