Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player Just tried this game!! It's GORGEOUS!!

13»

Comments

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by AllSeeingGuy

Originally posted by ste2000

If you like PvP and you are not too bothered of the limited sandbox features, play Darkfall. You will see the difference between a game and an early Beta

Please head back to the DF forums and join the DF2 post created by myself. Its one thing to appreciate both games and its another thing to be rabid about one and hate the other. Its pretty obvious where you stand, your opinions in these forums mean next to nothing, and provide no constructive presence to this thread other then "I hate MO , darkfall is much better".

It s not about hating MO, it's about the fact that technically is not even close to Darkfall.

I am not talking about the game design or gameplay, but purely technically which is the same critics and other hundreds of people make about MO (that's because objectively it is the truth).

Darkfall is a game, even with all its limits (No meaningful PVE, fucked up economy), MO is a Beta, and that's an optimistic statement.

I don't play Darkfall anymore, because its gameplay is too limited (Just PvP), so I don't have a problem critizising games I play or I played, unlike you who can't even acknowledge the obvious.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

Originally posted by deathshroud

yea i kinda thoguht that was what he meant but i was just making sure, whilst jousting is i guess a form of twitch based gameplay it isnt really comparable to MO's combat. i mean in mo not only do you run in and out of combat, you have to actually aim your swing, you have to actually choose were to strike (head,legs, leftarm,right arm, torso) and you actually have to aim your block. So as you can see the difference here is quite massive.

In UO I had to track my swing timer (or lose DPS), be prepared to react instantly to a state change in myself or opponents (poison, pre-cast heal or damage held on cursor, is a bandage currently cycling on them, is my target being focus healed, etc), and many other variables needing instant counters - while moving around an environment that was much more dense than MO's (who hasn't died to that bush hiding under a tree?) and jousting with multiple opponents.

You are trying the same trick as before, redefining the argument in an attempt to counter any disagreement. I didn't say both systems were the same, I said both were twitchy and even Osamunda agrees.

Also, if you played UO you'd know exactly what I meant by jousting in PvP. So either you didn't play or you didn't PvP at all and therefore are not really qualified to comment on the subject. Saying "oh yeah I know that!!" after someone explains it to you fools no one.

• angrymimeangrymime Member Posts: 154

This game is a lot of fun.

It's brutal in some sense.   You cannot go afk safely anywhere.  But that's a double edged sword.

Get someone on your friends list that doesn't mind you constantly pestering him with questions.  There's as many people willing to help out noobs as those out to slaughter them.  If it's not for you then move on, but if you're looking for something that's not in a big shiny corporate package it might be a good match for you.

Keep in mind that it's a sandbox.  You need to find people with similar playstyle as yourself and become a part of that community.  Join a merchant guild or join a pvp guild and have fun.  I am.

• ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409

Originally posted by JJOneway

Originally posted by Killswitch34

Getting mad at devs because you're to lazy to figure out the controls and UI? Pretty sad, why should every game have to hold your hand? If you can't handle the fact that you're all alone to figure it out, don't cry about it, it just shows what a child you are. That's one of the reason MO is a good game, no childish people play it because they can't handle how hard it is. Just actually have some initiative to look up a proper guide or ask someone to help you pretty simple. As for taming, it works just fine for me, it really isn't that hard to do.

That's ridiculous. So you think it's fine for a dev studio to make a game that forces people to find basic instructions on forums or YouTube videos made by other players? There's nothing childish about the OP's stance. He (like a lot of others I'm sure) believes that if he's going to pay money for a product, then said products manufacturers should have made at least the most cursory effort to ensure people know how to use it.

When will some of you "hardcore" crowd realise there's a big difference between not having golden exclamation marks and hand holding, and just being dumped in a game with the equivalent message of: "Off you go son, fill your boots" and nothing else? The OP isn't complaining about no quests or hand holding, but at not even being shown the most basic commands needed to play the game without scouring forums for player generated instructions.

If some of you had actually bothered to read the OP's post you would have seen that he's an MMO vet and a sandbox lover, just the sort of person who I'd think would be able to tell the difference between "hardcore" and simple lazy, clunky, arse-backwards design choices.

Please, we know you want hardcore sandbox games like MO to succeed, but that should never excuse laziness on the part of the Devs.

This is such an excellent responce to the majority of issues that trial/players have posted.

/signed

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

To the people complaining that MO forces people to go online for fundamental mechanics:

Have you played the game recently?  You start off surrounded by NPCs that explain the game.  In giant text, the words "press H for help" flashes, with a handy help file that comes with it, every time you log in.  You can type "/h " to ask questions in the help chat (this is explained in the chat box every time you log in).  There's tool tips on the side of the screen, with instructions on how to interact with them right below them.

so, uh, wtf?

• HluillHluill Member UncommonPosts: 161

Originally posted by funkmastaD

To the people complaining that MO forces people to go online for fundamental mechanics:

Have you played the game recently?  You start off surrounded by NPCs that explain the game.  In giant text, the words "press H for help" flashes, with a handy help file that comes with it, every time you log in.  You can type "/h " to ask questions in the help chat (this is explained in the chat box every time you log in).  There's tool tips on the side of the screen, with instructions on how to interact with them right below them.

so, uh, wtf?

You're right, there is some help from the UI, press "H" and the guides and such.

But there are a slew of commands that must be hunted down like unicorns.

Commands for switching between full and windowed screen, moving icons on the UI, pushing, directional blocking, mounts and pets, to just skim the surface.  I keep forgeting the command to display my guild tag.  The emote system sucks.  The combat controls suck too, but that's another topic.

I have heard rumors that the devs acknowledge the sub-par UI and have plans to update it.

So that's what the frick we're talking about.  Sandboxes can still be user friendly, and even hold one's hand from time to time.  Some people need training wheels, some don't.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by Hluill

Originally posted by funkmastaD

so, uh, wtf?

You're right, there is some help from the UI, press "H" and the guides and such.

But there are a slew of commands that must be hunted down like unicorns.

Commands for switching between full and windowed screen, moving icons on the UI, pushing, directional blocking, mounts and pets, to just skim the surface.  I keep forgeting the command to display my guild tag.  The emote system sucks.  The combat controls suck too, but that's another topic.

I have heard rumors that the devs acknowledge the sub-par UI and have plans to update it.

So that's what the frick we're talking about.  Sandboxes can still be user friendly, and even hold one's hand from time to time.  Some people need training wheels, some don't.

SV is working on an upgrade to the UI, which I'm sure everyone agrees is needed.

Having said that, a lot of people have also been guilty of not using the assets and information that is available in the "H" guides, the tutors in the starting area, the new guides added with Dawn, or from the Quick Guide available from the Download page on the official site.

Just one small example: you list pushing as info you need to hunt for, but the directions for how to push are located in the Combat section when you push H for Help in-game.

Overall, I think this is an area that SV can still improve in, though it's ultimately up to the players to use the information presented as well.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

{mod edit}

I too, as this person...love sandbox.  I love the challenge.  Being able to discover new things.  There are a lot of systems in MO that allow you to do those things, and I applaud them for it.  However, the chellenge of surviving in the MO world isn't what the problem is.  It is the same problem that every sandbox has had since the beginning of sandbox games.  The complete lack of a good new player tutorial.  One that not only gives you all of the basic information without being intrusive to your gameplay, as well as one that actually looks good in the process.

Let me clarify.  We are not complaining about the following things.

- PK/greifing

- losing our items

- dying

- question marks over NPC heads

- minimaps that show quest location

- level based design

- 1st person perspective (which I hate)

- crafting systems (even though they are too complex for most gamers)

- or any other system in the game that involves gameplay

Again.  It's the way in which you interact with the game.  The UI that is one of the worst I've seen in quite a while.  We are tired of the 15 year old DOS command prompt.  The backwards mouse/UI/attack mode of MO and DF.  Ugly icons, lack of new player direction (JUST NEW PLAYER) in the form of tooltip/basic tutorials WITHIN the game. 

There are plenty of amazing ideas in this game, some of us just have higher standards.  It really is hard for some people to play a game when it doesn't become fun until you spend a week trying to figure out how to do some of the most basic functions within the game.  If you can't understand that to any degree, then I just feel sorry for you.

Not to mention SV taking our money and not giving us what we purchased in return.  Oh wait, I just mentioned it.

Originally posted by DAS1337

There are plenty of amazing ideas in this game, some of us just have higher standards.  It really is hard for some people to play a game when it doesn't become fun until you spend a week trying to figure out how to do some of the most basic functions within the game.  If you can't understand that to any degree, then I just feel sorry for you.

As previously stated, they are working on an improved GUI.

