Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hey Look, Atmospheric Flight (Finally)

Apparently at fan faire they are demoing atmospheric flight... something players have asked for, for ages.  And they want to implement it before the game closes.  Too bad it took until now to finally get that done.  Such a downer.   Apparently there's a staging area for the ships that fly above the planets about 6000m above the ground in the sky that some of the players who played the demo saw.  Too bad this is coming too late.

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Huh.

I think thats about all I can say.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Those don't look like SWG buildings to me.

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by reaperuk

It's Naboo.  Theed, I believe.  They're real.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

It's Theed, look again, pretty easy to tell.

You probably just are not used to looking at them from that height, but it is quite obvious it is indeed Galaxies.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Just serves to show how the notice of closure was a surprise to them, at least for the development team.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by EricDanie

Just serves to show how the notice of closure was a surprise to them, at least for the development team.

Agreed. It must have been a surprise to the entire SOE including Smed, I don't see them wasting this many manhours if they knew the game was closing down.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Yeah, thats the one part of Theed that they tried to make look similiar to the movie version of Theed.

Its the royal road in front of the palace. The big round domed roof ofthe palace and one of the arches.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Originally posted by Kost

It's Theed, look again, pretty easy to tell.

You probably just are not used to looking at them from that height, but it is quite obvious it is indeed Galaxies.

Ah yeah. Now I've seen the video I can see it. I thought the original screenshot was of player housing rather than Theed.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Wow. You know, I didn't really have an opinion about SWG closing until now. Suddenly it seems that much more obvious that this was a bomb dropped, and not just on the players. It's very sad, actually. They clearly cared about the game enough to continue developing some very new content, and not simply new monsters to kill either.

Pity.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Yeah it sucks, GCW 2 was coming... with lots of space pvp.  I heard there might be capital ships involved.  Then there was going to be the player city part of GCW 2.

And now, atmospheric flight.  Something I wanted from the get-go.  Finally.  But what's the point?  It's too bad it came too late.  Would have loved flying my YT-1300 with flames around.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

SOE still developing a game that has 5 more months until it dies, yet Vanguard gets nothing.

I really would love to be a fly on the wall in some of SOE's meetings.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• DyrttDyrtt Member Posts: 422

Why even show it?  I just can't imagine why they would show video or let people play it or even let people know they were working on it.  Why give all their fans a big poke in the eye like this?

"Hey!  Here is this cool new feature that you've all been asking for for years. You might even get to use it  for a month or two before we shut the game down for good!"

Originally posted by skeaser

SOE still developing a game that has 5 more months until it dies, yet Vanguard gets nothing.

I really would love to be a fly on the wall in some of SOE's meetings.

If they knew it would be real madness, but I think they assumed that they would get the license renewed even though TOR is releasing.

Lucas art screwed them over. 

But you still have a point, putting all that effort in SWG and nothing at all into VG is just stupid, it is like they want VG to die.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by Loke666

But you still have a point, putting all that effort in SWG and nothing at all into VG is just stupid, it is like they want VG to die.

Well, apparently sony is taking another look at Vanguard and might have some plans for it though it's not clear what.

As far SWG closing down, I think they had an inkling. After all, Smedley did say that they weren't sure what was going to happen to swg with swtor and would make plans should they need to "sunset" the game.

These guys aren't just "gamers" who are making games. they are business men. They look at their KPI's and metrics and what they have in the pipeline, what the market is like, etc. and make business decisions off of that. If they are good they will do well. If not, then "not".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Originally posted by Sovrath

Well, apparently sony is taking another look at Vanguard and might have some plans for it though it's not clear what.

As far SWG closing down, I think they had an inkling. After all, Smedley did say that they weren't sure what was going to happen to swg with swtor and would make plans should they need to "sunset" the game.

These guys aren't just "gamers" who are making games. they are business men. They look at their KPI's and metrics and what they have in the pipeline, what the market is like, etc. and make business decisions off of that. If they are good they will do well. If not, then "not".

I am not impressed with how they handle their bussiness. They have been fireing people 3 years in a row now.

I don't see the logic in adding a lot of content to a game you know will close down in a few months and nothing at all to the game that they can keep running, particularly since VG have about the same number of players.

They really should put all their effort in making Everquest Next a great game, as I see it that game might be their last chance for a comeback. 

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

thats cool...tool little too late.   Game has been around for 8 years.  The SOE execs are doing the right thing, they probably brought in experts that projected the amount of subscriptions they are going to lose when The Old Republic comes out and the projections are probably not good.  They are cutting off the game when they still have a profit instead of trying to battle a new mmorpg  with a star wars theme that has  more budget, a better game engine and a superior development team. If they continue to run this game, I guarantee its projected to lose money. Good decision by SOE to close down in December.

