Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Swifty got banned from World of Warcraft!

Comments

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621

Originally posted by Kyleran

Originally posted by Golelorn

Originally posted by DanMcC

Originally posted by naraku209

Originally posted by grunty

Originally posted by nhavas

Yeah... uh... What's a swifty?

Someone able to create 3,000 likes and 1,000 dislikes for a video that only 300 people have looked at.

you do know that it doesn't update immediatly when it comes to views right?

I don't know what a Swifty is either.

If you guys can't figure out what a Swifty is after viewing the video, then no one will be able to explain it to you. I imagine you guys are purposely being dim in an attempt to prove that you don't care who he is. If you don't like the thread, or could care less, don't click it. Why read the thread, then make a comment about not knowing what a Swifty is when its right in the link? There are only two possible explanations.

ER perhaps because we don't click random links in threads or even watch You-Tube videos?  Maybe someone will take the time to give a short history/synopsis of who Swifty is and why the heck we should care?

Good show as always Kyleran.

You managed to nail the issue spot-on.

(Oh and whatever happened to soft linebreaks, can't even drop down a line without making this huge gap.)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

So.....how about the other people on the servers then? What about the guys that were in the middle of a raid when Mr Famous crashed them with his event?

Just saying :).

Still......don't know who the guy is.

But in all fairness, this is why CCP asks you to announce a fleetwar to them, so they can move the area into its own cluster.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Originally posted by Kapazo

Swifty got banned from WoW. I's it right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-DFfBUA6vM

"Swifty’s a devoted game tester, testing games that are on closed betas and usually always testing and experimenting to find ways to excel in any game. Today, he makes tutorial videos with the strategies and secrets he finds in the games,  releases them in videos that he posts on YouTube (www.youtube.com/johnsju).

His goal? To help others become better at games through his tutorial videos. He gets great satisfaction when he gets feedback from players who have had great success in games as a result."

All the videos of his I have seen are mostly about PvP doing different classes against others and what best to use.

• AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by BizkitNL

So.....how about the other people on the servers then? What about the guys that were in the middle of a raid when Mr Famous crashed them with his event?

But in all fairness, this is why CCP asks you to announce a fleetwar to them, so they can move the area into its own cluster.

Swifty is a hardcore gamer (mainly plays WoW) who has a youtube channel, twitter, facebook etc etc. He posts WoW videos and often shares useful information about different classes along with in game stuff he does as well as real life stuff. The cool thing about swifty is he does free giveaways on his you tube channel often giving away Razor mouses, keyboards, headsets, messenger bags, etc. I think somehow he is sponsored by Razor. Either way it reminds me of the old Ben leeroy jenkins Shulz days. So, that's who swifty is and that's why he is well known in the WoW community. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Ausare

"Swifty’s a devoted game tester, testing games that are on closed betas and usually always testing and experimenting to find ways to excel in any game. Today, he makes tutorial videos with the strategies and secrets he finds in the games,  releases them in videos that he posts on YouTube (www.youtube.com/johnsju).

His goal? To help others become better at games through his tutorial videos. He gets great satisfaction when he gets feedback from players who have had great success in games as a result."

Now this was helpful, and I missed it the first time around, thanks for sharing it again.

Now, why did he get banned, that's still what I haven't learned yet.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't know Swifty, but he's got his account back apparantly. I'm pretty sure that it was because Blizzard execs seen this guys video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcVRdQjmXIo&feature=related

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Indeed, this guy i do follow, a certain TotalBiscuit has managed to bring down several websites just by casually mentioning them, that could very well be mistaken as an attempt of denial of service to the wrong people.

When you have the kind of influence these people do, you also gain some sort of responsibility not to let your fanbase go and do something stupid because of something you carelessly said or did in passing on your particular medium, this time it was a few servers that went down due to a failed attempt at crowd control.

• RajCajRajCaj Member UncommonPosts: 704

Interesting post.  The wording Blizzard uses to describe super player run events was "forming large groups in an in-game public outbreak"

Thats sort of an interesting way of describing a massive amount of players that get together to carry out a player created event......public outbreak...haha

Seriously though, its evident that this game wasn't designed to handle that load of people.  This is a themepark game, not a sandbox.  Players are supposed to be in groups of 5, 10, 15, and 20....and running instanced content.  Not in a group of 4k in a single open world zone.  Thats probably and assumption they made when designing their hardware / software....that there would never be a pre-programmed in-game reason for that many people to be in the same zone.

One of the advantages of theme-park development is that you get more control over the customer base to help with resource loading...by "guiding" them to the appropriate zones via quests & level parity between you and monsters...as to dispurse the playerbase and not cause crowding.

Put simply.....what Swifty tried to conduct an event that went outside the original scope of the game (or what the game could handle).  I don't think they should have banned him.....and I think they have rightfully reinstanted his account.  With that said, you can't allow a group or person to potentially create a situation where you have hundreds-thousands of other PO'd players because the server crashed in the middle of a raid fight, or any other negative side effect of an unannounced shutdown.

