Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It is time to fight back and save what we love!

Comments

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Lidane

Originally posted by VikingGamer

The important thing here is to point out that the purchased clients are being made useless by SOE's decision to shutdown their servers. If they no longer wish to run the servers that is their choice but it is not quite so clear that they can make the decision to purposely break software that they have permanently sold.

Nonsense. Software companies stop supporting their products all the time. This is no different. Microsoft no longer supports DOS, or anything before Windows XP.  People permanently bought that software, and Microsoft doesn't support it. Should they be required to? You're arguing they should.

SOE and LA mutually chose to stop supporting SWG. It's going to close. Welcome to the world of a canceled and closed MMOs. I'm sure there are Asheron's Call 2 and Shadowbane players who know how you feel.

Yup! Good examples Also add in Tabula Rasa, Chronicles of Spellborn and MxO (another SOE game).

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by spookydom

Originally posted by Tardcore

Originally posted by redpet241

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money. If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard and must spring to action in the hope of rescueing something we love. We have a few months to rally enough support for this boycott so spread the word quickly.

Redpet241.

The steam group is Save SWG boycott SWTOR

All I can do is cheer those of your mindset on in your boycotting of SWTOR. Please please PLEASE stick to your guns and do not buy that game when it comes out. Not that it ever will mind you as SWTOR is doomed to never see the light of day.

I thought you where coming round to the idear that it may not be vapourware after all? :D

"I am but mad north-north-west... When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw."

I don't know about you mate but it's times like these I hide my scuppers and bury my steal.  Look man, I'm juist saying thats what I would do. Also, mirror universe Tardcore....I do not think the world is ready to deal with that......I just don't think it is.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468

It is foolishness to even contemplate this. Why would Lucas Arts even let a long time unpopular mmo like SWG continue running if it may risk taking some players away from TOR? This new project is what will make Lucas Arts the money, not SWG. Any of you who believe they care about what the minority (you SWG lovers) thinks are naive, these companies are in it for the money, to impress the majority, and the majority want to see this game dead and want to look to the future.

• motersmoters Member UncommonPosts: 73

posting here in this forum is pointless most here hate swg now due to bad changes.

• apollobsg75apollobsg75 Member Posts: 66

I have started a steam based group with the intent of boycotting SWTOR because it is obvious that the reason SWG is being shut down is to divert players into that game to make more money. If sony and Lucas arts will not listen to petitions then we as dedicated players of SWG must not allow our voices to be heard and must spring to action in the hope of rescueing something we love. We have a few months to rally enough support for this boycott so spread the word quickly.

Redpet241.

I do not think that both of you Sci Fi Galaxies with Star Wars skins players boycotting TOR will have much of an effect.

• motersmoters Member UncommonPosts: 73

At the same time LA lies to make money any swg player will tell you that cu was LA approved so was nge so thank LA when you hate swg.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, I like that you want to "do something" over whining and complaining but I don't see your efforts bearing any fruit.

The people who want to play SWToR are going to play it. You getting all the SWToR hating players not to play isn't going to do much because they probably wouldn't have played anyways.

You might convince some fence sitters but I really don't see that as being a huge group of people.

If anything, you should be doing the opposite (sort of). You should be showing Lucas Arts and Sony that there are a huge amount of players who want to play SWG precisely because it's a different type of star wars game.

Might not really work but it would be more productive than getting players who hate the game to just continue to hate the game.

That makes more sense, yes.

Besides, SWG have been dying since the day SOE & LA decided to revamp the game. Once that was done there really were no other way this would end. It just don't have the players to justify keeping it running, anyone but SOE would have closed it down years ago. Just look on Tabula Rasa, it had plenty more subs.

Time to get over this, it aways sucks when a game you like gets badly revamped or cancelled but boycotting other games because of that just doesn't make sense. 

The alternative would be to actually get a load of new players into the game to show LA it is worth keeping, but that is really hard since few MMO players want to invest time in something that will be cancelled.

