Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pushed out by the community- Goodbye Azeroth

13»

Comments

• ColdskinColdskin Member Posts: 22

Originally posted by Shodanas

Originally posted by Pyro240

Then there's trade and general chat. You can't ask questions in trade or general chat anymore or use trade to find raids, groups...

Yes, you CAN'T ask questions or find groups and raids in the *****ng trade chat!! Players who do this are as bad as the "anal ...." or the "dirge" idiots.  6 years i never ever used the /2 channel for anything than trade business. 

Fanboy spotted

Can you elaborate on this? I am a fanboy because i hate to see the trade channel filled with everything else except trade info? 

And btw, i quited WoW 2 months ago. And by "quited" i mean the real thing. Deleted my toons, gave away my gold and valuable BoE items and cancelled my account. 

I totally agree with u , nowadays many newbie use /2 to talk or try to find a raid team. they even dont know /4...

btw, i express regret over u have quitted

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Elidien

Originally posted by Astralglide

Originally posted by spookydom

WoW = Lord of the flies.

This should have been my original post.

Actually that is an idiotic and meaningless example. Lord of the Flies is, at its most basic, an illustration of the state of nature as discussed by Hobbes writing opposed to Locke on the philosophy of government. Hobbes asserts that life in the state of nature is "nasty, brutish and short" and among other things why we need the rule of law. Lord of the Flies is a more modern illustration as to what happens when the rule of law and order  are non-existant, (This is great over-simplification of the works of Hobbes but it suffices for this purpose).

The difference with WOW is that Blizzard gives you the tools of to enforce law and order. You can report people, opt out of the channel, etc......you are not forced to watch or read or participate if you want or do not want too.  It is far from Lord of the Flies as are all MMO's.

Somebody seems to have had sense of humour bypass surgery.

• BarkopoloBarkopolo Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by Elidien

The difference with WOW is that Blizzard gives you the tools of to enforce law and order. You can report people, opt out of the channel, etc......you are not forced to watch or read or participate if you want or do not want too.  It is far from Lord of the Flies as are all MMO's.

Oh come on. Don't you know that it's easier to blame someone or something else rather than yourself for a bad experience?

"If I'm not enjoying the game from the beginning then why do I need to torture myself to get to "end cap" to see the "real" game? WTF? Why can't the WHOLE GAME BE THE REAL GAME" - TheExplorer
  • ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Aye, i have all but stopped running instances/raids alltogether myself. I dont ask questions in chat and i certainly do not reply to questions anymore (why should i) when you just get insulted when you do or don't.

I have also been a player since week 1 with 2 breaks totalling about 10-11 months out of the game. I read somewhere (this was about 3-4 weeks ago) that Blizzard have actually lost 1.8 million monthly subscriptions since the release of cataclysm. I can well believe that as i am see'ing more and more stop playing. I myself am now completly bored and do need something new, alas i dont think anything will be comming out anytime soon. Aye there is the bunch of very highly rated and hyped games, alas i don't think they will be any good (will be surprised if 1 of them is to be honest).

I will probably go for Rift for a month after my existing WoW account runs out as there is not much holding me there anymore, the server i am on is forever marked low in population and as Alliance we are a 5-1 minority. You can tell is a dead/dying server when the Horde players are shouting how dire their population level of players is. Looking at the server populations (EU) about the only servers marked LOW are PvP servers, however i will not fork out £120 just to move my characters to somewhere new, not on a game thats 7yrs old, has a nasty community thesedays and most players are just waiting for something new and decent to come out, then you will see a mass exodus from WoW. Right now the way i see things is lvl up to 85, get semi decent gear and re-roll a new toon as you have finished with that one till the next expansion hits.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

The problem isn't the game, the problem is the number of stupid people in circulation: basic laws of human stupidity

Since WoW has a vastly higher number of players than other games, the number of stupid people is far more evident. Every game has stupid people.

from the first basic law of human stupidity:

b) day after day, with unceasing monotony, one is harassed in one's activities by stupid individuals who appear suddenly and unexpectedly in the most inconvenient places and at the most improbable moments.

