Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVERQUEST short and sweet

DizzlerDizzler Member Posts: 231

Besides Vanguard, Everquest is still the best MMO ever made... Everquest actually created memories.

now i cant speak for others but as time went on i wanted bigger and better as in graphics.

if they just updated to a newer graphics system i for one would come back. and i think alot of others would as well.

why do they let such a great game die with time?... 100 expansions later how about updated graphics i dont know how programming works but that would be awesome

Comments

• ReaktorblueReaktorblue Member UncommonPosts: 21

I missed this round of progression servers. Then on top of that, since I played EQ on release and quad boxed at one point in time, some of my accounts were receiving emails that someone was doing stuff on my accounts. I had to get in touch with SoE CS and they confirmed that my accounts were compromised. This was after years of not even playing, and I use unique information for every game I play.

I'd actually love to come back and play though if there was another progression start however, I doubt that will happen any time soon if at all.

Lastly, one thing that does bother me though is, why is EQ2 F2P and EQ isnt. Or, is it? I've searched high and low and have come to the conclusion it's not F2P. Either way, this game was the pioneer of quality MMO gaming. I've had nothing but excellent memories with EQ!

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

eq1 is still popular,it cost so little for soe to keep online it is laughable.if it wasnt for eq1 i bet we wouldnt see the other game after.

there is eq2 but the truth is it cost huge compared to eq1 and is barelly able to keep up with eq1 population wise.i heard they released server locked progression not long ago .you progress when player vote for a unlock if it is a certain percentage it is unlocked if not  then they wait till progression was achieved.i hear player love this because they dont hav e to rush to end game and can actually enjoy the full content!wow will prob release something similar soon given how big their game has become.it isnt more server they just closed dead server and made new one with this in mind!

I may have to check it out again sooner than I think. My biggest concern with going back to EQ was I loved the raiding. In it's time, I was part of a guild that was a top 5 across all servers. I quit, came back and on a new server, was again in a top raiding guild.

Fast forward to the past 3 years, I went back for a short while and although I did have fun, most of the time was spent with me and my wife, and the two frog hirelings. There was hardly anyone in sight on the server that I was playing on and even though I had a blast, playing with other fans of EQ in a raiding scenario is where I found most of my fun and I was not able to attain this the 3rd time around.

I think playing via progression would really rekindle that lost flame I once had.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by justtires

Besides Vanguard, Everquest is still the best MMO ever made... Everquest actually created memories.

now i cant speak for others but as time went on i wanted bigger and better as in graphics.

if they just updated to a newer graphics system i for one would come back. and i think alot of others would as well.

why do they let such a great game die with time?... 100 expansions later how about updated graphics i dont know how programming works but that would be awesome

They upgraded the character models and textures a few expansions ago. The problem is that its an ancient engine, so theres not much they can do without remaking the entire game, which they will hopefully do with Everquest Next.

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

I agree with the OP.  Iloved eq2 so much that i tried to go into EQ1 to see how it all started but i just couldnt get past the aged graphics, shallow beast that i am. Updated graphics would be all i need to give the game a proper go and im sure im not the only one. Abit of time and money spent making this improvement might open the game to a whole host of new players aswell as encouraging some old players to return.

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Its like "The Realm" etc.  They likely have a large group of users that can play the game on their outdated systems.  If they updated the graphics they would have to gamble that they would get more new players than they would lose. . and we all know that the new players would not play for more than a month or two :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by drbaltazar

eq1 is still popular,it cost so little for soe to keep online it is laughable.if it wasnt for eq1 i bet we wouldnt see the other game after.

there is eq2 but the truth is it cost huge compared to eq1 and is barelly able to keep up with eq1 population wise.i heard they released server locked progression not long ago .you progress when player vote for a unlock if it is a certain percentage it is unlocked if not  then they wait till progression was achieved.i hear player love this because they dont hav e to rush to end game and can actually enjoy the full content!wow will prob release something similar soon given how big their game has become.it isnt more server they just closed dead server and made new one with this in mind!

SOE still does a lot of development for Everquest, they're even coming out with a new expansion later this year.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

a lot of player have old computer or basic (any netbook user here)so eq1 is very interesting for those.it an insanely big market unsurprisingly.not many can afford an alienware bad ass!

Improved graphics would be nice but definitely did not make or break this game. I for one was a huge fan of the risk vs reward that this game offered. I remember on release the crazy rush I would get as a level 1 newbie running from qeynos to freeport. You were actually on the edge of your seat with alertness trying to make sure you stayed alive long enough to make it.

What a good time I had in that game. The frustrations were there but in the end, they were the best labor pains I've ever had in an mmorpg. Dying was a huge set back so every bonus or positive experience was worth its weight in gold. Games these days lack that finesse that EQ brought to the table so many years ago.

The quests were not all that great then, I don't know how they are now but being as I was a grind horse, I loved it. When you saw someone with a spectacular item, you knew without a doubt that they were performing at the top tier, unlike games today where everyone is a winner. The top tier gets solid gold trophies and the losing bottom tier players get gold plated cardboard trophies that look like the real thing. Oh how I miss EQ, its like a reunion with a HS sweetheart!

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what Everquest Next was supposed to be? My understanding was that it was going to be a reimagining of Everquest with next gen graphics.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

For those that haven't started on the new progression servers there is still time to do so. There are alot of groups still low lvl. I think around Luclin or end of velious release you might see a drop in low lvl toons but its still strong at the moment. I'd suggest two boxing using the recruit a friend program. That way u can get 100%xp bonus while grouped with ur boxed toon. which will help you catch up to the higher lvl guys if that is what u desire or just accept the strict xp penalties that are in place right now. There is no Hot Zones on the progression server if ur wondering. Also i speak for the Fippy server not the vulak one.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Originally posted by Zeno89

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what Everquest Next was supposed to be? My understanding was that it was going to be a reimagining of Everquest with next gen graphics.

If you look at SOE and the progression of updates and games they have made. The curve is always going to EZ mode. From hirelings in EQ to the NGE in SWG to the complete Wowization of EQ2. Does anyone here honestly think SOE has the balls to release a hard core sandbox game like the original EQ now days?

No freakin' way. At this point they will probably reward you for dieing. A complimentry +1 dagger and 5GP because the game must've been too hard.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by ghettobooste

If you look at SOE and the progression of updates and games they have made. The curve is always going to EZ mode. From hirelings in EQ to the NGE in SWG to the complete Wowization of EQ2. Does anyone here honestly think SOE has the balls to release a hard core sandbox game like the original EQ now days?

No freakin' way. At this point they will probably reward you for dieing. A complimentry +1 dagger and 5GP because the game must've been too hard.

EQ was definitely more hardcore in it's early days, but it was never, ever a sandbox game.  A more free style theme park than some, it's still very much a theme park game.  Especially it's hamster wheel raiding end game which even existed in the earlier days in the form of Fear and Vox.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

Yeah as much as I hope EQ<>Next will be just like the Original EQ aka prior to the dumb PoP expansion and the one that done ALL mmo's in Lost Dungeons of Norath with the instance, I really don't see SOE saying "Hey, we gonna make EQ but with better graphics. Graphics don't make a game.

SOE home of the  " If a 2 year old can't ding...we'll dumb it down so he can..."

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

EQ was definitely more hardcore in it's early days, but it was never, ever a sandbox game.

I definitely agree, EQ was fairly challenging in it's early days. I believe that this added to the allure of the game. Even people who would complain at the challenges, that overcame the challenges, felt that they had earned something and felt accomplished. Games these days lack this component and as such, feel like everyone accomplishes everything.

I'm not so sure though that I agree with the statement that the game was in fact not sandbox. I know some people really define a sandbox game based on their own opinion and based on my opinion, I felt that EQ was a free roaming world. I pretty much could go anywhere I wanted to go and do whatever I wanted to do.

In fact, when the game first came out, there were not many restrictions. I remember taking a lvl 1 character into Fear Plane. Eventually restrictions were placed in game but as the above statements had indicated, in it's early days, it felt very open. Also, twinking was a nice aspect of the game. I enjoyed killing things on my level 50 character so that I could start a new character and not have to endure all the pains of redoing everything. Later on, restrictions were made. So in my opinion, EQ was in fact a sandbox game.

Originally posted by Reaktorblue

Originally posted by Vorthanion

EQ was definitely more hardcore in it's early days, but it was never, ever a sandbox game.

I definitely agree, EQ was fairly challenging in it's early days. I believe that this added to the allure of the game. Even people who would complain at the challenges, that overcame the challenges, felt that they had earned something and felt accomplished. Games these days lack this component and as such, feel like everyone accomplishes everything.

