Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: The Original Release Reviewed

Comments

• Matt0rz90Matt0rz90 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Murugan

Originally posted by Matt0rz90

Originally posted by Abriael

You are placing an actual definition of "playing the game" I see?

The reviewer indeed made a character and took screenshots, as you said. Does this not consititute playing the game? They also discussed leve quests... so they must have done some of those too, right? The game also launches you in to your first story quest, so the reviewer played through that too, right?

No matter what rules of "playing the game" you place on other people, this reviewer indeed played the game.

Ah, more strawman arguments, I see.

The elements you listed can easily be read on a forum or anywhere else on the internet.

Reviewing a game, and especially one as complex as a MMORPG requires quite a lot more "playing the game" than just installing it, creating a character, and strolling around for a hour or two. 

There was no straw man argument being made. Please look up what this means (as well as hyperbole) before placing the word in almost every single post you make.

As I have previously said, the reviewer has played the story quest, gone through their leve quests and has taken the time to do all of these in each city.

That constitutes having played the game, not just "strolling around".

{mod edit}

Evidence that the reviewer started a character in all three cities:

"The opening cinemas for the three starting lands are impressive, I won’t deny that."

Evidence that the reviewer played the tutorial story quests:

"In fact, the quest which begins during this tutorial phase is a great example of what awaits players: Monotonous running around, lukewarm cut scenes"

• AbriaelAbriael Member Posts: 129

There was no straw man argument being made. Please look up what this means (as well as hyperbole) before placing the word in almost every single post you make.

As I have previously said, the reviewer has played the story quest, gone through their leve quests and has taken the time to do all of these in each city.

Maybe you should look them up, as the use of those two definition is perfectly fitting to this case. 

You're misrepresenting and misconstruing my arguments, arguing against such misrepresentation instead of them (because you can't counter them in their original form and content), which is a by-the-book strawman argument. 

The review overdramatizes and overemphasizes almost all the negative points listed, which is again a by-the-book example of widespread use of hyperbole, that is a misrepresentation of reality.

Played the story quest? Then why didn't she post pictures of the story quest past the very few cutscenes that you get before entering the game proper? Gone through leve quests? Where's the evidence of that?

Nothing proves that she did actually play the game further than strolling around a couple hours, while the choice of pictures quite evidently shows that either she's been extremely lazy, or she simply didn't go beyond that. In both cases they definitely undermine the credibility of this review. 

Evidence that the reviewer started a character in all three cities:

"The opening cinemas for the three starting lands are impressive, I won’t deny that."

Evidence that the reviewer played the tutorial story quests:

"In fact, the quest which begins during this tutorial phase is a great example of what awaits players: Monotonous running around, lukewarm cut scenes"

Aside from the fact that that is no "evidence", as she could write that the sky is orange, even if we decided to just go ahead and do a leap of faith trusting what she writes, that costitutes less than a couple hours of gameplay, which is nowhere near what's needed to review a game, let alone a MMORPG.

Mate, you're digging your own grave.

• Matt0rz90Matt0rz90 Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Godshelp

Originally posted by Abriael

You are placing an actual definition of "playing the game" I see?

The reviewer indeed made a character and took screenshots, as you said. Does this not consititute playing the game? They also discussed leve quests... so they must have done some of those too, right? The game also launches you in to your first story quest, so the reviewer played through that too, right?

No matter what rules of "playing the game" you place on other people, this reviewer indeed played the game.

Ah, more strawman arguments, I see.

The elements you listed can easily be read on a forum or anywhere else on the internet.

Reviewing a game, and especially one as complex as a MMORPG requires quite a lot more "playing the game" than just installing it, creating a character, and strolling around for a hour or two. 

{mod edit}

When I said each city, I meant making a new character in each one to see how they differed in terms of story and cut scenes.

Also I gather you're getting the character's level from the screenshots? That might have been their level at that time but after some guildleves that would have gone up considerably.

None of the screenshots show the reviewer's character's name so we couldn't do a lodestone lookup to check this so we cannot be certain either way but I will not outright believe they are lying without proof stating otherwise.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,019

I think I lasted a month. That was at least 6 months ago. I see nothing has changed.

Originally posted by free2play

I think I lasted a month. That was at least 6 months ago. I see nothing has changed.

Oh, a lot has changed. This review is simply a misrepresentation of the current state of the game, while your post is just another example of the detrimental effects of that kind of misrepresenting reviews. 

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,667

Nevermind. 

Originally posted by Jimmac

You guys are disgustingly terrible at pyramid quoting. Delete any text in any of the quotes that isn't relevant to your current point. Of the remaining text, highly the particular parts you're replying to. 

Eh, unfortunately this forum is poorly coded and the so called "enhanced editor" makes it very hard to do so effectively. I use the BBML editor to do so, but can't demand everyone to do it. 

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member UncommonPosts: 1,474

The lack of fluid fast paced lip numbing combat turns me off. But when everything comes into play, I'd have to say this is my least favorite mmorpg of all time.

• GodshelpGodshelp Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by moosecatlol

The lack of fluid fast paced lip numbing combat turns me off. But when everything comes into play, I'd have to say this is my least favorite mmorpg of all time.

Lame saying is lame.

Friday is the start of the big revamp for this game.  Including a combat overhaul...

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Dare I say Friday will be the final straw...

I already talk players online, they say they will leave if the overhaul is failure..

