Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player ganked for $60,000 in pvp

Comments

• narfinarfi Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by erictlewis

OK so I am reading the thread.  I know nothing of entropia, so I went and looked it up. It sounds like it is heavy RMT. So in other words the guy with the most cash wins?

So do folks really spend 69K on a game?

Just wondering, since I know nothing of the game.   Exactly how would the game compare to swg or to eve.

Not trying to be a troll, just trying to figure  out if folks spend 69k. 

To answer your question and the speculative answers already in response to it,

Yes Entropia Universe has some heavy spenders in it, but those are not the normal players.

It is possible to approach the game with a buisness model in mind and invest money to profit with.

Examples of some of those big name players are NEVERDIE, Deathifier, Buzz Lightyear, etc...

The normal player can play and enjoy the game at whatever rate they want though.

You can approach it as a free to play game that is extreamly chalanging. (thats what I did my first 6 months)

If you are playing for free, there are ways to progress but the competition is fierce because it is all for real money. It is definatly not for the stupid or weak of heart. (there is atleast one well known UBER, one of the top skilled players in the game who only deposited when he first started and now withdraws monthly, check out his live streams at http://www.justin.tv/stargazing )

You can approach it like you would a subscription game (but with the advantage of no monthly commitments if you want to take a break)

You can progress on into the mid level ranks with 15-50 dollars a month without really using too much intelegence.

You can progress to the top with 15-50 dollars a month IF you are willing to work and study and are up to the competition.

You can approach the game like a gambler and deposit more than is healthy without studying anything and randomly spend it in hopes of getting some good loots. It works for some doing this for a time, but in the end stupidity always end up pissed off.

The reality is that you are in competition against every other player in the game. Even when you are playing purely PvE the Real Money aspect requires that you moniter your costs vs rewards not just against yourself, but against all others doing that activity. Because it is a 'free to play' game, the developers WILL get their cut, you just need to be smart enough to ensure that that cut doesnt come from your own pocket and that it is the next guy paying for it.

I love the chalange and have chosen to put in 50 dollars a month. I dont need to deposit to play at a relaxed skilling pace anymore, but I enjoy some of the riskier activities that I know arent economicly wise and that monthly depo lets me do whatever I want with the knowledge that I am not risking my characters wealth in the process.

Feel free to ask me anything you want about the game, but maybe its a bit off topic for this thread... start a new one and direct me there and ill help with anything you need.

gl and have fun,

narfi

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by Serignuad

Wow.. and the exchange.. Entropia being licensed as a bank.. is instantaneous between in-game currency and real-life?

So I can tell Entropia I want to exchange X amount of um "credits" for real-life currency?

Unfortunately, in every game I play (Eve being the most appropiate I think), I don't do that well making money. I'd make a terrible gold-farmer, but that said.. its certainly interesting enough that it makes me want to try it out.

What about actual "gold" farmers and bots.. I'd imagine they'd be like a plague of locusts on a game like this?

And if people are spending 15,000 on in-game items, sounds like Entropia found itself an interesting highend, niche-market.

So if that's real money, when you make a profit, how do you handle taxes?  In the USA, you have to declare all profits on taxes.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by Ceridith

Originally posted by Luv_bug

Originally posted by EverSkelly

Sounds so fake. 60.000$, really..?

Oh ya, there are $100,000+ armors in Entropia Universe according to my friend that plays it. Also remember they sold the guys stuff in MINUTES. Tells you how many people are willing to buy.

I think for some of us that don't play, we want to know where the "60,000" and "100,000" numbers are coming from.

Is this real-life currency or in-game (I can't imagine any set of in-game items being valued at 60,000, let alone 100k)?

What determines the value?

No its real money. Entropia is actually a licensed bank too. My understanding is the company sells the uber items, and value is determined by the "bad arseness" of the wep, armor or ship and the number of the item in the game. For example the guy was carrying a $15,000 pistol which is super strong and of which there are only 10 total in the game.

Am I the only person who finds it absolutely insane that people are willingly playing this game and sinking hundreds if not thousands of dollars into virtual items in it?

The point I just can't process in my head is that the company who is apparently a 'registered bank' and has full control over the currency exchange, is also selling virtual items worth thousands of dollars that they can create by replicating a few bits of data.

