Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 and Tribes Universe

JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Are these two games going to be competing for the same niche market? Will they be in competition with each other?

I never really got the chance to check out the first Planetside, but ive heard very good things here and there... That being said, I loved the original Tribes games back in the day and cannot wait to see how the MMO turns out.

Thoughts on this from people with more experience in the Planetside universe?

Comments

• varnlestoffvarnlestoff Member Posts: 26

Both Sci-fi shooters touting the mmo label with persistent maps and 100+ players? Possibly. I think the biggest factor will be just how "persistent" tribes really is. Because it has the world, and then it has the "zones".

To pay for play, or pay not for play, that is the question.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You know I might get shot for this, but I have more confidence in SOE to be honest, they do at least have some decent games (PS1), as well as for the most part understand the difference between typical MMO mechanics and typcial FPS multi-player mechanics.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

I'm with PS2 SOE are using the people that built PS1 and PS1 is a game that was ahead of its time and amazing what it did for the tech of the time and broadband not common place. PS2 being in the hands of the old PS1 developers I just know they are going to put out something mind blowing. Until we see some solid Q&A on Tribes PS2 features look set to be hard to beat.

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by IAmMMO

I'm with PS2 SOE are using the people that built PS1 and PS1 is a game that was ahead of its time and amazing what it did for the tech of the time and broadband not common place. PS2 being in the hands of the old PS1 developers I just know they are going to put out something mind blowing. Until we see some solid Q&A on Tribes PS2 features look set to be hard to beat.

Some could argue that the TRIBES games were also way ahead of their time ;)

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

But yes, I agree, Planetside 2 is looking pretty goddamned awesome.

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Jonsus

Some could argue that the TRIBES games were also way ahead of their time ;)

So was Duke 3D......

• r0guyr0guy Member Posts: 115

To the OP,

I distinctly hearing at the time that Planetside was developped by a few of the guys from the Tribes 2 dev team (namely SporkFire), and having played both i can certainly vouch for the similarities:

the epic battles,

the vehicles,

the bases,

the command structure,

the setting,

the armor types,

the freedom to kit out your soldier as you choose,

the overall speed of combat,

deployables.

TBH it could have easily been called tribes 3 if only they changed the skins abit and added jetpacks. (even the BFRs aka giant mechs could've just been rebranded HERCs and voila it's a Starsiege game).

So to answer your question: Yes they will very likely compete with one another.

And will you like it if you enjoyed Tribes? Assuming PS2 delivers: If you enjoyed Tribes II you'll absolutely love it to bits!

Hope that helps!

• TenebrionTenebrion Member Posts: 179

I honestly don't expect Tribues Universe to see the light of day. If it does ever come out, though, it'll be after PlanetSide 2 has been released, and after it likely has a very large share of the consumerbase. 

Content Writer for RTSGuru.com
    And overall bitter old man.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I've heard that Planetside 2 is more like COD/BF than Tribes.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

To me it is purely a question of which is out first. If tribes ascend is out this year then for me thats where I will plunge my time.  Even though its ps3 only I think dust 514 will compete with the same market.  There is also this firefall or firefly cant remember may give that a go.

• PingmeisterPingmeister Member Posts: 51

Whichever one gives me more chances to switch from streaking across the gamefield for a quick-strike and then a few minutes later decide to throw up some turrets and ammo stations and then defend them at our base is gonna win my dollars.

I don't care which of them it is.  I'm just glad I have more than one to choose from.

• gakulegakule Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by EndDream

I've heard that Planetside 2 is more like COD/BF than Tribes.

I've heard that I doubt you've heard anything about the playstyle of Tribes and Planetside 2.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

I have never played Tribes or Planetside as I was a bit young back then and used to play mostly on consoles..That said both look good to me, I wanna see tho how customization and progression is handled by these 2 titles.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I played Tribes like crazy when i was 13, it was a great game. I'm just saying thats what I've heard, either way would be cool with me. I just want to play it on the ps3.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

I vaguely remember playing Tribes for a few hours.  All I remember was I was in a vehicle that had some sort of machine gun mounted on it, and the cone of fire was like 45-60 degrees.

• StrafingmirStrafingmir Member Posts: 24

You mean the same developers that destroyed the game with shit updates, and ground it's userbase into the dust with poor deicisions? Everything SOE touches starts off good and turns to a steaming turd, here's a list. Everquest 2, Planetside, DC Unirverse, Star Wars Galaxies, and every MMO they've aquired since the original EQ.

