Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: E3 2011: Neverwinter Overview

12346»

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Pedrob

It's sad, but look at STO, that's what Cryptic does to great IP's.  No matter the potential, all the content, lore, history, or anything that makes the IP great.  Cryptic does not know how to deliver and maintain a MMO to match the IP.

I love ST and gave STO a fair chance but...sigh.  One of the biggest mistakes they made was hiring the folks that killed Hellgate.

Bill Roper originally had nothing to do with STO; he was lead on CO during STO's development and launch. He only was put incharge of STO briefly, after it had launched.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• FeverfewFeverfew Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by Xexv

Why is the Neverwinter coming out of the guys nose?

Lol! Didn't notice that xD

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by tmr819

Boy, people do have short memories. I played Neverwinter Nights 2. Virtually *anything* Cryptic comes up with will be an improvement over that game. And Neverwinter Nights 1 was even worse than NW2, imo.

There are four games in the pipeline I am looking forward to playing: SWTOR, GW2, TSW, and Neverwinter. These are all very different types of games, granted, but I think in some ways I am looking forward to Neverwinter the most.  It sounds, of all of these games, like the truest successor to GW1 in terms of game structure (i.e., it's a heavily instanced CORPG with Heroes, just like GW1), and GW1 is one of the most enjoyable online games I've ever played.

The ability for players to create content, the D&D/Neverwinter IP, the CORPG structure, the instancing. Damn. Neverwinter sounds just about perfect. Yeah, it's Cryptic, I know, and depth/story are not their strong suit. But, still, Neverwinter sounds like a lot of fun to me. I am looking forward to it.

____________________________________________________________________________

Ages ago I was a staff designer for TSR. Co designed D&D Companion and did numerous modules etc.. Now retired, no, really retired, I am 65. Still a gamer and started PnP in 1976. NWN certainly has my attention of course. I tried DDO but it simply left me flat, and I certainly love D&D.

Along with this poster, tmr819, I am looking forward to SWtOR, GW2 and TSW. I have played Champions Online and found the char creator to be outstanding but my main got to lvl 20 and I simply got bored. Alts (I love alts) were not fun on repeat so finally I switched to F2P version and still do not bother much. I have STO since Open Beta (I regret playing the OB now). It had the great char creator as well altho limited by the IP. I have played a main to Vice Admiral and have 6 other alts but now have found little desire to go back and continue playing. The game has a repetitive structure that is tiring eventually. The UGC gave me a boost because there are some really creative people out there. Was going to try it myself but it seemed more like work than the pleasure I had designing at TSR and Pacesetter Games.

NWN has little information out as yet. I will look forward to the CC of course, a strong Cryptic design. The UGC will still get a keen look as it's layout simply seems to be simpler and easier to use and I would look forward to designing 'modules' again. I believe that the IP may cause NWN to be sold as PTP but will soon become F2P. The millions of D&D players from the past will certainly be interested (I am) but only gameplay will hold that interest.

Love Fantasy, sci-fi and SWTOR and GW2 have my attention there. TSW is a real-time/horror/fantasy that has caught my attention. But NWN has my old allegiance (nostalgia) so I won't be able to at least give it a chance (invest money and time). I do realize that as I am old and retired I do have both the time and resources to play anything I want as much as I want, an advantage from working a lifetime. Gaming is my retirement hobby.

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

I've got a bad feeling about this title. Love the IP, it's Cryptic I'm not completely sure of. I sincerely hope my feelings are wrong.

• TorqiaTorqia Member UncommonPosts: 73

I  was wondering when this beloved IP would be made a "mmo" and then i learned cryptic would make it... i allmost cried.

That company must be insanely large to be able to spit out games as fast as they do and still keep some kind of development on the older releases.

I simpley cant belive they will be able to do it right this time given their track record. Never have a game company made so many overhyped, hollow, super bad games as that company. Damn this is sad.

• psycrospsycros Member Posts: 15

Champions Online is a game that could have been a better CoH, but ended up being a total wash.  Even when you subscribed, many chargen options still cost extra!  As if that's not bad enough, there's only one starting point and literally ONE quest line: if you've played one charater you've played them all.  Powers are unbalanced and relatively few in number.  And content, as many have noted, is sparse to say the least.  Ironically, CoH looked to be a much deeper game but its absolutely abysmal controls, cumbersome UI and dated graphics turned me off.  I have no interest in playing MMOs based on TV shows or movies, so STO will remain a mystery to me..but I'm sure it probably sucks too.

• psycrospsycros Member Posts: 15

Oh, and CO also has the worst lag of any MMO I've ever seen along with quite a few bugs that never get fixed.

• KillyoxKillyox Member CommonPosts: 424

I care less for graphic. I want engaging combat system and breathtaking storyline.

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

I hate myself now. When i saw this article i wrote it off as nothing until i realized IT IS GOD DAMNED AWESOME! I can be as sadistic as i want while making dungeons to butcher my friends in as they try to aqquire loot? OUT STANDING.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.

• VoxTrooperVoxTrooper Member Posts: 87

I also view the foundry as a godsend for content; how many MMOs fall flat due to lack of content? This is easily made player content. Thats money Cryptic will save and possibly incentive not to take the microtransactions up to 11.

It is best for the industry the MMO throne remains an dusty empty seat never to be filled.