Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Overwolf: Keeping you Connected

Comments

• overwolfoverwolf Member Posts: 51

Originally posted by Dameonk

Vallador and Kabaal.  No one's making you use the program.  Some people find this kind of thing useful.

1. Not every game can be alt+tabbed out of.  It will either crash or severly lag your computer when you try to go back into it. 

2. Not every game can be run in windowed mode, making an addon like this desirable.

3. You get better performance running a game in full screen mode than windowed, even with an application like this running in the background.

Just because you dont have a use for it does not mean it's not useful.

I am not affiliated with Overwolf and I haven't even used / do not plan to use this program, but I have used Steam Overlay and find it very useful.

Thank you Dameonk!

Accurate wods.

I want to extend this and emphasize that we are free to the user that wants to use our applications and increase his play time. We do all this work backstage that you should not bother yourself with, work that includes keeping our application ad-free, and mostly easy to use and free for you.

There are many other free to use applications out there which I am sure is in use in almost every machine. Don't rule us out simply because we're free - that's a good thing!

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by Dem3trius

This problem is solved by a second monitor. Why do I need my chat windows to sit over my game when they can be sitting on the screen right next to the one I am playing my game in?

Obviously you don't.

For others though, a free app may be a better option than forking out for a second monitor.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Not quite out of beta (Win7 64bit):

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:    BEX

Application Name:    Overwolf.exe

Application Version:    0.16.120.0

Application Timestamp:    4e178aea

Fault Module Name:    MSVCR80.dll

Fault Module Version:    8.0.50727.4927

Fault Module Timestamp:    4a2752ff

Exception Offset:    0001477d

Exception Code:    c000000d

Exception Data:    00000000

OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID:    1033

Additional Information 1:    3f62

Additional Information 2:    3f622825476e100d632f5fad64e4e836

Additional Information 3:    718b

Additional Information 4:    718b1d9e8e4f8b1044751c30f232d630

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

What my guild is looking for is a program that combines our website, teamspeak, and xfire features. So that everyone can see who is online and playing games and chat with text or voice while playing or not.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Does this use Awesomium? If it does, I think I'll pass since Age of Conan already has it built in. Maybe I'll try it for other games at a later date.

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

I have tried it, and while the whole concept is interesting, there are a few annoying points:

- I have not found a way to relocate the black dot that toggles the widget. It's very annoying in games like starcraft.

- If you load a widget before you launch your game, it might not appear in your game due to weird location issues. You'd have to move the widget on the desktop to see it in-game after.

- The skype conversation menu either shows up or not, but there's no way to make it a sleek tiny bar to hang up or not. It's quite big!

Originally posted by lunatis

I have tried it, and while the whole concept is interesting, there are a few annoying points:

- I have not found a way to relocate the black dot that toggles the widget. It's very annoying in games like starcraft.

- If you load a widget before you launch your game, it might not appear in your game due to weird location issues. You'd have to move the widget on the desktop to see it in-game after.

- The skype conversation menu either shows up or not, but there's no way to make it a sleek tiny bar to hang up or not. It's quite big!

Thanks for your comment:

If you are refering to the dock you can drag n' drog it to either side of the screen. You can also close it and use the hotkeys instead.

About the second point of the locations - we're looking into it, thanks!

Skype - are you talking about the call panel or the chat window ?

Originally posted by Mercantor

Does this use Awesomium? If it does, I think I'll pass since Age of Conan already has it built in. Maybe I'll try it for other games at a later date.

It is indeed Awesomium based. Bear in mind though that this application is more than just a browser :-)

Originally posted by mCalvert

What my guild is looking for is a program that combines our website, teamspeak, and xfire features. So that everyone can see who is online and playing games and chat with text or voice while playing or not.

Teamspeak should be supported shortly. Is the browser not supporting your website ?

And which xfire features would you like to see ?

Overwolf: the call window is the annoying one. Not the chat window! Thanks for the quick reply!

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Originally posted by overwolf

Originally posted by mCalvert

Teamspeak should be supported shortly. Is the browser not supporting your website ?