Blizzard should have just warned all the players involved in the event (or atleast the guild leaders) and issued a "Blue" statement to the internetz warning of the activity & consequences if they were worried that some other more nefarious folks would try to exploit what Swifty discovered on accident.

Now this was helpful, and I missed it the first time around, thanks for sharing it again.

From what I know he was doing an event.  He is partnered with Razor and does promotions, gives Razor products, and builds up his fan base for his Youtube channel.  He held an event and told people to make new characters and have a Swifty/Razor/WoW appriciation rally.  It crashed a server.  He told people to try and not crash the server.  They moved to another server and did it again.  Some people came and flooded the server with new hunters and pets and started to spam whatever they could.  2nd server crashed.  Swifty went to a third.  The same people from the second came and crashed the third.  Swifty got banned because it was his event. 

Blizzard GM's then got swarmed with people requesting Swifty be brought back.  Blizzard email and phone supports swamped.  Then people posted "evidence" (what ever that is) of the others trying to drop the servers and that Swifty was saying not too.

Blizzard brought Swifty back, but want him to inform them of future events or he would be held accountable for who shows up.

Guess it was a internet meet and greet for him.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

His video state that there was an event his guild or network of people were hosting. They keep switching off people who would "lead" the event and when it got to be his turn the event advanced to a state where the server was no longer able to handle it and it crashed. Gathering from his video when he logged back on he got a tell from the GM saying his account violated one of the rules and was being banned.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by Ad-am

Swifty is a hardcore gamer (mainly plays WoW) who has a youtube channel, twitter, facebook etc etc. He posts WoW videos and often shares useful information about different classes along with in game stuff he does as well as real life stuff. The cool thing about swifty is he does free giveaways on his you tube channel often giving away Razor mouses, keyboards, headsets, messenger bags, etc. I think somehow he is sponsored by Razor. Either way it reminds me of the old Ben leeroy jenkins Shulz days. So, that's who swifty is and that's why he is well known in the WoW community. 

Much obliged :). Free giveaways does tend to attract people :).

From what I know he was doing an event.  He is partnered with Razor and does promotions, gives Razor products, and builds up his fan base for his Youtube channel.  He held an event and told people to make new characters and have a Swifty/Razor/WoW appriciation rally.  It crashed a server.  He told people to try and not crash the server.  They moved to another server and did it again.  Some people came and flooded the server with new hunters and pets and started to spam whatever they could.  2nd server crashed.  Swifty went to a third.  The same people from the second came and crashed the third.  Swifty got banned because it was his event. 

Blizzard GM's then got swarmed with people requesting Swifty be brought back.  Blizzard email and phone supports swamped.  Then people posted "evidence" (what ever that is) of the others trying to drop the servers and that Swifty was saying not too.

Blizzard brought Swifty back, but want him to inform them of future events or he would be held accountable for who shows up.

Guess it was a internet meet and greet for him.

Well...thats a bit more true to a "Public Outbreak" as Blizzard has described it.

If they crashed a server and made the decision to try again on another server....you might be able to claim deniability, but personally I would have shut it down after that point.  If you crash the second server and move to a THIRD....its pretty much evident for anyone with a brain that the massive number of people is whats causing the servers to crash.  3 strikes your OUT.

But again....they shouldn't have resorted to a full on ban.

• logun24x7logun24x7 Member Posts: 7

Just how massive is a massively multi-player game anyway? Invite a few friends but not too many or you’ll get banned …. LOL  

If you advertise your game as a massively multi-player game and your servers crash when a few hundred people show up in the same zone... then you find one of them to blame it on ….come on, so if I get to popular as a WoW player I could get band….LOL

Ok so maybe they got caught up in the moment and got carried away, everyone has imperfect moments perhaps a 3 to 5 hour suspension for everyone present might have been in order to break up the storm of player’s but to pick one person out and say you’re the cause of this is BS.

Banning Swifty was just dumb, the guy promotes the game for crying out loud Blizzard should be giving him a Job if he can still organize enough players to come together in one spot to take down the server….LOL ….sound like great fun … hey Blizzard ganking is part of the game …hehe.

I actually recently re-subed largely because of Swifty’s videos on youtube and his support of the Razor products.

I’m glad Blizzard came to their senses and unbanned the guy, but I’m afraid that this has drawn so much attention to this flaw in Blizzard’s server load handling there will now be a string of flash Mob malicious attacks.  

Good Luck Bliz

Originally posted by logun24x7

Just how massive is a massively multi-player game anyway? Invite a few friends but not too many or you’ll get banned …. LOL  

If you advertise your game as a massively multi-player game and your servers crash when a few hundred people show up in the same zone... then you find one of them to blame it on ….come on, so if I get to popular as a WoW player I could get band….LOL

Ok so maybe they got caught up in the moment and got carried away, everyone has imperfect moments perhaps a 3 to 5 hour suspension for everyone present might have been in order to break up the storm of player’s but to pick one person out and say you’re the cause of this is BS.

