Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick poll on the $10 DLC *charGing

CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

see poll

Take anything or nothing into consideration when answering... doesn't matter just want a quick blanket idea of people's thoughts.  Feel free to add comment of course.

To mods: sorry if starting another topic was bad but I couldn't poll results cleanly in another member's thread.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

Comments

• JudasaceJudasace Member Posts: 53

I don't mind companies having microtransactions or expansions or whatnot, but with DCUO there are some problems:

- They have repeatedly failed to live up to the promises made before launch about adding content. If they have ANY extra content at this point it should be added to the game to make up for everything they've failed to deliver on.

- The game is in an abyssmal state. Bugs, exploits, lack of population, you name it.

- This power set, IMO, is a core power set that should have been in the game from launch. Instead what we got were 6 generic power sets that didn't really reflect hte DCU at all. This is really just a design issue, but just highlights one of my major issues with the game, and that is that it feels incredibly generic.

If they had corrected those issues before starting on the money-grabs, I wouldn't have an issue with it (I bought a number of CoH's Booster Packs, for example) but as is, it just seems like they know they're sinking and are gouging the remaining players for anything they can.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468

it's whack

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I'd like to see a full-fledged expansion or sequel over DLC. In most cases, from my past experience, the value would be better for an expansion. DLC, to me, is like a major patch that I have to pay for.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• fionanshrekfionanshrek Member Posts: 104

Originally posted by Judasace

I don't mind companies having microtransactions or expansions or whatnot, but with DCUO there are some problems:

- They have repeatedly failed to live up to the promises made before launch about adding content. If they have ANY extra content at this point it should be added to the game to make up for everything they've failed to deliver on.

- The game is in an abyssmal state. Bugs, exploits, lack of population, you name it.

- This power set, IMO, is a core power set that should have been in the game from launch. Instead what we got were 6 generic power sets that didn't really reflect hte DCU at all. This is really just a design issue, but just highlights one of my major issues with the game, and that is that it feels incredibly generic.

If they had corrected those issues before starting on the money-grabs, I wouldn't have an issue with it (I bought a number of CoH's Booster Packs, for example) but as is, it just seems like they know they're sinking and are gouging the remaining players for anything they can.

Agree with this poster the ultimate problem is the game is content light as is so in fiarness they shouldn't be charging for this which would have been in game for free if not for that dud of a movie they released a few weeks ago as well.

Right now there isn't enough to justify paying for the game as it is let alone to pay for extra content.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

There's already a sub fee - rediculous!

• ShamorauShamorau Member UncommonPosts: 181

Originally posted by Judasace

agreed. If they fixed some of the current issues then they can release a paid for DLC. but my major problem is that this was meant to be part of the opening day powersets. it wasnt and now that they have it right, they want to charge for it. they want us to pay $ for there mistakes. not on in my book.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

If a game is worth it, then I see no problem. But if a game is just barely getting by, fails to attract new customers, and no one knows if said game will be around long I can't possible see this as a good thing. In fact, I'd think it would drive more players away, because its just bad PR.

For a MMO to start charging $10 for DLC some things need to occur:

1) Be fun to begin with

2) F2P model, or at least, the client needs to be free

3) Have a history of strong patches

This is by no means a done list, and I'm sure there are more.

I don't think its a good idea for a game like DCU. It had a large price tag, charges a monthly fee, and is seriously lacking in content. Why pay $15 a month if you also have to pay for DLC? Makes no sense. This does not instill confidence that the consumer is getting a value.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

The few players remaining seem to be more than happy to pony up the $10 for the DLC. I hope they aren't under the delusional belief, like $OE, that this DLC will bring back veterans and bring in new players.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Kazara

The few players remaining seem to be more than happy to pony up the $10 for the DLC. I hope they aren't under the delusional belief, like $OE, that this DLC will bring back veterans and bring in new players.

Shocking isn't it?!

To be honest, I voted that it was a bad idea, but I would like to change my vote. I think, for SOE, this was a brilliant move. I think they should go after every cent they can from those willing to pay it.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

Have they even given a release date on this damn thing? I looked at their site and it still says "Coming this Summer". I'm not a calender, but summer is pretty much done in about 3 weeks. We're not talking about the release of a whole game, just a DLC pack. The lack of a release date tells me that it will be a train wreck.