Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TSW: can somebody explain the hype to me?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/videos/play/1989/The-Secret-World-Location-Preview-Video.html

wow the combat looks pretty dull. The Animations seem lame. But is it a sandbox mmo or something? whats the hype?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Classless and leveless in addition to other features. The character models could use some work but I like the ideas behind the game.

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

Originally posted by MMOExposed

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/videos/play/1989/The-Secret-World-Location-Preview-Video.html

wow the combat looks pretty dull. The Animations seem lame. But is it a sandbox mmo or something? whats the hype?

No classes, no levels, no gear with stats and big influence of Lovecraft on lore. Also if you played AO, it is one of the most immersive MMO i have ever played and the same guy is behind the lore of TSW. I think those are plenty of reasons for me to get excited.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

there is no hype, it's all conspiracy

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Originally posted by Getalife

No classes, no levels, no gear with stats and big influence of Lovecraft on lore. Also if you played AO, it is one of the most immersive MMO i have ever played and the same guy is behind the lore of TSW. I think those are plenty of reasons for me to get excited.

No ARMOR with stats, but other items have stats. Like weapons. Some people are even talking about implants.

Also, would people stop whining about animations, it's getting fixed. It will be every bit as well-animated as Age of Conan.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by rpgalon
    there is no hype, it's all conspiracy

• BhorzoBhorzo Member Posts: 192

Honestly, this game wouldn't even be on my radar if it weren't for Ragnar. He's quite a story-teller, and I'd buy every game he ever makes.

The fact that there are no levels, and it's in a modern-day setting, and deals with stories not typically addressed in most video games - is certainly intriguing and compelling. But really I suspect many people are going to buy this game purely because it's led by Ragnar.

• melenkomelenko Member Posts: 19

I didn't even know it was Ragnar when I first looked, for me it's the modern day setting instead of the continuous fantasy styles coming out in everything else.

Then like others have mentioned, there's the Lovecraftian style and the lack of defined classes.

• WrapzWrapz Member Posts: 2

Well apart from the awesome HP Lovecraft inspired setting, and promised extensive character customization options you have a mmorpg built for truly diverse gameplay.

The Secret World boasts 500+ abillities (588 according to some sources) which can be aquired, and then  loaded out into player defined "Decks" of 7 passive, and 7 active abilties. This gives you awesome scope for kitting out your character for encounters, missions, etc. Best of all this isn't fixed so you can alter your ability loadout to adddress weaknesses in your party, fit a theme, experiment, tackle a certain objective, etc. Load out for different roles, try a new concept, or just experiment? This feature alone is a win for me.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I too worry about the combat and animations, but though they are one of the first things we pick up from previews, along with faces, which also need work, they are one of the last things polished.

From the recent footage the combat appears to be situational, with patterns of mob/boss behavour and enviromental mechanics, reactive positioning and gradual introduction of more mechanics, in other words, stratagy, exactly what we need to see more of in mmo combat. They still need to add more to compete with the "heroic" combat of TOR, "dynamic" of GW2 or "action" of TERA though.

As to hype, its setting is more novel than the other AAA mmos coming out, the skill system is more flexible, the tone and hopefully community more mature, there are 3 factions, something only Planetside2 can boast and location graphics seem more next gen than the others.

Finally there is a certain "cool" factor with TSW, being the dark horse of the big titles, and with no sci fi or fantasy stigma.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

There are a ton of things that put TSW at the top of my To Play list.

• Ragnar Tornquist is heading its development, who was one of the driving forces behind TLJ/Dreamfall, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

• Classless, Levelless. I'm rather tired of both of these concepts, and look forward to the change.

• Lovecraft-inspired lore.

• Multifaction (three unique factions), instead of polarized sides.

• Not Fantasy.

• Of the upcoming MMOs, it seems to be the most inclined to be a world rather than a themepark.

<3

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Why do you need an "explanation" of the hype for this game? Are you not able to make up your own mind? If you don't like move on, if you like it, very well, good for you.