It goes against all sense and logic from an economic standpoint.

Why? How much does it cost Microsoft to produce another copy of Windows? Virtually nothing but people find value in it and pay money for it. This is  the same case for these in game items, except they have the right to resell it and many people do and actually make money on the game. Intangable products certainly have value if people are willing to pay for it.

If people find enough value to pay for something, it makes economic sense to them, which is all that matters to the seller.

Any economy requires a belief that it is stable. The US dollar does not have assets backing it, but we use it as a medium of exchange because we think we can. If I bought a virtual item for $60,000 believing I could sell it and get real money back (perhaps even more) in the future, then it makes sense for me to buy it economically.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

So if that's real money, when you make a profit, how do you handle taxes?  In the USA, you have to declare all profits on taxes.

Most definitely unless you hid it. That brings up another interesting question though - if you declared, say $15 profits from both Entropia and Second Life could you then file all your other MMO spending as research and loss? 

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by waynejr2

Wow.. and the exchange.. Entropia being licensed as a bank.. is instantaneous between in-game currency and real-life?

So I can tell Entropia I want to exchange X amount of um "credits" for real-life currency?

Unfortunately, in every game I play (Eve being the most appropiate I think), I don't do that well making money. I'd make a terrible gold-farmer, but that said.. its certainly interesting enough that it makes me want to try it out.

What about actual "gold" farmers and bots.. I'd imagine they'd be like a plague of locusts on a game like this?

And if people are spending 15,000 on in-game items, sounds like Entropia found itself an interesting highend, niche-market.

Unless you make enough to hire the best loop hole finders, and happen to own the politicians (look at the biggest banks, GE, and other such). As with most such complex systems there are exceptions.  EU is pretty much the same way. It rewards those who are *smart* and ruthless enough to game the system. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Thanks for the offer Narfi. I spoke to my friend who said there is some sort of intermediate point between space and entering a planets atmosphere that is pvp, and thats where they got him. I hope I have that right, he explained quite a bit about the game's history and so forth like how Neverdie became big by mortgaging his house, and eventually how Mindark got him a planet, something alse about how his girlfriend(island Girl) he met online died and now she's a teleporter avatar (or something), why land ownership is no guarantee of success and how people he knows make good money in the game but the tedium is extreme. After 2 years of playing on and off, he says EU's ok, but not near what people think its gonna be when they sign up. He mentioned his brother said he found an article on the incident  which took place somewhere around the 13th,  he also says he's seen a bunch of new players in the last 2 days so apparently its out there. I've asked him to give me the following:

1) The mark's name and society

2) The link to the article his brother found (I looked and didn't find it, so asked him to ask)

3) If the bandits have an official society, its name

He says most players aren't aware,but the high end people are. He also says the guy's society is out for blood from these guys and that they won't be able to conduct business in game anymore if the society can help it. Word is the mark has also gone to Mindark looking for redress. My friend also stated he believes it was an inside job, though he has no proof, but in his opinion space is too big for these guys to just stumble upon the guy just as he's moving a big payload like that. I mentioned the destroyed pistol issue, he said it didn't happen, I might have misunderstood him(???), we were kinda raucous and laughing at the time.

So just waiting now...

Any new info on this?

I am still curious :)

narfi

• Luv_bugLuv_bug Member Posts: 120

My friend's real busy, said he didn't even have time this week to get on. Hopefully he has everything by the end of this or next weekend.

• TreephrogTreephrog Member Posts: 17

My friend's real busy, said he didn't even have time this week to get on. Hopefully he has everything by the end of this or next weekend.

Yeah, I'll bet he is... busy trying to figure out how to make this story the tiniest bit believable to those of us who actually know the mechanics of the game. I'll start from the beginning where you said...

"Word is 6 lower level guys ambushed a super uber player in space forcing him to head for a planet, destroyed his ship, and when he emerged from the wreckage they merced him using vehicle guns, he got 5 of them using his pistol but the last one did him in, any more info on the heist anyone?".

