Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Charging for content that should have been in on day 1.

MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133

This new Green Lantern stuff should have been in the game on day 1. But now they are going to charge you for it. Might and Mastery should have been in on day 1. But when they come out with it they will charge you for it.

PEOPLE: They gave you a super hero game with only 6 power sets. Did anyone else ever say "WTF!"?

Just saying.....

And yes, I own the game and I tested it in beta a couple of months before release. The game is amazing for about a week until you realize that you are burned out.

/rant off

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

well.. its not like this wasnt seen coming.. not that i agree with it.. but the deliberate holding back of content just so they can charge for it later..  blatant cash grab is about the only way to describe it...   image

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by Mizzmo

This new Green Lantern stuff should have been in the game on day 1. But now they are going to charge you for it. Might and Mastery should have been in on day 1. But when they come out with it they will charge you for it.

PEOPLE: They gave you a super hero game with only 6 power sets. Did anyone else ever say "WTF!"?Do some searching you'll see more then a few of my posts saying exactly this.  If you Beta-ed and looked at the forums you'd remeber there was a Might and mastery post that reached something like 15 + pages with many Dev posts.

Just saying..... This is just irritating when people say this..it adds nothing to the converstaion  /rant_off

And yes, I own the game and I tested it in beta a couple of months before release. The game is amazing for about a week until you realize that you are burned out.  You had the option of NOt buying and waiting to see if SOE would keep up with their promises of monthly updates.  You beta-ed and knew full well what you were paying for.  How much did oyu play in Beta, most people noticed the same thing, the new game feel lasted for about 1 week, you could play everything in about a month 

/rant off

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Robokapp

vote with  the wallet...bad games diserve death so overall quality can go up - one way or another.

Given SOE's rep at the moment.. i can't think of a worse thing to try and do to their remaining paying customers..  making them pay even more... that'll improve their popularity... image

• toonatoona Member Posts: 8

The saddest part of this DLC is that the people still left have invested so much time to this content starved game that they are going to buy it. If the content updated at a monthly pace 'switcharoo' wasn't enough to set off an alarm, maybe knowing they have a staff making purchasable content while they still can't live up to that selling feature is.  I hope $OE nickels and dimes all the remaining player base as long as they are willing to pony up any cash after so many broken promises. They deserve to get fleeced and fleeced hard at this point. I'm sorry if that comes off mean spirited, but if allow yourself to be swindled time and time again you deserve the exact treament that $OE loves to serve up.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

SOE did the same thing with SWG and the Jump to light speed expansion. It is simply how SOE does business.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I'm confused, when did DCUO release? Not that I'm hip to DLC for an MMO that charages monthly. I'm just confused of why content  released now should have been released at launch.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Malickie

I'm confused, when did DCUO release? Not that I'm hip to DLC for an MMO that charages monthly. I'm just confused of why content  released now should have been released at launch.

Because it was in the beta fully fleshed out fully balanced, they held it back at launch. This isnt content they have worked tirelessly on to help us progress this is content they kept safe in a draw waiting for this "OH SHIT WE GOT NOES SUBSCRIBERS WE NEED MONIES FROM THE RAINY DAY DRAW"

Originally posted by GreenHell

SOE did the same thing with SWG and the Jump to light speed expansion. It is simp[ly how SOE does business.

Hardly the same thing, JTL was basically a game within a game, SWG released June 26th 2003, JTL Oct. 27 2004, over a year later. It's not like SOE is the only company that releases and charges for expansions.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Wicoa

Because it was in the beta fully fleshed out fully balanced, they held it back at launch. This isnt content they have worked tirelessly on to help us progress this is content they kept safe in a draw waiting for this "OH SHIT WE GOT NOES SUBSCRIBERS WE NEED MONIES FROM THE RAINY DAY DRAW"

Haha I have no idea what that last part means . . I still laughed though.  That does seem a little sad.  I am glad I held off on buying this one. . I really liked the beta but when they said they would do monthly updates I was sceptical.  You can't get mad at people for getting PO'd though. . not everyone went through the NGE. etc.  They will know better for next time though.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Wicoa

Yeah JTL most certainly isn't the same situation then. I was completely unaware of this, so yeah I understand the concern.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I am actually sad this game tanked it had great potential  with a nice foundation, it couldn't weather a storm on its own, it needed to be developed on unfortunately SOE behaved like cowboy builders they were slow, unresponsive, unsympathetic and down right expensive.

