Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 vs. SW:ToR - Which is more clonable?

124»

Comments

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I can think of a game without trinity that is challenging: Magicka.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

more clonable? SWToR by definition, all in all it IS a clone itself. WoW with lightsabers 

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Originally posted by drake201

GW 2 is more clonable. Its bringing nothing new to the mmo genre.

Its combat system is a rip off of DCUO.

Swtor is bringing Voice over,companions and looking to be the best crafting system in a long time.

I sincerely hope you are a troll. Otherwise I fear for your mental health. 

• BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Originally posted by romanator0

Originally posted by BlahTeeb

Dragon Age had no aggro button.

It actually did.

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Threaten

http://dragonage.wikia.com/wiki/Taunt

I stand corrected. Sorry, I didn't use a tank in my team, so I just assumed there was no tanking mechanic. Of course, had DA had an online system, thing would have been a bit different.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

GW2 is much more clonable between the two.  Whilst SWTOR has used more traditional decisions as far as design goes,  the size and scope of SWTOR is something that no other developer would even begin to undertake.    Not to mention that the classes are very star warsy and iconic,  while GW2 is just another fantasy game.

While key systems in both games could easily be cloned, and in some aspects have already been used in other games as well,  if you're talking about creating enough similarities between the two games.... the amount of planets, size of the areas, voice acting, choice systems that cascade down to a hundred hours after you've started,  companion interactions, all of these things in SWTOR aren't just pieced together...  they are very costly.  

IF SWTOR hits it big,  the only time we'll see a SWTOR clone (that would be able to stand next to SWTOR in size and scope) will be when another big name developer releases a game gunning directly for SWTOR.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I am wondering about this as well.

What if -

- SW:TOR becomes an enormous success and drains WoW of at least 50% of it's subscribers, and becomes the new king of the MMORPGs. Will more developers start making high-budget MMORPGs? Will they also go for a traditional approach? Will this cause innovation in the genre to stagnate?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Originally posted by maskedweasel

GW2 is much more clonable between the two.  Whilst SWTOR has used more traditional decisions as far as design goes,  the size and scope of SWTOR is something that no other developer would even begin to undertake.    Not to mention that the classes are very star warsy and iconic,  while GW2 is just another fantasy game.

While key systems in both games could easily be cloned, and in some aspects have already been used in other games as well,  if you're talking about creating enough similarities between the two games.... the amount of planets, size of the areas, voice acting, choice systems that cascade down to a hundred hours after you've started,  companion interactions, all of these things in SWTOR aren't just pieced together...  they are very costly.  

IF SWTOR hits it big,  the only time we'll see a SWTOR clone (that would be able to stand next to SWTOR in size and scope) will be when another big name developer releases a game gunning directly for SWTOR.

I have to disagree with you. First SWTOR is not going to be the biggest thing we have ever seen, especially at launch. The classes are the standard cookie cutter mmo classes with different names, this is the same thing every other MMO does. You have to remember BioWare isn't the only big $$ company out there, Blizz could do this amount of content or more in their sleep and a few other big companies also. Let's not forget, GW2 is not a small pea sized game either.

As far as the more clonable one I do think it's SWTOR, because I see it more in terms of concepts and overall gameplay rather than amount of content like many here are doing, you don't clone the content or the breath of the content you clone the ideas and concepts behind it. The concepts and ideas in SWTOR are the same one's we have already seen in countless MMO;s with a few sprinkles of new things here and there. In that regard SWTOR is much more "clonable", besides its way more risky for a developer to clone GW2 until it proves these new ideas they are introducing work.

Originally posted by Alot

I am wondering about this as well.

What if -

- SW:TOR becomes an enormous success and drains WoW of at least 50% of it's subscribers, and becomes the new king of the MMORPGs. Will more developers start making high-budget MMORPGs? Will they also go for a traditional approach? Will this cause innovation in the genre to stagnate?

If you ask me it probably will :( at the very least the adoption of new ideas will be very limited in new games.

• bepolitebepolite Member Posts: 53

i can reply to arena.net from my  EXpirience. If its the same model as in GW ...you ganna have all china farmers...

you gonna grind for equip with super rare droprate, you gonna have fixed templates for pvp, tons of nerfing to avoid it in the future....shit tons of kids who on purpose behaive like  asshats ,and admins who are biased givin out favours and dont give a flying shit

so GW2 has to be groundbreaking at his own terms.

as for Swotor .....i got so bored waiting for its release ...lost my intrst for that too.

my prediction for both titles is Mediocore

Originally posted by Kuppa

I have to disagree with you. First SWTOR is not going to be the biggest thing we have ever seen, especially at launch. The classes are the standard cookie cutter mmo classes with different names, this is the same thing every other MMO does. You have to remember BioWare isn't the only big $$ company out there, Blizz could do this amount of content or more in their sleep and a few other big companies also. Let's not forget, GW2 is not a small pea sized game either.

