Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Petition to admin's of mmorpg.com

AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

I think the time for a game list cleanup has come. Well, it has past, but still.

There are so many games on the list which are so outdated, some not evne in existance, some moved to diff sites/diff publishers, etc, and some just do NOT belong in alist of MMORPG's(being that they are not rpgs, are fps's, rts, etc types)

That OR a better way to filter them. The list is outdated, and hasn't been revised and / or changed in so long, All I am asking is that you go over the list, check each game for

1:If its a MMORPG, even in the loosest sence of the word,

2: Check if the game's links are working, and

3: Check the 'info' is correct still (Like subscription data, etc)

I hope this isn't too much to ask. Been a long time mmorpg.com visiter and thats one thing that has bugged me since day one, the game list.

Comments

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Totally agree,

When Im between MMOs as I am at the moment I often turn to the game list for some inspiration, but it is infuriatingly inaccurate!!

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Certainly agree with wanting a better filter.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Have to agree with this. The game list needs some serious love. Make it happen mmorpg.com gods :)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Signed. Their list is hardly worth using. Sadly, there are no good lists that I know of elsewhere. 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Our Game List is one of the most important features of our site and we are constantly working to keep it up to date and add new games.

With that said, we recognize that with over 400 games on our list there is a possibility that something may be out of date. If you have any specific examples please share them so that I may forward the info along to the right people.

• AtmaDarkwolfAtmaDarkwolf Member UncommonPosts: 353

So instead of having one of your employees check each, your gonna get us to?

Theres plenty on there that don't even exist or have been moved to new publishers, all it takes is for you (or if your too 'busy/lazy) have one of your subordanites do it.

Sorry but 'id rather not spend my day clicking each one, listing which, pointing out errors, etc etc when its much eaiser on your end to do the same thing.

Actualy at this point i'd delete the whole thing and restart with a nice new fresh list.

(And btw ive noticed on some of the real craptacular games u got some real REAL high ratings... do u get a nice chunk of cash if u rate a game high?)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Originally posted by byson123

Originally posted by AtmaDarkwolf

Theres plenty on there that don't even exist or have been moved to new publishers, all it takes is for you (or if your too 'busy/lazy) have one of your subordanites do it.

Sorry but 'id rather not spend my day clicking each one, listing which, pointing out errors, etc etc when its much eaiser on your end to do the same thing.

Actualy at this point i'd delete the whole thing and restart with a nice new fresh list.

(And btw ive noticed on some of the real craptacular games u got some real REAL high ratings... do u get a nice chunk of cash if u rate a game high?)

You act as if you payed to be a member on here. You should be happy there even is a mmorpg.com.

^^^^^^ This I am just  happy they have this site and it is free for us to partake.   I know the other day when they were down for like a few hours I though wow omg. 

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012

Most people at mmorpg.com are working on more than just updating game lists. Like any site that is community driven it requires the community to help keep information upto date.

Are you too busy/lazy to inform a staff member that it is out of date? Again I know MikeB is a busy guy he handles so many emails / events / moderators. I sometimes email them to update things on the gameslist and it is done mostly news stuff. I do not think it is a case of being lazy but more a problem of people having access to update the gameslist.

I think all that needs to be done is get the admin to add some sort of alert to admin feature so people can inform the right level of staff that something has been updated on x game. If it is more easy for the community to inform staff of updates people will do it more.

Why because a few things are out of date that would not be viable at all.

MikeB has looked into this in the past. It is not a case of MMORPG.com getting a chunk of cash but more of  x game communitiy doing silly events to promote x game on websites like MMORPG.com

There had been countless post about this on this forum and MikeB has always been possative about fixing any issues like that.

Mike if you would like I can send you an email with a bunch of corrections to the games list I compiled this list a while ago when I was a mod here but never got round to sending it off. I will just go over it again see if there is anything I missed.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Wow. So first you feel your free ride here gives you the right to dictate how these guys run their site, then when one of the people who do run the site asks you to elaborate on exactly what about the game list is bugging you, you have no interest in doing so, and to top it off you close your "gimme gimme gimme" post with an outright insult to the guys who run this site, the guys you are asking, nay demanding, help from. Sorry mate but I feel the only part of the site that needs to be considered about in reguards to you is the ignore feature. When did tact and general politness become a thing of the past? Did I miss a memo or something?

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

Originally posted by Woopin

Most people at mmorpg.com are working on more than just updating game lists. Like any site that is community driven it requires the community to help keep information upto date.

Are you too busy/lazy to inform a staff member that it is out of date? Again I know MikeB is a busy guy he handles so many emails / events / moderators. I sometimes email them to update things on the gameslist and it is done mostly news stuff. I do not think it is a case of being lazy but more a problem of people having access to update the gameslist.

I think all that needs to be done is get the admin to add some sort of alert to admin feature so people can inform the right level of staff that something has been updated on x game. If it is more easy for the community to inform staff of updates people will do it more.

Why because a few things are out of date that would not be viable at all.