Banning Swifty was just dumb, the guy promotes the game for crying out loud Blizzard should be giving him a Job if he can still organize enough players to come together in one spot to take down the server….LOL ….sound like great fun … hey Blizzard ganking is part of the game …hehe.

I actually recently re-subed largely because of Swifty’s videos on youtube and his support of the Razor products.

I’m glad Blizzard came to their senses and unbanned the guy, but I’m afraid that this has drawn so much attention to this flaw in Blizzard’s server load handling there will now be a string of flash Mob malicious attacks.  

Good Luck Bliz

Congrats on missing the point.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Thanks to those who posted what happened and to whom.

Glad to hear they restored his accounts, he does seem like a valuable asset to the community and didn't realize the limitations a WOW server has. (probably true for every MMO, even EVE can't cram 10K people in a single location)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maimeekraimaimeekrai Member UncommonPosts: 256

Name the Massively Multi-player Online game that can support 1000's of players in the same zone/instance.

If Swifty and his guild didn't consider a server crash as a possibility, they must be noobs to MMO's...

------- END TRANSMISSION

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by maimeekrai

Name the Massively Multi-player Online game that can support 1000's of players in the same zone/instance.

If Swifty and his guild didn't consider a server crash as a possibility, they must be noobs to MMO's...

Rift can.

But anyways, while they may have been ignorant in not anticipating a server cash, it still was not intentional. If it were his intention to crash the server, I would agree that the ban were justified, but in this case it was just player ignorance. Punishing a player for inadvertantly causing a problem is just ridiculous. At worst they should have warned him for a first offense.

• GwingGwing Member Posts: 85

I got banned 2 nights ago too dont see me whinning and crying about it...fucking losers.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I say ban him, never played WoW or care about it but good on Blizzard for trying to add some Eve like drama to the forums here.

Originally posted by Ceridith

Rift can.

But anyways, while they may have been ignorant in not anticipating a server cash, it still was not intentional. If it were his intention to crash the server, I would agree that the ban were justified, but in this case it was just player ignorance. Punishing a player for inadvertantly causing a problem is just ridiculous. At worst they should have warned him for a first offense.

Which we can't know if it was, obviously.

Also, ignorance is not an excuse, his event still managed to crash the servers regardless if he knew the risks or not, thrice in succession i might add.

Good Luck Bliz

It was more than a few hundred friends.  The guy apparently advertized freebies for a guild event in effort to publisize himself, his guild, and apparently Razor.....which netted them over 4,000 people.   

So if your Blizzard, and your getting slammed with customer tickets and other system performance notifications...telling you servers are shutting down...creating a bunch of PO'd customers.....and you find out it was a guy giving a bunch of Razor crap away for free, what would you do?  You have to do something.  You can't allow 1 customer to potentially cause 100 others to quit...expecially when your not gaining anything substantial out the deal.

I don't think she should have been instantly perma banned......but you can't frame this to be Blizzard putting its big shoe on a poor customer's neck for organizing this moderately sized guild event.

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by RajCaj

Good Luck Bliz

It was more than a few hundred friends.  The guy apparently advertized freebies for a guild event in effort to publisize himself, his guild, and apparently Razor.....which netted them over 4,000 people.   

So if your Blizzard, and your getting slammed with customer tickets and other system performance notifications...telling you servers are shutting down...creating a bunch of PO'd customers.....and you find out it was a guy giving a bunch of Razor crap away for free, what would you do?  You have to do something.  You can't allow 1 customer to potentially cause 100 others to quit...expecially when your not gaining anything substantial out the deal.

I don't think she should have been instantly perma banned......but you can't frame this to be Blizzard putting its big shoe on a poor customer's neck for organizing this moderately sized guild event.

Its a girl?

Thanks to those who posted what happened and to whom.

Glad to hear they restored his accounts, he does seem like a valuable asset to the community and didn't realize the limitations a WOW server has. (probably true for every MMO, even EVE can't cram 10K people in a single location)

In any piece of software / hardware really.

In any project, requirments are needed to understand the limitations of the "stuff" used to solve the problem. 

Sooo....when they were sitting down trying to figure out the load requirment for the hardware / software to maintain a certian level of performance....they had to make a consious decision about what is the most amount of people we would ever expect to be in a zone (practically).  Again, with this being a themepark MMO, mechanics are in place in the game to ensure that there aren't any situations where you have too many people hanging out in one zone.....they are called quests & monster level parity.

They could have potentially designed a system that could handle more...but why spend the extra cost when 99.999999% of the time, you'll never have that scenario.

Originally posted by Ceridith

Rift can.

Well from what I read, they all moved to another server after they crashed the first.  If your a complete noob to technology or MMO gaming, you might not coorelate having 4k people in one zone and the server crashing...you can be givne benefit of doubt.  But when you crash the second and you move to a third, and there are reports of people intentionally spamming stuff once the crowd at large realized the fun game......I think you might have an idea what your event is doing to Blizzard's service.