Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have seen TSW gameplay video last night and one of the Dev's pointed out somthing.

slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

A primary tank class, elemental class, magic class, and a dark magic class etc, I thought TSW was going to avoid what we already play with now :S

So we all going to start off with a primary class and be able to branch to other skills of other classes later like Matrix online did?

A tank can branch off to magic but will not be as effective as a primary magic player, we have this type of formula already.... hey I am just pointing out what the Dev said, the game still looks great.

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

For a raid everyone needs to do a job, fill a role, be a class, whatever you want to call it. The person he commented on as being the tank had simply chosen to use a combination of powers that would grab the mobs attention and be able to hold it while the others kill it.

I really don't know why i'm bothering to explain it though as the video you mention even shows you the narrator choosing to switch from being melee to a caster in the middle of the dungeon.

• JarodDJarodD Member Posts: 24

It helps to think of them as decks rather than classes. Each party member selects a deck that allows him/her to fill a useful role in the group. If you made a poor choice or the needs change, you can find an anima well in order to pick a different deck.

The devs do tend to frame party composition in terms of trinity roles, but having a tank deck is not nearly the same as playing a tank class.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by slim26

A primary tank class, elemental class, magic class, and a dark magic class etc, I thought TSW was going to avoid what we already play with now :S

So we all going to start off with a primary class and be able to branch to other skills of other classes later like Matrix online did?

A tank can branch off to magic but will not be as effective as a primary magic player, we have this type of formula already.... hey I am just pointing out what the Dev said, the game still looks great.

As was explained, they're not "playing a class", but merely fulfilling that role for that particular dungeon.

The game is classless in that you don't pick a class at character creation, and aren't "locked in" to one as you play, but can branch out and train different skills which you can then utilize as the situation requires. 

To use an arbitrary example... Where in class-based games, a Samurai and fireball hurling Mage are two separate classes with their own discrete skills, etc. In a game like TSW, you can be a fireball hurling Samurai, because each is not a "class" but a "skill". 

To be sure, people will sort of find their own "pseudo-class" builds that they'll follow. The min/maxers are sure to work toward that end, finding the "most optimal builds" which will ultimately resemble your traditional classes anyway.... as they always do. But those limitations are imposed by players on themselves. They're not imposed by the game.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• slim26slim26 Member UncommonPosts: 645

Originally posted by JarodD

It helps to think of them as decks rather than classes. Each party member selects a deck that allows him/her to fill a useful role in the group. If you made a poor choice or the needs change, you can find an anima well in order to pick a different deck.

The devs do tend to frame party composition in terms of trinity roles, but having a tank deck is not nearly the same as playing a tank class.

Decks like in Matrix Online, OK cool, Thank you all for explaining that to me.

• CantorageCantorage Member Posts: 186

Developer Martin Bruusgård said that they don't design encounters so that you need 1 tank, 1 healer and 3 dps. They design encounters for a total amount of healing, a total amount of dps, a total amount of "ways to keep bosses off dpsers" that the group must have as a whole.

• azrael466azrael466 Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by slim26

As was explained, they're not "playing a class", but merely fulfilling that role for that particular dungeon.

The game is classless in that you don't pick a class at character creation, and aren't "locked in" to one as you play, but can branch out and train different skills which you can then utilize as the situation requires. 

To use an arbitrary example... Where in class-based games, a Samurai and fireball hurling Mage are two separate classes with their own discrete skills, etc. In a game like TSW, you can be a fireball hurling Samurai, because each is not a "class" but a "skill". 

To be sure, people will sort of find their own "pseudo-class" builds that they'll follow. The min/maxers are sure to work toward that end, finding the "most optimal builds" which will ultimately resemble your traditional classes anyway.... as they always do. But those limitations are imposed by players on themselves. They're not imposed by the game.

But, can you be a samurai hurling fireball?

Playing
    Nothing
    waiting for
    The secret world
    Played
    WoW, DCU online, star wars: the old republic, city of heroes, city of villains, everquest, plenty more I'm probably forgetting or aren't worth noting.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

Originally posted by azrael466

But, can you be a samurai hurling fireball?

Yeah you can, but seeing as you can have only 7 active skills it would sure take some excercise to get it working :D

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

I want to be a fireball hurling multiple samurai as an auto attack. With a AOE Ninja explosion.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

if you want a feel for how this type of system works, try Rift.  Rift's system is more limited than TSW's promises to be, but it's still very similar. 

You have several roles in rift and even though you may start out as the group's "Caster DPS", you can switch to being a healer or a tank for a given encounter if it is called for.  There have been quite a few times in Rift instance groups when the group wasn't succeeding and the players went "ok, let's try with ME tanking instead, so that means YOU switch to DPS and Bob switch to second healer"  or "we're a little short on heals and we don't really need a 2nd tank, so 2nd tank switch to DPS and DPS switch to bard for extra heals"

It's pretty cool :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO