Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends overtakes WoW

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Well, at least according to Xfire. Maybe not the most reliable source but more accurate than most. WoW has been the number 1 there for years, now it's the number 2.

LoL: 164673 hours played

WoW: 149442 hours played

I thought that was interesting.

(I don't advocate LoL or play it, just wanted to make a thread)

http://www.xfire.com/games/#

Comments

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Disturbing news indeed. WoW should NEVER be surpassed. Never!

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

this thread has been done a lot. Also its xfire it means practically nothing considering the vast majority of gamers don't use that god forsaken service.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Frostbite05

this thread has been done a lot. Also its xfire it means practically nothing considering the vast majority of gamers don't use that god forsaken service.

its quite likely that 99 percent of WoW players don't even know what Xfire is, or if they have heard of it.. they think its something to do with graphics cards....image

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I play neither game but really, people need to stop posting bits of info they get from XFire. I don't use it, very few I know use it, and the few I know that do rarely remember to turn it on. Nothing can truly be gleaned from XFire data.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

Originally posted by CalmOceans

Well, at least according to Xfire. Maybe not the most reliable source but more accurate than most. WoW has been the number 1 there for years, now it's the number 2.

LoL: 164673 hours played

WoW: 149442 hours played

I thought that was interesting.

(I don't advocate LoL or play it, just wanted to make a thread)

http://www.xfire.com/games/#

well.. if the average player, plays each game for 4 hours a day..  +/- 1hr then that means

LoL has a grand total of 41,000 players..

and WoW... contrary to those lies from Blizzard... by only 37,000 players.. gosh their in trouble now!!! image

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I play neither game but really, people need to stop posting bits of info they get from XFire. I don't use it, very few I know use it, and the few I know that do rarely remember to turn it on. Nothing can truly be gleaned from XFire data.

Yes "forums aren't for intelligent discussions", you certainly got it right in your signature line. Your post didn't help the intelligent discussion much tho.

With even the basic knowledge of statistics, you should know that even with 1000 players serving as a sample size, you might start doing reasonable assumptions. X-fire, as far as I know, has about hundreds of thousands of players playing every day, which is millions time more accurate estimation than parliamentary voting estimations. It is as accurate as statistics can be, and unless you believe in some conspiracy, such as that X-fire is secretly manipulating the numbers, you should think twice before going against the principles of--basics--of statistics.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Thillian

Yes "forums aren't for intelligent discussions", you certainly got it right in your signature line. Your post didn't help the intelligent discussion much tho.

With even the basic knowledge of statistics, you should know that even with 1000 players serving as a sample size, you might start doing reasonable assumptions. X-fire, as far as I know, has about hundreds of thousands of players playing every day, which is millions time more accurate estimation than parliamentary voting estimations. It is as accurate as statistics can be, and unless you believe in some conspiracy, such as that X-fire is secretly manipulating the numbers, you should think twice before going against the principles of--basics--of statistics.

and thats why there is the saying, 'Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics'

as for parliamentary votes.. well.. does anyone really believe what politicians say these days image   you know most of them are/used to be Lawyers...image .... statistically speaking that is image

Originally posted by Phry

its quite likely that 99 percent of WoW players don't even know what Xfire is, or if they have heard of it.. they think its something to do with graphics cards....image

Well, 99% of all WoW players do not even know that WoW is an MMO... Seriously; I entered a thread on facebook where my son & his friends were discussing WoW. None of them knew what type of game it was. And more shockingly; 1 out of 10 knew a game that was "similar" to WoW...

Those kids are the ones that dictates the future of our MMO's too you know...

Originally posted by chrisel

Well, 99% of all WoW players do not even know that WoW is an MMO... Seriously; I entered a thread on facebook where my son & his friends were discussing WoW. None of them knew what type of game it was. And more shockingly; 1 out of 10 knew a game that was "similar" to WoW...

Those kids are the ones that dictates the future of our MMO's too you know...

or at least their parents continued paying for them to play it is.....image

it would also explain the sales of sparkly horses....  how many parents buy stuff for their kids just for a few minutes of peace and quiet image

WoW is banned in my home. And I would never pay for any of my sons WoW subscription. Not that I hate WoW, it is more due to the effect the game has upon my kids.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

It isn't? :O

but LoL and WoW both have horrid community, but LoL is nice when you kinda play with friends and such.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Well, at least according to Xfire. Maybe not the most reliable source but more accurate than most. 

Utter rubbish.  A very small segment of mmo players use XFire - my friends and I never have, and we've played MMOs for over 10 years and we've never met anyone else (in real-life or ingame) who uses it either.  Most players have used Teamspeak, Ventrilo or Skype for YEARS, and if not a service like that they may well use the game's inbuilt speech facility.

I wouldn't wipe my backside with XFire "statistics".

