Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars: Game Exploit Closed

MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758

The Guild Wars official site has an a short news bit on their exploitation policy.

As players may have noted, we took action to close a game exploit today. We would like to remind players that the willful use of exploits is against the EULA and the Rules of Conduct. Several players who used the exploit have had their Guild Wars accounts permanently banned. If you find an exploit, please contact us directly through [email protected]. We are grateful for the assistance of the community in such matters, and will attend to reports as promptly as possible.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Comments

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642
     You gotta respect that , Guild Wars is selling like hot Cakes and as long as they have those  who cheated , bubye!

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ClattucClattuc Member UncommonPosts: 163

So wait, you're saying they're against exploits? That exploits violate the rules of conduct?

Why didn't you warn me so I could sit down first! I can't take these shocks.

Next thing you'll be telling me that they regret recent downtime.

• TroyDarkswrdTroyDarkswrd Member Posts: 21

I don't know what the exploit was but if the people useing them got busted then I say GOOD. Every day I find another reason to like guild wars more and more and the fact that someone actually does something about cheaters is fantastic. I'm sick of the foul mouth kids that play this game two they have found out that they can call you anything they want and have it show up useing a simple trick.
    From now on I will be reporting these people to guild wars because we don't need the foul mouth scum of the earth in the game eighter.
    WAY TO GO GUILD WARS!!!!!!!!!!

Don't pull on a Dragons tail you never know where it's been!!

• mirandah824mirandah824 Member Posts: 1

This is what I like to see, an MMORPG team that actually does what it should. I am relatively new to these games, and don't use cheats of any kind. For example, I don't pay real money for in-game currency ( I think that's just ridiculous ), I earn every single coin I have. 

I am anxiously looking forward to purchasing Guild Wars, based on actions like these, great reviews, and the free online play. Guild Wars is what an MMORPG should be, and I can't wait to be a part of it, great job guys and gals!

• nissa_rednissa_red Member Posts: 30

Every, and I really mean EVERY (censored censored censored) f*cking MMOG should have the same policy about cheaters and hackers.

There is no excuse like "but but but we just started and need new subscribers". You will keep loosy customers on one side that give you bad reputation, and loose more customers on the other side that will have witnessed the cheat/hack and could have gotten that positive hype you need to boost off.

Ban the kids, their parents will thank you for saving money on their credit card !

• jadawinjadawin Member Posts: 37

Not taking monthly fees for the online service makes the decission to ban a cheater an easier one. Especially when closing the account forces the banned to buy a new copy of the game if he/she wants to play again.

Having said this I am absolutely positvie about banning cheaters. I strongly support the view they should be banned, regardless what game we are talking about. Still, Guild Wars does not make monthly profits of the gamers, so comparing their policy to the policy of subscribtion based games is a bit beside the point IMHO. If they decide to take monthly fees in the future their policy *might* get adjusted.

Just my 2 cent

• FauztFauzt Member UncommonPosts: 22

First off, GW is NOT an MMORPG for those that have said that.  If you go into it thinking that, you will be sadly disappointed.  The game is OK, but thats not what this post is about.

Personally I don't see what is so special about this.  The only thing really special is that though the game is not an MMORPG, they are banning (which would be the equivilent to banning in a FPS).  However, bans have happened in other MMORPGS many times before. 

• whitexninjawhitexninja Member Posts: 6

well, i think this is special because a game company is actually taking action on people in game, and this is very extreme in the case of Guild Wars because, if they ever want to play again they will have to purchase another copy of Guild Wars, they can't just make a new account. I feel this is a pretty good action, because with your average online roleplaying game ( i say online roleplaying game, because guildwars isn't an MMORPG, just an ORPG, but MMO's are included when i say 'your average online roleplaying game' ) whoever went against the rules and policies usually gets a banned account whether it's temporary or permanent, but in most cases, the banned player can just create a new account.

At this point i'm slightly lost as to what my point was because i got distracted so if my post made little or no sense, please excuse.

• darkraptordarkraptor Member Posts: 178

before anything else, quiet if you don't know what the xploit is. It wasn't a "anti-new player cheating" exploit. Read below.

christ, will people stop saying guildwars isn't a mmorpg? It's getting really insulting. Is it on MMORPG.com? Yes. Does that mean it's an MMORPG? yes. Once you leave the ascalon area you will begin to see what the game is really about.

massively multiplayer online roleplaying game = questing + lots of other people. That is what guild wars does. Same thing as WOW. Only difference is wow has more people crammed into places and has far less difficulty with raids to compensate for higher difficulty, where guild wars has things that are not just difficult but actually involve luck to a degree (and if you don't have that luck you fail). Oh, and guild wars is a thinkers game. Not just "click click level new skills"....using your brain makes questing easier AND makes things a lot more challenging.

The exploit for those who speak without knowing anything of it, was an XP exploit (a repeatable quest that would give the reward every time and took about 30 seconds). In guild wars levels mean nothing (cap is 20)....but that extra XP would allow them to get a lot of skill points on that character....allowing them to unlock a crapload of skills.

Now, this was not a newbie exploit. The area to perform the exploit was about 70% of the way into the game as far as current missions are concerned....so this is not somewhere you can get to in a day...it'd take a good solid week to get there. However, I'm glad to see them ban the exploiters....they deserve that.

Just because the game has well thought out PVP doesn't mean it's not a mmorpg. Where did kids grow up that a mmorpg isn't a mmorpg?

/rant

• whitexninjawhitexninja Member Posts: 6

lol, i managed to get a replied to by the only person that wouldn't correct me if i had just said MMORPG...