Pardon me for this but dragon nests combat system (a F2P game) implemented into dcuo would have rocked they both are similar except dragon nest has less click mouse button 9x for combo etc.  However DCUOs combat system is the last thing that needs work.

• GravezGravez Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by GreenHell

SOE did the same thing with SWG and the Jump to light speed expansion. It is simp[ly how SOE does business.

Hardly the same thing, JTL was basically a game within a game, SWG released June 26th 2003, JTL Oct. 27 2004, over a year later. It's not like SOE is the only company that releases and charges for expansions.

I think he means they are doing exactly the same thing in how they are going about this.

SOE for months kept saying the Combat Revamp/Balance would be released soon. They even nerf creatures and creature handlers in preparation. Game updates/fixes get slower and slower.

They announce JTL. Say that they have 2 seperate teams working on the live game and the expansion and that JTL development will not interfere with SWG updates.

SOE keeps stringing people along with the Combat Revamp/Balance being done soon.

They tell the customers they have to pull people from the Combat Revamp/live team in order for JTL to get finished. Meanwhile the game is a total mess.

SOE brings in a group of players for a summit after JTL is released (I forget if it was before or after reelease) to try to save face and show them the Combat Revamp plans so they will tell players how awesome it is and string people along for another few months while they have to fix all the things they broke with JTL.

So they have a game that is totally screwed up, they continually lie for months about the Combat Revamp being almost done to keep people subbed, but instead of fixing problems and making the game better they are more worried about a paid expansion. 

They are doing the exact same thing with this DLC. They are even trying to bullshit people into thinking if it's broken up into 3 parts that it will somehow equal a normal MMO expansion.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Exactly as Gravez just said.  SOE promises to do something the players ask or their game desperately need, but then put those things on the back burner as they work on anything that will generate extra money from the player base.

They promised the combat rebalance was top priority for SWG as that is what players asked for when surveyed.  Yet they shelved that for over a year as they pulled almost the entire team to work on the first expansion.

They are doing the same thing with DCU now.  Promising to get the monthly content out "as fast as possible" and citing how hard it is to make content that fast.  Yet at the same thime they are hard at work on the first cash expansion for the game and a micro transaction cash shop on top of that.

Anything that carries an additional price tag on it will always have top priority for SOE.   To compound that problem, SOE has a nasty habit of putting price tags on things that are crucial fixes or updates to troubled areas of their games.  Essentially they feel entitled to additional fees for even fixing problems they created.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

It’s not just SOE, Cryptic did the same thing with Star Trek Online, in the first few months after launch we could see that more content was desperately needed, but all we saw was them steadily adding more c-store items, that should have been used to keep us going till the next real update. By the time I quit the c-store was overflowing, but the new content was a trickle.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by zevni78

It’s not just SOE, Cryptic did the same thing with Star Trek Online, in the first few months after launch we could see that more content was desperately needed, but all we saw was them steadily adding more c-store items, that should have been used to keep us going till the next real update. By the time I quit the c-store was overflowing, but the new content was a trickle.

Interestingly enough STO was developed under CEO John Needham who prior to running Cryptic was the a SOE Vice President under John Smedley for several years. 

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

It's just more typical SOE. This game is all but dead (the last time I was in the game was after I got a 'free month' e-mail a few weeks ago and the once high pop server my characters are on is so dead that I'm lucky to encounter two other player in all of Watchtower in a saturday night. PvP is dead, most of the group content at any level, dead. SOE should be throwing content into this game to bring back players who was is a solid game that simply severely lacks any good content. But what are they doing? Throwing DLC into the mix. Do they really expect the few hundred people (apprently) who still play this game to pay for content that should be included in their $15 monthly fee?

I'd have expected SOE to have learned this lesson, but clearly their greed driven execs have none. I've greatly enjoyed the game from beta to release but the lack of content drove me (and obviously most poeple) away from the game. I've still followed it but the promise of monthly content updates has turned into six months with hardly nothing and DLC containing content that is already in the game but locked away. Honestly SOE the game is on it's last legs sadly, this isn't helping. I mean seriously they haven't even touched some of the most basic and popular requests for changes in the game. Things like the simple ability to remove quests from your queue that you don't want to do.

It'll be sad when this one goes because it's been the most promising game from SOE in a long ass time. But it's their own fault.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

i spoke with my wallet.... by not buying it.

and dont think im a DC hater, my favorite villians are DC

it sucks but we need to stop buying partial games just because it has a good IP.