• i00x00ii00x00i Member Posts: 243

Originally posted by gigat

The problem isn't the game, the problem is the number of stupid people in circulation: basic laws of human stupidity

Since WoW has a vastly higher number of players than other games, the number of stupid people is far more evident. Every game has stupid people.

from the first basic law of human stupidity:

b) day after day, with unceasing monotony, one is harassed in one's activities by stupid individuals who appear suddenly and unexpectedly in the most inconvenient places and at the most improbable moments.

+1

Most people go through life pretending to be a boss. I go through life pretending I'm not.

• sebbonxsebbonx Member Posts: 318

I have been playing WoW off and on since Vanilla and have been an ardent defender of the game on these very forums. I was mostly a raider who did a little PvP and I will admit that I am a little bit of a troll (its hard to ignore stupid sometimes). The community in WoW has always been a little rough around the edges but, overall people were generally nice and helpful. Then, the devs released the dungeon finder. The dungeon finder, originally, was okay. You could kick people all you wanted. Yes, there was some abuse of the system and people complained- so the devs decided to make it almost impossible to kick someone out of a groupl if you were playing with friends. That, couple with the DF not matching people that were on the same servers until recently, created an environment where people were forced to play with nasty, mean, foul-mouthed fails who refused to play the game well with others. It got to the point that I could not even get through a boss-fight  in random dungeon in under 30 mintues because of all the fail, ass-hattery, and dropping/ waiting that went on. People refuse to target the tanks target, they refuse to get out of AOE, and they love to scream at each other the whole time instead of dropping the boss. It. is. not. fun.

Then there's trade and general chat. You can't ask questions in trade or general chat anymore or use trade to find raids, groups, or trade goods/services because of all the "Anal [Random Ability]" spam, ridiculous amount of trolling, or discussions of various deities expelling bodily fluids in various orrifices of various animals and parental/religious/political figures. If they are not discussing those things, then they are screaming vulgar racial epiphets. If I had a child under the age of 16, he/she would NOT be allowed to play WoW. 

I believe what has happened is that  Blizzard/ Activision believes that enforcing their EULA and keeping public channels free of such talk would cause them to lose more subs than people who are tired of seeing it. I have decided to vote with my dollar and unsub. I am currently playing EVE Online and waiting on SWTOR. I hope to see all of the people who are tired of the filth that has become WoW there too.

If no one else said it yet, CAN I HAVE YOUR STUFF?

If you have any questions please ask. I have moved on to WoW from eq and no longer have any desire to play a dead game. Thank you. (posted by another selling his account in EQ1)

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

I quit in 2008 for similar reasons. I like the game for what it is, and they haven't made any recent changes that I'd question. But, the boringness of that ancient game system takes the form of relentless retardation.

The King refuses these peasants.

Still, the MMO community at large has gotten like that to some degree. Even in LotRO any glff chat is rife with a mild version of the same BS. It's easy to ignore in that game.

These are the reasons why I miss Shadowbane.

You could literally hunt these people down and kill them. So satisfying.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • BravnikBravnik Member UncommonPosts: 158

When you cater your game to children you get children. It's that simple. WOW got more subs by going casual friendly but it also ruined the game for me. My last straw was WOTLK as it simply made the entire game (raiding included) so dumbed down a caveman could do it.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Then there's trade and general chat. You can't ask questions in trade or general chat anymore or use trade to find raids, groups...

Yes, you CAN'T ask questions or find groups and raids in the *****ng trade chat!! Players who do this are as bad as the "anal ...." or the "dirge" idiots.  6 years i never ever used the /2 channel for anything than trade business. 

Yeah.  But, they removed the global chat that was what trade is now.  So, it's bad enough for them to remove an entire channel but even though trade turned into the same thing, it's ok for them to do nothing about it?  If they would actually enforce their own rules, they wouldn't have needed to remove it in the first place.  And don't say they can't afford to.  It's not about can.  It's about want.  There are so many levels where they fail at enforcing their own rules.  That's our fault?  Nope.  They drag their feet on all of it and are very lapse on enforcement.   Forum trolling is also against the rules, but you can see it every hour of the day.  People that post nothing meaninful in conversations, people that do nothing but insult others with old memes, and people that do their best to not help or actually participate in the actual conversation.  Those people are just looked over.  But, dare to post a critique of the company itself and you'll find yourself banned or your post locked in seconds with a post about how you broke the rules.  Did they?  Yes.  But it's obvious how non level/biased  they are with that enforcement.  Blizzard has no one to blame for the current situation in trade and on the forums but themselves for letting it go on.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Bravnik

When you cater your game to children you get children. It's that simple. WOW got more subs by going casual friendly but it also ruined the game for me. My last straw was WOTLK as it simply made the entire game (raiding included) so dumbed down a caveman could do it.