• GuileplayerGuileplayer Member Posts: 418

SWG is dead....and there is nothing you can do to save it. Let it go and move on. The game was kept alive with life support the last couple of years. Blame EA, Bioware. or Lucas Arts as much as you like but its not their fault that this game is dead. Its SoEs fault. They failed to give what the community wanted so they stopped supporting the game. Do you honestly think even if SWG had 300k Subs LA would have cancelled it? no. If theres moeny to be made then why would they abandon it? Nothing can save this sinking ship.Abandon ship before you drown.

Currently Playing: SSFIV AE, SFxTekken, SWTOR, WoW. Waiting for: GW2, Resident Evil 6.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I'm a little sad SWG is shutting down but its days have been numbered for quite awhile now and I'm looking forward to SWTOR.

Everytime I resub to SWG, I'm immediately reminded why I left. It's an outdated game lacking content, polish, population and more.

R.I.P. SWG.

Also, I just have to LOL at people thinking TOR is vaporware. What in the world brought you to that conclusion? The established developers making the game? LOL.

• varnlestoffvarnlestoff Member Posts: 26

SWG's days are long, long behind it. Why try to save a game that's been dead to most for half a decade just now that it's finally closing down. Besides, this was an executive decision based around a contract. It's set in stone pretty much so no type of petition can save SWG and none should because it's time that it dies once and for all.

To pay for play, or pay not for play, that is the question.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by Wicoa

You are massively overestimating the numbers of swg and therefore those that will have the effect you desire.  The main players of Swtor will come from wow, mmorpg fans, star wars fans and bioware fans.  This group and what you are trying to do is about as useful as putting a bucket on your head saying "Im not a part of this world".  Have you seen the guild forum on swtor official boards? Its swarming like a bee convention high on honey.

I am sympathetic that your game is being shut down, you need to realise though that because SWG isn't a massive success currently with healthy subscribers and turning decent profit numbers its a major major reason for termination.  Is that SOE's fault? I certainly haven't seen much marketing over the years.

SOE didnt have the foresight to sign a longer contract for rights to the IP.

Note: Im not even sure I will buy swtor myself, I will wait to see if the game is good and fleshed out at launch.

It is not just SWG fans that will joiin in the Boycott, but people from other games planning on playing SWTOR too . The obvious shutdown for SWG to make way for SWTOR, is now starting to make SWTOR fans think about what they may be getting into.

LA are no longer letting 3rd party developers deal with their games, if SWTOR flops then I doubt they will do a NGE or whatever to try and boost sales, they will just shut it down within the 2 years

LA seem to have some misguided visions of population, and want to be the best, as SWG seemed to still be quite populated to me across 26 servers when they did the CU and NGE

After 8 years of SWG and shelling out over $1440 for each account, now got nothing to show for it, execpt fun times of playing it, but with KOTOR only paid about $50 and still have memories of playing it, but can still play it again today.

SWTOR will be in the same boat one day - shut down, and I bet before WOW is too

I am sure that SOE and LA could easily keep both games going for a bit longer, and if they did then there would be zero reason to boycott SWTOR etc and LA would get more money at the start. If they don't get their 2 million at start what will they do? Another NGE or shut down the game?

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

The time to fight and save it would have been when the NGE was rolled out.

• nerrollusnerrollus Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 214

Just let SWG die in peace ...

That game has been a horrible nightmare since the 1st CU. Let it go so it can be remembered fondly in our memories.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Originally posted by superniceguy

You are massively overestimating the numbers of swg and therefore those that will have the effect you desire.  The main players of Swtor will come from wow, mmorpg fans, star wars fans and bioware fans.  This group and what you are trying to do is about as useful as putting a bucket on your head saying "Im not a part of this world".  Have you seen the guild forum on swtor official boards? Its swarming like a bee convention high on honey.

I am sympathetic that your game is being shut down, you need to realise though that because SWG isn't a massive success currently with healthy subscribers and turning decent profit numbers its a major major reason for termination.  Is that SOE's fault? I certainly haven't seen much marketing over the years.