I'm not so sure though that I agree with the statement that the game was in fact not sandbox. I know some people really define a sandbox game based on their own opinion and based on my opinion, I felt that EQ was a free roaming world. I pretty much could go anywhere I wanted to go and do whatever I wanted to do.

In fact, when the game first came out, there were not many restrictions. I remember taking a lvl 1 character into Fear Plane. Eventually restrictions were placed in game but as the above statements had indicated, in it's early days, it felt very open. Also, twinking was a nice aspect of the game. I enjoyed killing things on my level 50 character so that I could start a new character and not have to endure all the pains of redoing everything. Later on, restrictions were made. So in my opinion, EQ was in fact a sandbox game.

WoW is free roaming as well, yet it's labeled as the penultimate theme park game.

Originally posted by TopperH444

SOE home of the  " If a 2 year old can't ding...we'll dumb it down so he can..."

It's sad in a way. Over the course of two decades I have been an avid gamer of many consoles and pc games. One of the things that keeps me playing even the older games is returning to the games that I was unable to beat at a particular time to play again. As my skill increases so do the games become easier.

I think this is what kept people playing EQ in the day. If you were simply silly enough to go all "Leeroy Jenkins" on something you obviously were no match for, you'd learn not to repeat this mistake with the fear of losing experience, sometimes enough to lose your level, losing items & equipment, and losing all that time spent recovering your body.

In fact, as a monk, I had made a living and had a ton of fun performing corpse retrievals for these types of individuals.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98

So...in line 2 you say it was'nt a sandbox game and then to end you say it was a sandbox game. Just caused me to chuckle LoL.

I think sandbox games are games you can alter the enviroment. Say create a house or set structures and destroy buildings and such. That's always been my definition os sandbox. I may be wrong but EQ was never a sandbox game. UO was a sandbox cause you could build homes and so was SWG.

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• Joshua69Joshua69 Member UncommonPosts: 953

I played for a bit when EQ was F2P for a week or whatever, even made a char on the new progession server. Huge EQ fan here, will always be my "home". But I just couldn't play for more than 15min. Just so terrible, I tried to play, I just couldn't do it...Miss you EQ, I am hoping they just do EQ3 and some point. However, SOE being SOE, I wouldn't trust it to be uphold the awesomness of EQ 1 and 2.

Vanguard:  Saga of Heroes really is the true successor of EQ, not only in mechanics and game play, but in spirit.  Yet despite the fact that they have fixed all of it's technical problems long ago, it's still no more popular at it's peak than it's successor was, around 450,000 subs.  Now it's barely struggling sub-100K from what I understand.  Same with EQ, it hovers around that number as well.  I have fond memories of the low end game of EQ, but I really can't see hardcore games ever being all that successful ever again, there are just too many choices and people will typically go with the ones that are not only easier to play, but more fun as well.

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

I always thought of the old EQ as a sandbox. There was a lot of community stuff happening, most of the events were player made. It was what made the game so much fun from the Cave in EC to RPing out at the druid stones in North Karana. You had to interact with others to do anything in that game. Ironically there were hardly any quests in Everquest, it was all about setting up a camp somewhere with a balanced group and grinding mobs. It was not a theme park game at all.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I missed this round of progression servers. <>

I'd actually love to come back and play though if there was another progression start however, I doubt that will happen any time soon if at all. <>

What do you mean you missed it? There are still a ton of low level people playing. You can group starting at lvl 1 and never stop. You didn't miss anything. Now is the time. There won't be another progression server for a long time, and it is pointless to wait if your only reason for waiting is some kind of false sense of missed opportunity. 

Originally posted by Jimmac

I missed this round of progression servers. <>

I'd actually love to come back and play though if there was another progression start however, I doubt that will happen any time soon if at all. <>

What do you mean you missed it? There are still a ton of low level people playing. You can group starting at lvl 1 and never stop. You didn't miss anything. Now is the time. There won't be another progression server for a long time, and it is pointless to wait if your only reason for waiting is some kind of false sense of missed opportunity. 

I guess what you're saying makes sense. Currently, what expansion are they up to? What is the max level currently?

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I quit a couple months ago. When I quit, the 1st xpac had just been released, meaning the lvl cap went from 50 to 60. 

I would bet that they are still only on the 1st xpac (meaning the original EQ plus 1 expansion has been released, and nothing else). The population was going strong, almost too strong. I am certain that there are still plenty of low lvl'ing groups to be had. 

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Yeah velious should be voted on next week or sometime this week.