Where to start, since I already see gaping holes in the story. Well, ok, so some pirates attacked a ship forcing it to a planet.. (which you did emphasize it happened on planet in another post, but then tried to spin it as happening in some mythical point between space and planet that doesn't exist, as when you appoach planet in a ship you then get sent directly to the designated landing zone which is NOT pvp enabled). If someone makes it to the planet after being attacked, they then get to laugh at the attackers. End of story.

You then get questioned by people in disbelief that people put that much money in game and respond with...

"Oh ya, there are $100,000+ armors in Entropia Universe according to my friend that plays it."

Which is incorrect in that while there are items and armor that approach or exceed that amount of PED, that is not dollars. It is also off the topic of the looting, since items such as that *cannot* be pvp looted. As was indicated in other posts, the only things that are lootable are stackables such as ammo, ores, enmats and other crafting materials like skins, oils and robot parts.

Not totally sure why I'm even replying to someone that is so ill informed as to say this...

"Entropia is actually a licensed bank too."

Since it is blatantly untrue as they never got the banking licence. I guess I just feel the need to emphasize how incorrect the posts are lest someone actually believe any of it.

Then we get to this jewel...

"Apparently  there is a game mechanic in which you can only access your resources through any "bank" but only on the planet on which they are stored. To do business on other planets you must transfer your stuff, hence the bountiful harvest. Would also explain why he might have been easier to focus fire on if he was encumbered as you say IF the materials from his ship automatically transfer to his avatar upon destruction. The source is my friend who is a friend of the bandits and has played EU on and off for a while. He said they're laying low on an asteroid and generally laughing their butts off. Apparently they also destroyed the guy's uber pistol too.Which would explain the last guys ability to survive long enough to take him out with his vehicles weapons. The guy was apparently carrying a $9,000 sniper rifle as well, which wouldn't have been an effective weapon 1v1 against a vehicle if it adhers to classic sniper rifle mechanics."

You access your resources through your storage terminal. It is true that you can only access them on the planet you are on, but they are located all over the planet. If he had that much stuff and was encumbered, it still doesn't make any difference since he would not have been in a lootable pvp area when the ship came down. The funniest part was where they destroyed his pistol, which is 100% impossible (and which you took back after being told that.. rather backpedaling after being caught out).

I'm not really sure what your agenda is with this story, though I'm sure there is one. I can say though, that you're about as informed about the game as anyone that is capable of googling for press releases.. which is to say, not very much.

I'm not saying there hasn't been some instance of someone getting blown up in space and looted for a large amount. That is possible. I'm just saying that the story you have told is NOT possible, and is an imaginative fabrication. The reason for such a fabrication is.. puzzling.

I do also wonder about the existance of your "friend", though if I had a friend who lied to me like that I'd have to consider that I might need to be a bit pickier about whom I choose as a friend in the future.

Originally posted by Treephrog

Yeah, I'll bet he is... busy trying to figure out how to make this story the tiniest bit believable to those of us who actually know the mechanics of the game. I'll start from the beginning where you said...

"Word is 6 lower level guys ambushed a super uber player in space forcing him to head for a planet, destroyed his ship, and when he emerged from the wreckage they merced him using vehicle guns, he got 5 of them using his pistol but the last one did him in, any more info on the heist anyone?".

Before I respond further I thought, over the course of the topic, I made it clear I don't play the game and came to see what the community knew about the heist. So the idea that me asking if anybody heard about this is akin to something nefarious, is I guess a function of your interpretation  of why I asked. I guess?

Where to start, since I already see gaping holes in the story. Well, ok, so some pirates attacked a ship forcing it to a planet.. (which you did emphasize it happened on planet in another post, but then tried to spin it as happening in some mythical point between space and planet that doesn't exist, as when you appoach planet in a ship you then get sent directly to the designated landing zone which is NOT pvp enabled). If someone makes it to the planet after being attacked, they then get to laugh at the attackers. End of story.

You then get questioned by people in disbelief that people put that much money in game and respond with...

"Oh ya, there are $100,000+ armors in Entropia Universe according to my friend that plays it."

Which is incorrect in that while there are items and armor that approach or exceed that amount of PED, that is not dollars. It is also off the topic of the looting, since items such as that *cannot* be pvp looted. As was indicated in other posts, the only things that are lootable are stackables such as ammo, ores, enmats and other crafting materials like skins, oils and robot parts.

