Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Exploration??

2»

Comments

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Is a solo player able to run a dungeon by himself if he comes across one in the world? I understand some dungeons are meant for groups but from the stories I've heard soloing dungeons is also a possiblity?

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by Ethian

Is a solo player able to run a dungeon by himself if he comes across one in the world? I understand some dungeons are meant for groups but from the stories I've heard soloing dungeons is also a possiblity?

With a Psionicist, anything is possible!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I think it depends on the class and or level.

I've run through dungeons lower than my level to see them. There are dungeons in the world that one can do solo if you are careful.

Expect to die a bit in Vanguard unlike some other games. Seriously I've gone levels in Lord of the Rings where I never died.

Vanguard? All sorts of things. here is a fun one. I recently discovered a cave in an area where the mobs were a bit harder but because I was higher in level I could take them on one by one.

Well, I discovered that besides the regular mobs roaming around there were also mobs "under" the tunnels of this cave complex.

I didn't die but I had to play very well in order to get through it.

As I mentioned above (I think I did) there is a sort of creepy haunted house that is very neat. unfortunatley with good playing I was only able to get inside the foyer and then was destroyed. I'll go back when I have more levels so I can see the whole thing.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Rangers for the win. You can solo the world with a ranger. Atleast for the most part lol. If you can kite it, you can kill it. Within reason that is.

So I've decided to hold off on Vanguard for now and stick with RIFT. Although rift really isnt all that different from other themepark MMOs it really does it right by combining all the good things from past MMOs into a polished and solid experience. I may as well admit the pvp and artifact exploration keeping me there for now ;-)

I will keep my eyes on Vanguard though as I plan to take the dive sometime in the near future. Perhaps even this winter I'll give it a serious go, hopefully by then the population will have increased abit as word gets out of possible future updates.

Good luck out there and thanks for all the info! 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

since this is on the topic, what kind of gameplay / exploration is available through the ships that are available?  Are there interesting areas out in the middle of hte ocean or is the point of a ship just to get to the other continent?  I played back at launch and they promised a whole lot around ships, but i'm not sure how much actually made it in...

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

There are islands with additional quests even dungeons - however, you are usually not lead to them, you will also hardly find any walkthrough about them on the internet, you actually have to find them and learn the tactics by yourself!

Indeed, for a crafter, you can find rare resources, which are valuable and may improve the item you're crafting. The crafting is a process, a minigame, not just a casting bar going from here !¬¬¬¬¬¬¬65%       !   to here, you have action points and the item you create has 4 quality levels. The more you try to polish the final product, the more complications you may get (broken tool, minor injuries...) which cost you action points. (and indeed if you run out of them, you actually break the item and lose the resources) The system is not abstract, it's realistic. During crafting you add special powders that might improve certain part of the item (I guess that was..., let's say, adopted by Rift as well). For crafting, you have a special inventory panel with trousers, chests, gloves,... that may improve certain crafting attribute (4 attributes, and about 20 crafting skills) --- different builds for crafters exist, from defensive builds that rather rely on quality B and C end result with less complications, to the most offensive crafter builds that don't care if they break 5 items out of 10 if those other 5 are an A quality, and of course, everything in between.

You improve your crafting--mostly--by doing work orders. NPC gives you an order to do something, supplies you with resources, and you create it for him. The better quality you make it, the more reward you get -- so this isn't like the usual MMORPG, where you have to craft a hundred times the same boots only to later vendor them when you're improving your crafting tier.

Same goes for diplomacy, an actual card minigame with special attributes (and attitudes based on the type of parley), lots of different cards that you collect (and may find by exploring the huge world) and its special inventory panel. Same goes for your mount - you can add barding, saddlebags, etc, and on the top of that, everything I mentioned is craftable--from diplomacy, crafting, adventuring gear, throught mount equipment to 15 different ship designs and lots of house types, castles, guild halls, etc. This game has more depth than EVE Online.

REALITY CHECK

Not sure about the EvE online comment but from what I've read about Vanguard its defiently a notch above most other MMOs. Part of me wanted to cancel my RIFT sub and dive into Vanguard but I'm not sure I;d be able to convince my g/f to come with me. PvP is the major thing in Vanguard that I'd miss. Running around in a world without any threat from real players just doesnt feel the same for me unfortionately. My g/f as well enjoys pvp