Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What download speeds?

SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

Can anyone tell me what minimum download speeds I need to play MMOs like WoW and not lag?

I am trying to sign up for high speed internet but the providers have different packages with different dl speeds.

Thanks.

Comments

• BrotheryangBrotheryang Member UncommonPosts: 174

You dont really need much. I live way out in the sticks and the best high speed i can get here is 1.2 mb. Thats pretty slow and i never lag. If im not mistaken mmo's only use a very small amount of bandwith per hour.

• TinudalisTinudalis Member UncommonPosts: 1

You don't need a very fast connection to play most MMO's. The biggest factor is the stability of your connection. You'll have problems if you have a lot of packet loss or latency. A fast connection with high latency will be worse to play on than a slower connection with low latency.

• SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

thanks!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The majority of MMOs are created to be able to play adequately over a 56kbps modem. Notice I said adequately not perfectly. What I have personally seen are data spikes up to about 150kbps.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Speed is only important for patching. Other than that low speeds these days are enough to play an MMO without lag.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by Woopin

Speed is only important for patching. Other than that low speeds these days are enough to play an MMO without lag.

Do you need that signature anymore? Thanks for volunteering while you did.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by Woopin

Do you need that signature anymore? Thanks for volunteering while you did.

Good catch had sigs turned off :)

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Where i live for now the fastest i can get is 2mb connection and i had no problem playing any old or new MMOS. As long as you get a good ping you will be fine even with 1mb connection.