Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I dislike about GW2

191011121315»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Meowhead

Originally posted by maskedweasel

I will be at PAX this year.  Demos are just a small part of the entire game.  

Most importantly what I wrote wasn't a review of anything,  and short previews of a demo build aren't cognisant of what to expect from a live game,  just a very small portion therein.  

You should spend your hour of playtime (Or whatever they give you) swimming underwater, so you can come back and complain about GW2 underwater stuff in a more informed fashion!

Well however much time they give me, I'll be spending it doing whatever they let me do.  

If they give me the option to try underwater combat then I'll definitely try it so I have something to complain about.  Hopefully SWTOR will be very close to release or I'll get a chance to play it elsewhere so I don't have to wait in line for that too.  That would be my whole day right there.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Am I the only one who thinks that before you can dislike something you should in this case actually have experiance in playing the game?

Seriously, every game might have things that some might like and some might dislike, but shouldn't you first be able to actually play the game and perhaps, just maybe you find out that the things you read you might have disliked are minor compared to the things the game actually offers that might suprise you?

Is it really that hard for today''s new generation of gamers to try and look what is offered instead of making topic after topic what game X might be missing? Don't know what it is with these new people into games, atleast that's what I think when people make topics like this to be new to games or this genre. Other wise experianced gamers will let you know their likes and dislikes after they actually have playing experiance.

Of course anyone can state their opinion but topics like this should be made with playing experiance from a released version of the game, then a topic like this could stand some ground, as it stands now it's just hollow with very low substance as it's build on hear say and reading instead of a full blown game experiance.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I'm generally a fan boy of Anet and subsequently all they've released about GW2 has me excited, however there are a few points in your list I do agree with, no one can build me the perfect game as it wouldn't be the perfect game for you and you and you....But as we are looking at concerns I'll join in :)

1) No Mounts:
    From an exploration point of view I think I'll miss having a mount and I would have liked to have been able to collect racial mounts BUT knowing what we do of Anet I would think that if they were doing mounts then they would have liked to push them beyond being just another form of transport, something probably far too time consuming when they know they just aren't necessary as far as travel goes. Maybe they'll come later as a patch, as is I can live without, not a game breaker for me just a wish list item.

2) Underwater Combat:
    I've never liked underwater combat, never found the added worry of breathing time an element of excitement, I always find it a pain. I agree when you say that its overground gameplay but with a z-axis, the thing I do like about it is that finally somebody managed to address the obvious flaw in all other games that overground skills don't usually make much sense under water. I'm going to look at it as being less about 'underwater' gameplay but more about having a new set of skills to play with and having the added complication of a z-axis, to me this addresses most of the problems I had with underwater gameplay

3) WvWvW Roundrobin Matches and Lack of Open World PvP:  
    For those that want it this will hopefully bring the server together and make it feel like we have a common cause beyond the PvE that supports it too. I am worried about the frequency of server hopping and hope that Anet build in enough to ensure that people aren't hopping around like crazy trying to be on the winning team. Lack of open world PvP I don't have a problem with, the original game never had it so I see absolutely no reason to have it in GW2, it's not part of the IP.

4) No opposing Factions, Everyone in your world is a friend:  
    If you're talking about PvP then see above, sure there is history to support a fair few feuds between the races and amongst them (My Charr's history with the flame legion is going to get other Charr questioning my allegiance), bring on the RP if you want faction conflict because again the IP was never about open world or inter faction PVP, there are alliance battles in Factions but instanced and away from the PvE content, as the original game grew it became more PvE focused because that's what its fans wanted, no suprise then they carried this forward.

I do share your concerns that being able to jump servers makes the population less knowable and accountable but it's like that in GW, you can jump from EU to International to US districts anytime but people tend to stay where their friends are and those who commit douchebaggery won't be worried about them wherever they are.

5) You get and A for Effort! :
    You get a D for making very little effort and a 'must try harder' as your reward, rewards are scaled according to contribution, I don't see the big deal in this.

