Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW Starter Edition is a gimmick...

GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Unless you are a new player you will not find WoW Starter Edition anything but one.

Heres my analysis of the new Starter Edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bS9MD8mRd8

Heres the Extended Gameplay which features all the limitations you can expect in WoW Starter Edition:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDUj8szaPCY

Make sure to comment, rate, and subscribe.

And below comment what you think about the Starter Edition... do you think its a gimmick? A good thing for the game? Or a bad direction by Blizzard?

Comments

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

You should have said what you can do with the trial if/when you reach the level cap of 20 for it. How many different dungeons can you run at level 20? How many achievements could you get? What restrictions are in the trial (like not being able to use global chat channels/the auction house/ 10gold cap/ cant join a guild etc...)

I played wow for several years but stopped afew months back, but when i heard this unlimited trial was released, i made a trial account and have been slowly leveling up 1 character to the 20 cap. The reason i'm doing this is because I think at some point down the road, Blizz will increase the level cap of the trial once again or make it all F2p. If they do I'll have one character prepared for that change.

Will many people start playing this as F2p & we'll see loads of level 20's running about all the time? I'm not sure.

• GeowashGeowash Member Posts: 372

Originally posted by theniffrig

You should have said what you can do with the trial if/when you reach the level cap of 20 for it. How many different dungeons can you run at level 20? How many achievements could you get? What restrictions are in the trial (like not being able to use global chat channels/the auction house/ 10gold cap/ cant join a guild etc...)

I played wow for several years but stopped afew months back, but when i heard this unlimited trial was released, i made a trial account and have been slowly leveling up 1 character to the 20 cap. The reason i'm doing this is because I think at some point down the road, Blizz will increase the level cap of the trial once again or make it all F2p. If they do I'll have one character prepared for that change.

Will many people start playing this as F2p & we'll see loads of level 20's running about all the time? I'm not sure.

Yeah I should have mentioned that rather then just pros and cons. And for them to make BC F2P as far as 1-20 goes I see them making all of Classic WoW F2P very soon with many great games going F2P. Ill take those words of yours into consideration for the Extended Gameplay im filming today though, because that is a good idea. 

Extended Gameplay for WoW Starter Edition is now live! It features my take on the limitations and what you can not expect from WoW Starter Edition. 

• RabidPengRabidPeng Member Posts: 4

WoW sucks in my opinion.

But, i do like the information that you put into the commentary.

Very Good, Can't wait for more videos!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by Geowash

Yeah I should have mentioned that rather then just pros and cons. And for them to make BC F2P as far as 1-20 goes I see them making all of Classic WoW F2P very soon with many great games going F2P. Ill take those words of yours into consideration for the Extended Gameplay im filming today though, because that is a good idea. 

Blizz have a problem with F2p, because they have redesigned the game to be about accessability and nerfing gradually to allow everyone to get access to everything there would be nothing to buy.   Can you imagine the shock and horror if they start making the game harder to make it f2p viable

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Blizz have a problem with F2p, because they have redesigned the game to be about accessability and nerfing gradually to allow everyone to get access to everything there would be nothing to buy.   Can you imagine the shock and horror if they start making the game harder to make it f2p viable

If you watched my Extended Gameplay I dont think it will ever be completely F2P, but possibly just 1-60, because eventually they will have so much content that they have to give some of it away =P

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I and a group of people want to play this WoW starter thing casually. But the limitations are so naff its just pointless. Not being able to create a guild, not being able to create a group etc etc.

I mean I know why the limitations of there because of certain gold spammers but you can cripple your conventional player with such limitations.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Originally posted by spades07

I and a group of people want to play this WoW starter thing casually. But the limitations are so naff its just pointless. Not being able to create a guild, not being able to create a group etc etc.

I mean I know why the limitations of there because of certain gold spammers but you can cripple your conventional player with such limitations.

It's so easy !

Free trials are just that. There made to give a basic feel only.