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Well, at least according to Xfire. Maybe not the most reliable source but more accurate than most. 

Utter rubbish.  A very small segment of mmo players use XFire - my friends and I never have, and we've played MMOs for over 10 years and we've never met anyone else (in real-life or ingame) who uses it either.  Most players use Teamspeak, Ventrilo or even Skype for YEARS, and if not a service like that they may well use the game's inbuilt speech facility.

Ok then, what site is more accurate?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Its been over 10 years since I did my Stats course but unless there is some bias built into the Xfire numbers, it can be considered a random sample. Which you can do all sorts of statistical calculations and confidence intervals stuff on.

Based on the random/size, I'd say it is a good source to gauge trends.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

As others have said, for a statistics comparison it's a high enough sample, or it could be at least. Do you people think that when coke or pepsi want to make a new drink their sample is like 3 billion people? So there might well be more people playing LoL over WoW. However the comparison seems stupid to me considering that one is f2p and the other is p2p.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by AvatarBlade

However the comparison seems stupid to me considering that one is f2p and the other is p2p.

Well Blizzard can now boast about how many free to play trial account had been created :P

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

LoL is a great alternative to a mmo burnout like myself. WoW is now over 6 years old so i'm sure its produced its fair share of mmo burnouts. I mean anyone that played WoW for 3+ years knows that all other mmo's are shit in comparison. However LoL is not an mmo but a great game nontheless, probably the best f2p game i've ever played. You aren't forced to pay for anything you don't want to, and you don't get penalized for it. 

out with the old and in with the new. 

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Thillian

truth. But mentaly handicaped people will say crap. Mentally handicaped people take coin and throw it 1 time 10 times then 100 times. And say your results of chance. Of each side landing. tip should be around like that: 0/100%, 30-70%, 45-55% .1000 000 times 49.99999-50.000001%. And xfire sample is 10000+ size

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by jpnz

Its been over 10 years since I did my Stats course but unless there is some bias built into the Xfire numbers, it can be considered a random sample. Which you can do all sorts of statistical calculations and confidence intervals stuff on.

Based on the random/size, I'd say it is a good source to gauge trends.

That's what the othere people are saying.  They say that the Xfire numbers are biased and should not be considered a random sample.

Every stat course I have taken had examples of samples that were large enough but turned out to be biased and non-random.  The usual example is the Dewey-Truman election poll.

• Originally posted by Thillian

You are forgetting the issue of sampling bias.  If older gamers tend to use Xfire and younger gamers don't.  And if LoL tends to have a similar trend as well then LoL will appear more active even though it may not be.

I am not saying this is the case but Xfire has no way and no interest in taking measures against sampling bias.

But anyone who thinks a game that has been #1 for years on the service and then not being that anymore is meaninless is probably either stupid are trying very hard to short circuit their reason due to emotional motivations.

We do not need to etrapolate outside of Xfire although we can to some degree.  The fact that this occurred within Xfire is quite significant.

• crpngdthcrpngdth Member Posts: 54

i lold too much at this not to reply.  saying xfire is an accurate representation of gamers time spent is alot like attempting to count the grains of sand on a beach by the amount in your shoes.   its just  plain silly. 

• karbonistakarbonista Member UncommonPosts: 78

Wow.  Considering how mind-staggeringly boring LoL/DOTA is, that says a lot.

Srsly folks, it's the same goddam game every time.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by karbonista

Wow.  Considering how mind-staggeringly boring LoL/DOTA is, that says a lot.

Srsly folks, it's the same goddam game every time.

This post has some very weird logic.

You can apply that to any FPS/RTS/Sports/Fighting game.

Back on topic

We can state the fact that LoL is popular among Xfire users.

From it, can we extrapolate that LoL is a game that a lot of gamers play.

Question is, is this due to LoL popularity or WoW's burnout? 

I personally think it is a bit of both. vOv

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by Dibdabs

Utter rubbish.  A very small segment of mmo players use XFire - my friends and I never have, and we've played MMOs for over 10 years and we've never met anyone else (in real-life or ingame) who uses it either.  Most players use Teamspeak, Ventrilo or even Skype for YEARS, and if not a service like that they may well use the game's inbuilt speech facility.

Ok then, what site is more accurate?

I'm not interested in which site is accurate, just that your post contained the WILDLY inaccurate assumption that usage of a certain chat facility indicated which game is the most popular..

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

The ONLY information one can gleam from x-fire is specifically related to the people who use x-fire. For instance, if the number of hours logged per month by users for a given game trend downward for a month or two, you can make a logical statement that of people with x-fire installed, there is less time being played of that game with x-fire on.

You can make the same comparison between games, always making an assumption this only relates to players who use x-fire.

In short, this provides negligible and inconsistent data related to the broader MMO market. Plus, x-fire sucks. :)