My suggestion is don't get too excited, If DCUO is any indication of the quality the new SOE is capable of i wouldn't be too hopeful. Tribes Universe is at least a fresh start.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

I think it’s nice that both will be made, and I think both can co exist, PS2 will be a zerg game, and you will have to pay to play, Tribes will be set number of players in any particular instance (controlled arena gameplay, great for competitive clanning) with a world style overview and will be free to play, so they both have very strong differences that appeal to many types of FPS/MMO players, my presumption is that many players will play both(esp as one is F2P), how much time is spent in each will depend on if the games are fun, mechanically bugless and have some form of strong balance, which brings me to the conclusion that the more arena competitive inclined players will play tribes more than PS2.
  • SimpleCrossSimpleCross Member UncommonPosts: 17

Well yea, if you played both planetside and tribes youd know that theres a huge prefference to what type of game you play.

If your more of Battlefield oriented with its take the the base and keep it then planetside is for you. O and it has tanks and flying schmack too :P

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

If I remember right, the origional Tribes was more of an e-sport type experience...not sure if Tribes Universe is going to go that angle or not. Never played Planetside, but getting pretty interested in Planetside 2. I wonder how the gameplay will compare with WWII Online. I liked WWII Online alot but couldn't really justify paying a subscription for it in the long term. Was fun, but not enough varience in game play or attachment to a character in order to stay sub'd. Plus the engine was pretty darn dated by the time I started playing it. I sub'd to it for about 6-9 months before dropping.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

I have nothing against SOE, eventhough its likely that I should at this point,  but I'm not going to lie,  I think HiRez will do much better.  Global Agenda is an amazing game,  done very well,  and it plays miles above how PS1 plays.

While you can't really compare them now, I actually have more faith in HiRez just from what I've seen with how they take care of GA.  

Its really too early to tell which will be better...  but I guess between the two developers, I do have more faith in one than the other.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

I would of given Tribes a chance but after i have seen how HiRez deals with aimbotters in their game ( or i should say doesnt care if people aim bot ) i will never play one of their games again.

• toljartoljar Member UncommonPosts: 227

I actually played GA from Alpha to and through release and I'm going to have to say I will NEVER play another HiRez game.

They do not listen to the people trying to help them make the game better.

They had more content in Beta then release.

1/2 of the systems were broken apon release and they just disabled them to rush the game out.

They fired HiRezChaz because of the amount of people leaving the game due to their terrible release. (he was one of the better community dev's I have seen in a very long time)

This list goes on. And before you ask yes I played every aspect of it, along with had an achievement name after our alliance (CTC) (Top Men).  I gave it my time however their broken promises in the end shun me away and Erez is very very wrong with the decision he forces his developers to do.

HiRez is a horrible studio and I'm sorry to spit on your thread but they have nothing to do even sitting in the same restroom as SOE does. The tribes game looks sort of like a normal tribe game but in the end HiRez will trist it into their sick twisted idea of a nightmare and it will become nothing more but dust in the wind.

Gaming community: IRONFIST
    New World: Lilith - US East
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Burning Legion> Alliance(We transferred to Illidan)
    WoW Guild: IRONFIST <Illidan> Horde
    SWOTR: IRONFIST <Satele Shan> Empire/Republic

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by toljar

I actually played GA from Alpha to and through release and I'm going to have to say I will NEVER play another HiRez game.

They do not listen to the people trying to help them make the game better.

They had more content in Beta then release.

1/2 of the systems were broken apon release and they just disabled them to rush the game out.

They fired HiRezChaz because of the amount of people leaving the game due to their terrible release. (he was one of the better community dev's I have seen in a very long time)

This list goes on. And before you ask yes I played every aspect of it, along with had an achievement name after our alliance (CTC) (Top Men).  I gave it my time however their broken promises in the end shun me away and Erez is very very wrong with the decision he forces his developers to do.

HiRez is a horrible studio and I'm sorry to spit on your thread but they have nothing to do even sitting in the same restroom as SOE does. The tribes game looks sort of like a normal tribe game but in the end HiRez will trist it into their sick twisted idea of a nightmare and it will become nothing more but dust in the wind.

If only Sierra Dynamix was still around to give Tribes: Universe it's real glory :(

TwitchTV: iNeoki

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

Personaly i think Hi-rez will make the better game for the fact that Hi-rez's first mmo they made was global agenda which is a shooter mmorpg and it is balanced and has great progression. The game itself is going in direction with more content updates and things that is improving the game. So yeah i think Hi-rez has tribes unviserse in the bag. Sony kind just makes flase promises and never deliveres

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

PS1 wasn't made by soe, they bought it at end of development and didn't have much of a clue about how it worked, which is why we have the same game today pretty much.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”