Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Eorzea re-design. Show your support.

2»

Comments

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

I don't like being herded into map corridors or having cliff boundry lines but I don't think it should be the focus right now.  Trust me I love open worlds to explore in any direction but I would much rather have a more responsive battle system.  After that navigating and making features obvious would be great.

Hopefully once they get the current game fixed up they can introduce jumping/swimming with a new area.  Then they can go back and smooth out the old areas to make traveling more "free".

Wow.

It's been more than half a year they still haven't fixed the UI. Maybe in 5 years.

• HomergdogHomergdog Member UncommonPosts: 95

Originally posted by FleshMask

I don't like being herded into map corridors or having cliff boundry lines but I don't think it should be the focus right now.  Trust me I love open worlds to explore in any direction but I would much rather have a more responsive battle system.  After that navigating and making features obvious would be great.

Hopefully once they get the current game fixed up they can introduce jumping/swimming with a new area.  Then they can go back and smooth out the old areas to make traveling more "free".

Wow.

It's been more than half a year they still haven't fixed the UI. Maybe Never. There fixed it for you ;)

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

If they want to make it better, just remove all the duplicate scenary. It'd make the world smaller, sure, but it'd make it feel more unique.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136

Wow.

It's been more than half a year they still haven't fixed the UI. Maybe in 5 years.

They've improved the UI response since I played at launch but it's not where it needs to be yet.  The auto attack video did give me hope.  In that video the time between clicking an ability and the animation starting was where it needs to be.  I still think the special ability animations themselves should be faster but since auto attack will replace manual strikes the animations should flow a lot better.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

As long as they have zero obstacles to challenge people from level 1 to 50 I will be steering clear of this game.  One of the best parts about FFXI was that the journy to max level was amazing.  Tons of obstacles and side quests, plus forced party play means you will meet some awesome people along the way. 

I never felt the excitement in FFXIV like I did in FFXI the first time I got chased down by Guivre.  I think that was a rite of passage for pretty much all players.

They did add side quests that I have seen in the cities and camps. They will show up on your mini-map when you get near them. I have been listening to the Crystal Core podcast to get an idea of what has changed since initial launch. I gathered that SE made changes to Bette grouping then made changes to make it less effective and they are adjusting some more this summer. One thing I thought was great from a group standpoint was that each Levequests when you start it has a difficulty rating for solo, group, raid, etc.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong. They did tweak the grouping aspect earlier this year. The problem was xp and sp gains made solo or small group more beneficial. They adjusted were the gain is better in groups.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

They did add side quests that I have seen in the cities and camps. They will show up on your mini-map when you get near them. I have been listening to the Crystal Core podcast to get an idea of what has changed since initial launch. I gathered that SE made changes to Bette grouping then made changes to make it less effective and they are adjusting some more this summer. One thing I thought was great from a group standpoint was that each Levequests when you start it has a difficulty rating for solo, group, raid, etc.

Edit: Looks like I was wrong. They did tweak the grouping aspect earlier this year. The problem was xp and sp gains made solo or small group more beneficial. They adjusted were the gain is better in groups.

The side quests for the most part are junk, almost feel exactly like leves but they come from a stiff NPC that pops up some random dialog. The crystal core guys tend to be fanboys, they say they have truely enjoyed the game since beta...where as 80% of the playerbase havent, so i wouldnt rely on them for a balanaced view. But even their podcasts, alomg with almost any left are either gone or rarely seen anymore.

As for the map re-do, a dev finally responded after 914 posts and apprently they have ahigh priority on fixing the maps, though it will take a long time. Of course with what i know as FFXIV update speed mean years.

Originally posted by zanfire

The side quests for the most part are junk, almost feel exactly like leves but they come from a stiff NPC that pops up some random dialog. The crystal core guys tend to be fanboys, they say they have truely enjoyed the game since beta...where as 80% of the playerbase havent, so i wouldnt rely on them for a balanaced view. But even their podcasts, alomg with almost any left are either gone or rarely seen anymore.

As for the map re-do, a dev finally responded after 914 posts and apprently they have ahigh priority on fixing the maps, though it will take a long time. Of course with what i know as FFXIV update speed mean years.

That's great that an official response was given and relayed from Yoshi. I see the view that your travels through the lands of 14 should have more flavor and landmarks. Yes you can level 1-50 in one kingdom but the others are there as well with the same range. Travel the lands. Unless you get caught by a wandering named you can travel to each kingdom at level 1. Visit the 1~ Aetherytes along the way to each city so you can port back at anytime. Do your leves in one kingdom and upgrade them in another. If you get tired of running content in LL then go level in Ul'dah for a while.