Again, I stated "according to my friend who plays". Is it really 100,000 PED(i.e.$10,000)? I dunno, Narfi could probably answer that, but he didn't seem to disagree with it when I wrote it.

Not totally sure why I'm even replying to someone that is so ill informed as to say this...

Since it is blatantly untrue as they never got the banking licence. I guess I just feel the need to emphasize how incorrect the posts are lest someone actually believe any of it.

Mmhm...obviously you didn't get the memos...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7954629.stm

http://venturebeat.com/2009/03/18/mindarks-entropia-universe-now-has-a-legally-sanctioned-central-bank/

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/03/18/2563295-online-game-gets-real-world-banking-license

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/03/23/entropia-universe-to-have-real-world-bank-with-virtual-world-pre/

...I'm starting to feel that "why am I replying to someone so uniformed" thing you were prattling on about earlier tho...btw "EU also recently sold five commercial banking licenses for $320,000 each." http://www.loginnews.org/2011/02/making-bank-in-entropia-universe/

Let's continue...

Then we get to this jewel...

"Apparently  there is a game mechanic in which you can only access your resources through any "bank" but only on the planet on which they are stored. To do business on other planets you must transfer your stuff, hence the bountiful harvest. Would also explain why he might have been easier to focus fire on if he was encumbered as you say IF the materials from his ship automatically transfer to his avatar upon destruction. The source is my friend who is a friend of the bandits and has played EU on and off for a while. He said they're laying low on an asteroid and generally laughing their butts off. Apparently they also destroyed the guy's uber pistol too.Which would explain the last guys ability to survive long enough to take him out with his vehicles weapons. The guy was apparently carrying a $9,000 sniper rifle as well, which wouldn't have been an effective weapon 1v1 against a vehicle if it adhers to classic sniper rifle mechanics."

You access your resources through your storage terminal. It is true that you can only access them on the planet you are on, but they are located all over the planet. If he had that much stuff and was encumbered, it still doesn't make any difference since he would not have been in a lootable pvp area when the ship came down. The funniest part was where they destroyed his pistol, which is 100% impossible (and which you took back after being told that.. rather backpedaling after being caught out).

I realize this is all one post but cuz I know your'e not the swiftest Proteron in the jungle, I want to reiterate, I DON'T PLAY, and the story is being recounted from a party that wasn't there either actually (but does know the mechanics quite well). On our second call, he says he didn't say it, I thought he did, I then relayed that info here. If I had some agenda to benefit me in-game or out somehow, I would probably be more knowledgeable about the game, because why input a piece of info that wouldn't support the story's authenticity? Also, again, I was trying to fact find from the very beginning based on what I had, because to me this is video game history, hysterical video game history, but history nonetheless.

I'm not really sure what your agenda is with this story, though I'm sure there is one. I can say though, that you're about as informed about the game as anyone that is capable of googling for press releases.. which is to say, not very much.

"Though I'm sure there is one". What are you 5 years old? An agenda? In a game I don't even play? If you consider finding out if the story is true so I can then consider starting to play and hunt the byways of space in search of a score, guilty as charged!!!! As long as its legal, I'd always be lookin' to "catch a sucka slippin'" hehe...and as far as being ill-informed, YOU'RE supposedly so knowledgeable you didn't even know the game has been a registed bank for almost 2 1/2 years apparently selling in-game banks to players for $100,000+? At least I have an excuse for not knowing the game inside and out...here it comes...get the t-shirt and the matching mug...I DON'T PLAY!

I'm not saying there hasn't been some instance of someone getting blown up in space and looted for a large amount. That is possible. I'm just saying that the story you have told is NOT possible, and is an imaginative fabrication. The reason for such a fabrication is.. puzzling.

Probably puzzling because your entire premis is wrapped up in some sort of imaginery conspiracy to...actually, your premis is so ridiculous, I don't even know what you think I'd be gaining from my little so called "fabrication".

I do also wonder about the existance of your "friend", though if I had a friend who lied to me like that I'd have to consider that I might need to be a bit pickier about whom I choose as a friend in the future.

