Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If WoW was your MMORPG, would you revamp it?

BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

World of Warcraft is a great game.  I have loved it.  But it's gone stale for me lately. 

The crafting is terrible.  It's really not even necessary to learn a profession other than gathering since the gear is obsolete so early in the game, takes too long to get materials for, and leveling up the profession gives you nothing you couldn't buy from someone else, so it's not profitable at all.

Instances are fun.  But how many can you do before it's the same thing over and over?  Where is the change of scenery?  What else is there to do besides PvP, which I won't talk about since I don't do PvP?  Raiding is just large scale instances with more stress involved.

Instances, daily quest grinding, PvP.  That's the World of Warcraft we live in.

So, in it's current state, I think it's safe to say that World of Warcraft is at a plateau, or even on a decline.  If it was your MMO, would you be daring to shake things up and revamp the overall game?  Or would you prefer to keep it the way it is and let it die out slowly but surely?  If revamping, what would you do to it?

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

I'd turn it into a sandbox to rival all other sandboxes and when it dies the industry can point to sandboxes and laugh!

:D

Just kidding.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I would leave it as is and just milk the remaining playerbase for all they are willing to give.

Maybe toss in some special cash shop pets and mounts to milk the addicts further that are into WoW like its a religion or some cyber doll version of facebook.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• fallonfallonfallonfallon Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Boge

World of Warcraft is a great game.  I have loved it.  But it's gone stale for me lately. 

The crafting is terrible.  It's really not even necessary to learn a profession other than gathering since the gear is obsolete so early in the game, takes too long to get materials for, and leveling up the profession gives you nothing you couldn't buy from someone else, so it's not profitable at all.

Instances are fun.  But how many can you do before it's the same thing over and over?  Where is the change of scenery?  What else is there to do besides PvP, which I won't talk about since I don't do PvP?  Raiding is just large scale instances with more stress involved.

Instances, daily quest grinding, PvP.  That's the World of Warcraft we live in.

So, in it's current state, I think it's safe to say that World of Warcraft is at a plateau, or even on a decline.  If it was your MMO, would you be daring to shake things up and revamp the overall game?  Or would you prefer to keep it the way it is and let it die out slowly but surely?  If revamping, what would you do to it?

WoW has definetely hit its peak , and is slowly declining . That said its still a fun game to play ! Plus professions do give you stuff that other players cant use unless they have the profession. Like for example JC only JC can use the +50 gems normal players can only use the +40 or somthin like that. idk not a jc personally i have inscription which gives you shoulder enchants twice as powerful as the rep shoulder enchants. can only be used by inscriptionist..so professions do have a point to them. Plus leveling a profession is not that bad i can do it in about a week with little to no gold. On apersonal level its the gear grind that gets me..i HATE IT!

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

"Time is money, friend!"  If you don't spend the thousands of gold to up your professions for that extra 100 attack power on your shoulder enchant, you have to spend the time, which is worth thousands of gold in materials anyway.  It just doesn't seem anywhere close to worth it in my opinion.

If it were my game, I'd try to make the class system much deeper, maybe more of a cross class system.  I'd make the crafting much deeper and more useful at all levels.  I'd also add crafted recipes for housing (which I'd also add).  I would make all of the instances scalable, so all of the dungeons could be end game content rather than forgotten.  And I would introduce random generated loot so it's not a repeat grind over and over for that one stupid elusive piece of clone equipment.  And, of course, I'd give the players their ever so desired Appearance Tab.

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Of course.

1. Revamp the engine to handle more polygon renders per frame and  rebuild the server to allow for dynamic load balancing for large open world raids and PVP.

2. Add housing and guildhalls.

3. Add one more hero class the Demon Hunter same as illidan.

4. Revamp all the old dungeons and raids. make it so before capped level players can complete end game they have to run old raids/dungeons for boss/mini-boss tokens so they can gain entry in to firelands or the next xpac end boss.

5. Revamp crafting to include 4 more professions that allow you to craft a host of new items/and stuff. make resource gathering all one gathering skill.

6. make all beast tamable and allow for henchmen simular to TORS companions.

7. Revamp arena and make it so on entry to the arena you can only choose premade characters like GW's has.then remove all honor gear and allow old BG's for leagcy players and focus on world PVP.

8. Create a player agreement to stop nerfing classes every 2 months because dev so and so nerfs the class that kills him the most.

9. Remove flying from zones that have a major city hub, minus northrend and outland.

10. Roll back to the pre-cata talent trees.

11. Revamp all player models to have more detail hi-res. fix male draenei legs.

12. redo character creation to include a ton of different way to make your toon look different.