14's biggest drawback for me is knowing what's available to you and accessing it once you do. It's a game that doesn't hold your hand ATM but is to the extreme lol. Luckily SE is working on it and actually reaching out to the community.

I welcome the extra quests even if it's just an npcs story, not every one has to be part of your storyline. Every bit adds depth and you do get gear which is sometimes hard to come by. I'm not sure what you've listened to as far as Crystal Core but the opinions of the updates and states of the game had good and bad comments. It is optimistic however. No one would record edit and post podcasts if they didn't like the game. You can find #24-31b on iTunes.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

I pre ordered this game, played it a week and went right back to eq2. I was so bad at start I just could not deal with it. I would be willing to try it again if it did not cost me to do so though.

Originally posted by gekkothegrey

I pre ordered this game, played it a week and went right back to eq2. I was so bad at start I just could not deal with it. I would be willing to try it again if it did not cost me to do so though.

I made it two weeks lol.  Horrible to start but it's had some good updates since launch and a major one is coming, 1.18.  I'm looking forward to the new battle system.  I came back a couple weeks ago and I'm glad I did.  Parts of the game are still rough don't get me wrong but that's why SE isn't charging yet.  Table of past/present/future changes:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/11012-Letter-from-the-Producer-X-(05-20-2011)

• Chaotic16Chaotic16 Member Posts: 116

My support? Haha. I believe I gave my support during beta, when Squeenix did absolutely nothing but ignore all of us and our input.

• k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

Originally posted by Chaotic16

My support? Haha. I believe I gave my support during beta, when Squeenix did absolutely nothing but ignore all of us and our input.

My feeling exactly.

Originally posted by k11keeper

My feeling exactly.

Certainly would've saved all parties a lot of heartache and I might have stuck around instead of lamenting my purchase.

The reason I came back to play and see how XIV changes is what SE has done since thier horrible release:

• Publically aplogized

• Restructured the development team

• Released a series of player polls about major changes and is using the input

• Is directly interacting with the community on a constant basis

• Made the game free to those that buy it until it's good enough

I never had any hate for SE since the purchase was my fault, I beta tested it and thought I would enjoy it more than I did.  I will say I have more respect for SE now than a lot of other developers.

• Chaotic16Chaotic16 Member Posts: 116

My feeling exactly.

Certainly would've saved all parties a lot of heartache and I might have stuck around instead of lamenting my purchase.

The reason I came back to play and see how XIV changes is what SE has done since thier horrible release:

• Publically aplogized

I never had any hate for SE since the purchase was my fault, I beta tested it and thought I would enjoy it more than I did.  I will say I have more respect for SE now than a lot of other developers.

Sorry, but Squeenix deserves no respect. As a company they are completely incapable of making anything even remotely close to what Squaresoft was capable of. They released the game as a clunky, jumbled mess despite what their "valued customers" said and expected to get a profit. Money--not creativity--is what now drives the company, and they were only willing to listen to the players after they realized their game was not achieving the profit they so desired. 

My feeling exactly.

• Publically aplogized

Sorry, but Squeenix deserves no respect. As a company they are completely incapable of making anything even remotely close to what Squaresoft was capable of. They released the game as a clunky, jumbled mess despite what their "valued customers" said and expected to get a profit. Money--not creativity--is what now drives the company, and they were only willing to listen to the players after they realized their game was not achieving the profit they so desired. 

There is a lot of opinion stated as fact here but I agree that it was made clunky and still is to an extent.  Hopefully 1.18 will improve this.  Unless you have inside information against this 80% of Square's employee base was kept on after the merger.  Yeah, the development team did ignore the outcry of fans and they paid for it.  Do you really think the box sales they got up front equals even 1/2 of what a monthly sub base of the same size would be?

Was it wrong to release a game that the beta testers said sucked? Yep.  Are they doing everything in their power to make it right? I personally think so.  I however am willing to be patient while they are fix their mistake and will enjoy a quality free sub game.

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

My feeling exactly.

• Publically aplogized

There is a lot of opinion stated as fact here but I agree that it was made clunky and still is to an extent.  Hopefully 1.18 will improve this.  Unless you have inside information against this 80% of Square's employee base was kept on after the merger.  Yeah, the development team did ignore the outcry of fans and they paid for it.  Do you really think the box sales they got up front equals even 1/2 of what a monthly sub base of the same size would be?

