Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Decline of MMORPGs

2»

Comments

• worldboy90worldboy90 Member Posts: 39

Ok.. I know only one mmorpg at the time... Roma-victor. Yeah, you might of seen other threads too... but thats exactly what their doing... Trying new ideas.. FIrst of all, no magic, or dragons... or swords that tear mountains in half. Second of all, politics, Roman times, slavery, gladiators, etc.

New things their tryin are:

-No Magic

-Big death penalty( Killed by PC, loose everything on you, killed by npc nothing happens) And not only that, if you were a bad player in game, you go to like the after life and if you were bad it might take you days or even weeks to get back into the real world, and by then your house might get looted.

-Everything and everybody could die. (Even quest givers)

-Nothing invincible, no buildings invincible..(yet im still not sure about the bank..)

-So far, it sounds like a good crafting system with much involvement

-You need food, and without it you will suffer the consequences

-Npc's live their own lifes... (There will never be just a store owner with unlimited amount of swords)THey will have to be just like you and buy up on material, and take it to a smith to get it done and only then sell their swords.

-You never have to lift a weapon, with my prediction of 5/8 of the population being peaceful.(Not me =))

Hmm.. thats about it.. or theres more, but Im too lazy to explain ;). But anyways, I think that still is pretty much taking risks... Quest givers could be killed? Whole empires burned down.. yep you could burn down rome if your a barbarian =).... Such a big death penalty. Also if you complete a certain quest you could becom "Legend" class where you get extra abilities and such, but if you die then, its perma-death.. well this is the game I've seen so far taking soo much risks.

• ThinmanThinman Member Posts: 461

Originally posted by worldboy90
    Ok.. I know only one mmorpg at the time... Roma-victor. Yeah, you might of seen other threads too... but thats exactly what their doing... Trying new ideas.. FIrst of all, no magic, or dragons... or swords that tear mountains in half. Second of all, politics, Roman times, slavery, gladiators, etc.
    New things their tryin are:
    -No Magic
    -Big death penalty( Killed by PC, loose everything on you, killed by npc nothing happens) And not only that, if you were a bad player in game, you go to like the after life and if you were bad it might take you days or even weeks to get back into the real world, and by then your house might get looted.
    -Everything and everybody could die. (Even quest givers)
    -Nothing invincible, no buildings invincible..(yet im still not sure about the bank..)
    -So far, it sounds like a good crafting system with much involvement
    -You need food, and without it you will suffer the consequences
    -Npc's live their own lifes... (There will never be just a store owner with unlimited amount of swords)THey will have to be just like you and buy up on material, and take it to a smith to get it done and only then sell their swords.
    -You never have to lift a weapon, with my prediction of 5/8 of the population being peaceful.(Not me =))
    Hmm.. thats about it.. or theres more, but Im too lazy to explain ;). But anyways, I think that still is pretty much taking risks... Quest givers could be killed? Whole empires burned down.. yep you could burn down rome if your a barbarian =).... Such a big death penalty. Also if you complete a certain quest you could becom "Legend" class where you get extra abilities and such, but if you die then, its perma-death.. well this is the game I've seen so far taking soo much risks.

And the funny thing is, ultimately it's not really a "risk". It's just a different way of doing a game. But most game makers are so afraid to do something different, that they think it's a risk if they do.

If they just had vision, and a real sense of gaming and the science of games, they could basically make a "sure bet" game, which is completely different from the EQ-treadmill clones. There would be little risk involved, if they just had what it takes.

Looking forward (cautiously) to: Age of Conan, Dark Solstice, Armada Online.

Will soon try: Guild Wars

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

I see this a lot, everytime a new MMORPG gets closer to release its touted as new and better gameplay...  How often do you hear the same comments AFTER release?

I can't say I know a lot about roma victor but I highly doubt the economy will be as realistic as you say.  You mentioned a store owner going to a smith for swords, but you say that most will be peaceful.  War drives an economy, at least in a game so I dont see how you could purpetuate a realistic economy.  Of course it could just be a "for show" feature of merchants going to get items to be the extent of the realism, even that would be cool, perhaps you could get a discount for providing some of the materials...

Originally posted by happydan20
    I see this a lot, everytime a new MMORPG gets closer to release its touted as new and better gameplay... How often do you hear the same comments AFTER release?
    I can't say I know a lot about roma victor but I highly doubt the economy will be as realistic as you say. You mentioned a store owner going to a smith for swords, but you say that most will be peaceful. War drives an economy, at least in a game so I dont see how you could purpetuate a realistic economy. Of course it could just be a "for show" feature of merchants going to get items to be the extent of the realism, even that would be cool, perhaps you could get a discount for providing some of the materials...

There's a lot of speculation, and only speculation, at this point, about how good roma victor will be. With the NDA still not lifted, we don't get very many concrete pieces of info about the various features in the game.