13. Add the zone or worlds K'aresh and Xoroth. make each world the size of outland and the entire map of azeroth combined.

14. Add 2 new classes

15. Add 2 new races.

16. I would like to see the ability two pick a secondary class so you could mix the two for example.. mage/warrior - hunter/shaman.

• twodayslatetwodayslate Member Posts: 724

That is kind of a paradoxical question.  If a development team of any consequence ran that game, and they were remotely capable of being aware of just how much harm they were doing the industry as a whole (let alone their game), they would have long since corrected all the serious flaws that so many other developers have been mimicking to try to reproduce that success.

The fact that the game persists in its current state is simply a sign that the people who are running it are completely oblivious to the idea of quality, and could never 'go back' to any previous state, ever.  The same would hold true if anyone here were running it: any real gamer with a functioning sense of ethics would have committed ritual suicide by now, or at the least just walked away to another studio (as the original team did).  There is no fixing it at this point.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I"d leave WoW pretty much the way it is, and concentrate on a new MMO with an updated engine that allows for a sandbox approach.

It's aging, and while it's still profitable, use the profit to build that new MMO.

Which is what Blizz is doing.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• MogcatMogcat Member UncommonPosts: 193

Originally posted by SioBabble

I"d leave WoW pretty much the way it is, and concentrate on a new MMO with an updated engine that allows for a sandbox approach.

It's aging, and while it's still profitable, use the profit to build that new MMO.

Which is what Blizz is doing.

I like this idea!

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Path of Titans,way more talents for viable hybrid combo speccs,heroic classes,bring unpredictable element in combat back from vanilla,rated bg's ability to join alone (wuthout premade)

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

WoW is pretty good the way it is, but first and foremost I would remove valor and justice point caps as well as weekly raid lockout timers.  Players should be able to progress at their own speed, and the lockout timers and caps only serve to artificially impede progression.  It sounds like a good idea as it prevents players from burning through content too fast, but in the end, I think it just adds to the whole treadmill design philosophy and more often than not, leads to players logging in locked out of everything with nothing to do but run around their faction capital and queue for BGs.

Secondly, I would remove kiting as a boss fight mechanic.  I don't have any problem with kiting, and I think that players should certainly be able to do it but only as a soloing technique and not something that players should be "required" to learn how to do in order to be effective in a raid or dungeon unless, of course, Blizzard totally removes the ability to click skills from the hotbar and forces players to use hotkeys.  As it stands now, I really don't see how clickers can kite effectively not to mention the fact that "kiting" is a duty most DPS dont' exactly relish to perform.

Thirdly, I would find someway to make raiding more dependant on having learned how to play one's class rather than memorizing some pre-determined fight strategy that makes raiding without having watched videos beforehand an exercise in futility.  I hate the whole "must know fights/link achievement" mentality in WoW, but honestly, I don't blame the players.  When you get into a raid that took you 45 minutes last week in a group that knew the fights versus a raid the next week that took three hours because a couple DPS couldn't wrap their mind around some of the stupid fight mechanics of a lot of the WoW bosses, you really don't have much patience for those who are new to the raid.

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

1. I would balance classes. WoW devs that balances classes sucks so much its embarrassing. Instead of balancing PvE and PvP, which they do, i would make spells have separate effects against monsters and players. Im an amateur and i know how to make it more balanced, its embarrassing.

Seriously, i have lost my faith on them when they have given up balancing 1v1 and 2v2 without even trying.

And before you start defending Blizzard, take a look at the shaman subforum. Remember back in BC when enh shamans was totally useless? Did you remember when BLIZZARD actually promised them live to fix enh shamans next patch?

WHAT did they get then? A NEW STORMSTRIKE ICON! If we werent addicted Blizzard would lose millions subt instantly.

And before you start to argue: Remember back in WOTLK? Blizzard promised they would make it more balanced? How long were the 2 shot SV hunters overpowered? For months. They just said "theyre OK" like always.

2. I would make World of Warcraft a WORLD OF WARcraft. I would make PvP servers totally about PvPing in the world as in pre TBC patch. The world is dead now, but Blizzard dont mind it anyway.

They have totally failed understanding what a PvP server should be. Its not a "uh you can freely kill anyone but we have putten guards everywhere so its no problems!"

Its a world where the world PvP mathers, not the instanced areas.

3. I would make the talents big once again. Now its designed for kids.

4. I would actually add a hybrid tank/healer class and force the devs to try it out in BETA and if they failed gaining the correct information which any kids can do, i would fire them.

5. I would actually keep my promises. "New dances" where?

"New and cool moonkin forms" Recoloured night elf/tauren moonkins? I mean come on!