...and now doubting the very EXISTENCE  of my friend, dude you're coming off kinda pathetic now. Real talk. "If I had a friend"...I know it sounds far fetched to YOU, but many of us have real-life friends (staggering I know) with real lives and businesses that demand their real time because, y'know, mortgages and leases don't get paid in PED in the real world. These friends also sometimes don't drop everything when they do have some time, to immediately further the investigation of an in-game event, so before you impugne my friends's integrity, try and make a few off-line one's of your own. Btw, I spoke to him late last week about this and he said he hadn't even logged back on yet.  Hey, what can I say? There's a great big beautiful world out there, and I don't mean Calypso (pick your chin up off the floor Tree, it's true) so until he sends the link with the article his brother saw or logs on and links up with those guys again online, we're kinda just waiting.  My only worry is that IF the guy's society is in fact making it almost impossible to do business for them, they might just cashout and start new toons or disappear altogether, so I was kinda hoping my bud would've had some of the requested info by now. C'est la vie.

Again, I stated "according to my friend who plays". Is it really 100,000 PED(i.e.$10,000)? I dunno, Narfi could probably answer that, but he didn't seem to disagree with it when I wrote it.

Narfi also mentioned it was PED. Reading comprehension problems too? Though since your friend told you that as well (like most everything else), maybe he's not as knowledgable as you seem to think he is.

Mmhm...obviously you didn't get the memos...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7954629.stm

http://venturebeat.com/2009/03/18/mindarks-entropia-universe-now-has-a-legally-sanctioned-central-bank/

http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2009/03/18/2563295-online-game-gets-real-world-banking-license

http://massively.joystiq.com/2009/03/23/entropia-universe-to-have-real-world-bank-with-virtual-world-pre/

...I'm starting to feel that "why am I replying to someone so uniformed" thing you were prattling on about earlier tho...btw "EU also recently sold five commercial banking licenses for $320,000 each." http://www.loginnews.org/2011/02/making-bank-in-entropia-universe/

Actually it seems to be YOU who missed the memo as that fell through, the license was revoked, and the virtual banks were mostly a flop, nothing more than glorified pawn shops.. but then I guess just googling for press releases gives you a bit of a handicap over those of us actually active in the game (5 years playing) and knowledgable about the happenings therein...

http://www.entropiaforum.com/forum/ask-mindark/199724-status-future-mindbank.html

relevant quote from Kim, MA spokesperson...

"Im posting a response on behalf of CEO Jan Welter Timkrans

Yes, it is a continued priority to start up our own bank. The bank application was submitted to the Swedish financial authorities before the downturn in the world economy started. At this time we also had lined up the company for an IPO which would have provided for the financing of the bank. Because of the World recession the listing of the company was postponed and Mindark asked the financial authorities to revoke the license so that we may resubmit the application once funding has been secured. We are once again in the process of listing the company and we expect the listing to take place late 2012. When this has been done we resubmit the application to the financial authorities."

Let's continue...

Yes, by all means let us.

"Though I'm sure there is one". What are you 5 years old? An agenda? In a game I don't even play? If you consider finding out if the story is true so I can then consider starting to play and hunt the byways of space in search of a score, guilty as charged!!!! As long as its legal, I'd always be lookin' to "catch a sucka slippin'" hehe...and as far as being ill-informed, YOU'RE supposedly so knowledgeable you didn't even know the game has been a registed bank for almost 2 1/2 years apparently selling in-game banks to players for $100,000+? At least I have an excuse for not knowing the game inside and out...here it comes...get the t-shirt and the matching mug...I DON'T PLAY!

It's obvious you don't play since you know nothing of the game other than what google can tell you (note, google is not always your friend). It's a simple matter that nothing is lootable other than stackables, and nothing is lootable unless you're in lootable pvp, which is in space, or limited areas on planet nowhere near the landing zone. Thus if someone was attacked in space and made it to the planet as you seem convinced, no looting took place. Plain and simple. I've already corrected you, again, about the banking license being revoked so won't rehash that. If you want to come be a pirate, well be my guest. I'm always looking for more juicy targets ;).  I'd love to loot you over and over, all night long.

