Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First True "mmorpg" (In the making) (Well not COMPLETELY first)

Comments

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Originally posted by -Jaguar-

The game is going to suck. The hype is from a bunch of fanboys that I'm guessing originally trolled the Roma Victor forum. Then someone decided since no one gave a crap about Roma Victor on MMORPG.com (for good reason) to infest these forums with their rampant support.

Exactly.

And a game company selling items created from thin air to players is the worst idea ever, making any earned items pointless and ruining any chance of a realistic player  driven economy.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• worldboy90worldboy90 Member Posts: 39

Hmm... well Yeah, i got most of your fears... First will they have all the features intended... Second will the revenue model suck... and last of all what about the graphics? But in the end, if this has all the features required, Im pretty sure this could work out to a decent level... Not like WoW or EQ2, but maybe the history level of EVE... if we could get 50k players playing thatd be nice... and dont say the death penalty is too hard... Now adays and always mmorpgs had the lightest death penalties... Take Wow for account.. If you die you just had to find you body as a ghost :-/...

Now in this it'll be interesting... I hope. Anyways, my hopes for making this good is... Turning into a real community with real problems, and solutions... Because unlike other games, the resources here in certain areas can run out (Supposedly). But yes, until they lift NDA, nothing could be really said. This game is taking big risks, and I support of thinking of new ideas =). Shit if that wasnt around, I wouldnt be able to be typing right now, and you wouldnt be able to read this :P. Like I said, this will either higher the expectations for many mmorpgs, or just fail.

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Originally posted by Jorev
    The game is going to suck. The hype is from a bunch of fanboys that I'm guessing originally trolled the Roma Victor forum. Then someone decided since no one gave a crap about Roma Victor on MMORPG.com (for good reason) to infest these forums with their rampant support.
    Exactly.
    And a game company selling items created from thin air to players is the worst idea ever, making any earned items pointless and ruining any chance of a realistic player driven economy.

I think the both of you are wrong.

We shall see.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

Originally posted by Crime
    If I can kill Jesus and Northmen, count me in.

lol, Amen to that... image

Joined - July 2004

• ThinmanThinman Member Posts: 461

As far as the complaints or suspicions about the hype "materializing out of thin air", it's because this is what the devs intended, for the first part of the dev cycle. They don't want very many players to start off.

Why?

Because they don't have the same development costs of other companies, because they are doing everything completely differently than 99% of companies do. They want to start off small so they don't have all of the problems that big companies do at the initial launch, such as overloaded servers, or unexpected bugs.

So they had basically little to no $ spent on advertising for the first few years, because they just wanted to focus on, get this, MAKING A GOOD GAME. They didn't want to waste money on inflating the public's sense of the game.

So now, they start doing little advertising things here and there (they don't have much $ for advertising), such as this contest on MMORPG.com, which probably didn't cost them much, if it did cost them anything. And the hype begins to build. This is the context BEHIND which this hype is building. Still suspicious?

Also, as far as suspicions about their track record, or whether they're really doing what they say they are, these devs are more about making a good game and investing real quality into it than any other currently running company.

You say that the graphics being low quality makes you suspcious, well what if I told you that they are intentionally not increasing the graphics at this point in order to be sure that any bugs that they need to iron out aren't due to the graphical elements of the game which eventually will be in. All of the eye candy, in other words.

Random speculation based on something that you haven't actually researched before coming to your conclusions will get you nowhere. And there's a lot of that in this thread.

Looking forward (cautiously) to: Age of Conan, Dark Solstice, Armada Online.

Will soon try: Guild Wars

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

• khragkhrag Member Posts: 184

Originally posted by Crime
    If I can kill Jesus and Northmen, count me in.

Yeah I'm all for killing Barbarians and fictional characters!

I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies; for the hardest victory is over self.
    --Aristotle

• Originally posted by worldboy90

Ok, I know I may be flamed on this, and blah blah blah.. But.. Anyways, I wish to talk about a game in the making, Roma-Victor.... Now, the only game that I could think of that comes near to this type of gameplay is probably EVE And A tale in the desert.... Now, this is the first game that doesnt force you to kill, nor quest, and is quite realistic.

What other mmorpg games have you played? Please list them. Only someone who has experience in as many mmorpgs as possible can say such a thing.

BTW, Anarchy Online was the first MMORPG that allowed players to play without ever having to kill a single thing, or quest. (I have not played UO, so perhaps a UO vet can comment on if this was ever possible in UO?). Next, Star Wars Galaxies is the king of allowing players to play without ever having to kill, or quest - if that is how they want to play. AO, and SWG, have both been out for years, and are both fully successful games. RV (Roma-Victor) is not even out yet. Has not proven to be a success. 