The combat overhaul every fan boi is harping about... it's auto attacking...

Yea, sad.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

Face it, the game is the same piece of trash that it was on release.

And about the patch, I have NEVER EVER saw a wonder patch, in any game.

Sure, I can write a bunch of titles that claim that are preparing a wonder patch. But no such thing exists! It NEVER existed!

So, I should believe that SE, that launched a game that was so bad that I quit while testing it (so I couldn't bare playing/testing it for free), will get themselves together and release the grand-daddy of all patches. Seriously? You people are naive, if you believe that.

What about the actual maps in the game? Are you gonna claim that they are not copy/pasted from small premade pieces, and put together in a big "deja-vu"-puzzle? Is there a patch for that too?

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Only thing good about this game was the pretty graphics.  Other than that it was one of the worst games I ever played.  I agree with some ppl 5/10 is generous.

Feel bad for those people in japan, but this game came out before that disaster and I'm not gonna cut them a break  and imma speak my opinion. The game sucks. You need to change the whole thing around or just get rid of it. 

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Godshelp

Originally posted by free2play

{mod edit}

Think I may try and go check it out to see if I notice much of a difference. Last time I played it was the same thing over and over. Pick up a few cards go do a few kill quests and that was all there was to do.  Very boring.. maybe it has changed, I hope that's the case because like other people said it was boring and tedious.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• MustardtigerMustardtiger Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by BTrayaL

Sure, I can write a bunch of titles that claim that are preparing a wonder patch. But no such thing exists! It NEVER existed!

So, I should believe that SE, that launched a game that was so bad that I quit while testing it (so I couldn't bare playing/testing it for free), will get themselves together and release the grand-daddy of all patches. Seriously? You people are naive, if you believe that.

What about the actual maps in the game? Are you gonna claim that they are not copy/pasted from small premade pieces, and put together in a big "deja-vu"-puzzle? Is there a patch for that too?

No one is calling it a "wonder patch" it's laying the foundation.

And yes....... there is full map and zone overhauls coming in future, so there is a patch for that. They have already realized the issues with the maps / zones, and are doing full overhauls.

Just another example of people who played during Beta / the initial release, and have no idea the new direction and shape the game is talking.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

"What about the actual maps in the game? Are you gonna claim that they are not copy/pasted from small premade pieces, and put together in a big "deja-vu"-puzzle? Is there a patch for that too?"

In one of the interviews, the producer even admitted that they copied and pasted some parts of the world.

Originally posted by Mustardtiger

And yes....... there is full map and zone overhauls coming in future, so there is a patch for that. They have already realized the issues with the maps / zones, and are doing full overhauls. Just another example of people who played during Beta / the initial release, and have no idea the new direction and shape the game is talking.

I really have to disagree with you there. A week ago I loged in, it took me good few minutes to figure out how to kill a mob. So the UI is still just as horrandous.

Originally posted by nomss

"What about the actual maps in the game? Are you gonna claim that they are not copy/pasted from small premade pieces, and put together in a big "deja-vu"-puzzle? Is there a patch for that too?"

In one of the interviews, the producer even admitted that they copied and pasted some parts of the world.

Yeah, admitted they are aware of the shitness of some of the maps, and informed us that they are doing full zone redesigns on these.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Yes there is actually.

Here is some information on it from the producer himself:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/12971-One-to-Fifty-One-Zone-Long-OP?p=186771&viewfull=1#post186771

It's called research. 

Yeah, admitted they are aware of the shitness of some of the maps, and informed us that they are doing full zone redesigns on these.

Dude, after almost a year or so, if we're still complaining about UI, than I would call this bad progress. And if as little thing as UI has not been fixed in a year, than when are we going to see the world re-disign?

And yes....... there is full map and zone overhauls coming in future, so there is a patch for that. They have already realized the issues with the maps / zones, and are doing full overhauls. Just another example of people who played during Beta / the initial release, and have no idea the new direction and shape the game is talking.

I really have to disagree with you there. A week ago I loged in, it took me good few minutes to figure out how to kill a mob. So the UI is still just as horrandous.

What are you disagreeing with? I wouldn't call it "horrandous" and it's definitely less shit if you use a controller.

• GhumpGhump Member UncommonPosts: 11

The game sucks harder than a collapsed star!

And the review pretty much sums up my feelings about most Square Enix games at the moment. I just really REALLY hope Deus Ex is the one exception to that rule...

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 554

I was just thinking that I was thinking that that ------

WHY DID THE PRODUCERS THINK THEY COULD GET AWAY WITH IT AND EVERYONE WOULD LOVE A UNFINISHED GAME?

Originally posted by Datcyde

I was just thinking that I was thinking that that ------

WHY DID THE PRODUCERS THINK THEY COULD GET AWAY WITH IT AND EVERYONE WOULD LOVE A UNFINISHED GAME?

Who said they got away with it? The original producer did get the shitcan... so...? The game is free still, while they attempt to save it.

If it was actually his fault, or the big boss rushing him, who knows. I don't like the game in it's current state, I definitely don't love it, but I've been playing since release, and I like the new direction.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

To sum all this up:

- The map is TO BE FIXED..

- The quest system is TO BE FIXED.. 

- The UI is TO BE FIXED.. 

- The combat is TO BE FIXED.. 

... are we still talking about a game? What game? Where is the game? I only see a list of things.. TO BE FIXED..