There are 100,000+ PED armors in the game, that would be 10,000USD.

They are owned by the rich or old time 'ubers' but I can buy (L) armor that works just as well or possibly even more economical today for 100usd or less.

The same is true for the expensive guns. There are 100,000ped (10,000usd) guns which the old time players or rich can use, but I am able to use 250ped (25usd) (L) guns more eco at my level than using the expensive ones.

With the skills and money I would certainly like to have that gear and it would work well for me, but I am able to play at a reasonably high level for much much cheaper by playing smart and using all (L) gear.

For the fun of it, here is a list of some of the big time egos in the game. (unofficial highest skilled list) (by comparison I am personlay <150k total skills after 3 years)

Top 100 Avatars in Entropia

narfi

Thanks again, Narf. Missed the armor thing before, so basically you can function at an elite level on the cheap? Nice. I guess that really does leave ego as the prime mover of the high end armor market then hehehe. I have to assume with the weapons the damage disparity has to be a bit more pronounced tho, since there's more on an "e-peen" dynamic to weapons as opposed to mostly cosmetic with the armors. Based on what you're saying apparently bigger damage guns require more expensive ammo in exchange for that extra damage. I'll have to check to see if they have any machine gun type weps with cheap ammo...

Also, gonna call my bud again this weekend. I will harass him (in a friendly way hehe) if necessary hehe.

Re Treephrog

So according to you they "never" had a license. Yet it was revoked. Can you "revoke" a license that was never given? Even if the in game banks were virtual pawn shops, pawn shops are a microfinancing instrument, collateralized lending at interest authorized by the government, banking activity, the only difference is they are not beholden to a central bank. The idea they didn't have the money to start a bank is quite suspect as well. You can start a bank in some countries for less than $30k(even less) and partake in the fractional reserve system, which I'm sure, unless it appears in Mindark's or Blizzard's literature, you have little to no comprehension of, but the reserve requirements are extremely low to literally create capital, and the reserve dollars would be coming from the players. Seems strange, like they just didn't want inspectors up in their beeswax all the time, which is understandable, but hey, whatever.

I'm also glad after reiterating time and again "I don't play" it is finally "obvious" to you. I find it interesting THAT offends you more than my insinuations you have no friends.

...and re my possible venture into the world of piracy, there's a couple rules of an effective pirate in game apparently. 1) Roll in packs and 2) Roll naked. I know the very thought has got you hot and bothered ,Tree, ("I'm always looking for more juicy targets ;).  I'd love to loot (riiight) you over and over, all night long.") but remember, like everything else in your life, they're just pixels. I've heard similar stories of naked gankers in AoC actually. Got that "lord of the flies" thing goin' there hehe.

Re Treephrog

So according to you they "never" had a license. Yet it was revoked. Can you "revoke" a license that was never given? Even if the in game banks were virtual pawn shops, pawn shops are a microfinancing instrument, collateralized lending at interest authorized by the government, banking activity, the only difference is they are not beholden to a central bank. The idea they didn't have the money to start a bank is quite suspect as well. You can start a bank in some countries for less than $30k(even less) and partake in the fractional reserve system, which I'm sure, unless it appears in Mindark's or Blizzard's literature, you have little to no comprehension of, but the reserve requirements are extremely low to literally create capital, and the reserve dollars would be coming from the players. Seems strange, like they just didn't want inspectors up in their beeswax all the time, which is understandable, but hey, whatever.

I'm also glad after reiterating time and again "I don't play" it is finally "obvious" to you. I find it interesting THAT offends you more than my insinuations you have no friends.

...and re my possible venture into the world of piracy, there's a couple rules of an effective pirate in game apparently. 1) Roll in packs and 2) Roll naked. I know the very thought has got you hot and bothered ,Tree, ("I'm always looking for more juicy targets ;).  I'd love to loot (riiight) you over and over, all night long.") but remember, like everything else in your life, they're just pixels. I've heard similar stories of naked gankers in AoC actually. Got that "lord of the flies" thing goin' there hehe.