Yes, but they also treat everyone like unintelligent children.  Then, they expect customers to not act like how they are treated.  Honestly, Blizzard itself acts like a group a children as well.  Infallable, egostistical, spoiled, children.

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

Originally posted by paroxysm

Originally posted by Bravnik

Yes, but they also treat everyone like unintelligent children.  Then, they expect customers to not act like how they are treated.  Honestly, Blizzard itself acts like a group a children as well.  Infallable, egostistical, spoiled, children.

Who take 100 years to release the same three games over and over again.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

Originally posted by sebbonx

I have been playing WoW off and on since Vanilla and have been an ardent defender of the game on these very forums. I was mostly a raider who did a little PvP and I will admit that I am a little bit of a troll (its hard to ignore stupid sometimes). The community in WoW has always been a little rough around the edges but, overall people were generally nice and helpful. Then, the devs released the dungeon finder. The dungeon finder, originally, was okay. You could kick people all you wanted. Yes, there was some abuse of the system and people complained- so the devs decided to make it almost impossible to kick someone out of a groupl if you were playing with friends. That, couple with the DF not matching people that were on the same servers until recently, created an environment where people were forced to play with nasty, mean, foul-mouthed fails who refused to play the game well with others. It got to the point that I could not even get through a boss-fight  in random dungeon in under 30 mintues because of all the fail, ass-hattery, and dropping/ waiting that went on. People refuse to target the tanks target, they refuse to get out of AOE, and they love to scream at each other the whole time instead of dropping the boss. It. is. not. fun.

Then there's trade and general chat. You can't ask questions in trade or general chat anymore or use trade to find raids, groups, or trade goods/services because of all the "Anal [Random Ability]" spam, ridiculous amount of trolling, or discussions of various deities expelling bodily fluids in various orrifices of various animals and parental/religious/political figures. If they are not discussing those things, then they are screaming vulgar racial epiphets. If I had a child under the age of 16, he/she would NOT be allowed to play WoW. 

I believe what has happened is that  Blizzard/ Activision believes that enforcing their EULA and keeping public channels free of such talk would cause them to lose more subs than people who are tired of seeing it. I have decided to vote with my dollar and unsub. I am currently playing EVE Online and waiting on SWTOR. I hope to see all of the people who are tired of the filth that has become WoW there too.

If no one else said it yet, CAN I HAVE YOUR STUFF?

Yes, but its on Malfurion Horde

-Voltaire

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

The OP has obviously never played Guild Wars or World of Tanks if he thinks WoW's community is bad. WoW's community is no better or worse than any other.  I played for a few years and rarely came across anyone that genuinly pissed me off.  Even the dungeon finder groups weren't that bad, with maybe 1 in 10 groups containing an actual douche bag.  It sounds like someone wants to act all offended and needed an excuse to quit a game they were burnt out on.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by Ginaz

The OP has obviously never played Guild Wars or World of Tanks if he thinks WoW's community is bad. WoW's community is no better or worse than any other.  I played for a few years and rarely came across anyone that genuinly pissed me off.  Even the dungeon finder groups weren't that bad, with maybe 1 in 10 groups containing an actual douche bag.  It sounds like someone wants to act all offended and needed an excuse to quit a game they were burnt out on.

LOL, sorry bruh, but Guild Wars' community doesn't even compare to the abomination that is World of Warcraft's. As a Warcraft vet who has been with the game since beta, I can tell that you either haven't played in a very long time (years), or you've never played at all. 

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by ironfungus

LOL, sorry bruh, but Guild Wars' community doesn't even compare to the abomination that is World of Warcraft's. As a Warcraft vet who has been with the game since beta, I can tell that you either haven't played in a very long time (years), or you've never played at all. 

Yes I have, bruh.  I stopped playing WoW back in Feb. of this year.  The general chat in GW is often vile.  Wow's trade chat is mostly annoying.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Fair enough, I have not played ALL MMOs (I have played lots, though) and GW and WOT were two that I did not. I didn't like GW simply because there was no jump (yes, I'm one of those people) and WOT just sounded dumb to me.

