Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today Show Thinks Adult Gamers Are Weird

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

by Jeff Marchiafava on July 11, 2011 at 04:30 PM

Recently the hosts of The Today Show took a break from their regular talk show schedule to laugh at the thought of adult gamers.

"Do you think it's okay for men to play video games in their 30s and over?" Asked one of the announcers, unable to get through the question without breaking into laughter.

Kathie Lee Gifford didn't wait to weigh in with her opinion, proudly proclaiming "No, that's weird. Xbox."

"The answer is no," added some guy named Donny Deutsch, who Wikipedia says is a "TV personality." "When you're in your thirties, there should be something more on your mind or attention than video games."

After agreeing that it's okay for parents to play games with their kids, Hoda Kotb provided the last glimmering insight, stating that the question is only referring to "those weird ones in the basement."

We could, as GameSetWatch pointed out, respond to their criticisms with the fact that the average gamer is now 37, that women make up 42% of gamers, and that a whopping 29% of gamers are now over the age of 50 - which by the Today Show's standards would make them really weird. But I'm alright with this trio's unduly harsh judgment, because honestly, I can't think of anything weirder than listening to what a bunch morning talk show hosts blab about in-between commercials for reality shows and soap operas.

[via GameSetWatch]

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

This post was the highlight of my day.  

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

If I had a job at one of those ridiculous tv shows I wouldn't laugh about other peoples hobbies. Funny. :)

• JonsusJonsus Member UncommonPosts: 175

This kind of thing shows how out of touch some people are from reality.

I wish society and the media in general would just adopt a more "Live and let live" attitude with regards to what people do on their own time in the privacy of their own homes. Also, the level of condescension coming from these talking heads is absolutely unreal.

Pretty disgusting all in all.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

No adults shouldn't play video games... they should watch TV instead DUH! Thats way better! It's pretty immature to not give them ratings!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• MertzaSkertzMertzaSkertz Member UncommonPosts: 161

Some people are just retarded, I just learn to ignore them

• Short-StrawShort-Straw Member Posts: 422

Consider the source. Studies have shown that viewing TV requires a lower brain activity than sleeping. In addition, I don't give a crap what Cathy Lee Giffords thinks.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Not even nearly as weird as thinking either of these three people have got more brain cells than your average sheep.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Yeah, those TV people are totally off base.

It's not adult gamers who are weird... it's those freaky forum posters, always... posting on their forums.

I mean, really.  Forums are for kids. :(

• pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289

These "hosts" are not representative of society and their social values in any way.  They are privaledged, extremely rich who get paid to read what writers, then editors produce for them.  Their personal opionions are shallow, biased, and un-informed.  Granted gaming isn't a very productive past-time, but I find it more enjoyable than watching TV shows with 2 condescending white B***hes talking about make-up, ponies and stickers.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

That's funny. Another reason not to watch TV.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

I just called a buddy and had him check it out. He is one of these "wierd" over 30 guys the only diffrence is he has his own place instead of living in the basement. His comment was the best. He said "Why would anyone ever watch a show where the intelligence level is less than that of a valley girl and the hosts have the looks of a bullfrog."

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

I turn 30 in a month.  I can't wait for all this weirdness.  I think I will become a freak of nature overnight.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by pmcubed

... but I find it more enjoyable than watching TV shows with 2 condescending white B***hes talking about make-up, ponies and stickers.

Some ponies are cool to talk about: Dark Ponies.

• godzilr1godzilr1 Member UncommonPosts: 550

Originally posted by xenogias

I just called a buddy and had him check it out. He is one of these "wierd" over 30 guys the only diffrence is he has his own place instead of living in the basement. His comment was the best. He said "Why would anyone ever watch a show where the intelligence level is less than that of a valley girl and the hosts have the looks of a bullfrog."

Completely agreed.  i find it weird that these chicks probably spend a ton of money on services and products to look good.....but still don't.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Is there really nothing better for TV media then this? /facepalm. They say that now; but wait till the camera shuts off, then they pull out their iPhones to play angry birds. Hippocrites. 

People play games, the entire extend of their life. The actual debate would be someone over 80 playing games, that makes more sense. 30? really? It's not even about xbox, nearly everyone owns a smartphone, and 9 times out of 10, they have one game on that smart phone, since angry birds is the most popular, that's my refrence. Even consoles, why would playing a serious game be considered weird or freaky in society? Really? Good think I don't give a crap what a horrible dying media source thinks. 

Take it all in guys, pretty soon YouTube and blogs will be the journalist's best friend.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• HEYuSHOOSHHEYuSHOOSH Member UncommonPosts: 107

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbaYiWg3bJc

Joel Mchale is the man! Go Community!

Edit: Sync is off.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Society is segmented into so many different subcultures, and can be surprising how little communication goes on between them.   It is easy for something to seem wierd to one group or another, even if it's statistically normal, when looking at society overall.

I mean you look at those people, and yeah, I doubt they're the sort to play video games, or even socialize with anyone who does.

Most people don't even seem to know what "normal" really means, anyhow...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

That's okay.

I think Today Show viewers are also wierd.

• MoppheadMopphead Member Posts: 29

haha wow I really like this post. Suprisingly I think gaming has become so much more commercialized now a days. You have a whole generation of gamers that are growing into a different age and games have also become more social.

It also helps bridge the gap between old and young people more the way I see it.

LOL btw who even watches the today show?

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

Totally linked that web page to a broadcast on Facebook.

Thanks OP!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

What's weird is being a fat shrew that sits on a couch all day while eating funyuns, and who only watches the Today Show in order to have an opinion ready by the time that Lupe finishes dinner.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I find her face weird..

But who cares what some daytime talkshow hosts have to say, they're not on primetime for a reason.

We could say the same about their TV show actually, anyone able to stay home everyday of the week and actually willing to watch such nonsense is weird :D~

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I'm weird and over 30..........Not sure if that has anything to do with video games though.

• OilcanharryOilcanharry Member Posts: 73

A better topic would be whether it is "weird" that Gifford's husband is older than her grandfather probably. What do these two oddballs know about anything normal. They have been out of touch with real people so long they think it is normal to have somebody hired to watch your kids,clean your house,drive your car,cook your food,lay out the clothes you wear,apply make up,shop..... I remember when Gifford left Regis Philbin because it confined so many of her talents like singing and acting. About a month later I saw her album in the four dollar bin at Walmart and she had such an abbrasive personality she couldn't find work for years. These two grinning idiots wouldn't know what is normal any more than Frank Gifford can make it to the bathroom by himself...on time.

Man Of Constant Sorrow

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by rygard49

Originally posted by pmcubed

... but I find it more enjoyable than watching TV shows with 2 condescending white B***hes talking about make-up, ponies and stickers.

Some ponies are cool to talk about: Dark Ponies.

Yes but Dark Ponies, or the even rarer, Darth Ponies, are a completely different breed indeed.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "