Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LA+Bioware+ToR = spiteful towards gamers

12346»

Comments

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Originally posted by Lidane

I love how nobody even tries to discuss with me.  I just get called "one dimensional" and a "hater".

Fact is, I love Star Wars, thats why I post. Because this game doesn't look anything like it and its the only SW game in developement.  (Kinect doesn't count, thats a cheap Dave & Busters arcade game.)

Someone "discuss" with me and I'll be more than happy to return it.  But no, all I expect is more hatred and anger.

Of course it looks like Star Wars. It's set in the very same universe as KOTOR, which, last I checked, is a Star Wars game. The look and feel of TOR, just like KOTOR before it, isn't that different from the stuff that LA has been putting out for a while now.

Just because it doesn't fit your idea of what a Star Wars game should be doesn't mean it's not Star Wars. 

Aaaand, just because it does fit your idea of what a Star Wars game should be, doesn't mean it is Star Wars.

*sigh*

We're going to go for that idiotic round robin now? Come on.

The only people who ultimately determine what is and what isn't Star Wars are the people who own the license, and that would be Lucas Arts. Doesn't matter what you think, or what I think or what anyone  on these boards thinks. If the Powers That Be who actually own the franchise and the rights decide that TOR is Star Wars, then that's what it is. Every book, every video game, every product that has the Star Wars name attached to it is cleared by LA. BioWare wouldn't still have the license if they were making a game that couldn't pass muster as a Star Wars game. 

Play it or don't. Doesn't matter in the end. As long as BioWare has the license, it's a Star Wars game.

That was a much better post.  Nicely done.

That's it? That's all you can offer in return? Seriously?

All I did was state the obvious. Star Wars is whatever Lucas Arts says it is. More to the point, it's whatever George Lucas says it is. Much as I hated the prequels with the fires of a thousand suns, he considers them canon. Much as I've raged against his idiocy at making Greedo shoot first or editing Hayden Christensen into the ending of Return of the Jedi, he considers it canon.

I've seen enough of SW:TOR right in front of me to say that it looks and feels like a Star Wars game to me. No, I'm not a beta tester, but I've seen the beta client. It looks amazing, and it unfolds in a way that brings you right into the Star Wars universe. If they can polish it up and offer enough variety for the player, BioWare will strike gold and give Blizzard a run for their money.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Lidane.

I am agreeing with you.

I am not going to argue a point when I do not feel there is a point to be argued.  I don't argue for the sake of it alone.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I love how nobody even tries to discuss with me.  I just get called "one dimensional" and a "hater".

Fact is, I love Star Wars, thats why I post. Because this game doesn't look anything like it and its the only SW game in developement.  (Kinect doesn't count, thats a cheap Dave & Busters arcade game.)

Someone "discuss" with me and I'll be more than happy to return it.  But no, all I expect is more hatred and anger.

Of course it looks like Star Wars. It's set in the very same universe as KOTOR, which, last I checked, is a Star Wars game. The look and feel of TOR, just like KOTOR before it, isn't that different from the stuff that LA has been putting out for a while now.

Just because it doesn't fit your idea of what a Star Wars game should be doesn't mean it's not Star Wars. 

Aaaand, just because it does fit your idea of what a Star Wars game should be, doesn't mean it is Star Wars.

*sigh*

We're going to go for that idiotic round robin now? Come on.

The only people who ultimately determine what is and what isn't Star Wars are the people who own the license, and that would be Lucas Arts. Doesn't matter what you think, or what I think or what anyone  on these boards thinks. If the Powers That Be who actually own the franchise and the rights decide that TOR is Star Wars, then that's what it is. Every book, every video game, every product that has the Star Wars name attached to it is cleared by LA. BioWare wouldn't still have the license if they were making a game that couldn't pass muster as a Star Wars game. 

Play it or don't. Doesn't matter in the end. As long as BioWare has the license, it's a Star Wars game.

That was a much better post.  Nicely done.

That's it? That's all you can offer in return? Seriously?

All I did was state the obvious. Star Wars is whatever Lucas Arts says it is. More to the point, it's whatever George Lucas says it is. Much as I hated the prequels with the fires of a thousand suns, he considers them canon. Much as I've raged against his idiocy at making Greedo shoot first or editing Hayden Christensen into the ending of Return of the Jedi, he considers it canon.

I've seen enough of SW:TOR right in front of me to say that it looks and feels like a Star Wars game to me. No, I'm not a beta tester, but I've seen the beta client. It looks amazing, and it unfolds in a way that brings you right into the Star Wars universe. If they can polish it up and offer enough variety for the player, BioWare will strike gold and give Blizzard a run for their money.

Not acutally sure if that was a sarcasm post he might have actually been complimenting you. who knows.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Sounds to me like sour grapes that your game was cancelled.  A couple of points.

1)  SWG had its run and as all games has come to an end.  Good decisions/Bad decisions, they all eventually go.  Some just do it faster than others.  It seems to me that LA is pretty smart in stopping a Star Wars game that would compete with its new game.  Its only common sense.

2)  Sandbox V Theme Park.  The reviews are in, most ppl like themepark games better.  You can rail against the machine (Which I do, because I like Sandbox games) but at the end of the day, the most popular games are the themepark games.  So once again, they made a smart decision.  They went where the players wanted them to be and where the money is.  Common Sense.

3)  The title of your thread says Spiteful towards gamers.  I don't see it.  No company that wants to make money is going to deliberately be spiteful towards its customer base.  Once again its common sense.  I think you mistake what you really mean is that you don't like it, so somehow they have been spiteful towards you (You're not that special).

4)  Finally, the game isn't out yet.  So people who say a game is good/bad/indifferent don't really know.  Unless you are a beta tester, and even then it isn't the final release.  I've been in beta tests where the game seemed good, but turned out not so good after they made those final decisions and visa versa.  Let the game come out, let the community vote through their subscriptions and perhaps, just maybe, you'll be in luck and the game will fail and you can tell everyone you knew it.  You will have plenty of company because there are many who revel in prognosticating failure in the hopes of having told everyone else.   Finally, if you wait long enough it will die (See 1) and you can revel at that time.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ScymanScyman Member Posts: 15

Why would LA  renew the contract with SOE which was up this year when they knew that most of the remaining player base would be moving to their new SW MMO, just for fun? As for the look and feel of the game world, it is about your own personal taste. It is just as easy to say the same thing about the clone wars cartoon or especially Lego Star Wars. There have been so many differant styles used to portray the SW universe that until you can actually play the game and see it in its entirety then you are just stomping your feet like a small child cause you didn't get your way.

• OmeeOmee Member Posts: 15

SOE and Bioware aren't spiteful, and they aren't trying to ignore people or piss anyone off. They are attempting to please a select crowd. The problem is that for every group that has a particular taste, you have an opposing group with a completely different opinion.

IE: my friends enjoyed SWG, I hated it.  Doesn't mean I thought SOE was spiteful or was ignoring me. Bioware is pleasing the select group of players who play Bioware games and have a particular expectation. They are also going with the idea that theme park wins vs sandbox, which seems to be a popular choice these days. As a company, you try to appeal to the masses.

Personally, I would much rather advance through a compelling fully voiced cinematic story, than stand around killing womp rats for 4 hours a day. No thanks. 

Allow me to have an attempt  the whole SWG vs. SWTOR and the whole "spiteful" thing:

I bought SWG at launch. I had the collector's edition with the special edition goggles.  (remember those?)   My friends and I were all long time Asheron's call and Daoc players.  Naturally, as MMO gaming vets and as HUGE Star Wars fans we were really looking forward to immersing ourselves into the SWG universe.  When we finally got to log in and play for the first time...we were very impressed. It felt very "star warsy" and immersive.  The graphics on it were also much better than anything else out at the time.  

However, after playing it for a while it started to feel like a job. There was way too much effort to put into everything. Gear, professions, housing, ect.   It was a very unforgiving game.   My friends LOVED SWG, but I just felt it just wasn't for me.  I play a game to have fun and relax, and I felt that those were 2 things that were missing in SWG.  I felt it was way too demanding for my taste.  So I went on to play other games...Namely KOTOR, which was released about a month into the launch of SWG. 

I (much like everyone else at the time) was blown away by KOTOR.  I remember thinking to myself "Wow, it'd be great if they turned this into an MMO.  I'm having way more fun with this game than I ever did with SWG!" Meanwhile, my friend's were having a ball with SWG, and didn't even touch KOTOR. They were busy Slicing weapons and killing mynocks for hours on end with no point what so ever. But that was their taste. They wanted a life-like simulation of what living in the Star Wars universe would be like and I wanted an adventure with a compelling story.

Since then, I have played most of Bioware's games.  And although I have had my gripes with  some titles (KOTOR 2, DA2) over others, I have to admit that  I have thoroughly enjoyed their games. (Jade Empire and Mass Effect!)

Having stated that, and having seen the track record that Bioware has had with their games, I find it very hard to believe that I will not enjoy this game.  Or that they are spiteful in any way. Thats absurd.  I may be a fanboy, but that fandom has been earned via respect and admiration through many titles and several hours of gameplay. 

Clearly, it's a matter of opinion. Those who enjoyed games that were fun, rewarding, and theme park based like DA:O and KOTOR will enjoy this. The other group...not so much. But you can't please everyone.  When you try, you end up with things like the NGE. 

Will SWTOR be a successful MMO? Who knows. But I definitely think it will be a fun, immersive game. 
  • MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

@Omee: good, balanced and reasonable way of viewing things. Cheers, mate image

+1

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• reillanreillan Member UncommonPosts: 247

Originally posted by MMO.Maverick
    @Omee: good, balanced and reasonable way of viewing things. Cheers, mate

+1

Seconded

/still consider KOTOR the #1 video game story of all time