-Voltaire

• I loved dungeon finder till the nerf.  However, dungeon finder didn't make me quit WoW.  Cataclysm did.

• BoraxeBoraxe Member Posts: 18

I agreed with the OP except on one thing, that "overall people were generally nice and helpful". I am hard pressed to jusifiy that one. The overall nastiness in Cata Heroics became so overwhelming for me, I stopped doing them altogether. No amount of tokens or glitering prizes was going to get me in one of those again. Without going into great detail by listing out each and every bad experience I have had just to prove that fact I have had bad experiences in Wow Heroics; I will just say that the experiences in Wow heroics left me so emotionally scared that I will never do them again. And I will also say that I have truly gained a new respect for all of those people who were smart enough to loot and scoot as soon as they won an item.

There are so many other aspects of just how horrible the community is. I was called a mother fu@cker because I would not help someone with a quest. Then trade was filled with who ninja'd what item. There were scams of all types, one of which were the mass guild kicks after reaching level 25. So much for only doing things with the guild. Trade chat talk was filled with it's usual garbage and kill stealing was out of control. Then there was the exclusion for people who have not downed certain bosses making PUGs more difficult to join. It wasn't worth it to try anymore and the constant nerfs only made things worse. When people complained, they were greeted with "are you mad bro?" or "if you don't like it, leave". In my opinion the wow community is the worse community EVER!

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Originally posted by Boraxe

I agreed with the OP except on one thing, that "overall people were generally nice and helpful". I am hard pressed to jusifiy that one. The overall nastiness in Cata Heroics became so overwhelming for me, I stopped doing them altogether. No amount of tokens or glitering prizes was going to get me in one of those again. Without going into great detail by listing out each and every bad experience I have had just to prove that fact I have had bad experiences in Wow Heroics; I will just say that the experiences in Wow heroics left me so emotionally scared that I will never do them again. And I will also say that I have truly gained a new respect for all of those people who were smart enough to loot and scoot as soon as they won an item.

There are so many other aspects of just how horrible the community is. I was called a mother fu@cker because I would not help someone with a quest. Then trade was filled with who ninja'd what item. There were scams of all types, one of which were the mass guild kicks after reaching level 25. So much for only doing things with the guild. Trade chat talk was filled with it's usual garbage and kill stealing was out of control. Then there was the exclusion for people who have not downed certain bosses making PUGs more difficult to join. It wasn't worth it to try anymore and the constant nerfs only made things worse. When people complained, they were greeted with "are you mad bro?" or "if you don't like it, leave". In my opinion the wow community is the worse community EVER!

Would have to agree with the overall nastiness and abuse through instance runs there. Even though the server i am on is perpetually marked LOW and the ratio is at least 5-1 against my faction (think the only servers that are Low populated are the pvp ones). You go in an instance and its bitch and moan all teh way through from players, then they always dig at the tanks and healers and some dps (but mainly tanks and healers), this did start during TBC, drifted off a bit with WotLK but has come back several times over with cata. I have a priest, but have never healed since TBC, i play my main (hunter) but every single instance i go in is the same, dig at the healers/tanks so they leave, spend 20 mins finding a new one, 1 bad thing they dig at them again. Any wonder the game lacks tanks and healers as these class's now do far superior dps to most dps only class's. However i just do not blame them at all switching from heal/tank roles to dps with teh aggro and abuse they get.

I always though logging into a game was ment to be FUN and ENJOYABLE, but thesedays it is not. I also no longer run instances or even do raids, i log in, do the dailies, level up a char, earn the rep, get what the best gear is that i can get from faction/player made and then once thats achieved roll another char. I have 6 finished, almost a 7th to 85 (most factions done) will leave rogue/warrior/shaman to do, once thats done i can drop teh game till a new expansion comes out, and then decide if it is worth getting by them (god hopefully something better and new would have come out by then).

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Hah. You want a bad community? You get into a game of DOTA. Or HoN. Or LoL.

Wow's community is peach compared to that.

• OilcanharryOilcanharry Member Posts: 73

You lasted longer than most of us who started when the game was new.

Man Of Constant Sorrow

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

No, the master plan is more subtle than that.  Let it run on long enough, and after N years anyone that's still left is Part of the Problem and fumigation can commence.

"I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.