Ok so I missed the word "usable" in my sentance, as in they never had a *usable* banking license (since they couldn't finance a bank that would use it it ends up just being some preliminary legal work on a project that didn't work out). It means the same either way, just a technicality that you attacked that comes off similar to an ad hominem attack when you don't have anything valid to say. Let me remind you that according to you.. and I quote "the game has been a registed bank for almost 2 1/2 years". I really don't think you have room to argue on a technicality like that. I know I'd be embarrassed if I said something that was that wrong. The in game banks still have nothing to do with it either way, so unsure why you keep bringing them up like they actually have anything to do with it.

The fractional reserve system is a common banking method, where only a small portion of the total deposits stays on reserve at the bank, while the rest is generally invested in things such as stocks and bonds... but I'm not here for talk about work so I'll stop there.

Again, it must be reading comprehension problems (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as otherise it would be that you are straight up trolling), but I did not say anything about you not having friends, I simply questioned the existance of this particular one since there were so many discrepancies about him. You are the one that started that so I dunno.. maybe you get that a lot for some reason? I find your insinuation that I have none.. silly at best, but realistically just basic troll 101 material. Pretty boring, and frankly kind of pathetic.

Yep, sorry to burst your bubble, I don't cyber, just loot. Married for 27 years, I get all I want from my husband. Oh yeah, and you wanna watch out for packs that just might be family, say.. husband, wife, sons, daughters, since a team like that might be all in one room without the need for voice chat, pretty deadly. Then again you would never know that would you.

In response to another of your questions, no, the uber weapons don't do significantly more damage than less expensive weapons, there are much less expensive weapons that do much more damage. They are expensive due to their rarity, and a possible tiny percentage more economy for that class of weapon (though the eco is not true for all uber expensive weapons, it's mostly rarity). A weapon that does more damage typically uses more ammo per shot, though some do more damage via decay. Melee weapons use decay for all their damage.

Thanks again, Narf. Missed the armor thing before, so basically you can function at an elite level on the cheap? Nice. I guess that really does leave ego as the prime mover of the high end armor market then hehehe. I have to assume with the weapons the damage disparity has to be a bit more pronounced tho, since there's more on an "e-peen" dynamic to weapons as opposed to mostly cosmetic with the armors. Based on what you're saying apparently bigger damage guns require more expensive ammo in exchange for that extra damage. I'll have to check to see if they have any machine gun type weps with cheap ammo...

Also, gonna call my bud again this weekend. I will harass him (in a friendly way hehe) if necessary hehe.

Skills and high end gear definatly give an avatar an economical advantage.

But (L) gear both guns and armor allow a smart player to do SOME of the things that an uber with all the top gear can.

I still dont have the HP, Evade/Dodge needed to hunt the very high end mobs economicly.

I did spend an hour killing a single dragon (Lemmy Dragon Stalker) by myself with the help of a healer once just to say I could do it. Cost me way too much to be practical but was fun to accomplish.

(I can hunt the lower maturity Lemmy Dragons solo and am currently camping them for an event)

With good (L) armor and guns though, there isn't a (non event) mob in the game that me and a few friends cant hunt as long as we are willing to work at it.

(L) gear still has skill requirements, but is really the smart choice for most people playing.

narfi

ps. a couple of pics form the dragons ive been hunting

imageimage

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Is there a way that you can actually make money from hardly anything in this game? Like say i put 20-50 dollars into this game, can I somehow come out with thousands of dollars with just putting that in? Or is this just a game you sink all kinds of money into and get nothing in return?

I wouldn't play it if I had to spend thousands and lose it all.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Is there a way I can make money playing this game with little investment or risk? Like farming shit all day, and whatever?

downloaded the game, but it seems pretty boring from the start.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by EverSkelly

Sounds so fake. 60.000$, really..?

Oh ya, there are $100,000+ armors in Entropia Universe according to my friend that plays it. Also remember they sold the guys stuff in MINUTES. Tells you how many people are willing to buy.

I think for some of us that don't play, we want to know where the "60,000" and "100,000" numbers are coming from.

Is this real-life currency or in-game (I can't imagine any set of in-game items being valued at 60,000, let alone 100k)?

What determines the value?

No its real money. Entropia is actually a licensed bank too. My understanding is the company sells the uber items, and value is determined by the "bad arseness" of the wep, armor or ship and the number of the item in the game. For example the guy was carrying a $15,000 pistol which is super strong and of which there are only 10 total in the game.

