Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DCUO: New item shop

astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

DCUO apparently has introduced a new item shop. Yes, on top of the existing subscription. And one the first offerings? Not a vanity item at all, but a heal patch of some kind.

I’m glad this was a priority in the midst of the hacking, repeated content, and merely functional UI.

http://www.psu.com/DC-Universe-Online-new-microtransaction-market-opens--a012149-p0.php

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

Comments

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by astoria

DCUO apparently has introduced a new item shop. Yes, on top of the existing subscription. And one the first offerings? Not a vanity item at all, but a heal patch of some kind.

I’m glad this was a priority in the midst of the hacking, repeated content, and merely functional UI.

http://www.psu.com/DC-Universe-Online-new-microtransaction-market-opens--a012149-p0.php

Its a repair bot for repairing your gear, its a very redundant thing since every instance has something similar at the start of it in the form of a coke machine :)

And extra visits to the vault, where you can make a bit of ingame cash or get unique appearance only items (You get 1 visit a day for free anyway per char)

I dislike cash shops, I currently dislike SoE, but please  lets call a spade a spade and not try to palm it off as a tractor.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Kothoses

Originally posted by astoria

Its a repair bot for repairing your gear, its a very redundant thing since every instance has something similar at the start of it in the form of a coke machine :)

And extra visits to the vault, where you can make a bit of ingame cash or get unique appearance only items (You get 1 visit a day for free anyway per char)

I dislike cash shops, I currently dislike SoE, but please  lets call a spade a spade and not try to palm it off as a tractor.

Fair enough, I'm not even a vehement opponent of 'F2P' cash shop MMOs. I just feel that the game has a lot of glaring issues and I'm disgruntled that they'd spend time on this instead.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The way things are going in DCU it doesn't matter what is being sold in the cash shop.  The fact that they even spent time developing a cash shop is beyond absurd. 

The fact that it released before the server mergers, fixes to game breaking exploits and bugs (go ask the PS3 how the console freezes are going) or the months late content updates that were promised shows that SOE doesn't care about their customers.

There is no reasonable way for SOE to have time to dedicate to a greedy cash grab.  SOE still has a backwards mentality about the priorities of making games and building relationships with customers. 

• HyperbeamHyperbeam Member Posts: 124

• EvileEvile Member Posts: 534

Yea SOE did it again. Took a game that could have been kick ass, and destroyed it with failure.

• ExilorExilor Member Posts: 391

I, for one, wholeheartedly welcome and embrance this exciting new feature!

Please....kill...me.......agh

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Originally posted by Daffid011

The way things are going in DCU it doesn't matter what is being sold in the cash shop.  The fact that they even spent time developing a cash shop is beyond absurd. 

The fact that it released before the server mergers, fixes to game breaking exploits and bugs (go ask the PS3 how the console freezes are going) or the months late content updates that were promised shows that SOE doesn't care about their customers.

There is no reasonable way for SOE to have time to dedicate to a greedy cash grab.  SOE still has a backwards mentality about the priorities of making games and building relationships with customers. 

So.....perhaps they needed revenue to do those things and that's why they added the cash shop first.....

And given the low income from subs, that seems perfectly reasonable.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Zorgo

So.....perhaps they needed revenue to do those things and that's why they added the cash shop first.....

Given that Sony is really hurting for cash at the moment.. i can sort of understand it...  chances are this is one of those, 'test the water' items, and if it does well, you can probably expect to see more of the same.. image

Originally posted by Zorgo

Money is not the reason why DCU is having the troubles it is and those troubles existed before the massive population declines and layoffs.  DCU was the single biggest and most well funded project SOE has ever attempted and this is the result of those efforts.

It isn't reasonable to expect the few loyal players who are sticking around to effectively be taxed, because SOE cannot perform their job.  Even if that money does somehow go to help better the game and not get funneled into one of their other mmos they are working on. 

It isn't the responsibility of the players to kick in extra money so that SOE can fix their product.  It is precisecly this mentality that has empowered SOE (and several other companies) to run their games into the ground.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by Robokapp

so...nobody wants to pay their subscriptions, therefore they decide to charge players some extra. Makes sense.

Yeah... Actually it does. It is like a store offering a buy 3 get the cheapest one for free to lure you in to buying more then you might have planned from the start.

Simply offer the paying customers more things to buy in a atempt to ger a more positive cashflow... sounds pretty msart in my book, especially considering the alternative wich is at best no change in the cash flow a dn at worse a lower cashflow...?  But i might be wrong.

This have been a good conversation

Originally posted by tawess

Originally posted by Robokapp

so...nobody wants to pay their subscriptions, therefore they decide to charge players some extra. Makes sense.

Yeah... Actually it does. It is like a store offering a buy 3 get the cheapest one for free to lure you in to buying more then you might have planned from the start.

Simply offer the paying customers more things to buy in a atempt to ger a more positive cashflow... sounds pretty msart in my book, especially considering the alternative wich is at best no change in the cash flow a dn at worse a lower cashflow...?  But i might be wrong.

That isn't exactly representative of the situation though.

Right now the direct competition to DCU [city of heroes and champions online] have both gone free to play.   DCU was already failing to justify the $15 a month fee which is the highest in the industry and population has dropped like a rock.  One of the biggest complaints about the game right now is lack of content and putting an additional price tag on content doesn't seem like a wise move towards improving the games health.

This is a perfect example of SOEs short term mindset that has crippled their long term viability.  Maybe SOE makes a couple of quick bucks off this, but it sends a very clear message to the players where their priorities.