PLain and simple you live out the life of a roman with many new features. You dont have to lift a sword your whole life if you wish...... This whole game is based on possiblities.. You could actually become emeperor of rome... or the one who takes out rome itself... now... HEres the thing, its being made by a small team of professionals and to me seems very complicated to make. But I must say this will be the first mmorpg that wont be another "Magic and Dragons" clone..... OR some kind of sci-fi theme...

1. It IS along the lines of Dungeons and Dragons-themed, Tolkien-themed, swords & sorcery-themed. So far it looks like it will have very little to no magic, that is all. So it is just a variation of the swords & sorcery-theme.

2. The game is not out yet. You, me, no one, can say it IS about this or that, because no one will know for sure until the game releases.

3. If you study the esoteric (read the books by Zecharia Sitchen for starters, google 'peri reis map' and 'baalbek stones') then "sci-Fi" and "Swords & Sorcery" are the same thing. Next, "sci-Fiction" is fact, and what we see as sci-fact is light years behind real science that is not known by the public. One of the most famous "science fiction" authors in history even stated this! He said that what we call magic, is in reality superior technology that we do not understand, that ancient people did not understand. He also said in reality, science fiction has a looong way to go before it catches up to science fact.

Its a history based game, your expected to life a normal life and progress and prosper...

Then IMHO they are making one of the first mistakes SWG made. Setting a game in a timeperiod that everyone already knows what the outcome will be! Unless the game DEVs allow players to change the outcome LOL!

Natural resoures dispear and rebuild... Many animals to train... I mean you could make your own traveling circus if youd like...

Already done in SWG. image

And with such high death penalties, not many players will attempt to be gankers or even just fight whoever they see...

Sorry, but you are missinformed. Based on the history of PvP, there will always be players who will gank and fight whoever they see. These are the hardcore players, who play 12hrs, 18hours, a session, who will even buy 2 or more seperate accounts to have an edge.

for a regular character penalty is to go to the "afterlife", and depending on your deeds try to negotiate your way back..... And for a legend character it is a full loss... thats it, your dead......

I myself tried out for the contest to get into beta, but I doubt I will..

It sounds like an intresting game. And I already planned to check it out. But it is not at the top of my list of mmorpgs to check out.

Discuss image!

Grrrr... I often wonder why some feel they must "command" everyone to discuss? LOL! If others want to discuss, then they will decide to and post. image
  • worldboy90worldboy90 Member Posts: 39
    Ok... FIrst of all.. I barely played any mmorpgs, a complete new fan to the series... probably started back in.. november... then I got wow... quit after 2 months of complete boredom :-/... i have played a bunc of free ones such as pristontale... hm..tibia(not for long)... and some other ones that I cant think of.... AnywAYS... maybe these other games do have some of these interesting things, I guess I just never bothered to do research on every mmorpg =). I just think... If this game goes fine, it'll start settin the bar limit higher for other mmorpgs... I mean Wow was just a basic repeat of every other mmorpg (or so I heard ;))... But eh.  Btw.. your allowed to change history in this one :D.. they set you off in a time period.. and then you make history as you wish =). I mean... I plan to be a barbarian merenary... first Im gonna set up a hut in a secret area... build up my skill there... and eventually venture out into the rest of the world and try to set up a mercenary guild =)... And Im gonna tame  a wolf to help me along the way image.
  • ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Originally posted by EvilC
    The game is going to suck. The hype is from a bunch of fanboys that I'm guessing originally trolled the Roma Victor forum. Then someone decided since no one gave a crap about Roma Victor on MMORPG.com (for good reason) to infest these forums with their rampant support.What's scary is that this statement could be applied to pretty much any MMO...

Yeah but for games like WoW and EQ2, the amount of players is so abundant that they were mostly already here. They didn't have to migrate suddenly to these forums like these Roma Victor folks appeared to do. Plus I mean EQ2 and WoW looked a hell of a lot better than Roma Victor, at least they had something to argue about other than "IT HAS GREAT CONCEPTS THUS IT WILL BE GREAT." *cough* Mourning *cough*

• InstagoInstago Member Posts: 109

The only thing I can say is that I definately will be giving Roma Victor a good look if/ when I get to play it :).