Was it wrong to release a game that the beta testers said sucked? Yep.  Are they doing everything in their power to make it right? I personally think so.  I however am willing to be patient while they are fix their mistake and will enjoy a quality free sub game.

What I don't understand was how that UI even made it to alpha/beta to begin with.  Was there not a single person on the dev team that said "this UI is atrocious."  For a company that has been at the forefront of rpgs as long as SE, screwing up this badly on the UI alone is embarrassing.

• FleshMaskFleshMask Member UncommonPosts: 249

My feeling exactly.

• Publically aplogized

Wow, that was alot like buying steak at your super market and getting E Coli, and saying it was your fault for buying it.

You are not to blame, and SE should take the total blame for this upset. They advertised it as a finished product, under a major name "Final Fantasy" and released unfinished work with listening to testers feedback. Very few knew how bad this taint was... and hit us all like the smell of 4 month urine jars.

They still need to apolgise forever... in my opinion...

In fact they should apologise for everything awful in this world, the economy, Rebecca Black, Aids....

My feeling exactly.

• Publically aplogized

Wow, that was alot like buying steak at your super market and getting E Coli, and saying it was your fault for buying it.

You are not to blame, and SE should take the total blame for this upset. They advertised it as a finished product, under a major name "Final Fantasy" and released unfinished work with listening to testers feedback. Very few knew how bad this taint was... and hit us all like the smell of 4 month urine jars.

They still need to apolgise forever... in my opinion...

In fact they should apologise for everything awful in this world, the economy, Rebecca Black, Aids....

I recently found out about miss Black and now I'm pissed at SE. Luckily the song is out of my head and urges to kill have subsided.

I say it's my fault because I beta tested it and knew how rough it was. I ate the meat and bought the whole side even though it upset my stomach. I thought it would still be fun but it wasn't. Now, after playing so many linear clones, I enjoy XIV with the changes they made and I am looking forward to them making it even better like they should have. 

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by zanfire

Over on the offical forums there is a VERY long thread about re-doing FFXIVs dull, oversized, empty feeling zones. Its up to 50+ pages, 500+ psosts and over 17,000 views.  And the crazy thing? Everyone seems to be in agreement. The not so crazy thing? Its been up since last Tuesday and we haven't seen a Dev responce since. So if you have any thoughts about the subject or even have your own ideas for a map layout, post away and let the OPer know, he can link it on the first page for yah. Its almost unreal how many people are in 100% agreement over this (and knowing that most of the offical forums has been a warzone, mostly flooded with people relentlessly defending the game).

Here the link if you want to show some support and keep the thread on top until monday (they better get their crap together and say something early next week)

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/12971-One-to-Fifty-One-Zone-Long-OP

Also the more "likes" the OP has the longer it stays on the "hot threads" on the side bar. right now it has like 200+

That person's OP is brilliant. I agree with it 100%.

They capture the feeling of progressing and exploring through FFXI beautifully. I said "Yes!" and "Exactly!" out loud a few times reading through it.

I can relate particularly to Sarutabaruta as that was my starting nation and I had the same experience progressing through it and moving on. It's weird to explain, but when I first started out, Saruta felt like this massive place.. a world unto itself. Progressing into Tahrongi was that experience all over again. Coming back to Saruta to turn in mission 2-3, and riding back through Saruta on my chocobo, as a "mighty" level 25... it really, really had this great feeling, much like how the OP of that thread describes it.. of having "conquered" that zone.

No other MMO I've ever played (except L2 in its own way) has ever given that kind of experience before.

Will SE go back and re-do the zones that entirely? I'd like to think so... but I won't hold my breath.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Sorry I got to voice reality...

Even if they decided to go ahead and repair their copy/pasta work or can it for new terrain, you are looking at a year project.

It takes artists to be hired, interviewed, and rework the terrain... all of it....

They already have the artists, modelers, animators. SE has an army of graphics people. They've probably been working on new areas all along for future implementation. Highly unlikely they'd need to hire anyone else.

This isn't a weekend project, they need to render every stone, dirt-path, patch of grass, and tree.

It's not a minor task, but also not as involved as you describe. They have the boulders, cliffs, trees, grass, textures and so forth. What they need to do is revise how the areas are designed and structured.