MikeB has looked into this in the past. It is not a case of MMORPG.com getting a chunk of cash but more of  x game communitiy doing silly events to promote x game on websites like MMORPG.com

There had been countless post about this on this forum and MikeB has always been possative about fixing any issues like that.

Mike if you would like I can send you an email with a bunch of corrections to the games list I compiled this list a while ago when I was a mod here but never got round to sending it off. I will just go over it again see if there is anything I missed.

Sure. Go ahead and send them over! I'll be glad to forward them along.

As for the general response above, again, we have people that work on the game list and are tasked with adding to the list and keeping it up to date. The fact of the matter is with 400 games on the list people who play and are passionate about a specific singular game (or several games) will always be privy to these little changes before we are. If you only play EverQuest II you are probably going to notice that the website URL changed the day it does whereas we may not until we make a pass on the game to keep it current. We don't rely on you guys to keep the game list up to date-- but you can certainly help us do a better job at it by letting us know when you've identified something that needs updating.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

lol Wow dude, all he was saying is if you see something specific you can let them know. He didnt say "go through the whole list and tell us what you find."

If you see a game thats outdated you can easily email or message them and let them know that you spotted it. And you call them lazy...

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

I wouldn't mind seeing a new column added to the list that just tells readers when the info was last updated (month/year) for a particular game. If the info is 1 or 2 years old I would probably assume that the info may not be correct. Otherwise, I just use the list for reference anyway. I can usually google for more info if need be. Nice to have but as mentioned before it is not always accurate. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by monstermmo

lol Wow dude, all he was saying is if you see something specific you can let them know. He didnt say "go through the whole list and tell us what you find."

If you see a game thats outdated you can easily email or message them and let them know that you spotted it. And you call them lazy...

+1

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• King_KumquatKing_Kumquat Member Posts: 492

Dunno if anyone else has said this or not;

But a graveyard for the names of the titles could be worth keeping. A lil' sort of history book of the genre.

Will develop an original MMORPG title for money.
  • seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

I REALLY miss when they had all of the "major" games listed in Alphabetical order and then an "other games" option at the bottom, or something to that effect.

I liked just being able to glanced at a list of popular games just to see which title caught my eye, then clicking it for info. Or even opening multiple tabs of cool sounding games. Now I don't bother doing that as I have to click through letters to get a list, and if I don't even know what i am looking for I'm probably not going to start sifting through letters :p

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

Originally posted by Ozreth

I REALLY miss when they had all of the "major" games listed in Alphabetical order and then an "other games" option at the bottom, or something to that effect.

I liked just being able to glanced at a list of popular games just to see which title caught my eye, then clicking it for info. Or even opening multiple tabs of cool sounding games. Now I don't bother doing that as I have to click through letters to get a list, and if I don't even know what i am looking for I'm probably not going to start sifting through letters :p

The game list can be sorted by Hype/Rating and you can also add games to your favorites.

Originally posted by King_Kumquat

But a graveyard for the names of the titles could be worth keeping. A lil' sort of history book of the genre.

Sort the Game List by Cancelled games and you've got just that!

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Originally posted by MikeB

Originally posted by Ozreth

The game list can be sorted by Hype/Rating and you can also add games to your favorites.

Ah I was talking about the game list to the left of the forum. Anyways it's not too big of a deal, it was just more convenient and helped me discover more games while surfing the forums.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

The Popular Games dropdown is still there. Are you not seeing it? Should be right above the Game Forums alphabetical list. It's sorted both by Released Games and Games in Development. Is that what you were referring to?

Yeah, but there needs to be more on the list. 

Or does Hero's Journey deserve a "never got off the ground" flag? Fufufufufufufufufu...

Or does Hero's Journey deserve a "never got off the ground" flag? Fufufufufufufufufu...

If it's not officially dead/cancelled it won't appear on that list. Sorry!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Heck, I rarely look at the Games list, don't waste too much time on it guys.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

If it's not officially dead/cancelled it won't appear on that list. Sorry!

http://coseegreatlakes.net/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/Jessicas%20memory%20stick%20520.jpg

psst... Go poke it with Jessica and you tell me.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

I think the time for a game list cleanup has come. Well, it has past, but still.

There are so many games on the list which are so outdated, some not evne in existance, some moved to diff sites/diff publishers, etc, and some just do NOT belong in alist of MMORPG's(being that they are not rpgs, are fps's, rts, etc types)

That OR a better way to filter them. The list is outdated, and hasn't been revised and / or changed in so long, All I am asking is that you go over the list, check each game for

1:If its a MMORPG, even in the loosest sence of the word,

2: Check if the game's links are working, and

3: Check the 'info' is correct still (Like subscription data, etc)

I hope this isn't too much to ask. Been a long time mmorpg.com visiter and thats one thing that has bugged me since day one, the game list.

I'd add that games still be active, as in servers , someone is hosting or the games can still be hosted.  I agree though.

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Error on the Homepage:

Rift is listed under "Free MMOs to play now"  when it is NOT f2p. 

If it is listed for having a free download/trial, perhaps you should create a separate listing for that [with almost every game that is 6 months old or older in the list!]