Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard or rift?

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Originally posted by ironfungus

Originally posted by Myrdynn

Originally posted by ironfungus

Not sure how well Vanguard runs, but Rift runs absolutely terribly. So there's that.

lol wut?

i run on max settings all the time, I have never lagged, never dc'd never even had a hiccup, ever

Really, what're your system specs, and what kind of frames are you getting? List your video settings as well.

Well I concur, Rift runs very well.

Perhaps you should list your system specs?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BarkopoloBarkopolo Member Posts: 46

Originally posted by skeaser

Vanguard: Deep RPG w/ low pop and no dev love

RIFT: Shallow RPG w/ high pop and dev love

Really up to you.

Edited for fat fingers.

I would add to it:

Vanguard = small pop, but really nice people.

Rift = Larger pop, but not so nice.

The best thing I can say about Rift is that a lot of the worst a$$hats on the WoW Emerald Dream server moved over to Rift. In my mind, that is a good thing.

"If I'm not enjoying the game from the beginning then why do I need to torture myself to get to "end cap" to see the "real" game? WTF? Why can't the WHOLE GAME BE THE REAL GAME" - TheExplorer
  • KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

I guess it depends what kind of player you are. I've played both and they both have thier strong and weak points. I for one love to explore and the world of Rift is just tiny and linear. Then again, as you stated VG can feel empty (which I actually like sometimes.. except when it's too empty). In terms of PVP Rift would be the definate winner; though its PVP is also instanced and far from stellar. As are all fo Rift's dungeons which can make the game feel like lobby-->instance land (and if I wanted to play good lobby games I'd time machine back to PSO). I had great fun in my 2 months of Rift, but the end came quickly. Which is not to say that that's necessarily bad. VG on the other hand I think you could play for a while, and compared to the horrid watch the bars move meaningless crafting in RIft VG has a much deeper system as well as the fun diplomat system. In the end I would say play VG IF (and it's a big one) you can find a nice guild.

cheers and good luck!

• dazedconfusedazedconfuse Member Posts: 67
    Less than 100 people at peak times is nowhere close to accurate. A few months ago, maybe, but not now. And it looks like the game is getting attention from soe again.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Vanguard in itself is a much better game than rift.. could go on for about why it is but.. sadly vanguards populaton is messed up.. SOE never gave that game the love it deserved..

I also wouldnt touch rift after beta testing it i soon realised it was just more of the same cookie cutter stuff.. but if you like games like wow and war then you will enjoy Rifts..

• ArchidArchid Member UncommonPosts: 210

Vanguard is... lets say more time consuming, challenging, has more content. Rift has great PVE too, but i'd still say Vanguard has better. Opinions for sure but yeah..  rift has much better population which vanguard lacks and so it will be harder to get groups formed for the harder dungeons / quests.

the best way to kill a troll is to FLAME ON! ...or with acid...

• viletotoviletoto Member Posts: 22

well, i chose vanguard over rift.  Vanguard is just so massive and I absolutely love not having instances.  rift seems like one of the worst for loading screens too, seems like everytime you zone the loading screen takes forever compared to other games.  the only thing i miss will be the high population in rift.  I did get in a good guild and there are always lots of guildies on and lots of guild chatter.  I finally got all done on the island and started on the mainland and i must say, I don't think I have ever played an mmo where every few steps i take I have to stop and just look around like i do in vanguard.  finally, I downloaded the game off of steam and got it for $9.99 with a free month, so I got the game and a month of gameplay for less than the cost of one months sub, so that was definitely a bonus.

I'm pretty sure i made the right choice going with vanguard over rift.  thank you all for your replays and helping me make an informed decision :)

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

Originally posted by viletoto

well, i chose vanguard over rift.  Vanguard is just so massive and I absolutely love not having instances.  rift seems like one of the worst for loading screens too, seems like everytime you zone the loading screen takes forever compared to other games.  the only thing i miss will be the high population in rift.  I did get in a good guild and there are always lots of guildies on and lots of guild chatter.  I finally got all done on the island and started on the mainland and i must say, I don't think I have ever played an mmo where every few steps i take I have to stop and just look around like i do in vanguard.  finally, I downloaded the game off of steam and got it for $9.99 with a free month, so I got the game and a month of gameplay for less than the cost of one months sub, so that was definitely a bonus.

I'm pretty sure i made the right choice going with vanguard over rift.  thank you all for your replays and helping me make an informed decision :)

+1

welcome to Vanguard.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by viletoto

I hope you enjoy your time in Vanguard, however, I have a feeling that within a a couple months, you'll lamenting over the fact that you will be unable to experience probably 75% of the game's content due to the lack of a population.