What can definitely be said is that there is a lot of potential for this game: They've done basically everything differently than the big companies have done. They have omitted anything that takes away from the eventual quality of the game, such as publishers, etc. At the same time, they are creating a game which has a completely different style of gameplay than anything previously released.

There are a lot of people who are pinning their short-term (next 1-2 years) hopes on RV, as being the MMOG which will bring us out of the current drought of originality.. and for good reason.

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

Hmm.. Thinman, you seem to know quite a bit about this game? Do you possibly have a name on the roma-victor forums? Also.. Yeah, its not really a risk, but it actually is. It is a risk because its change, and people must adapt to this change. Yet this will pull the game into a real living world, instead of an rpg which many people play. Take City of heroes and WoW.. it really doesn't matter if you kill each other or not.. just for fun. In roma-victor, if your fighting, it better be for a decent reason... hm.. I could imagine.. a type of helen of troy scenario being set up image.... Anyways, the only thing really bothering me here, it is surprisingly no matter how strong you get you cant do take on a 2v1... which pisses me off image... but idk, maybe Im wrong.. I hope im wrong :D... And, they said it has interesting fishing, and fishing is fun =).
  • GideonGideon Member UncommonPosts: 629

People hype games to much. People hype everything to much. The only reason why people think the MMORPG genre has dropped is becouse we expect so much of them and by the time they come out there are always things you wish for more in the game. To me MMORPG's are fun and will always be fun. MMORPG's are doing nothing but growing in population and bringing in a ton of money for companies who make successful MMO's. The real thing to do is not hype a game so much to were you regret it when you get the game.

Hmm.. Thinman, you seem to know quite a bit about this game? Do you possibly have a name on the roma-victor forums? Also.. Yeah, its not really a risk, but it actually is. It is a risk because its change, and people must adapt to this change. Yet this will pull the game into a real living world, instead of an rpg which many people play. Take City of heroes and WoW.. it really doesn't matter if you kill each other or not.. just for fun. In roma-victor, if your fighting, it better be for a decent reason... hm.. I could imagine.. a type of helen of troy scenario being set up image.... Anyways, the only thing really bothering me here, it is surprisingly no matter how strong you get you cant do take on a 2v1... which pisses me off image... but idk, maybe Im wrong.. I hope im wrong :D... And, they said it has interesting fishing, and fishing is fun =).

I'm Thinman on the RV forums as well.. but I haven't visited them in awhile.

The good news, is that you are wrong about the 2v1 thing. The even better news, is that it's twitch-based combat. So combat is based on your own skill level, hand-eye coordination, ability to strategize, etc. So if you're really good, you could take on 5 people and win, if you got lucky.

There will be a lot of strategy to combat, with endurance levels going down if you're jumping around too much.. you can block/parry, etc on your own, and a single blow can kill, if you connect well. It's basically as much like real life as they can make it.

I can't think of one feature in this game that they've done which isn't intruiging to me.

• happydan20happydan20 Member UncommonPosts: 260

And so the death of another MMORPG in my eyes....

I don't do twitch games, I just dont have the coordination for it.

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960

Originally posted by happydan20
    And so the death of another MMORPG in my eyes....
    I don't do twitch games, I just dont have the coordination for it.

I'm the same, so Lord of the Rings Online is off the list for me as well. Still, not every game is for every player. I'm sure something will come along for us, too. There aren't a whole lot of twitch-based MMOs out there right now (umm..Planetside and..err...), so I don't begrudge the action gamers their titles.

Originally posted by Thinman

I'm Thinman on the RV forums as well.. but I haven't visited them in awhile.

The good news, is that you are wrong about the 2v1 thing. The even better news, is that it's twitch-based combat. So combat is based on your own skill level, hand-eye coordination, ability to strategize, etc. So if you're really good, you could take on 5 people and win, if you got lucky.

There will be a lot of strategy to combat, with endurance levels going down if you're jumping around too much.. you can block/parry, etc on your own, and a single blow can kill, if you connect well. It's basically as much like real life as they can make it.

I can't think of one feature in this game that they've done which isn't intruiging to me.

Hmm... One thing that you forgot about... the defending is automated, which pisses me off. So I have no idea how assasinations and sneaking up on someone will work.. especially during battle where if you could get to a persons back side, go for the kill, and out of no where the shield pops up to block it -_-... If they fixed this, Id love them... But they said it also fixes lagg :-/.... Anyways, maybe there will be some strategy to blocking... or make it a little more intereseting, to block only if the enemy is infront of you :-/... itd be stupid... in a battle if they kept blocking and then only endurance would count, nothing more. Eh.. But we'll just have to wait and see.
  • RammurRammur Member Posts: 575
    With the millions wow and soe game pull in a year there is not decine only decline is what people on this site think just cause you personally dont like a game doesnt mean theres a decline most the people here seem to not even enjoy playing they are just a bunch of critics who are arogent and expect too much.