And which xfire features would you like to see ?

I meant in a more generic sense, that each of those programs have unique features which enhance gaming, beyond the ones Ive mentioned. If integrated into a single program it would be very useful. Basically if Steam had its own voice chat and some more powerful group tools, it would be perfect. It sounds like your program is getting close.

• infinity1001infinity1001 Member Posts: 2

This is a nice program but it cuts my framerate in half :(

• SvartlackadSvartlackad Member Posts: 54

Sadly, none of the games which I currently play have support for this. Maybe in the future, I use it mainly to keep everything under one tab at the moment tho, I like the design, good work. :)

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Pretty nice, you get the complete information package you might need about someone.

What games does one play, what does one do when he isn't playing games, what is ones job, what pages does one browse regularly, which products does one purchase online, whats ones preferred payment option, what kind of people does one know, is one married....

And all in one convenient package !

This is what PR-Guys fap to.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Originally posted by reillan

That's actually pretty cool.

Now if only games would embrace social media in-game more readily.

I play MMO's to get away from social media. Game time tracking and a messenger are fine but things like Facebook and Twitter can go fuck themselves.

I could add that the web browser is awesome but I wish it was more tab-browsing oriented than window browsing as it can get annoying when you have plenty of popups on top of your game window... it should offer to either open windows in a tab or in a new window once time and then be a selectable option.

Overwolf: it's great that you can hide the dot or chose which side it's on, can you make it so that you have to actually click on the black dot to open the widget menu also instead of a simple mouse-over? In some strategy games where you scroll all the time in can be a huge time saver!

• aikatearsaikatears Member UncommonPosts: 33

Due to the streaming program I use for game streaming all of my games are window mode (and hoping for an update to that program full screen soon) but its very helpful still in getting all the social stuff that i use to share when and what I am streaming for viewers instead opening chrome and have people see that for a min while I do stuff.

(now if you get livestreaming in there for games :) )

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Originally posted by lunatis

Overwolf: it's great that you can hide the dot or chose which side it's on, can you make it so that you have to actually click on the black dot to open the widget menu also instead of a simple mouse-over? In some strategy games where you scroll all the time in can be a huge time saver!

This is a great idea lunatis!  I am betting Uri can get that in the design for you as an option ;-)

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Originally posted by Alders

Originally posted by reillan

That's actually pretty cool.

Now if only games would embrace social media in-game more readily.

I play MMO's to get away from social media. Game time tracking and a messenger are fine but things like Facebook and Twitter can go fuck themselves.

I don't really use/like social media but I think the video recording, centralized screen shot taker and in game browser stuff is pretty cool...especially if you need to have a strategy site up while in the game.

I think this app has a little something everyone will benefit from.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• NazEternalNazEternal Member Posts: 34

Amazing program, definately worth every bit of the download

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Hmm, costs nothing, has no advertising, what's the catch?  How do they make money to justify its existence?

Doesn't matter, I'm too old for social media anyways.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

Is there a game compatibility list on the site or do I need to install the application for that? (bad idea if it's the latter).

so...

• TheoranTheoran Member UncommonPosts: 2

Hmm I like the program, it works nice on the desktop, and I would love to use it ingame. I play LotRo, but I cannot seem to get it to work ingame. (I run it at Ultra High in DirectX 11)

When I try to Control the client ingame it doesnt show up but if I try moving my camera (left mouse button) while it is supposed to be up, my camera goes spinning like crazy around my character, same when using my mouse to turn my character left or right, he goes spinning like crazy, until I Dismiss the client. I thought maybe my shortcut to Control/Dismiss the client may be overlapping with a shortcut in game that might have been causing the camera to go crazy, but when I tried a different shortcut, same outcome.  *sigh*

But despite that, I still like using it on the desktop cause I like the looks of Skype through the widget better :P

• HellCasterHellCaster Member UncommonPosts: 234

The free vid recording has my attention! I will have to compare it to my fraps.

Playing: varies every day it seems.