Originally posted by britzban

thats cool...tool little too late.   Game has been around for 8 years.  The SOE execs are doing the right thing, they probably brought in experts that projected the amount of subscriptions they are going to lose when The Old Republic comes out and the projections are probably not good.  They are cutting off the game when they still have a profit instead of trying to battle a new mmorpg  with a star wars theme that has  more budget, a better game engine and a superior development team. If they continue to run this game, I guarantee its projected to lose money. Good decision by SOE to close down in December.

YEah, but the question is why they still adds content to the game? And this isn't a small update for the fans either, it is pretty big stuff that takes a lot of work.

Smart would have been putting that work into Planetside 2 or EQ Next instead, this is just wasted time.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

Wow. You know, I didn't really have an opinion about SWG closing until now. Suddenly it seems that much more obvious that this was a bomb dropped, and not just on the players. It's very sad, actually. They clearly cared about the game enough to continue developing some very new content, and not simply new monsters to kill either.

Pity.

Nothing to do with $OE they have lost the licence and personally I look forward to the day $OE goes down like the Titanic never to be seen again. They don't give a shit about their player base so why should we care about them, they didn't even bother about our personal details they were so flippant they deserve all they get...Period!!

Asbo

Originally posted by britzban

YEah, but the question is why they still adds content to the game? And this isn't a small update for the fans either, it is pretty big stuff that takes a lot of work.

Smart would have been putting that work into Planetside 2 or EQ Next instead, this is just wasted time.

The dev team obviously wasn't aware.  In fact, I don't think anyone was aware.  I think they just decided to go along as if the game was going to continue on then sometime in the past few months or so a discussion was had and a decision was made.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

It's Sony!  What do you expect?

They the number one WORST company on the planet in all respects!

EA is close behind, but these guys take first place!

Everything they touch gets destroyed and run into the ground...

Everquest is the one trick they managed to pull of and "I" wasn't impressed with it (but I know many others were)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

I am not impressed with how they handle their bussiness. They have been fireing people 3 years in a row now.

I don't see the logic in adding a lot of content to a game you know will close down in a few months and nothing at all to the game that they can keep running, particularly since VG have about the same number of players.

They really should put all their effort in making Everquest Next a great game, as I see it that game might be their last chance for a comeback. 

They are probably adding the content precisely because it is closing down yet they have several months to do "something".

Essentially they have the content, the money has already been set aside in their budget and they are essentially going out in style. You forget, the money they are using for SWG up to the closing has already been set up in a SWG budget.

I'ts more of a Public Relations thing and thanks to the plaeyrs than anything else and they aren't really losing a lot of money going out with a bang. At least as much of a bang as they can go out in.

And as I said, since their station pass is getting a bit light it's very possible, per one of the community managers, that they will add a bit of something to Vanguard.  At least something that might invigorate it for a few more years until they decide to "sunset" it as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

They are probably adding the content precisely because it is closing down yet they have several months to do "something".

Essentially they have the content, the money has already been set aside in their budget and they are essentially going out in style. You forget, the money they are using for SWG up to the closing has already been set up in a SWG budget.

I'ts more of a Public Relations thing and thanks to the plaeyrs than anything else and they aren't really losing a lot of money going out with a bang. At least as much of a bang as they can go out in.

And as I said, since their station pass is getting a bit light it's very possible, per one of the community managers, that they will add a bit of something to Vanguard.  At least something that might invigorate it for a few more years until they decide to "sunset" it as well.

Rumor is Vanguard will be sold (or that they are TRYING to find a buyer). With EQ3 in production, they'd be silly to continue to compete against themselves. Vanguard hasn't been developed for ages as it is.

As far as adding atmospheric flight...

It was my understanding that it's been possible for some time, just REALLY buggy, as in, character destroying and unrecoverable damage to your toon type bugs. I think it's unfortunate that they demo this now on the eve of the games closure - a feature that has been requested and for 8+ years and could possibly have changed the course of the entire game that is now shutting its doors.

It's great that they can do it...just sucks that no resources were ever directed at it 7+ years ago when it is, imo, a game changing feature. Instead, resources went to CU, NGE, TCG...not improving what they had...always trying to add something WoW had.

/shrug

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

damnit!!! :(

This hurts almost as bad as the leaked capitol ships video right before nge hit.

• SandboxSandbox Member UncommonPosts: 295

This is a pure evil trick from SOE devs, if they actually are responsible for this video.

Exchange you avatar with a TIE model and set the z-axis above the ground level. (in this case it's actually the Y-axis, but you got the idea), and change the speed of your toon, and wips, you have what shown on that video.

Already been done with the pre-cu client, as well as mounted combat .

What did not work with the pre-cu client, was the animations. To bad SOE spend all their art and animations budget at the card game and stuff related to that.