• DranzerDranzer Member Posts: 13

This game seems nice and i might try it out. I don't kno why people keep flaming this. This topic is for peope to discuss this game and maybe attract new people who have not known of this game yet not comparing it to how better this game is to others or how WOW beats the crap out of this game. So to continue on topic. I might be a rich barbarian trader or a barbarian military leader ::::02::. So what do you plan to do?

• SetekhSetekh Member Posts: 67

Ok so... firstly its nothing like GW. Its not really free, theyre trying to allow everyone to play, but they will still be making money of the IG money they sell. (its an awkward system, but theyre giving it a shot... if it fails they can always switch back over to regular subscriptions). You don't have to buy  money, you can earn it... but I have a feeling it will be balanced enough that at times you might like to buy it. ANYWAYS, its not GW.

Secondly, people flame this game b/c of graphics. Well, for all I care crappy graphics keep the WoWzerz away, so I don't care if they upgrade them:) (but they will, since its still in earlier testing). Personally I'm anxious to check this game out, and hopefully they can make some capital and expand their company a bit (which helps the players alot).

So yah, this game is something to watch... ill be checking it out.

• Rune9Rune9 Member Posts: 10

Let's face it, it's just going to be like every other MMORPG.  We're going to love it for 2 months then leave it and whine about how much it sucked for the next 3 years.  Our generation is too A.D.D. for MMORPGs to succeed.  Look at the results... the best MMORPGs still have a slew of haters.  We've even created a derogatory term "fanboi" for people who actually like the games we hate so much.

It's always the same, before it comes out everyone builds up a game they 'think' they will be playing when that particular game is released.  Then the hype builds up and their expectations rise above what the game can actually offer... then the game is released and a couple months later and a bunch of people find bugs or something un-likeable then you have a mass of pissed off computer geeks shouting "DEATH TO *Insert company name here*!!!!"  LOL... and you all know it's true too!  This is a pattern that people aren't catching on to.

I have enjoyed the MMORPGs I have played so far but some people just don't like the ones they have chosen to play at all and they hate it will all their being. :p  I mean if some people dislike MMORPGs that bad, why do they even bother?  I mean after their 3rd mmo they dislike, they should start catching on that they arent MMORPGamers.  I think that's why there are 'fanbois' because some haters hate a game so much that they will try scaring away people who might actually like the game and that ruins the experience for the 'fanboi.'  Without lots of other gamers whats the point?  It would just be a MORPG by then. 

Maybe we, the MMORPG gamers, as a whole are just too damn vocal.  Roma Victor doesn't look like something I will like at all, but I haven't really played it so I can't tell you if it will be good, or bad.  All I can say is I probably won't like it.  Maybe I'm just rambling, but that is my take on the situation as a whole.  Ok, you can flame me now. image

Originally posted by Rune9
    Let's face it, it's just going to be like every other MMORPG. We're going to love it for 2 months then leave it and whine about how much it sucked for the next 3 years. Our generation is too A.D.D. for MMORPGs to succeed. Look at the results... the best MMORPGs still have a slew of haters. We've even created a derogatory term "fanboi" for people who actually like the games we hate so much.
    It's always the same, before it comes out everyone builds up a game they 'think' they will be playing when that particular game is released. Then the hype builds up and their expectations rise above what the game can actually offer... then the game is released and a couple months later and a bunch of people find bugs or something un-likeable then you have a mass of pissed off computer geeks shouting "DEATH TO *Insert company name here*!!!!" LOL... and you all know it's true too! This is a pattern that people aren't catching on to.
    I have enjoyed the MMORPGs I have played so far but some people just don't like the ones they have chosen to play at all and they hate it will all their being. :p I mean if some people dislike MMORPGs that bad, why do they even bother? I mean after their 3rd mmo they dislike, they should start catching on that they arent MMORPGamers. I think that's why there are 'fanbois' because some haters hate a game so much that they will try scaring away people who might actually like the game and that ruins the experience for the 'fanboi.' Without lots of other gamers whats the point? It would just be a MORPG by then.
    Maybe we, the MMORPG gamers, as a whole are just too damn vocal. Roma Victor doesn't look like something I will like at all, but I haven't really played it so I can't tell you if it will be good, or bad. All I can say is I probably won't like it. Maybe I'm just rambling, but that is my take on the situation as a whole. Ok, you can flame me now. image

While it is true that cynical people dominate on a lot of forums, it's also true that just because there are cynical people in the world, does not eliminate the fact that 90% of MMOGs today don't innovate, and don't try to move forward in any real sense with the genre.

This is a large part of why people get tired of every MMOG that comes out. Because basically, it's been played before by them, in a different, but at the same time quite similar, form.