As far as the more clonable one I do think it's SWTOR, because I see it more in terms of concepts and overall gameplay rather than amount of content like many here are doing, you don't clone the content or the breath of the content you clone the ideas and concepts behind it. The concepts and ideas in SWTOR are the same one's we have already seen in countless MMO;s with a few sprinkles of new things here and there. In that regard SWTOR is much more "clonable", besides its way more risky for a developer to clone GW2 until it proves these new ideas they are introducing work.

But you see,  the content is a large part of the system they are making.  What people fail to realize about SWTOR is that the QUESTS,  are CONTENT AND GAMEPLAY in SWTOR.  You aren't just clicking accept,  or just running in and doing whatever the quest says.  You are stopping,  interacting,  seeing multiple reactions from other players, or companions.  You're making choices,  and your choices will change not just you, but how others see you.

What isn't clonable is how cascading works.  While in GW2 you have events... these events which shift,  and change... or if frequented enough,  events that are always the same when you pass by them,  none of which you have a choice in,  in SWTOR a large part of the content, both personal and grouped,  will change the outcome in many different ways,  from things like the rewards you see, to the quests you encounter, to the companions you have access to,  and down to the powers you possess and the gear you own.

While GW2 does have a personal story,  I think we'd all be fooling ourselves if we thought that it was even 1/10th the size and scope of what SWTOR will be.   Doing something as simple as killing your master after your 8th hour of playing,  could change something in your 50th hour of playing.  

This takes work, dedication, and its not something that just any developer can do.  How many games out there have story aspects similar to the way BioWare does it?    If theres one thats even close it would be Bethesdas series.  You won't find every small company trying to push a clone out gunning for that kind of investment in time, storyline, content, or result.  

• KelthiusKelthius Member UncommonPosts: 298

"200 hours of gameplay per class" If TOR actually has that much content, GL cloning that.

Edit: I just watched the Dynamic Event Interview for GW:2. Obviously, this will be a very cool feature. However, the way Bioware is talking, that is how every quest will be in TOR. Every choice you make in a quest will affect you in the future. Seems like the difference is that in GW:2  they will be constant, where as in TOR it won't start till you want it to.

The way I see it, they are pretty equal in clonability.

But you see,  the content is a large part of the system they are making.  What people fail to realize about SWTOR is that the QUESTS,  are CONTENT AND GAMEPLAY in SWTOR.  You aren't just clicking accept,  or just running in and doing whatever the quest says.  You are stopping,  interacting,  seeing multiple reactions from other players, or companions.  You're making choices,  and your choices will change not just you, but how others see you.

What isn't clonable is how cascading works.  While in GW2 you have events... these events which shift,  and change... or if frequented enough,  events that are always the same when you pass by them,  none of which you have a choice in,  in SWTOR a large part of the content, both personal and grouped,  will change the outcome in many different ways,  from things like the rewards you see, to the quests you encounter, to the companions you have access to,  and down to the powers you possess and the gear you own.

While GW2 does have a personal story,  I think we'd all be fooling ourselves if we thought that it was even 1/10th the size and scope of what SWTOR will be.   Doing something as simple as killing your master after your 8th hour of playing,  could change something in your 50th hour of playing.  

This takes work, dedication, and its not something that just any developer can do.  How many games out there have story aspects similar to the way BioWare does it?    If theres one thats even close it would be Bethesdas series.  You won't find every small company trying to push a clone out gunning for that kind of investment in time, storyline, content, or result.  

Im sorry but I just can't call content an idea or a concept. It's just that, content. Sure they have their story telling concept via the VO work and that would be cloned, not the amount of work. It seems like you don't understand event chains in GW2 but you do have a say in how they play out. The same happens in the personal story, the fact that it might not be as much content as SWTOR does not make the concept behind it that different, it boils down to choices and how the affect other things.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

There are plenty of other games that have branching storylines which are affected by the player's actions like:

Baldur's Gate, Planescape:  Torment, Fallout 1-3, Neverwinter Nights etc. etc.

It's nice, but it's a feature that has been around in single player for a long time, and it really is a feature meant to be experienced by a single player.  It's really not anything revolutionary to me. 

In order for it to be something exceptional in SWTOR, I think that BW has to somehow "merge" this singleplayer experience with its MMORPG elements to form something greater than the sum of its parts.

I'm not sure how they will do that, but here's hoping!

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• RazephonRazephon Member UncommonPosts: 628

Wow there are some incredibly jaded people on this forum...SWTOR not easily cloneable? LOL!

Sure maybe not in the 'lol content RP story' terms, but certainly in its mechanics and the majority of it.

Guild Wars 2 - Dynamic events are the next evolution of Public Events from Rift/War. Good luck replicating The Shatterer!

Seriously any idiot can see the high quality ooze from Guild Wars 2. 

SWTOR - not so much. It still looks dull and drab and reminds me instantly of WoW. Oooh wow we use lazer guns in the future! So what? same shit different day.

Currently waiting for the MMO industry to put out something good.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Originally posted by Creslin321

There are plenty of other games that have branching storylines which are affected by the player's actions like:

It's nice, but it's a feature that has been around in single player for a long time, and it really is a feature meant to be experienced by a single player.  It's really not anything revolutionary to me. 