Free-To Play is NEVER NEVER free to play. When will people learn that. I understand that some people don't have money and I feel sorry for them.  But everyone hopes that a F2P game will screw up enough to give too much for free. This will never happen.

People think that D&D was the Holey Grail of F2P.  But it was not. Here is why :

D&D Online was already a hidden GREAT game that no one ever played from a bad release that got better in time. ALL ITS CONTENT WAS GREAT.  What people that only played F2P ( thinking they got a lot ) don't understand is that the pay content is Wayyyyy better than the free content.  They still got nothing compared to what the game really has to offer.

You had to pay for the monthly sub to understand.

• gothmog56gothmog56 Member Posts: 46

ive played f2p and p2p,your comment about p2p having better content  is unfounded,ive played several f2p tha thad better contnet than most p2p games. runes of magic,atlantica online,perfect world. the diffence id you pay what you want for what you want in f2p.i in fact pay more a month for f2p than i did for p2p. but osme months i dont buy a thing. thats MY choice. i played wow for a good year till i got fed up with the nerfs to my char class. paladin. the idea  tha t well i can go for armour cause that for the 'warrior' or cloth cause that for the caster made raids worthless for me to go on.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

TY OP for this post. It made me loled. It seems sadly that Blizz is scrambling to do whatever they can to maintain there grip on the MMO world.  Thankfully we don't have to wait to much longer for the gambit to swing.

Originally posted by Isturi

TY OP for this post. It made me loled. It seems sadly that Blizz is scrambling to do whatever they can to maintain there grip on the MMO world.  Thankfully we don't have to wait to much longer for the gambit to swing.

Yeah I dont know how they are going to pull of saving there game when so many great MMORPGs are headed our way... ArcheAge, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, and Tera? Plus Rift keeps getting wayyy better as it goes along and same with Aion. 

Thanks,

Zach Sharpes

• theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

Your 2nd video is much more informative about the restrictions that you have in the F2p version. I agree with your views that some of it is very over the top, like not being able to join a guild. I guess blizz dont want armies of level 20 noobs running around in their guilds doing things they shouldn't, like mass server lag.

Still i think this is just to test the water for Blizz. Probably more f2p stuff to come I'd bet. Oh and I doubt we've seen the last of Blizz's attempts to force a facebook/wow merge like before when the wanted to make people use their real names on the forums.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

It's so easy !

Free trials are just that. There made to give a basic feel only.

well at it's core its made so you feel a sample, that compells you to play on. Being able to experience a group and a guild I think is part of the game.

I mean as far as I'm concerned their limitation has cost them 5-6 possible customers.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

If they don't tie it into gamecards, like an initial gamecard unlocks 20 levels but permanent chat channels, mail, auction houses, guilld membership, etc. then other games will simply replace WoW over time especially, in my view, GW2.

Each next gamecard code would unlock a further 20 levels per account and its entitlements, including the next proportianate tier of skill caps, but would be in essence a free to play from then on, making money from future expansions and level unlocks. Maybe not as much as a sub + expansions but some money is better than no money IMO.

Originally posted by nyxium

If they don't tie it into gamecards, like an initial gamecard unlocks 20 levels but permanent chat channels, mail, auction houses, guilld membership, etc. then other games will simply replace WoW over time especially, in my view, GW2.

Each next gamecard code would unlock a further 20 levels per account and its entitlements, including the next proportianate tier of skill caps, but would be in essence a free to play from then on, making money from future expansions and level unlocks. Maybe not as much as a sub + expansions but some money is better than no money IMO.

They wouldnt do that because a casual player can reach 85 in 1 month, the player base of WoW isnt that dumb. Blizzard will soon probably make the first game fully free (Probably when the new xpac comes out), then BC will be 20$ (10$ on sale), Wrath will be 30$ (20$ on sale), Cata will be 40$ (30$ on sale, what it is now), and there new one will be either 50 or 60$ because blizzard can charge that. If they go first 60 levels F2P expect that to happen next year after they got the sh*t knocked out of them by GW2, SWTOR, Aion (improving and growing), Rift (Improving and growing), Tera, and any other MMO that is coming out probably next year. They are in a tough spot which is why they tested the waters with the first 20 levels F2P and unlimited... if they wernt worried about something, theres no way that they would have even made the first 20 F2P, they just would have simply kept the trials. 

-Zach Sharpes

• LethalBurstLethalBurst Member UncommonPosts: 367

Unless you are a new player you will not find WoW Starter Edition anything but one.

???

Why in the world would anyone be interested in the starter edition unless they were a new player? It's simply an extended free trial.

Originally posted by LethalBurst

???

Why in the world would anyone be interested in the starter edition unless they were a new player? It's simply an extended free trial.

Because some are older players that dont have access to there old accounts or dont want to pay money to start up again, but they want to see whats new in the game and see how the new starting zones have changed. I my self would have been interested if I hadnt played all of current Catalysm on my friends account.

Thanks,

Zach Sharpes

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Yeah I dont know how they are going to pull of saving there game when so many great MMORPGs are headed our way... ArcheAge, Guild Wars 2, SWTOR, and Tera? Plus Rift keeps getting wayyy better as it goes along and same with Aion. 

Thanks,

Zach Sharpes

Yeah, I don´t know how they are going to pull of (sic) saving there (sic) game when so many great MMORPGs are headed our way.. AOC, Darkfall, LOTRO, Warhammer, Aion...  Plus EQ2 keeps getting wayyy better as it goes along and same with SWG.

SWTOR may, or may not be a good game.. but it is the only one that will have a million paying subscribers 2 months after launch.  SWTOR will also bring in a lot of new people, rather then steal people from WOW.   SWTOR is VERY VERY SLOW gameplay wise.  They are doing a lot of new things.. but I doubt WOW players will like the gameplay.   Being forced to listen to long questgivers tell you a story before pickign up a quest?   Lots of non-eventful travel time?  I am not saying it is good or bad, but it is vastly different from WOW.   Imagine if WOW forced that ´slow scrolling´of quest text...

But honestly.. were you around when AOC and Warhammer were being launched within a few months of each other.. everyone was so sure that it would be the death of WOW.  SWTOR isn´t in beta yet and hasn´t had anything except quick press clips released.  But just after watching one 5 min movie, I know it won´t threaten WOW.  just way too slow of gameplay, way to much RP... just too different from wow where players don´t even want to return to questgivers anymore.  Again, not saying TOR is bad, just different.

Originally posted by Azrile

Thanks,

Zach Sharpes

Yeah, I don´t know how they are going to pull of (sic) saving there (sic) game when so many great MMORPGs are headed our way.. AOC, Darkfall, LOTRO, Warhammer, Aion...  Plus EQ2 keeps getting wayyy better as it goes along and same with SWG.

SWTOR may, or may not be a good game.. but it is the only one that will have a million paying subscribers 2 months after launch.  SWTOR will also bring in a lot of new people, rather then steal people from WOW.   SWTOR is VERY VERY SLOW gameplay wise.  They are doing a lot of new things.. but I doubt WOW players will like the gameplay.   Being forced to listen to long questgivers tell you a story before pickign up a quest?   Lots of non-eventful travel time?  I am not saying it is good or bad, but it is vastly different from WOW.   Imagine if WOW forced that ´slow scrolling´of quest text...

But honestly.. were you around when AOC and Warhammer were being launched within a few months of each other.. everyone was so sure that it would be the death of WOW.  SWTOR isn´t in beta yet and hasn´t had anything except quick press clips released.  But just after watching one 5 min movie, I know it won´t threaten WOW.  just way too slow of gameplay, way to much RP... just too different from wow where players don´t even want to return to questgivers anymore.  Again, not saying TOR is bad, just different.

Yeah I was around when those two were launching, but each launched unfinished. I dont think we will be seeing SWTOR, Guild Wars 2,  and Tera launching unfinished.