6) Non Dynamic, Dynamic Events:  
    If anyone thinks that DE's are all about a continual ever changing world they will be disappointed, it would be nigh on impossible to create a true ever changing dynamic world which Anet have admitted and discussed, at least Anet are making the biggest effort we have seen so far to make the world more dynamic than the usual static environments we see in every other MMO, I'm thankful for that and think they deserve kudos for pushing it further than anyone else so far in a non sandbox game. My fears are the same that it won't feel that different when taking an alt through the same content but only time will tell the truth on that front. It's a positive step away from static questing and a further step than the other 'dynamic content' we are currently seeing (looks at Rift). Seems dynamic is this years buzz word, Funcom are using it a lot now for TSW, sick of hearing the word. As long as I'm enjoying the content and I'm immersed in it I'll be happy.

OP it is like you are wanting a completely different game than the IP was ever about hence your disappointment. I commend you though for starting this thread it's raised some interesting discussion (I'm ignoring the flames) and hopefully helped balance a few peoples expectations.

It's the game I'm absolutely the most excited about and looking forward to, I like Anet they have a great team and a great community track record, which is another reason why I have absolutely no surprise nor disappointment about them building a game that's even more geared to community than their last.

Horses for courses :)

• eowdaoceowdaoc Member Posts: 27
    I played DAoC for years without mounts. I think I'll be fine.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Reklaw

Am I the only one who thinks that before you can dislike something you should in this case actually have experiance in playing the game?

Seriously, every game might have things that some might like and some might dislike, but shouldn't you first be able to actually play the game and perhaps, just maybe you find out that the things you read you might have disliked are minor compared to the things the game actually offers that might suprise you?

Is it really that hard for today''s new generation of gamers to try and look what is offered instead of making topic after topic what game X might be missing? Don't know what it is with these new people into games, atleast that's what I think when people make topics like this to be new to games or this genre. Other wise experianced gamers will let you know their likes and dislikes after they actually have playing experiance.

Of course anyone can state their opinion but topics like this should be made with playing experiance from a released version of the game, then a topic like this could stand some ground, as it stands now it's just hollow with very low substance as it's build on hear say and reading instead of a full blown game experiance.

As an experienced gamer, its quite simple to list what I like and don't like without having to play a game, and/or by just watching something being played.  While experiences can change when you're playing a game,  my list never said that X, Y or Z wouldn't be fun,  it said I don't like them for the reasons listed and / or I just wasn't hyped over them.

Its like...  the new Marvel MMO coming out.  They said that you won't be playing your own character, you can only play iconic marvel characters.  I dislike that design decision,  and I didn't even play the game.  Having an opinion over features you have yet to experience is pretty common.   I've been playing games not JUST in this genre but in total for decades,  I think I'm more than qualified to make my own opinions on how I perceive whats been shown or said thus far.  

• OUT51D3ROUT51D3R Member UncommonPosts: 8

Originally posted by maskedweasel

1) No Mounts:

I don't care about this, personally.

2) Underwater Combat:

Don't care about this, and it's unlikely to be that big of a part of the actual game.  They just needed something that was mostly complete to use as an update, and this is what they chose.

3) WvWvW Roundrobin Matches and Lack of Open World PvP:  

Random open world pvp is nice when you're doing required pve.  What's even nicer is not being required to pve, and levelling via pvp instead.

Level in the mists, not in pve.  You'll have plenty of enemies there.

5) You get and A for Effort! :

As opposed to "whoever is best at the guild popularity contest mini-game gets the gear"?

6) Non Dynamic, Dynamic Events:  

I don't see how you think that the dynamic events are linear.  The appear to have multiple branches.  Each of the steps in the chain have multiple outcomes, leading to the next step being different.

• android_22android_22 Member Posts: 13
    Future norn player: Granted 70% of the races move fast on foot I can only imagine it be the humans who want their mounts XD Under water combat/exploration/travel looks better then I've seen in any other mmo. And your breathing apparatius fails once you lose life and you begin to drown. You then have to swim to the surface or you die.
  • android_22android_22 Member Posts: 13
    Also as one who is looking for more content. Combat is nore more varied as not only does your character fight differently in water but so do enemies. So one may think about wether to approach a mob under water or lure it onto land in order to gain an advantage.
  • xTalenTxTalenT Member Posts: 29

There is no use for mounts because of the teleport system. Focusing on necessary things like combat and art design are more important. Not mounts that are not needed. Not having an opposing faction will be a little bad because it is fun knowing that you have an enemy 24/7. Lacking an opposing faction may lower my excitement. But im still hella excited.