Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Where Now?

Good I missed the days of SWG and the time when our player village was filled with shops and our guild arranging times to go on missions etc!

I think these are the bits I miss the most... the community,  every day i logged into swg and my shops would of sold its stuff... people were always in the village... now nothing!

is there any of games that do player villages etc and really try and develop more for a community then just grinding 24/7???

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

It is a long way off but Xsyon is starting to head there.  Aside from that not much.  Games have tried but nothing like SWG exists sadly. . maybe something upcomming like ArchAge.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

When I started playing 2 months ago, SWG servers were booming with very high, high and medium activity.  Now all the servers are low.  But to answer your question, Ultima Online will be the closest game you will find to SWG these days.  The player housing is in the open world like SWG, and a lot of the other content mirrors SWG.  I'm going to miss SWG big time.  I started playing 2 months ago and was blown away at how good the game is.  I stayed away from it for years because of all the negative attention the game gets with the whole NGE (que posts upon posts about this topic).  Believe me, I've tried a lot of games.  If you like today's SWG, give today's UO a try.

Originally posted by wrekognize

When I started playing 2 months ago, SWG servers were booming with very high, high and medium activity.  Now all the servers are low.  But to answer your question, Ultima Online will be the closest game you will find to SWG these days.  The player housing is in the open world like SWG, and a lot of the other content mirrors SWG.  I'm going to miss SWG big time.  I started playing 2 months ago and was blown away at how good the game is.  I stayed away from it for years because of all the negative attention the game gets with the whole NGE (que posts upon posts about this topic).  Believe me, I've tried a lot of games.  If you like today's SWG, give today's UO a try.

Great point UO is a good alternative.  I hate all the colors and crap they used after the Second Age. . but might give the official servers a go again.  Too bad my character from release is gone :(

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Great point UO is a good alternative.  I hate all the colors and crap they used after the Second Age. . but might give the official servers a go again.  Too bad my character from release is gone :(

im just realizing how completely counter-intuative this is,

to find a game that mirror's SWG's greateness (im talking pre-CU of course :P) we have to go backwards and not forwards

also on topic, there are only 2 games that i found that quench that SWG openess feeling (minus the housing) is Ryzom and EvE, 

and i heard a 3rd one Perpetum online is also very open and EvE-Like (ish), though it's still in its early release. (im just waiting for my bandwidth reset next month to do the 30 day trial)

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

im just realizing how completely counter-intuative this is,

to find a game that mirror's SWG's greateness (im talking pre-CU of course :P) we have to go backwards and not forwards

also on topic, there are only 2 games that i found that quench that SWG openess feeling (minus the housing) is Ryzom and EvE, 

and i heard a 3rd one Perpetum online is also very open and EvE-Like (ish), though it's still in its early release. (im just waiting for my bandwidth reset next month to do the 30 day trial)

I guess I would add to this Fallen Earth (soon FTP). . if they add player housing etc. like they plan to.  I found the resource gathering and wandering reminded me a lot of SWG. . but yes. . going back is not the way.  I have not tried Ryzom.

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

but yes. . going back is not the way.  I have not tried Ryzom.

If someone is playing SWG, he is already going back in today's terms.  The problem with today's MMO industry is he'll have to go back in order to find the type of gaming experience that he's looking for.  SWG is one of the best MMO's I have played, and everyone on these boards would agree, "SWG is going back in time".   That does not make it a bad game.  People will say the same thing about UO, and these comments are the very reason it took me so long to try SWG a try.  UO Continues to have content updates (including today added content to the high seas among other things).  Take your visial glasses off when you see the graphics of UO and you will find the deepest sandbox game out there as you begin your adventure.