Sorry that i bashed Blizzard but i, as a former TBC enh shaman player, speaks the truth.

Yawn

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114
  • carryoncarryon Member Posts: 12

Do I think WoW has peaked? Yeah, definately. Decline? Yes, but I think that is a given. 

Every pc and console game I've ever played that was so well done it sucked me in for months on end eventually lost some of its lustre and I moved on to something else. I always go back but for shorter and shorter periods. For example every once and awhile I will play through HalfLife2. I love the game and everytime I go back and play it I get that thrill that I had the first time, just not with that same intensity.

I think WoW is a game that will keep going strong for years to come but more and more players (liike myself) will start to come-and-go as new products catch their eye and hint the promise of the all-consuming gamer thrill. The Elder Scrolls games come to mind. I love TES games for similiar reasons but each has its unique aspects enough to make something old feel new. Blizzard has done (arguably) great creating that feeling with each expansion but I don't know that that will continue what with their resources being allocated to other projects.

I hope that Blizzard doesn't use WoW as a testing ground for this Titan project. I think WoW is one of those gaming milestones that shocked everyone and I pray that they can do it a second time. On a side note I hope that this new Star Wars mmo pans out. I don't know about anyone else but I'm about ready for a new drug.

Although a hard-mode server where you had to have a group of at least 2 players to survive the starting area... Hell I'd pay for that.

• BogeBoge Member Posts: 182

I think there have been some great discussions and suggestions in here, and not game breaking either.  Many of them could be done without changing the game THAT much.

I think Blizzard has gotten very conceded these days and doesn't take suggestions though.  If they didn't think it up, they don't put it in their game.

I used to think Blizzard was the best game developer.  They hadn't made a game that wasn't awesome.  They still haven't, but the way they've been treating World of Warcraft the past 2-3 years has really made me lose respect in them.  They need to do some big changes in the game to win me back, probably to win a lot of people back.

• EyrothathEyrothath Member UncommonPosts: 200

I agree with what Jeremyjodes said.. I would do that and this is probably what I would do..

1.Revamp the combat system and swap it with an action combat system to make the combat more immersive, less stale and better for tactical and strategic advantages in PVP (Global Agenda, DCUO, AoC, etc..)

2. I would remove the nametags of enemy players. With a focus on PVP, it is lame that someone can see you from behind a tree, because your BIG RED NAME is popping up over your head, it is unrealistic.

3. Re-vamp professions so that they become skills similar to ones combat skills so that it is a system based off skill points and then put in a SKILL CAP.

4. Add in player ships along with naval combat if the servers can handle it. (I would make player ships craftable where they pack and unpack like a mount and where it could be sunk as well in combat.)

5. Allow players to multi-class with their characters. (I would probably get rid of classes entirely and re-vamp abilities in the game into skills) Ones skills would be governed by their stats, their stats would go up like their skills do.

6. With a new skill system in place, I would then be able to just get rid of leveling entirely, what armor one wears would depend on the skills they use and what their stats are. (A much more balanced game)

7. Come the elimination of leveling and a skill based system, we could re-vamp ALL THREE LANDS, seeing as how leveling is gone. I would make mobs entirely dynamic. The game world would be re-vamped to be as open as possible. Player housing I would add in, players would be able to customize their house anyway they wanted to, use it for storage, etc.. Buy furniture for it..

8. Yeah.. Mounted combat ftw, might as well make mounts useless at this point, we've come so far already.. Dynamic mobs? Yeah..  Mounts could be dynamic also, instead of the hunter classes(since we no longer have a class system) we would have a taming skill(again, there would be a skill cap) Player could go out and tame mounts, which would now be found out in the lands somewhere, they would no long pack or unpack and would follow one around, you could use them for combat now, train them, feed them, etc..

Then let players kill your mounted while you're riding it, or jump the character while they are riding it and let the players take each others mounts.. (Ships as well)

Oh, screw it, I might as well go and play Ultima Online.. :D

I am 100% serious about the first two changes I mentioned, however..

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

(1) Cut the cross server dungeons

(2) charge $3 extra per month for RP servers and use tha cash to hire GMs for events and community support.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Eyrothath

I agree with what Jeremyjodes said.. I would do that and this is probably what I would do..

1.Revamp the combat system and swap it with an action combat system to make the combat more immersive, less stale and better for tactical and strategic advantages in PVP (Global Agenda, DCUO, AoC, etc..)

2. I would remove the nametags of enemy players. With a focus on PVP, it is lame that someone can see you from behind a tree, because your BIG RED NAME is popping up over your head, it is unrealistic.

3. Re-vamp professions so that they become skills similar to ones combat skills so that it is a system based off skill points and then put in a SKILL CAP.

