Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you return to a game that after 2 years wiped all characters to "correct past mistakes"?

-Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Any MMO could be considered (World of Warcraft) for this poll but its more focused on the ones with big "new to endgame" gaps. 

Lets say you played a game that had veteran players own your face or said game made you fell like you could not compete unless you had played it years.  Lets say you liked the idea of said game but that veteren curve and possibly learning curve was harsh.

Would you return to said game if the developers did the below:

Have worked over the past year to made a "2.0" of the game.  They call it a "new game" as they wanted to build something better.  They say they have learned from their past mistakes and said people who have bought the game do not have to buy it again for this "re-boot".

Two current game examples I can think of is EVE Online and Darkfall Online.  I am sure there are many other games that are like this (Aion?).

Keep in mind that a wipe would enrage the current players who spent multiple years maxing out their current characters.  Not only that any sane developer would be making it easier for new players to "catch up" which would have already enraged them.  As the saying goes the people with the loudest voice are the pissed off minority.  We trust developers of these persistant worlds wont lose our charactors, so wiping could be a trust issue.  What do you think?

Edit: above circumstances

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Comments

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

No Sir.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

Originally posted by Murashu

No Sir.

So it would cause a trust issue with the developer?  Thats the aim of this poll, how many people would feel the developer is not trust worthy (ie: game wiped every 2 years instead of lasting forever).

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• meleemadnessmeleemadness Member Posts: 592

That is very similiar to what SOE did with SWG.  One day I logged in and my character was destroyed....a melee stacker.  I had to pick between other gimp classes that were lower level than what I was.  I just uninstalled the game and moved on.

Originally posted by meleemadness

That is very similiar to what SOE did with SWG.  One day I logged in and my character was destroyed....a melee stacker.  I had to pick between other gimp classes that were lower level than what I was.  I just uninstalled the game and moved on.

Was there people on the opposite end of this?  Left the game becasue of what it was but came back when it was changed to check it out?  I know SWG's situation, it effected vet's.  What about new players or returning players?

• GwingGwing Member Posts: 85

har har u r reffering to Darkfall! i say go for it! if u leave when it happens then obviously you aint no dedicated player and shoudnt play it to begin with.

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

Yes, if there is some changes for the game to be better.  Like Asheron's Call... if they dont allow decal at all...

Kain_Dale

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Reset everyone's character in Eve online and CCP might as well just file bankruptcy...they would be done, and so would Eve. 

Do it like Fippy Darkpaw on EQ1 and it will be fine (meaning don't erase the old server, just make a new one for those who choose to utilize it). 

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Originally posted by Murashu

No Sir.

So it would cause a trust issue with the developer?  Thats the aim of this poll, how many people would feel the developer is not trust worthy (ie: game wiped every 2 years instead of lasting forever).

It depends on whether or not the devs told us up front that they planned to wipe all the servers or they just posted one day that they were going to wipe the servers. If I knew when I first started playing, I wouldn't have an issue with it, but if I invested two years of time and money into a game just to have someone erase my character without my knowledge or consent then I would be highly upset.

SOE thought they would replace me and all the other players they pissed off when they deleted our characters and you see how well that worked out for them.

• CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

In a persistent world such as EVE, Darkfall, and MO (and others alike) it makes sense to introduce a wipe, when what they call a "new game" comes out. The problem with Darkfall is the people who have spent years upon years on the game have the ability to make the life of a new player hell, and ultimately drive them away.

You see this all the time in the three games. EVE I have never really engaged in but I have heard countless stories about the severe tactics people take to ruin others experiences. Mortal Online, you're forced to join up in a big guild or be bullied around and have no chance as a new player, other than staying blue and running into a guarded city and yelling for the guards... it just continues on for all topics like this.

Either way as it goes, I do not play Darkfall and with it's terrible graphics and animations I have no intent too until it's fixed. I do hope they wipe for players who intend to join up and have a fighting chance. My thing has and always will be if you're so a called veteran you will have no trouble getting back to what you were with ease.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Err ... I wouldnt even bother to start playing, let alone return.

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

I would not return, because if they did it once, they could do it again, im the kinda player that enjoys building something as big and strong as possible, so character wipes are my No.1 enemy.

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

They want to relaunch the game.They want players who quit to see ok, everyones on the same level, the game is "relaunched", darkfall 2, the game is fixed, yay! and come back and enjoy it, and all the new features as a fresh start in a fresh game.

They probably don't want players to see relaunch, come to the game, and say..."ok,everyone has maxed characters,all houses gone, all keeps gone, me and my clan have 20k saved up...your clan has 20million? Oh, whats that you say, you also have an infinite amount of resources and gear and you war decced our clan for not selling the 5 rare ores we have....relaunch wat?"