As also previously stated, while they do need to improve some of the information about the game, players also need to make use of the information that is readily available.  A surprising number simply do not, even though they are prompted to do so.

• quentin405quentin405 Member Posts: 468

Originally posted by Rohn

As also previously stated, while they do need to improve some of the information about the game, players also need to make use of the information that is readily available.  A surprising number simply do not, even though they are prompted to do so.

Very true...after the last patch I made a trial account instead of activating my expired account just to look around and see whats up.. People are idiots.. I was upset trying to get all this information for new players OFF my screen, and seeing people ask the same questions over and over and over in /help.  Ive never in 10+ years of gaming been so full of anger towards new players..  Ill shutup about idiotic people but.. this one guy was standing by the new player npcs... RIGHT in front of the taming trainer spamming "This game is so retarded, how do I learn taming?  / OMG HELP ME, Can someone tell me how to learn taming?"

/facepalm

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by quentin405

Very true...after the last patch I made a trial account instead of activating my expired account just to look around and see whats up.. People are idiots.. I was upset trying to get all this information for new players OFF my screen, and seeing people ask the same questions over and over and over in /help.  Ive never in 10+ years of gaming been so full of anger towards new players..  Ill shutup about idiotic people but.. this one guy was standing by the new player npcs... RIGHT in front of the taming trainer spamming "This game is so retarded, how do I learn taming?  / OMG HELP ME, Can someone tell me how to learn taming?"

/facepalm

heheh,and  you just know that same guy is gonna go to some forum and whine that MO is impossible to figure out  :p

• alanismajerealanismajere Member Posts: 1

Theres a few points here let me list what i think:

Guys this is not SONY or some other big named company that produces a game and has unlimited resources.  With this intern they are building the game from the ground up learning from their mistakes.  They do the best they can with the limited resources they have.  Being a smaller company just starting they can make a dent in a niche market which they are trying to do just as DF has and wurm etc... Sony or any other big company wont invest in a niche market like UO did back in the day.  Back then their was more of a market for it as there wasnt to much around.

The game releases and gets subscribers to help fund them and keep them ahead. The company isnt rich and cannot support themselves without releasing the game and getting some subs.  You have to understand this and provide feedback to the devs so they can work on what they need to.  A sandbox game is no easy task.  There is 20x more things to implement and get off the ground than a standard MMO like wow.  There are so many systems and things that have to work together to get things going.  And i gotta say they had to start somewhere and release was rocky but thats to be expected from a company starting up and needing funding. DFO was the same way. In a years time they have done great work from where they were.

In time things will continue to get better, UI will improve, and game mechanics will get better.  Realize that sandbox is a niche market and if its what you want stay and play, if its not go away.  If you stay communicate with the devs let them know what you think so they know where to go with the game. 

As far as comparing against DF its tottaly differnt.  DF is more PVP based.  Theres not much else to it.  The crafting sucks, combat is fun i'll admit, but the 3rd person is done horrid (but sometimes its nice to go 3rd person but with sneaking etc... i dont agree with it since there is no true hide).  Just like SV DF is working on their UI, pve, offline meditation etc... Both games are fun in their own perspective.  I personally get tired of the grind in DF as well as the lack of doing what i want.  Really in DF your gridning to be able to compete in PVP.  Theres no true building houses, bridges, communities etc... There is limited with standing up your town but its very limited and you dont have the freedom you do in MO for creating gear etc..

I'm not saying everyone should like SV and their MO.  But they should give them credit for standing the game up, getting subs and improving on the game as they can.  It will only get better.  DF has done the same thing.  DF is a great game and so is MO in its perspective. 

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by alanismajere

Guys this is not SONY or some other big named company that produces a game and has unlimited resources.  With this intern they are building the game from the ground up learning from their mistakes. 

Had to chuckle right there tbh. What mistake haven't they made at least twice? Been on the test server lately, for example? ;) When you find a dead mouse in your bread, do you think "well the baker isn't walmart, he doesn't have as much money, this stuff happens"?

The causality isn't "they don't have money so their product can't be good", it's "their product isn't good so they aren't making money". Or in the case of Mortal, "they've had plenty of money but still nothing great has come out of it".

You see, Sony delivers quality work. Sony (or Blizzard) games deliver what they promise, even though you may not like what they promise. You buy WoW, you know you will get a playable game that will very likely run on your computer, 24/7 ingame customer support, a bug-free environment where you can act freely according to the possibilities that the game mechanics offer.

In Mortal.. if the client runs on your pc, you'll get stuck about thrice an hour, even in the cities. There is no guarantee that the provenly corrupt GMs (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/316861/page/1) are there to help you out. See this topic by someone who got stuck: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/64121-stuck.html 40 minutes. And after that time, he freed himself by killing his mount. No word on this by a GM afterwards either. No appology, nothing.

In Mortal, you have to watch where you're going. If you're flagged grey and you cross a nodeline while a GM is watching, you may be banned for a month, even if there's nobody chasing you. Nodeline exploitation in the middle of the wilderness. You didn't place the nodeline there and you think it's an annoying dent in the "one world / one server", but you have to pay attention to it. In other words, playing Mortal feels like you're walking on a building site with sharp objects and nails sticking out everywhere.

There's some mishmash rules about exploitation and "gamma hacking" that not even the lead GMs know or care to find about and you're basically at the GM's mercy at whatever you do. Using a yellow flag to transport stuff is sometimes okay, sometimes you get banned for a week. Other times, you can use yellow flags in events to win without resistance while a GM watches, nods and agrees. (http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/320193/Scavenger-Hunt-in-MO.html) Other times you're a cheater and he'll unban you and give you 7000 gold.

I'm typing this out in full length to make the following point: Try to find this crap in a game of the "big" companies that you're comparing SV to. Their reputation and the result of their work aren't a question of money. Everyone starts small.

Mortal delivers false promises (up to blatant lies and fraud(!!!) - boxed edition, "hundreds of skills", test server, content of Dawn..), game-breaking bugs like items still randomly disappearing from backpacks after a year. It struggles to fulfill even its lowest claims to be a sandbox as it's nothing more than a very fragile deathmatch arena with a bit of resource grinding behind it.

This isn't a question of money. Mortal has actually failed due to bad customer support, bad PR, bad community management, bad marketing, a terribad expansion, corruption scandals, the boxed edition fraud, the billing non-subbed accounts thrice fraud, and miserable software development. As far as I've heard, the one thing that Henrik Nyström has enough of.. is money. (And if he didn't have enough he would probably try to earn some - but nah. Obviously that's not the case.)

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Originally posted by alanismajere

Theres a few points here let me list what i think:

Guys this is not SONY or some other big named company that produces a game and has unlimited resources.  With this intern they are building the game from the ground up learning from their mistakes.  They do the best they can with the limited resources they have.  Being a smaller company just starting they can make a dent in a niche market which they are trying to do just as DF has and wurm etc... Sony or any other big company wont invest in a niche market like UO did back in the day.  Back then their was more of a market for it as there wasnt to much around.

The game releases and gets subscribers to help fund them and keep them ahead. The company isnt rich and cannot support themselves without releasing the game and getting some subs.  You have to understand this and provide feedback to the devs so they can work on what they need to.  A sandbox game is no easy task.  There is 20x more things to implement and get off the ground than a standard MMO like wow.  There are so many systems and things that have to work together to get things going.  And i gotta say they had to start somewhere and release was rocky but thats to be expected from a company starting up and needing funding. DFO was the same way. In a years time they have done great work from where they were.

In time things will continue to get better, UI will improve, and game mechanics will get better.  Realize that sandbox is a niche market and if its what you want stay and play, if its not go away.  If you stay communicate with the devs let them know what you think so they know where to go with the game. 

As far as comparing against DF its tottaly differnt.  DF is more PVP based.  Theres not much else to it.  The crafting sucks, combat is fun i'll admit, but the 3rd person is done horrid (but sometimes its nice to go 3rd person but with sneaking etc... i dont agree with it since there is no true hide).  Just like SV DF is working on their UI, pve, offline meditation etc... Both games are fun in their own perspective.  I personally get tired of the grind in DF as well as the lack of doing what i want.  Really in DF your gridning to be able to compete in PVP.  Theres no true building houses, bridges, communities etc... There is limited with standing up your town but its very limited and you dont have the freedom you do in MO for creating gear etc..

I'm not saying everyone should like SV and their MO.  But they should give them credit for standing the game up, getting subs and improving on the game as they can.  It will only get better.  DF has done the same thing.  DF is a great game and so is MO in its perspective. 

I think this article might put to rest the "it's an indy company" excuse for the games condition:  http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/5163/Grinds-My-Gears-On-the-Subject-of-Indy-Games.html

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

My favorite line out of the "indy article"

"It’s hard to put a realistic price tag on that. The brutal reality is though, if you can’t offer the same kind of service that the $14.99 a month crowd offers, then don’t try to compete with them. Make your advantage a lower price."

I have said before If MO had a sub of maybe $5 a month then I would not have as much problems with it.  They dug the hole they are in.  No on made them try and make a game with ZERO experience in doing so.  I really hate when people use the indy company arguement, because you know damn well you would not support an indie food store or clothing store if they put out shoddy work. 

Another good line from the article that directly should be applied to Henrik is "If you can’t be sure your awesome and innovative idea can be done and done right, keep your mouth shut about it."

"it is going to be MO2" ???

Didn't henrik also say the new mount system will revoloutionize gaming??  All I see revolutionizing is how giant the horses are. 

Originally posted by RedRocket

The causality isn't "they don't have money so their product can't be good", it's "their product isn't good so they aren't making money". Or in the case of Mortal, "they've had plenty of money but still nothing great has come out of it".

Mortal delivers false promises (up to blatant lies and fraud(!!!) - boxed edition, "hundreds of skills", test server, content of Dawn..), game-breaking bugs like items still randomly disappearing from backpacks after a year. It struggles to fulfill even its lowest claims to be a sandbox as it's nothing more than a very fragile deathmatch arena with a bit of resource grinding behind it.

This isn't a question of money. Mortal has actually failed due to bad customer support, bad PR, bad community management, bad marketing, a terribad expansion, corruption scandals, the boxed edition fraud, the billing non-subbed accounts thrice fraud, and miserable software development. As far as I've heard, the one thing that Henrik Nyström has enough of.. is money. (And if he didn't have enough he would probably try to earn some - but nah. Obviously that's not the case.)

Quoted for truth.

I actually enjoy the game.  I don't play it as much as I want to because my internet connection sucks.  And it really sucks to get thieved or ganked and lose everything while lagging.   When I get better internet (which may be in time for the next ice age), I will be playing this game alot.

That said, one of my biggest peeves with this company is its customer service.  It's noteably worse than other MMOs.  I went through months of paid subscriptions before I could even get the game to run.  The emails from the service department were less than satisfactory.  I recently had a problem with dissappearing stuff and was told that I accidently deleted it.  I don't care what your business is, if you fail to take care of your customers, you will fail.

I want this game to succeed, truly do, but I am not sure Starvault knows what they are doing well enough to put it together.

TSW, LotRO, EQ2, SWTOR, GW2, V:SoH, Neverwinter, ArchAge, EQ, UO, DAoC, WAR, DDO, AoC, MO, BDO, SotA, B&S, ESO, 

Just one small example: you list pushing as info you need to hunt for, but the directions for how to push are located in the Combat section when you push H for Help in-game.

Overall, I think this is an area that SV can still improve in, though it's ultimately up to the players to use the information presented as well.

I agree, this is an area that Star Vault can still improve.  I would further the statement by saying that it NEEDS to improve in this area.

I guess I should clarify concerning my problems with /push.  Sure, it's right there in the Help menu, no dispute there.  My issue with push is the use of it.  Typing [enter] /push is slow and ineffective.  The macro system is complicated and useless for me (talk about unicorn hunting!).  The implications and effects of /push are myriad and sometimes seeminly random.

Part or me enjoys figuring this stuff out.  It's fun and part of the gameplay.  Part of me gets real frustrated having to spend long periods of time wrestling with the UI while my pockets are getting picked.

Originally posted by Hluill

I agree, this is an area that Star Vault can still improve.  I would further the statement by saying that it NEEDS to improve in this area.

I guess I should clarify concerning my problems with /push.  Sure, it's right there in the Help menu, no dispute there.  My issue with push is the use of it.  Typing [enter] /push is slow and ineffective.  The macro system is complicated and useless for me (talk about unicorn hunting!).  The implications and effects of /push are myriad and sometimes seeminly random.

Part or me enjoys figuring this stuff out.  It's fun and part of the gameplay.  Part of me gets real frustrated having to spend long periods of time wrestling with the UI while my pockets are getting picked.

I'm certain I'm missing something here, so I do apologize.  To push, however, you really just have to hold the right mouse button (like you're blocking), and then press the left mouse button, and you should execute a push.

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

Isn pushing broken now anyways?? It displays no animation when you push.