Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese Gov't: Smoking is great for Health

rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

"Cigarettes, according to China's tobacco authorities, are an excellent way to prevent ulcers. They also reduce the risk of Parkinson's disease, relieve schizophrenia, boost your brain cells, speed up your thinking, improve your reactions and increase your working efficiency.

Pay no attention to those lung cancer warnings - they're nonsense. You're more likely to get cancer from cooking smoke! Those are the words of wisdom from China's state-owned tobacco monopoly, the world's most successful cigarette-marketing agency. With annual sales of 1.8 trillion cigarettes, the Chinese are responsible for nearly 1/3 of all cigarettes smoked on the whole planet.

The official website of the tobacco monopoly claims cigarettes are a kind of miracle drug: solving your health problems, helping your lifestyle, strengthening the equality of women, and even eliminating loneliness and depression. “Smoking removes your troubles and worries,” says a 37-year-old female magazine editor, quoted approvingly on the website. “Holding a cigarette is like having a walking stick in your hand, giving you support. “Quitting smoking would bring you misery, shortening your life.” Such statements are widely believed in China.

2/3 of Chinese men are smokers, and surveys show that approx. 90% believe their habit has little effect on their health, or is good for them. Even in China's medical community, 60% of male doctors are smokers. No wonder Western tobacco companies are drooling over the Chinese market of 360 million smokers.

This week, a group of Canadian experts went to China in an effort to convince Chinese smokers of more realistic effects of smoking. They distributed anti-smoking posters, visited cancer patients, showed the graphic warnings on Canadian cigarette packs, and lectured on how the anti-smoking campaign has reduced Canada's lung-cancer rate. They face a struggle in China, a country where the tobacco industry provides 60 million jobs and 10% of national tax revenue.

“In China today, the economy comes first and everything else is secondary, including health care,” Dr. Jean Couture, a Quebec surgeon, said. “You wonder if anyone in the government is conscious of how great the smoking problem is. There's no public education program. The Chinese anti-smoking association is very weak and has almost no money. Within 20 years, China could have the majority of all smoking deaths in the world.” Couture leads anti-smoking campaigns in 4 Chinese provinces, and has been involved with China's smoking problem since 1990.

As Canadians distributed posters at a hospital, they saw a number of people smoking in the hospital. A hospital shop was openly selling cigarettes. While smoking rates have fallen sharply in Canada in the past two decades, the rate in China is still rising. The number of Chinese smokers is growing by 3 million a year, despite an estimated 1.3 million tobacco-related deaths annually.

Chinese cigarettes are cheap — as little as 30 cents a pack — and the health warnings are hidden in small print on the sides of the packages. Though cigarette advertising is technically illegal, tobacco companies are allowed to promote their corporate names. Children can easily buy cigarettes at Chinese shops, despite an official ban on sales to those under 18. Money, money, money." - Globe and Mail

What a brilliant idea of decreasing China's population.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

Comments

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805
    lets hope they all don't die of lung cancer, i need someone to make my shoes.
  • AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048
    I wouldn't consider this shocking. We practically do the same thing with different products, or different actions.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

Great their country will help more to global warming lol!

Want George bush to die too

• VercadesVercades Member Posts: 1,065

Now if they would just stop killing babies and let parents have more then one child..

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Originally posted by Vercades

Now if they would just stop killing babies and let parents have more then one child..

If you're talking about the Law that supported abortions by removing certain govenmental benefits of families that conceived and bore babies that passed the 1st child born.

That I believe was in fact repealed in 2001.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I honestly don't see the need for such an uprising against smoking -- I mean, if you would just look at how much money is being spent in anti-smoking campaigns, it's just insane!

and besides, do you think smokers are going to QUIT? and those who were going to start NOT start? I mean, c'mon guys, let's be realistic now. All these organizations are throwing around money to try and prevent smoking, for what!? A few people die of cancer, big deal! People die of a LOT more things than cancer that need our attention and money besides smoking.

• SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

I honestly don't see the need for such an uprising against smoking -- I mean, if you would just look at how much money is being spent in anti-smoking campaigns, it's just insane!

and besides, do you think smokers are going to QUIT? and those who were going to start NOT start? I mean, c'mon guys, let's be realistic now. All these organizations are throwing around money to try and prevent smoking, for what!? A few people die of cancer, big deal! People die of a LOT more things than cancer that need our attention and money besides smoking.

• DinionDinion Member Posts: 879

I guess its just another way to try to fix china's overpopulation problem. Killing people with cigs.

----------------------------------
    MMOs Retired From: Earth and Beyond, Project Entropia, There, A Tale in the Desert, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Eve Online, City of Heroes/Villains.

MMOs Currently (worth) Playing: None.

MMO hopefuls: Age of Conan.

• VercadesVercades Member Posts: 1,065

Originally posted by Aldaron

Originally posted by Vercades

If you're talking about the Law that supported abortions by removing certain govenmental benefits of families that conceived and bore babies that passed the 1st child born.

That I believe was in fact repealed in 2001.

I guess that's good news.  I been awhile since I checked up on China's politics.
  • RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Originally posted by Dinion

I guess its just another way to try to fix china's overpopulation problem. Killing people with cigs.

id say

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Hey Rathma, do you have a link to this article? I want to send it to some people.. lol

• CaptainQCaptainQ Member Posts: 21

... I honestly don't know what I should say... I guess there is just too little one can do in this world. Oh well it could be worse the government could be saying arsenic is great ones health hehe.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

Originally posted by dsorrent
    Hey Rathma, do you have a link to this article? I want to send it to some people.. lol

here

The actual source is from Globe and Mail but they're corporate fools, they make you sign up to read it.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • Zerocool032Zerocool032 Member Posts: 729

Originally posted by metalfoxus

lmfao

• FilipinoFuryFilipinoFury Member Posts: 1,056

Like I posted in a rant about smoking a couple days back. You would think they would realize that smoking is bad from them. They have way to many people jammned into that country anyways.

On Time? On Target? Never Quit?

• Hello can I buy some pot?

• gargantroogargantroo Member Posts: 1,477

Originally posted by enemymind
    Hello can I buy some pot?
    Shwag or dro? I just found my little sister's nanny growing 3 plants chest-high at the side of our house.

i play on australian servers because racism is acceptable there
  • PhrequencyPhrequency Member Posts: 314

ok, all i read in this whole post is about 3 paragraphs(to where you said they claim its a miracle drug)

they created pot and cocaine and most of the illegal substances on this planet and they claim they are miracle drugs.

their population is booming on the planet, hell they only let each family have one boy (still i think)

they are simply trying to slowly kill their population. think about it.

edit: i just wondered... if you shoot every person who has put something in their mouth to smoke, marijuana, cigarettes, cigars, etc. thats like 2/3s of the world

Main character in Pure Pwnage, Jeremy as himself and Teh Pwnerer...

Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File
    http://www.OriginNow.com
  • ikraikra Member Posts: 339

and that my friend is the sad truth of communism

i~ku~ra

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805

You make me wanna commit hate crimes.
  • PhrequencyPhrequency Member Posts: 314

Originally posted by gargantroo
    Shwag or dro? I just found my little sister's nanny growing 3 plants chest-high at the side of our house.

i say you package that stuff and sell it

Main character in Pure Pwnage, Jeremy as himself and Teh Pwnerer...

Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File
    http://www.OriginNow.com
  • FLCLsagaFLCLsaga Member Posts: 1
    That's pretty funny..image

TsirorreT

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Originally posted by metalfoxus

BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA....

oohhh my god.

you rule.

• combatpoocombatpoo Member Posts: 13

u raciest bastards go to hell

• j-monsterj-monster Member Posts: 1,060

Originally posted by combatpoo

u raciest bastards go to hell

sex.