Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Torchlight 2: Building on the Original

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Torchlight was a sleeper hit for Runic Studios in 2009. Since then, Runic has been building on and improving that success as the development of Torchlight 2 has gone on. At E3 2011, MMORPG.com's Carolyn Koh had the opportunity to check out Torchlight 2. See what she discovered then let us know what your thoughts are in the comments.

It’s a significantly larger game with more content and character customization, not just set characters to play with like the original Torchlight. Each character can be male or female and some features such as hair style and color and skin tone can be customized. Two characters had been revealed thus far, the Railman, an engineering-themed and rather Steampunk like melee fighter and the Outlander, a wandering nomad using ranged weapons and “low magic,” with the Berserker making its debut this E3.

Read more of Carolyn Koh's Torchlight 2: Building on the Original.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

I bought torchlight on steam as it was a couple of dollars and I was shocked at how uterly crap the game was. I mean it was like playing an arcade game from the 80/90s. 

So really could anyone careless if they made a sequal?!

Odd.

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Very interested to see what this turns into.

I played the first Torchlight a bit, and found it neat.

If the second one has more customization and complexity, it might very well hold my interest.

• DaduHulkDaduHulk Member UncommonPosts: 28

Ups.. anyway. I liked the first Torch. It caters to a particular like of mine : drops. It is a drop fest of items, so much they give you a dog to have extra space and run sell it. I only found it restrictive on the space to explore. I hope this one is more "open". It made for good fun, will probably try this one also. :)

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Saorlan

I bought torchlight on steam as it was a couple of dollars and I was shocked at how uterly crap the game was. I mean it was like playing an arcade game from the 80/90s. 

Odd.

Did you like Diablo or Diablo 2?

If so, you're hating on a game made by the original creators of D1 and D2, which plays pretty close to a remake of said games core mechanics.

Also if you're looking forward to Diablo 3... be prepared for more of the same.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Will this have stuff to do at endgame, I dont like the idea of killing my character to pass on benefits to my new fledgling. I want to make the char I play a king or queen teehee.

• michaelmnnmichaelmnn Member Posts: 39

Odd.

Well damn i look back and go....

It was suppose to....

I do wonder what is instore for this game

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Odd.

A lot of people care that they make a sequal.  I loved the first Torchlight as do a lot of other people and this second one is seeming to fix a lot of the major issues.

Metacritic has it rated at 83 (57 critits)/87(310 users).  So I would say that some people care.

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

But its not an MMO. Its a lobby. Why is this on MMORPG.com?

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

Originally posted by stragen001

I'll start by saying a lot of other lobby games are on here as well. But I believe the reason that Torchlight is here is because Runic games has plans to create an MMO with the Torchlight IP. (Dont quote me on that, but its what I THINK I remember.)

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by stragen001

Because its a precursor to Torchmmo. :)

Torchlight One.

Torchlight Two

Torchmmo and Torchlight Three.

Its the same reason on why Kingdoms of Amalur The Reckoning is covered here as well. Same lore, ideas, classes, etc ;)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Multiplayer this time with lan capabilities and modding tools. It is going to be pure win!

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168

I'm actually looking forward to this one a LOT more than Diablo 3. Go figure.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I liked Torchlight, but in my opinion, this sequel will be better than the original Torchlight in almost every way.

I can hardly wait for this one. 

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Torchlight is just zero stress, fun.  I am looking to playing CO OP with my friends :)

No bitchers.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I love Torchlight (and the Diablo's), but after twenty or thirty hours of playing, it feels like forcing myself to continue. A large part of that is because I can't share what I've done with other players, or challenge them, so with the introduction of basic network features and being able to play with friends, it should breathe some life back into this series for me.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

At this point everybody will just wait a little bit more for Diablo 3..

Seriously...

While torchlight wasn't a bad game, it wasn't that "great" either if you're being honest...

Originally posted by zellmer

At this point everybody will just wait a little bit more for Diablo 3..

Seriously...

While torchlight wasn't a bad game, it wasn't that "great" either if you're being honest...

And now that Activision runs blizzards show we dont know what Diablo 3 will be like either.  Personally, I find torchlight a bit more fun than Diablo 2 but I wish it had above ground things to do.  

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

This sounds pretty good to me.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• MastadaMastada Member Posts: 40

I bought torchlight on steam as it was a couple of dollars and I was shocked at how uterly awesome the game was. I mean it was like playing an arcade game from the 80/90s. 

So really could anyone complain less if they made a sequal?!

Odd.

Ed. Note: The numerous spelling errors are not mine. Though they were so good, I'd re-use them again. Special kind of genius. When brilliance like this is on display, it's gotta be shared with the world.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

God I hate the graphics its just woW turned into a diablo clone. You'd think they could make the graphics better the diablo not more cartoony and IMO  worse. Guess othersb  have different taste. Even without the cartoony wow like graphics that I oersonally am sick of it seems to have less features and less depth then what Diablo III is claiming to offer YMMV

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

Originally posted by winter

God I hate the graphics its just woW turned into a diablo clone. You'd think they could make the graphics better the diablo not more cartoony and IMO  worse. Guess othersb  have different taste. Even without the cartoony wow like graphics that I oersonally am sick of it seems to have less features and less depth then what Diablo III is claiming to offer YMMV

You do know that Diablo 3 is cartoony right?

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

the first Torchlight was alot of fun.....realy enjoyed it as a single player hack and slash game.

The second one will even be better so i am buying it :)

But for the real goodies i am waiting on Diablo 3.....that one will end my social life for a fiew weeks me thinks :)

• serapholseraphol Member Posts: 33

Pretty sure Torchlight series is a Diablo 3 beta of sorts. First one had too many drops and mindless class mechanics. Very arcade style.

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I got the first Torchlight cheap and had with it, but tired of it quickly.   IMO, it needs just a bit more story, more purpose to the non-stop killing.   Not a lot, but something.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Being a fan of D1, D2 and the original Torchlight, I'm looking forward to this one, very much so! I hope they make synergies in the character abilities a bit like D2 did. I enjoy the character development aspect of dungeon crawlers, but as a girl who started out on the old D&D table-top dungeon crawls, I guess it's to be expected, tee hee image

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.