4. Add in player ships along with naval combat if the servers can handle it. (I would make player ships craftable where they pack and unpack like a mount and where it could be sunk as well in combat.)

5. Allow players to multi-class with their characters. (I would probably get rid of classes entirely and re-vamp abilities in the game into skills) Ones skills would be governed by their stats, their stats would go up like their skills do.

6. With a new skill system in place, I would then be able to just get rid of leveling entirely, what armor one wears would depend on the skills they use and what their stats are. (A much more balanced game)

7. Come the elimination of leveling and a skill based system, we could re-vamp ALL THREE LANDS, seeing as how leveling is gone. I would make mobs entirely dynamic. The game world would be re-vamped to be as open as possible. Player housing I would add in, players would be able to customize their house anyway they wanted to, use it for storage, etc.. Buy furniture for it..

8. Yeah.. Mounted combat ftw, might as well make mounts useless at this point, we've come so far already.. Dynamic mobs? Yeah..  Mounts could be dynamic also, instead of the hunter classes(since we no longer have a class system) we would have a taming skill(again, there would be a skill cap) Player could go out and tame mounts, which would now be found out in the lands somewhere, they would no long pack or unpack and would follow one around, you could use them for combat now, train them, feed them, etc..

Then let players kill your mounted while you're riding it, or jump the character while they are riding it and let the players take each others mounts.. (Ships as well)

Oh, screw it, I might as well go and play Ultima Online.. :D

I am 100% serious about the first two changes I mentioned, however..

serious about the first 2 changes? its a rare MMO company that would 'upgrade' their systems to ones that have failed other games... certainly not one that plans to stay in business for very long.. but.. adding all those features would undoubtedly kill wow.... so im sure that would be popular with quite a few just on that basis alone.. image

im guessing the list was actually a joke as theres no way that would work really.. image

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Business model: I would make it sub based and f2p, gamecards would increment levels of 20 and unlock chat channels, auction houses, guild access, faction changes etc once the first card code has been entered and is free from then. Of course, if players want to level in higher level zones they will have to unlock the next increments of levels. Skill caps would also level in increments, maximum possibly reflecting the max character level at the time, i.e 60 levels potential would have a max skill cap of 300.

Graphics: vanilla models total revamp more to Thrall / Garrosh / Goblin level of detail in Cata. Body type of thin fat and musclular to aid RP / class realism, i.e no more He-man mages. Extra body option for undead Forsaken, i.e Dark Ranger BElf . Perfectly achievable in object oriented programming.

Guild housing, Yeah no real benefits but catch up with the times Blizz. Excuses are excuses and make you look lazy now you have all the cash. Just put 'em in to stop the whining, it is out there and has been since well, since I first played Wow.

It hasn't been the same since Wrath of the Lich King. Fighting undead was tons more fun than putting out a few flames in Cata. Bring back Arthas, or just let the Legion take over the Undead scourge, leaving the new Lich King frozen for all time on his throne. Then -bham- new undead invasion, let's go ghouls, an expansion or two sorted.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Z3R01

I would leave it as is and just milk the remaining playerbase for all they are willing to give.

Maybe toss in some special cash shop pets and mounts to milk the addicts further that are into WoW like its a religion or some cyber doll version of facebook.

I second this. Why fix the game when it's still generating a ridiculous amount of revenue. I would leave it as it is and milk this cash cow for all it's worth. I'll just leave the revamping and innovating for the future MMOs to come. Some will fail, some will succeed, but it won't change the fact that WoW will continue to make as ton of money, for many years to come.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by Z3R01

I second this. Why fix the game when it's still generating a ridiculous amount of revenue. I would leave it as it is and milk this cash cow for all it's worth. I'll just leave the revamping and innovating for the future MMOs to come. Some will fail, some will succeed, but it won't change the fact that WoW will continue to make as ton of money, for many years to come.

Milk the remaining Playerbase for all they are willing to give? Seriously?

I am glad to meet you too. Opinions like yours only reinforce my misanthropic tendancies.

I wouldn't "re-vamp" Warcraft, but I would have the Dev Team go back through every email, telephone call, and forum post by Players for clues as to what needs fixing and then fix it..... just like Players have been asking for. Fixing what is already released would be top priority, then think about new content.

I have said it before and I will say it again: Running a MMO should be about quality and Player satisfaction first, then profit second. I still believe that THAT is why Warcraft grew so huge in the first place.... and why all other MMOs trying to catch it... didn't. Somewhere along the way Blizzard forgot this too, but by then they had built up momentum to maintain market leadership.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

-unnerdize it (see my other post in other sec)
    -have some different interesting server sets.