Note: Im not even sure I will buy swtor myself, I will wait to see if the game is good and fleshed out at launch.

It is not just SWG fans that will joiin in the Boycott, but people from other games planning on playing SWTOR too . The obvious shutdown for SWG to make way for SWTOR, is now starting to make SWTOR fans think about what they may be getting into.

Other games players don't give a crap about SWG. It's a running joke in the industry and tbh, whats left of it's players are rapidly being seen in the same light.

LA are no longer letting 3rd party developers deal with their games, if SWTOR flops then I doubt they will do a NGE or whatever to try and boost sales, they will just shut it down within the 2 years

So? Bad/failed games should be shut down/killed off. I'm not surprised you can't see that given you seem to be under the impression that SWG has some God given right to continue forever.

LA seem to have some misguided visions of population, and want to be the best, as SWG seemed to still be quite populated to me across 26 servers when they did the CU and NGE

Says misguided visions of population and then says SWG is quite populated. Lol wut? The games population was stabe, at about 5 players....

After 8 years of SWG and shelling out over $1440 for each account, now got nothing to show for it, execpt fun times of playing it, but with KOTOR only paid about $50 and still have memories of playing it, but can still play it again today.

It's a subscription based mmo. I am sorry you think paying for it entitles you to have 'something to show for it' over and above just playing it. It doesn't btw. Kotor is an offline, non subscription based game, the comparison is pointless.

So? How in the hell does that have any influence whatsoever upon whether or not SWG should shut down?

I am sure that SOE and LA could easily keep both games going for a bit longer, and if they did then there would be zero reason to boycott SWTOR etc and LA would get more money at the start. If they don't get their 2 million at start what will they do? Another NGE or shut down the game?

A bit longer? So they give you another year and then decide to close it and you wont just complain then? Yeah right. You seem overly concerned with whether Tor will fail or not. If it does it does and it will deserve to close. Much like swg should have yonks ago.

SWG players think they can meaningfully boycott a game aiming at millions of subs when they can't even scrape together enough people to warrant keeping their own game alive. Oh lawd.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Other games players don't give a crap about SWG. It's a running joke in the industry and tbh, whats left of it's players are rapidly being seen in the same light.

So? Bad/failed games should be shut down/killed off. I'm not surprised you can't see that given you seem to be under the impression that SWG has some God given right to continue forever.

Says misguided visions of population and then says SWG is quite populated. Lol wut? The games population was stabe, at about 5 players....

It's a subscription based mmo. I am sorry you think paying for it entitles you to have 'something to show for it' over and above just playing it. It doesn't btw. Kotor is an offline, non subscription based game, the comparison is pointless.

So? How in the hell does that have any influence whatsoever upon whether or not SWG should shut down?

A bit longer? So they give you another year and then decide to close it and you wont just complain then? Yeah right. You seem overly concerned with whether Tor will fail or not. If it does it does and it will deserve to close. Much like swg should have yonks ago.

SWG players think they can meaningfully boycott a game aiming at millions of subs when they can't even scrape together enough people to warrant keeping their own game alive. Oh lawd.

Other playeres may not care about SWG, but they care about their own money and sanity.

I hate WOW, but now I would recommend people just play that or stick with it - It will still be here in 100 years, I can not say the same about SWTOR in a year or two, with their licence nonsense

If SWTOR was being developed by LA then it may be here in 100 years

If they shut down SWG next year, then for LAs sake it would be ytoo late for people to boycott SWTOR as probably would have already bought and subbed to it for a year, and the fact they said both MMOs would co-exist they would have fufilled that promise, and there would be little to complain about

• AngervienAngervien Member UncommonPosts: 24

I though we did boycott SWG, about 7 years ago.

Uninstalled and never looked back.

My part is complete, I feel very helpful now.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

How many signatures has the petition gathered so far.  That should answer your question about the chances of SWG living beyond Dec 15th.

Lucas Arts isn't letting 3rd parties develop their games anymore?  Didn't they just give SOE another license to make an online Star Wars game last year?  Where do you get your information?

Yes all mmos will eventually shut down.  It really is a simple concept to grasp, but you seem desperate to find some other reason for why SWG is shutting down to which there isn't.  The game no longer has a healthy PAYING population.  Lucas Arts cannot force SOE to run the game if SOE doesn't want to.

Have you noticed that almost no one is surprised that SWG is closing?  That almost everyone feels that it has stayed alive far longer than they had expected or if another company was running it? 

As for your boycott, just stop.  Everyone crying about SWG closing down now will be in the front line to buy SWTOR and we all know it.  If people can invest thousands of dollars for a busted game with a developer that treats them like shit just to play a game with Star Wars IP, then it is a pretty safe bet they will be lining up buy SWTOR... and it woulnd't take the closure of SWG to make that happen.

Just face it, both SOE and Lucas Arts are smart enough to realize that SWG was a dead product.  They "could" keep running it forever, but to what point?  The game is an embarrassment to each company and they have been more than generous to run it for so long for the few people that still enjoy it.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Lidane

The important thing here is to point out that the purchased clients are being made useless by SOE's decision to shutdown their servers. If they no longer wish to run the servers that is their choice but it is not quite so clear that they can make the decision to purposely break software that they have permanently sold.

Nonsense. Software companies stop supporting their products all the time. This is no different. Microsoft no longer supports DOS, or anything before Windows XP.  People permanently bought that software, and Microsoft doesn't support it. Should they be required to? You're arguing they should.

SOE and LA mutually chose to stop supporting SWG. It's going to close. Welcome to the world of a canceled and closed MMOs. I'm sure there are Asheron's Call 2 and Shadowbane players who know how you feel.

Not supporting it and making it fundamentally unusable are two different things. Nothing keeps you from continuing to run a dos machine if you want. You can't put any new software on it but hey, if lotus 123 is your thing then have fun.

And just because others have also shutdown doesn't create a precedent, it just means nobody has ever bothered to press the point. I am not saying it will work, I am just saying that it has a better chance of working than pretitioning them to keep the servers running at a loss. It is not even a function of if the suit can succeed so much as can you create enough of a nuisance for SOE that they would be willing to open source the server code and throw some cash at the lawyer just to make him go away. 

All die, so die well.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

A) you did not buy the software...you bought a license...if you bought the software you would have access to the source.

B) licenses are not always renewing...your monthly fee renews your license for the next period of time....after that period of time the company is under no obligation to renew your license.

• CaskioCaskio Member UncommonPosts: 339

Originally posted by Ausare

A) you did not buy the software...you bought a license...if you bought the software you would have access to the source.

B) licenses are not always renewing...your monthly fee renews your license for the next period of time....after that period of time the company is under no obligation to renew your license.

^^ THIS

I was going to same the same thing in this thread.

"If you're going to act like a noob, I'll treat you like one." -Caskio

Adventurers wear fancy pants!!!

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Not supporting it and making it fundamentally unusable are two different things. 

Tell that to every online gaming company that has ever stopped supporting their games or providing servers for them.

There is no difference at all. None. 

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

Redpet241.

LET.      IT.      DIE.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

SWG is the best MMO I've tried.  It's too bad most people won't experience it because they never gave the recent SWG a try.  I'd be amazed if TOR is anywhere close to as good.

• TrubadurenTrubaduren Member Posts: 575

I think Bioware can go with out thoes 5 player.

Starwars Galaxies, An Empier Diveded, That's what it says on my box anyway.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by wrekognize
    SWG is the best MMO I've tried.  It's too bad most people won't experience it because they never gave the recent SWG a try.  I'd be amazed if TOR is anywhere close to as good.

It will be good if you loved KOTOR and keep KOTOR in mind, it won't be if you expect another SWG, simple as that.