Am I the only person who finds it absolutely insane that people are willingly playing this game and sinking hundreds if not thousands of dollars into virtual items in it?

The point I just can't process in my head is that the company who is apparently a 'registered bank' and has full control over the currency exchange, is also selling virtual items worth thousands of dollars that they can create by replicating a few bits of data.

It makes sence because Entropia is a world in a sence that it has a limited set of items/resourses, with a limit, prices for said resourses goes up/down based on how many new players that put's in new resourses(dollars) in the gameworld.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

Originally posted by sungodra

Is there a way that you can actually make money from hardly anything in this game? Like say i put 20-50 dollars into this game, can I somehow come out with thousands of dollars with just putting that in? Or is this just a game you sink all kinds of money into and get nothing in return?

I wouldn't play it if I had to spend thousands and lose it all.

It's just like the "lottery" if you aim big you have greater chance of winning, In Entropia if you are very lucky you can still win with very little money spent, but it's not very likely you will..

And yes there is "small" things to farm like sweat..if that is still in game..but I wont recomend it :)

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

A lot of "economics" is emotional and not rational.

And a game like this has more to do with addiction or even gambling than it does economics anyway (in my opinion).

That some people pay to win in their virtual-life/hobby/addiction doesn't surprise me at all.

Though it does pain me to think of how much actual good 15,000 would do making my life/house a little better and not serving as a someone's virtual pistol somewhere.

Though thats a dangerous game to play to -imagining how much "better" someone elses money would have gone to help you had you just had it to spend on yourself.

Case in point: Paris Hilton spent $325,000 on a doghouse (the dog I am quite sure, would have been just as happy with a cardboard box (and a bone)).

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php/2009/08/07/paris_hilton_spent_325_000_on_a_dog_hous

Indeed.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by sungodra

Is there a way I can make money playing this game with little investment or risk? Like farming shit all day, and whatever?

The game is designed to make you put money on the game, even if you can technically take money out, you mostly going to "use" the money.

For example: You deposit 10 bucks in game, you buy a pistol and ammo, you go out hunting, when you use all your ammo and you consider you finishes hunting you will probably have less than 10 bucks in loot, thats how the game works. The game is fun, but dont try to make a proffit, is almost impossible. (And I like it and play it from time to time, but I know what the game is)

• IfcwhuffesIfcwhuffes Member UncommonPosts: 35

Yeah, in theory, You could make alot of money with only a 20-50 investment. Chance are almost non existent imo, but there is always that chance.

Now if your going in with the mentality of making money off this game.. might as well drop that dream. i think i heard that its designed for you to lose money. Now that with that said, is it a bad game? Not at all, i actually find it very enjoyable. and find it worth dropping money into here and then. My current goal is to get my first Global/HoF(Killing/mining something with loot worth enough money to be announce in all chat) find. ive been playing for a good while and have yet to get a Global hit from mining. :( which saddens me deeply.

You could always farm sweat.(only thing in the game thats completely free), But thats a slow and painfully dull process, plus at the time when i used to sweat, ped prices had dropped to the point of not being worth it anymore.

Currently Playing: LoL,EVE, Rift

Future Games: WH40K:DM, Tera Planetside2

Past Games Ive tried:
    WoW, FE, AoC, WAR, LotRO, Tabula Rasa,GW, and Many F2P games.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

what sort of losers play with 60 grand of real money in an mmo.

if you want hardcore pvp drop 50 grand on body armor and a machine gun and go pvp the po po.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

Originally posted by Talin

Originally posted by thebigchin11

this whole story is clearly BS, lets leave it.

I have to agree on this; without clear documented proof from a reliable source, this is nonsense to me.

I also find it interesting there are certain posters in this thread continuing to hype up the story each time it lulls, which makes me call this a deliberate attempt to draw attention to a relatively unpopular game.

QFT on that one :)

I only know one guy who still plays this game and has actually sunk about 50.000$ into it, how much he has earned from it i do not know, but the game it self is a money sink and not worth it, so yes i would say this is a desperate attempt to get more people into the game.

This discussion has been closed.