They have a workable idea with the basic tiling approach they use. They use a similar approach in XI. The difference is, from what I can see, in XI they used much smaller chunks allowing for more variety and flexibility in layouts while avoiding the sense of repetition, and without increasing resource requirements. In XI, there are certain specially created "set pieces" that are unique and not used elsewhere.. However, those can be designed to fit in the overall grid setup used in the rest of the map. If you've ever worked with a tile-based map editor before, you've seen this in action.

In FFXIV, they went for the approach of using massive tiles which are each more detailed unto themselves, but also much more recognizable when re-used... which of course leads to the whole "copy pasta" thing.

If they could find a happy medium between XI's approach and XIV's approach, I think they could get a lot more milage out of it than with their current approach.

Yeah since they are really good at listening to players (auction houses, interfaces, and overall everything), you going to need to be reall really patient...

Well, yeah... "IF they would do it" is really what it boils down to. I think it's more likely they'd devise a different approach to creating the map tiles, or in how they break-down the regions to allow more unique tiles to be used.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

That's great that an official response was given and relayed from Yoshi. I see the view that your travels through the lands of 14 should have more flavor and landmarks. Yes you can level 1-50 in one kingdom but the others are there as well with the same range. Travel the lands.

You seem to have a rather oddly apologist mentality about something that is almost unanimously agreed upon - by players and the game's Producer himself - is a major problem with the game. I don't think I've ever seen a community - a global one at that - as united on an issue as people are on this one in FFXIV. At the least, I can't remember the last time I've witnessed it.

Yet you're making this almost glib suggestion to simply "travel the lands", as though it will somehow fix the problem...

Problem is, people have tried that. I've tried just that. Many have tried just that... out of sheer boredom of seeing the same exact landscape if nothing else.

Speaking for myself, I gave the game a second try with about as pure an "Adventurer/Explorer" approach to it as I think one could. I turned off all NPC and mob names to make it as immersive as possible. I used no guides for anything. I explored and adventured. I walked anywhere I could get to within 10 minutes on foot, avoiding using aetheryte to help maintain the "size" of the world in my exploration. I didn't power through leves, but did the ones I wanted to, when I wanted to, etc. etc. etc.

It lasted me about 2 weeks longer than my first go-around with the game, before I hit the same brick wall: that there simply is not that much unique content to see or do before you find you're doing and seeing more of the same.

There's only so much "traveling the world" you can do before you hit the inevitable fact that FFXIV is simply drastically lacking in variety when it comes to its environments. And it happens long before you get to level cap. I hit that wall before I was physical level 20.

Unless you get caught by a wandering named you can travel to each kingdom at level 1. Visit the 1~ Aetherytes along the way to each city so you can port back at anytime. Do your leves in one kingdom and upgrade them in another. If you get tired of running content in LL then go level in Ul'dah for a while.

This actually is another problem that's been acknowledged. The world is too safe. Unless you wander off the beaten trail and go looking for it, you're rarely ever going to run into trouble.  The only spot in XIV that consistently presented a challenge to me was at one of the choke-points heading toward the Shroud in Thanalan.. there's a higher level ant mob that would tend to hang around there and could aggro you if you didn't veer around it. Other than that... clear sailing.

Being able to travel everywhere at level 1 in relative safety, from low level areas all the way up to areas at or near level cap and never being in any real danger should never happen and doesn't happen, in any other such game I've ever played.

I got all the way to Ishgard at level 4 - in retail - and never encountered a single problem. I set out expecting to have to really test my "mob dodging" skills in Eorzea, only to find that the only challenge was not getting bored out of my mind before I got there and just teleporting back to town. Talk about an anti-climactic experience.

The world isn't dangerous enough in my opinion and, frankly, you being able to suggest what you do for people at level 1 as a viable option underscores that. Of course, Yoshi also commented in the past that the world seemed a bit too peaceful and quiet... something else he's, presumably, set out to address.

14's biggest drawback for me is knowing what's available to you and accessing it once you do. It's a game that doesn't hold your hand ATM but is to the extreme lol. Luckily SE is working on it and actually reaching out to the community. 

Ironically, that's one area I've never had any issues with. The game steers you toward where you need to be. Your NPC LS Pearl will glow with some new hints or info of where to go or who to talk to. You're told where to go and, if you don't want to look at it, the map will show you where it is. There's not a single quest I've done (in Limsa, Ul'dah or Gridania) that I had to look up or ask another player how to complete. FFXIV is actually pretty straight-forward and forgiving in that regard. Plus, now they have symbols over the NPCs heads, which removes even the necessity to talk to each one and find out if they're who you're looking for.