It can also be said, that RedBedlam is going about things completely differently than those non-innovating companies go about things.

Some people may be expecting too much from the game, but there's a lot of things that can be expected from it, which haven't been done before, and which may turn out to be very stimulating aspects of the game.

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

• humantycoonhumantycoon Member Posts: 63

The only features I really care about are there combat system, the fact anyone can raid any building and burn it to the ground, and open pvp with full looting.

• MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368
    Five bucks says this game never makes retail.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282
    i'm more than willing to take that bet.
  • darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by humantycoon

The only features I really care about are there combat system, the fact anyone can raid any building and burn it to the ground, and open pvp with full looting.

Yeah, this game won't attract the hardcore gankers...no, not at all...

Originally posted by darquenblade
    The only features I really care about are there combat system, the fact anyone can raid any building and burn it to the ground, and open pvp with full looting. Yeah, this game won't attract the hardcore gankers...no, not at all...

From what I understand, doing the types of things that gankers would do makes life very hard for the person doing those things in the game.

When you die, you have to spend some time in elysium and complete some trials to get back to life.. if you do the types of things that gankers do, you can expect to be there for a long time, I've heard as much as 1 day of in-game time. During that time, you can't improve your character or make money. And your built up resources in the living world can easily be plundered by anyone walking by. So no, it most likely won't attract hard-core gankers, at least not after a couple of days of game-time, after they find out what happens if they do that type of thing.

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by Thinman

Yeah, this game won't attract the hardcore gankers...no, not at all...

From what I understand, doing the types of things that gankers would do makes life very hard for the person doing those things in the game.

When you die, you have to spend some time in elysium and complete some trials to get back to life.. if you do the types of things that gankers do, you can expect to be there for a long time, I've heard as much as 1 day of in-game time. During that time, you can't improve your character or make money. And your built up resources in the living world can easily be plundered by anyone walking by. So no, it most likely won't attract hard-core gankers, at least not after a couple of days of game-time, after they find out what happens if they do that type of thing.

Hopefully you're right =)

From what I've read of this game, it will be EXCELLENT if all features work as intended, but it could also be a very horrible experience if said features are implemented poorly.

Originally posted by Thinman Originally posted by darquenbladeOriginally posted by humantycoon The only features I really care about are there combat system, the fact anyone can raid any building and burn it to the ground, and open pvp with full looting.
    Yeah, this game won't attract the hardcore gankers...no, not at all...From what I understand, doing the types of things that gankers would do makes life very hard for the person doing those things in the game.
    Hopefully you're right =)
    From what I've read of this game, it will be EXCELLENT if all features work as intended, but it could also be a very horrible experience if said features are implemented poorly.

It definitely is a delicate balance that has to be reached for RV to succeed and be everything that it can be. They seem to be up for the job.. here's to hoping!

• NanuvenNanuven Member UncommonPosts: 32

First off, I think that if this game succeeds, it will set the bar for the amount of customability (not a word but it should be) avaible in a single game.  I have been looking at this game for awhile (not avidly looking at their boards mind you) and it seems to appease to me. 

Personally, I do not care about the "Five year old graphics".  If RV has the amount of content that RedBedlam's website proclaims it to have I would not really care much if there were stick figures fighting.  I guess it comes down to someone liking a really hot girl who doesn't know a pencil from a fork, to a girl of adverage beauty who has a great sense of humor and is smart beyond reason.  Sure people will pick the hot girl at first, but after a few months of her stupidity, who would you REALLY choose?

• absharabshar Member Posts: 33

I would just like to add that for anyone who wont play due to graphics is that in every screenshot the graphics and effects have been turned down or off(in case of effects)

• SetekhSetekh Member Posts: 67

"The only features I really care about are there combat system, the fact anyone can raid any building and burn it to the ground, and open pvp with full looting. "

I do think Roma Victor is doing alot of cool new things... but this is not new. If you like open pvp with full looting and the ability to burn any building to the ground... Join Shadowbane. I think Shadowbane is a great game, it just needs some more players. The community is big enough for me, but some people would prefer a bigger one... so join up if you like those kind of systems!

• CaptainQCaptainQ Member Posts: 21

Hey is it that customizable where you can actually do something like start an underground organization that tries and overthrows the government because if that's possible then i'd so be the leader of that group. Just because the idea of that would be so cool even if the ruler was a good guy at the time it would still be cool and i'd so be the leader of that group.image 

GLORY TO THE REBELS! hehe