In order for it to be something exceptional in SWTOR, I think that BW has to somehow "merge" this singleplayer experience with its MMORPG elements to form something greater than the sum of its parts.

You forgot to list 'Just about every Japanese dating game ever'.

In fact, many Japanese dating games have MORE endings than Bioware games. :<

Let's not start a thread 'How Bioware needs to step up their game to compete with the Japanese dating game market' though.

Originally posted by Creslin321

Well, aside from blackisle which hasn't put out much recently most of those games you mentioned were bethesda or BioWare titles.  

The STORY aspects for your personal story won't have much to do with grouping in terms of the choices you make there.  Once you step out of the quest dialog you'll be back in the open world doing world quests with other players.

The Story aspect for multiplayer happens in the multiplayer quests that are scattered all over the different planets,  and there are plenty of them to take note of.  Here you and your various group mates interact,  and its in this way that you still earn your alignment,  but could also see different paths depending on the choices that people chose and then the actions that they performed along the way.

Other world quests (what were formerly known as heroics) are also littered about,  but have a much less story focus on them.

So to simplify it,  while the story system itself isn't so amazingly different then say, Mass Effect,  when outside your personal story your interactions will be... well... unpredictable unless you're absolutely sure that everyone on your team is of the same mind. The level of choice is just compounded by the different classes.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Clonable? I am not sure I understand the question right. Or the purpose.

Either way, I think both GW2 are going to be quite unique. I think they will both have an impact on MMOs of the future. GW2 with the dynamic events and TOR with the great storytelling/choices will certainly influence MMOs to come, though not in the sense of cloning. The storytelling & choices of TOR will be difficult to replicate because they really take LOT of work. I don't yet know GW2 so well, but given how I imagine it, that feature too looks like it takes lots of work. Look how many years both games are now in development. That take a lot of time, money and experience. You can't just replicate that out of the blue.

However I do think and hope they will have an impact on the future, though that is so far out of my horizon, atm I don't really care. I hope/expect to be very busy playing GW2 and TOR for some time, so right now I could care less what comes after them.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Zeroxin

They've told us that the first criteria for mobs attacking a certain player is proximity (how close the player is to them) the rest of the parameters, I assume, will be things like health amount and armour. Warriors in GW1 didn't have any aggro pulling mechanics either and the game is still considered a lot of fun by several people.

In GW1, the idea was to let the warrior run in first he he gets the enemy's attention and then everyone else follow after. The mobs will obiously split once everyone starts attacking but with effective CC they would be easily dispatched.

So where is the group gameplay in that? Is it based on CC or is it basically run in there and kill everything without needing anyone's help.

The point is you need EVERYONE's help. Everyone has to pitch in in order to be an effective group. DPSers can't just DPS anymore they have to change their weapons when needed to either Control or Support. And people who love Support can't just support anymore, they have to support their team with not just healing but also their damage abilities too especially when people can heal themselves. You should read a skeptics perspective; Part 1 and Part 2.

The guy went to Arenanet's fan day without much anticipation but came out convinced that the game can do what it says on the box.

Good articles

I decided to go with the honest approach and admit that I hadn’t really been following the game very closely. The reply I got from one ArenaNet staff member was “We look forward to converting you.”

Like a commune of religious hippies hidden in the forested mountains of central Washington state. You got to love a company that believes in their product.

NCSoft has made a lot of mistakes and people are right to be weary of them and their products but the one thing they have done consistently right has been to leave Arenanet alone. NCSoft has been so hands-off in fact that they really only act as a publisher to Arenanet. Guild Wars is not an NCSoft product  in the same way that Aion or L2 is. Guild Wars is an Arenanet product.

Lets hope EA is doing the same thing with Bioware.

I am looking forward to both titles.

TOR will be the bigger of the two games in terms of total boxes sold. Compared to WoW it will be bigger and better but not so very different. Burnt out WoW players will transition easily since it will still be an essentially a quest based game but taken to the next level with dialog choices that have a lasting impact on the character.

GW2 is making a bigger shift in terms of overall design. Many more innovations. This is good for those looking for the changes but it will not suit everyone. People who like the changes will love it and those who are overwhelmed by it will hate it. People will react to GW2 more at the extremes. GW2 will make more of an impact on the mmo genre than TOR in the long run but that is not the same thing as being successful or popular. But this assumes that all their innovations work as planned and they have no significant failures.  So far things look good but we wont know for sure until after release. GW2 is taking bigger and more risks. It stands to be seen how that will work out for them.

All die, so die well.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054

I believe Star Wars The Old Republic would be far harder to clone. It is a far larger project overall, even if not as innovative as Guild Wars 2.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

Originally posted by stealthbr

I believe Star Wars The Old Republic would be far harder to clone. It is a far larger project overall, even if not as innovative as Guild Wars 2.

Yeah.. Budgets are harder to clone than design structures.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• NergleNergle Member UncommonPosts: 253

GW 2 is more clonable. Its bringing nothing new to the mmo genre.

Its combat system is a rip off of DCUO.

Swtor is bringing Voice over,companions and looking to be the best crafting system in a long time.

Just remember this when you actually get to play the game and then post again (Not gonna spoil the suprise).