When runescape 2 launched, runescape classic players probably complained a little too. But now it has like ...1000's of times the player base? Not the same situation, but my point is, av is trying to sell the idea that this is darkfall 2.

tl;dr: Stop qqin. You don't know what will be different yet, and av doesn't even know if they are wiping yet. But a fresh start would be an incentive for people to retry the game...which is probably the whole purpose of this relaunch.

edit: Oh, and you forgot to mention that most of the people in the game are some result of exploits, bugs, macroing, and other breaches of the tos.

Originally posted by Jimmac

Reset everyone's character in Eve online and CCP might as well just file bankruptcy...they would be done, and so would Eve. 

Do it like Fippy Darkpaw on EQ1 and it will be fine (meaning don't erase the old server, just make a new one for those who choose to utilize it). 

However on one hand a new player would not be able to catch up to another player that has billions of ISK to throw away.   How many people would try EVE if a wipe happened and they changed things around?

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

A Tale in the Desert actually does wipe everything every two years or so.

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by -Zeno-

Originally posted by Jimmac

However on one hand a new player would not be able to catch up to another player that has billions of ISK to throw away.   How many people would try EVE if a wipe happened and they changed things around?

A new player can catch up to quite a few billions in his first year in Eve.

If a game requires a whipe because else new players really couldn't catch up, it must follow horrible design. In Eve for example, you don't need as many skillpoints or a fat wallet to be part of the world and participate in most activities. That's why a reset isn't needed, because you can still play and succeed. (Even training for a jump freighter only takes a few months - in Eve standards, that's not as long.)

I can only think of one game that I have played that really needed a reset, and that is Wurm Online. Its design is .. ridiculous. The combat system is: High fighting skill beats low fighting skill. And grinding fighting skill to a level where you can compete against someone who started last year takes at least 5 years of grinding now, given you grind 12 hours per day. Yayy. So, after the game mechanics got changed, it is now impossible for a new player to engage in pvp for the next 5 years? Cool. Right. That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I wonder why only 70 people play on the pvp server during peak hours and none of them are noobs..

Wurm is considered fail for a reason anyway. Someone else is always your king and he gets a fighting bonus just for being king that puts him another 3 years ahead of someone who grinds the initial 5 years. And there's nothing you can do against it. He'll be king until he steps back. Which is unlikely considering he's also a GM and a moderator and plays the game for free, owns the biggest deed in game (probably with a discount) and he may be in a romantic relationship to the only dev.. oh Wurm. XD

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

did I miss something? afaik DF 2.0 wont wipe chars...

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

imo it would be dependent on what the 2.0 features are, whether I was playing any thing else at the time.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

I got some serous trust issues with a game company who would do that.  I already kind of had it happen once with the NGE years of hard work tossed out.

So I voted no.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

All they have to do is start a new server with all the new 2.0 stuff.  If enough people stay to make the old ser ver viable they keep it going. . if not they shut it down.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Sagasaint

did I miss something? afaik DF 2.0 wont wipe chars...

From my understanding there is DF 2010 or whatever. . .and then they are working on DF2 possibly where they have changed many thing (likley not everyone having all skills)  how would you transfer those characters?  This is all speculation of course.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• fallonfallonfallonfallon Member Posts: 99

depends on the game..if it was EVE no way ! That game takes a long time to get anywhere.

I never played DF so idk , but if it was WoW i probably would.

you can level a toon to cap in just a couple of weeks. 3 weeks for me , but hey i gotta work sometime.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

I vote yes but only if the game is way better than b4 and still appeals me from its setting. So its with a doubt...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

In a skill based game, with full loot, and clan warfare mechanics I think its ok to wipe the server after major changes.

I see it this way for two reasons.

1. The Devs ganked you and stole all your stuff and skill, get over it. That is what these games are about, dealing with harsh realities.

2. It will create a fairly balanced world for a few months, which was by far the best time in DF.

For a game like Warcraft, it would be a bad thing. But Warcraft can afford just to roll out a new server.

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• Trueforral1Trueforral1 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Yeah, I'd come back, supposing of course I was still interested in the game.

It's a good excuse to experience the game once again with a somewhat altered experience, much like what I'd get if I mod a singleplayer game and start a new game. It's not really biggest deal ever. People get way too invested in their characters in my opinion. Certainly, if you *are* playing a character and that character is suddenly deleted or changed beyond reckoning, that'd be frustrating, but if you had a maxed out character just sitting on the shelf in the game, or a character you haven't even played in weeks, who really cares if it goes missing?

Ultimately all I'd care about is: Did the changes that warranted the reboot make the game better? If not, naturally I wouldn't return, but if they did make the game better it was a worthy sacrifice.

• EverSkellyEverSkelly Member UncommonPosts: 341

I would.

Everyone gets bored with their char in two years. Starting anew would probably tempt alot of players. So yes, if i'd really like a game, i'd be ok with server wipe.