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• Plus_OnePlus_One Member Posts: 47

I just found out about it, like 2 hours ago, lol.

The classless system attracts me.  It's seams almost like a Sandpark game.  There's plot and story but a lot of character freedom which i find attractive.

I was following SWTOR pretty intensly, but it's looking like it'll shape up to be just Generic MMO#12, so TSW is at least different.  Even if the graphics stay low end and it isn't the prettiest belle at the ball at least it'll be interesting.

Originally posted by Plus_One

I just found out about it, like 2 hours ago, lol.

The classless system attracts me.  It's seams almost like a Sandpark game.  There's plot and story but a lot of character freedom which i find attractive.

I was following SWTOR pretty intensly, but it's looking like it'll shape up to be just Generic MMO#12, so TSW is at least different.  Even if the graphics stay low end and it isn't the prettiest belle at the ball at least it'll be interesting.

What are you talking about, TSW has amazing graphical detail. As of now though, that's only visible in the area design, since characters are always last to get the visual job. I think a lot of people are just unfamiliar with Funcom's art direction, it's more natural than other game's stylistic looks (which I hate)

As far as ground, flora, creature textures go, and graphical settings, The Secret World will be king of the hill if it stands as is. But I guess those early pre-alpha videos (for example the one with the girl in her bedroom learning magic) can confuse people into thinking that's what the game will look like. Of course it won't, look at the chairs around the table, they are like octagons ROFL.

• AluviusAluvius Member Posts: 288

Can someone explain to me why every game on these forums gets this copy pasted passive aggressive thread started?  

"Game XXXX:  Explain Why My Opinion Is Valid And Yours Is Not?  I Said Explain Yourself!!!11!!"

• melenkomelenko Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by chrisel

Why do you need an "explanation" of the hype for this game? Are you not able to make up your own mind? If you don't like move on, if you like it, very well, good for you.

I'm finding it interesting to see what is attracting people to it

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

whats the hype?

There is no hype.  This forum has like 1 post a day, if that.

Aside from that:

- it's a new game from funcom.  for me it's a good thing, for others it's not.

- it's set in the present day.  for me it's a good thing, for others it's not.

- it's got a lot of lovecraftian lore to it.  for me it's a good thing, for others it's not.

- it's good amazing graphics using the AoC engine.  i'm pretty sure most people like good graphics.  

- it's got a classless and level-less skill system.  for me it's a good thing, for others it's not.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by melenko

Originally posted by chrisel
    I'm finding it interesting to see what is attracting people to it

I find the game interesting for a couple of reasons:
    * Urban Fantasy, not medieval fantasy or sci-fi.
    * The settings that reference modern urban myths and boogy men. Haunted schools, zombies, sea zombies, etc. Especially the references to Lovecraft.
    * Alternate Reality Game - I find the idea interesting and I want to see how it plays out. Using real world history as a base to influence in-game events and stories seems like an interesting idea.

It seems like it will be familiar enough to just pick up and play, but with enough new ideas to be interesting.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

The one major feature of this game that makes it interesting for me is the skill-system. I don't like to be locked into a class-system where I need to reroll a dozen of alts if I want to experience the whole game. One character should be able to do everything by simply switching gear and skills. This way you become attached to your character and that's where the RP starts... with you identifying yourself with your character.

Storytelling... well... I couldn't care less about this actually. I'm more interested in telling my own stories, which is unfortunately not going to happen without FFA-PvP and territorial warfare like found in EvE Online. Writing history and changing the face of the world (political landscape, building houses/stations, etc) is what I want to see more. ArcheAge seems to give us that option.

The animations, models and textures can be polished later on easily, so this is the absolute last thing I'm looking at actually. More important is the UI and the gamemechanics, but people usually don't get this.

So yeah. Is there hope that TSW will be a good game? Sure there is. However it all depends on endgame-content and the PvP-systems in place. PvE alone won't make this game that interesting or me, as I don't need a MMO for storytelling in a game, that's where singleplayer excels.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I can really only say why i'm interested in this game.

First off mr Ragnar, i loved his games..still do actually *laughs*

Second mysterious. Sounds like you got some puzzle solving going on in that game...not a surprise really considering the above reason.

Third modern day setting changed up a bit with monsters.

Those are my three reasons for following this game.

Plus a secret one that doesn't really revolve around the game but more so after it. If this does well funcom and Ragnar will have enough funds to finish up dreamfall like they said they wanted to do.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Some excellent features for a themepark MMO:

1. 3 FACTIONS!!!

2. Secrets/Puzzles gameplay and strong story pedigree being touted in a Modern-day: "Go read the esoteric section of the bookshop" for all the madcap/conspiracy/mystical mumbo-dan-browne inspired stories and goons and locations being put forth.

3. Classless/Levelless system of progress *v good to see* ie based on skill combinations unlocked.

4. Funcon using the AoC engine (looks nice)

5. this one eludes me...

However despite all this excellent start, I don't recall seeing any GAMEPLAY that has really bowled me over: It's all "on paper & good design decisons" to me so far.

Hype? No. Interested? Yes.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Originally posted by Bhorzo

Honestly, this game wouldn't even be on my radar if it weren't for Ragnar. He's quite a story-teller, and I'd buy every game he ever makes.

The fact that there are no levels, and it's in a modern-day setting, and deals with stories not typically addressed in most video games - is certainly intriguing and compelling. But really I suspect many people are going to buy this game purely because it's led by Ragnar.

This.

After playing The Longest Journey, multiple times through, back when it came out... I'd buy anything with his name on it.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

I haven't actually seen that much hype.  I know its on the hype meter, but as far as people hyping the game, I just don't see it.  There aren't that many threads concerning it, so I assume ppl are just taking a wait and see approach.

I self identify as a monkey.

Originally posted by arieste

- it's good amazing graphics using the AoC engine.  i'm pretty sure most people like good graphics. 

Not quite, the engine for TSW is based on the AoC engine, but comparing them is like comparing the Morrowind GameBryo engine to the Oblivion one. They are too different to be called the same. Even the re-code of the AoC engine last year only brought it up to Dreamworld 1.5, which still doesn't have all the features or middleware that The Secret World has.

One of the biggest difference is physics, which AoC doesn't have much of, and TSW will have quite a bit of.

• sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66

Its FUNCOM so for me no matter how nice the game was it would be no way.  There is no one more useless than FUNCOM well maybe Codemasters

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Alot of what I like about the game has already been said, so forgive any repeats.  

• Classes system:  create your character the way you want to.  Pick and choose how to build your character and the ability to switch it around between events in the game.

• Levelless system:  since there is no max level people won't be pressured to rush through levels just to reach "end" game.  The game can be the same from beginning to end and it will all be relevent to players.  There will always be some sort of progression to achieve instead of filling artifical emtpy bars to be rewarded with some dinging sound.  Ugh I hate that.

• Setting:  The game uses the whole world and interesting creative twists on legand and lore.  Some like the cthuluness, some the undertone of secret societies fighting for control of the world, some the mystery.  It really is a nice blend of elements.

• Ragnar:  he is well regarded for creating nice stories in his games and the story is being given a lot of attention in this new game.  At least by what they are saying. 

• Creative gameplay:  puzzles, alternate reality gameplay (web searching, etc), things in game having more meaning that clicking on someone with a flashing ! over their head.  I can't really put this into words, but the small things really add up to a bit more engaging looking gameplay.  Having to notice a flock of birds fly overhead that could lead to a special encounter is pretty cool.  Having to notice symbols hidden in the gameworld that might lead to a special location is pretty cool.  No huge glowing arrows to point out secrets to the players will be refreshing.

There have been far to many games released that have looked awesome and filled with wicked cool effects, but the gameplay sucked. 

I do think the animations and graphics of TSW could use more work, but they are servicable enough if the gameplay lives up to expectations.  They aren't jaw dropping, but they are not terrible either.  I'm fine with how they look right now and it wouldn't take much to tweak them from now to release.