Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2, and Macbooks

GreenJusticeGreenJustice Member Posts: 15

Is there any chances of GW2 being developed for Macbooks in the future?

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382

If there is a big enough market for it.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Why would they develop it for Macbooks, specifically?

Wouldn't they develop it for OS X instead?

Also, why buy a Mac if you want to game?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• claytosclaytos Member Posts: 177

if GW2 become really popular and if there is a huge demand from mac users.. i think they will make it for os x too

• GreenJusticeGreenJustice Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by skeaser

I'm buying a Mac because I'm using it in college to do gaming, and school works.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by GreenJustice

I'm buying a Mac because I'm using it in college to do gaming, and school works.

It probably won't be for os X but try bootcamp, I know several people who use macbooks for gaming and bootcamp works for them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

The Wine community has had a lot of luck making GW1 work under Mac OSX, and I have no doubt that they will do the same with GW2.

I wouldn't hold my breath for native Mac OS development, but one never knows!

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Eww... Don't buy a Mac for school or gaming..  They are overpriced for outdated hardware with little to no customization options..  Buy a PC you will save money and get a better rig.

• OnetoOneto Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by WardTheGreat

Eww... Don't buy a Mac for school or gaming..  They are overpriced for outdated hardware with little to no customization options..  Buy a PC you will save money and get a better rig.

outdated?

Last time I checked the current mac refreshes are using current gen intel cpus

• CeberationCeberation Member Posts: 21

Mac owner here.

Everyone knows Macs are not for gaming.

Macs have one real purpose and that is multimedia/video editing. (My reason for owning)

Thing with the Mac, if you are just using it for school and gaming, do yourself a favor and buy a PC. PCs are cheaper and unless you NEED a Mac it isnt worth buying.

On Topic: being that GW1 wasnt on Mac, I cannot see GW2 being Mac compitable, at least not at launch.

Originally posted by Oneto

Originally posted by WardTheGreat

outdated?

Last time I checked the current mac refreshes are using current gen intel cpus

What I mean is pricepoint for outdated hardware.   Look at how much a MacBook costs and the hardware you are getting in it, even with the  most expensive MacBook Pro you are getting an AMD 6750 mobile GPU, which even though it isn't outdated it is not topline for gaming nor the price they are charging you.  For real, $2,499 dollars for that junk?!  Also, it wasn't till recently that their MacPro upgraded from an Nvidia GT 240, to the now aged AMD 5770 at a $3,000 base price point.  That's Outdated..

OP, if you want a decent laptop I would recommend getting an Asus.  How much money were you looking to spend?

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

Best reason to buy a mac book is for the stores with the futuroristic vibe.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

If you install Windows on a Mac, the it is a PC, in the same sense that a laptop you buy from Dell, HP, Acer, Asus, or MSI is a PC.

It probably depends some on exactly what MacBook you get.   My understanding is that Wine has to use OpenGL to render the game, and tries to convert DirectX API commands to their OpenGL equivalent.  The problem with this is that OpenGL on Intel integrated graphics is an unmitigated disaster, and sometimes won't run at all.  That could easily make Wine flatly not run if you're using the latest 13" MacBook Pro.

The 15" and 17" MacBook Pros have discrete AMD video cards, so those should be able to run Guild Wars 2 just fine, though the Radeon HD 6490M is a low end card that isn't really meant for gaming.  There have been complaints of bugs in switchable graphics that prevent the discrete card for kicking in which it should for OpenGL applications.  If it stops the discrete card from taking over when using Wine, then that could easily kill Wine functionality entirely.  I don't know if that would be the case.

As for gaming performance, it depends on what graphics you're planning on using.  Intel HD 3000 graphics are Intel integrated graphics, and hence a complete disaster for gaming.  Even in Windows, they can't display games properly at minimum graphical settings, but have to take shortcuts beyond that.  The Radeon HD 6490M graphics is better, but still trails behind the Llano Radeon HD 6620G integrated graphics that you could get in a $735 laptop from HP.  The Radeon HD 6750M discrete card is basically a budget gaming card, so that should run games just fine at moderate settings.  But that's $2199 and up to get that in a MacBook Pro, and it brings all of the heat and power drawbacks of discrete gaming cards, unlike Llano integrated graphics.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I played GW on my Macbook, but even with Core2Duo it still isnt made for gaming. It slow and become so hot, you need additional cooler or it will blow.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Don't buy a laptop for gaming, it's overpriced anyway, Mac or PC.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Guild Wars 1 runs smoothly at max settings on a Zacate E-350 based netbook.  That's low enough power that in a nettop form factor, you can safely make the whole thing passively cooled and dead silent.  If Guild Wars 1 is causing your system to overheat, then something is seriously wrong.  Maybe you've got a dead fan, or a heatsink clogged with dust.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Why don't you buy a PC from me? I'll add 15% to the price and draw you an apple on the side of it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Quirhid

Why don't you buy a PC from me? I'll add 15% to the price and draw you an apple on the side of it.

: )

Nice one.

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

My PC Specs
    i7 2600k ( overclocked to 4.9ghz :D - Unstable at 5.1 :( )
    Nvidia 570
    1 TB hard drive
    8 Gigs of Ram
    New PC Case with 6 Big Ass Fans in it
    New Blu-ray Burner
    1000W PSU
    Cost:$1,231.20
    If I include the price of the 2 21" monitors that I just reused. It would cost at least 1,400+.

So the Mac that I can even try to get comparative specs with costs over $1000 dollars more and the worst thing about it the GPU (a damn Radeon 6970M <-----M!!! A LAPTOP GPU!) are still nowhere near the speed of my 570. I'm also not even talking about the Mac Pro. I truly don't know who would by those overpriced things. Yet, people do.

I wish someone could tell me what exactly can a Mac do better then a PC at this point. I still have not seen anything to warrant the extra cost besides that it is a named brand and people equate price with quality which means nothing with the mac since the main hardware is somewhat identical to its PC counterparts.

BOOYAKA!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by Ceberation

Mac owner here.

Everyone knows Macs are not for gaming.

Macs have one real purpose and that is multimedia/video editing. (My reason for owning)

Thing with the Mac, if you are just using it for school and gaming, do yourself a favor and buy a PC. PCs are cheaper and unless you NEED a Mac it isnt worth buying.

On Topic: being that GW1 wasnt on Mac, I cannot see GW2 being Mac compitable, at least not at launch.

pretty much this.

I own a mac for composing and a pc for games.

I've always had less issues with my macs over my pc's so I still continue to use them for my artistic work. But for games I indulge in good pc components.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MalevianMalevian Member Posts: 48

The reality is that if you pay the same amount for a PC laptop it would have greater hardware specs unless you are foolish enough to buy from Alienware or some other such company that forces n00b consumers to believe they can produce a superior product.  The reality is that in this era anyone can build a computer if you can read.  There are tutorials all over the internet to walk you through the builds.  If you were to do your research you could easily do it yourself and save yourself the labor costs involved.

Mac's, on the other hand, are used specifically by some colleges for their graphic related studies.  The smarter institutions have been getting away from this standard due to the sheer cost and the impact it has on the students.  

One of the major issues I have with a Mac is its interface.  I prefer things laid out before me as opposed to having to dig.  Configuring the e-mail client is a sheer nightmare.  Especially when you have to edit a pre-existing SMTP server.  Thank god for Chasms.com or I would have lost my mind.  

This could be just because of my preference for the PC and its scaleability.  Go try to upgrade your Mac to run that new application and let me know how that goes for you.  If for some reason I needed to upgrade my hardware it would be tremendously cost effective.  All you need is a solid base to build on to be effective for 4-6 years with a PC.  

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

This.

• preticepretice Member Posts: 28

My macbook is bascially still brand new condition and i've had it for about 4 years now whereas my friends with normal PC laptops have a battery life of about 2hours.

Using this macbook for school is perfect because i can sit in a days worht of lextures and still have enough battery power to go home and jerk off, and even leave it on afterwards for a few hours and not have to worry about its battery life.

Also, I have no problems anywhere else on this camel machine. Like I said, it is working as if it is brand new.

Thats why I buy my macbook.

If you bought a macbook for gaming you are a dumbass and should have done the smallest bit of research before thinking about your purchase.

• JenksFTWJenksFTW Member Posts: 72

I use macs for the computer animation industry, which OpenGL is better for than anything DirectX has put out (for rendering). Most people who complain about Macs have never used one, and know nothing about what their capabilities are for. Or that if you open up a Mac Pro it is the cleanest design I have ever seen in a computer, preventing over heating, or any need for a cooling system that an 8 core self built PC would need due to the lack of air flow.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien

• JenksFTWJenksFTW Member Posts: 72

Inside a gaming Rig

Inside a Mac

Oh by the way, to the guy above me, parts for a mac are just as cheap to replace if you look for them outside the vendor, like macmall.com, or even Kingston now makes mac ram, so learn to research before posting something so ridiculous.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. - J.R.R. Tolkien