Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Sandbox?

RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

I was beginning to love all that I was hearing about GW2, but it is it just like every other themepark, where you have no impact on the world, and the game is small and linear? Ex. Runes Of Magic.

Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

Comments

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by assault3hro

I was beginning to love all that I was hearing about GW2, but it is it just like every other themepark, where you have no impact on the world, and the game is small and linear? Ex. Runes Of Magic.

You should check out my sig.

• TrenkerTrenker Member Posts: 88

I'd say 'no'.

End of thread?

• FigureFigure Member Posts: 128

This game is and always has been a theme park game.  If you're looking for a sandboxy sort of game, might I suggest EVE?  

(btw, that's not to knock this game at all.  I happen to enjoy theme parks a heckuva lot more than sandboxes)

Currently Watching: TSW. << Very Eager for a Beta invite. Have experience with Beta Testing.
    Not personally a big fan of raiding or current pve endgame mmo philosophy. Nothing wrong with it, I just sort of burnt out on it.
    Hardcore raider in wow from Launch to.. about 7 months ago.
    Currently Playing: Champions Online.

• RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269

Yes but themeparks often done screw up and make a terrible game, also I played EVE, but it costs far too much :(

So is this game at least explorable?

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Yes but themeparks often done screw up and make a terrible game, also I played EVE, but it costs far too much :(

Yes, very.

This is not a game.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

Thats pretty unknown atm, would be unfair to say "YES THE EXPLORATION WILL BE AMAZING OMG", there will be exploration of somekind in the game but, how much ? anyones guess ? 

The PvP and WvWvW will be superb thou :D

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by mmoski

Thats pretty unknown atm, would be unfair to say "YES THE EXPLORATION WILL BE AMAZING OMG", there will be exploration of somekind in the game but, how much ? anyones guess ? 

HYPOCRITE!!!! image

This is not a game.

I'd require at least maps say twice the size of Runes of Magic to blow $60 on this. :)

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

It's a waterpark.

And in the water you can swim in every direction you want.

But yeah, everyone already knew this was never intended to even remotely resemble a sandbox game for some years now. People either liked that, accepted it or moved on. Seems you have some catching up to do ^_^

Run forest!

• AcidDKAcidDK Member Posts: 82

GW2 is indeed no sandbox game. That doesn't make it bad though. Themeparks can be good if implented properly. From what we've seen so far GW2 seems very promising and a lot of the common annoyances found in current themepark MMO's have been dealt with. This is why so many look forward to the release of GW2. Because it actually looks fun, even if not sandbox.

Originally posted by Zeroxin

Originally posted by mmoski

HYPOCRITE!!!! image

Haha, point taken, but they have Izzy doing the game balance, and Izzy is a legend.

Well still, are the maps at least twice the size of Runes of Magic? What about housing, is that any good?

• KonyakKonyak Member Posts: 156

Well still, are the maps at least twice the size of Runes of Magic? What about housing, is that any good?

The original Tyria in Guild Wars is bigger than Runes of Magic. It's quite a lot bigger. Considering that GW2 takes place on that same continent and the shape of it hasn't changed much, I'd say GW2 Tyria is also bigger. The difference between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 though is that not only is there jump(rejoice?), but there really isn't any bounds. Like, in the original you couldn't take shortcuts or go down cliffs or anything but in GW2, you can. So it's probably going to seem a lot bigger than the first one because of that.

• dubledubdubledub Member Posts: 229

Originally posted by Konyak

The original Tyria in Guild Wars is bigger than Runes of Magic. It's quite a lot bigger. Considering that GW2 takes place on that same continent and the shape of it hasn't changed much, I'd say GW2 Tyria is also bigger. The difference between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 though is that not only is there jump(rejoice?), but there really isn't any bounds. Like, in the original you couldn't take shortcuts or go down cliffs or anything but in GW2, you can. So it's probably going to seem a lot bigger than the first one because of that.

There's a quote somewhere about the size of the maps. One of the producers tested out how long it took to run from one side of one map to the other, not stopping for anything unless she had to. She said it took about 45 minutes (I think... there must be the quote somewhere) and that that was just one of MANY maps, so it will be fairly big.

I'm playing Guild Wars: Prophecies now and I really don't think even a entire zone (like desert, or southern shiverpeaks etc.) takes 45 minutes to run across without stopping AT ALL. So I reckon it's bigger than original Tyria, AND there's all the underwater content AND all the areas that are now accessible through jumping/removal of boundaries. 

EDIT: Oh and housing, each player gets a place to store trophies or commerative items from their travels and personal story I believe. So if you complete a certain event/quest one way, you get a specific trophy or something.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I'd require at least maps say twice the size of Runes of Magic to blow $60 on this. :)

Comparsion with RoM just ... no comment on that. Just search the net and read more about GW and GW2

So it has some sandbox features, and I am really raving because of the larger more open spaces, also... is GW2 any good in long term play? Like what features does this game have..? ex. Raids, instances. Finally and most importantly, the leveling is it just another grindfest? If so, is it at least enjoyable to some extent?

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

You have so many questions, i invite you to search the other "many" posts about all we know about gw2 so far, once you read one please make your full opinion again ;)

• wrathzillawrathzilla Member UncommonPosts: 76

We don't know how "enjoyable" the game is yet, because it isnt out. However, Arenanet has mades many comments on endgame and on W v W v W PvP.

But check out the "All we know so far about GW2" thread.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

While GW2 will have 80 levels, they are not supposed to be that important compared to most other games, and it's not supposed to take that long to level, the leveling curve is supposed to flatten, as in, not steadily taking way longer (first 1 minute, later 10 hours for one level for example)

Take a look:

http://www.arena.net/blog/progression-and-leveling-in-guild-wars-2

About "end game" content: There are the dynamic events, surely there are some geared for higher levels, like the Shatterer, and there are several playthroughs through the dungeons. On the GW2 Fanday they allowed some fans to play through one dungeon (the catacombs) in story mode, and they said it wasn't easy. It will probably be easier if you actually play all the way from the start until there, as they jumped right into the battle without having played ever before, but i guess it's still supposed to be challenging.

And from the location of the dungeon and enemies appearing, my guess would be that the catacombs are no where near the hardest dungeon.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

Well is the dynamic events generic? I read the Q & A's but the problem is, would it be the same thing over and over again?

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by Anireth

And from the location of the dungeon and enemies appearing, my guess would be that the catacombs are no where near the hardest dungeon.

I think I read the the Catacombs is the first dungeon that players will encounter and it is for around level 35+.

Well is the dynamic events generic? I read the Q & A's but the problem is, would it be the same thing over and over again?

Yeah they will be generic in the way they play out, ie part 1 > 2 > 3 > 4 > 5 , but they will be dynamic in the way the play out at that time depending on what players do, ie it could be some thing like the parts would work out like 1 > 2 > 2 > 3 > 2 > 3 > 3 > 3 > 4 > 5, one thing that is cool about this kind of system is anet can add content changes and additions so easy which could change gameplay from week to week, if they were to add a dynamic alteration system to the dynamic content then the number of variables for what could occour could be staggering.

• SerenexSerenex Member UncommonPosts: 126

No it's not a sandbox, it is dynamic, it's worth $60, there's player houses, and Runes of Magic is the worst game ever. You spend hundreds of dollars trying to max out and its a pathetic wow clone,

They've got my money! Just now I have to wait for release :(

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    There is a sticky called 'EVERYTHING WE KNOW ABOUT GW2' it has videos and links to faqs and interviews. Might want to do a little bit of basic reading as all your questions are answered in links within that thread.

Wiki.guildwars2.com is also invaluable