Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player Just tried this game!! It's GORGEOUS!!

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

The UI is garbage. . but so is DF's.

I like both games but even if they had a 2 page manual in PDF that you could print from the launcher it would go a long way.  Not so hard to do and would keep people in the game longer.

Personally I never read manuals and I play until I find out what I need to know and look that up specifically.  Defending the developers and saying it is "hand holding" to have a manual is a lame argument though.  I figured out most of my car stereo but I did need to look up a few things. . not having that option provided by the company is sad.

EDIT:  My point was to be that they are working on a new UI. . as is DF.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

True that.. If I had to chose, I am not even sure which is worse.. probably DF to be honest, with its hundred windows.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Toferio

True that.. If I had to chose, I am not even sure which is worse.. probably DF to be honest, with its hundred windows.

Yeah I love when I am knee deep in the ui after not playing for a few months and I get attacked.  Instinct kicks in and I end up in a crazy mess.  I would agree that DFs is worse.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

DF's is better, and the comparison doesn't mean it's great.  But even if MO is working on an better UI, their complete lack of third-person play is garbage to me.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Strange, i always thought the 3rd person view in darkfall looked poorly executed, its usually not a good viewpoint when your character model animations look wooden which it does. The melee in darkfall looks terrible tbh and everyone uses magic and archery in first person? so i see no reason for the 3rd person view point in darkfall.

At least MO's first person view is consistant. It is also rather well executed to.

But the view point is a matter of taste, it does not signify a worse game.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by JJOneway

Originally posted by Killswitch34

Getting mad at devs because you're to lazy to figure out the controls and UI? Pretty sad, why should every game have to hold your hand? If you can't handle the fact that you're all alone to figure it out, don't cry about it, it just shows what a child you are. That's one of the reason MO is a good game, no childish people play it because they can't handle how hard it is. Just actually have some initiative to look up a proper guide or ask someone to help you pretty simple. As for taming, it works just fine for me, it really isn't that hard to do.

That's ridiculous. So you think it's fine for a dev studio to make a game that forces people to find basic instructions on forums or YouTube videos made by other players? There's nothing childish about the OP's stance. He (like a lot of others I'm sure) believes that if he's going to pay money for a product, then said products manufacturers should have made at least the most cursory effort to ensure people know how to use it.

When will some of you "hardcore" crowd realise there's a big difference between not having golden exclamation marks and hand holding, and just being dumped in a game with the equivalent message of: "Off you go son, fill your boots" and nothing else? The OP isn't complaining about no quests or hand holding, but at not even being shown the most basic commands needed to play the game without scouring forums for player generated instructions.

If some of you had actually bothered to read the OP's post you would have seen that he's an MMO vet and a sandbox lover, just the sort of person who I'd think would be able to tell the difference between "hardcore" and simple lazy, clunky, arse-backwards design choices.

Please, we know you want hardcore sandbox games like MO to succeed, but that should never excuse laziness on the part of the Devs.

IMO, all instruction on how to interact with and within the game (controls, interface, interactions with NPCs, etc) should be accessible from inside the game in a clear and straight-forward manner. It should be a resource readily and easily accessible in the game's interface (a key command, a menu option, etc).

A player should never have to leave the game to resort to external, third-party resources - digging through forums, watching youtube vids, etc - to find out how the basic controls and interactions work.

Whether it's forgivable or not depends on the individual. Either way, though, there's nothing "hardcore" about a game lacking such basic things, readily, from inside the game. It's not an indication of the game being somehow "advanced" or "lacking hand-holding". It's lazy design. It's indefensible.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

i agree, there should be a proper ingame tutorial aimed towards new players added to MO, however i do understand the difficulties faced with such a task. The main problem with MO is its complexity and overly complicated ui. Simply put 90% of what the game has to offer is not reachable within the first few weeks of play meaning an instant tutorial would be unable to cover 90% of the function and features of the game since they are not accessible to the player. This of course isnt helped by the ui which is both confusing and clunky.

However it is certainly a matter of opinion and those players looking for a twitch based open world pvp full loot game have no other choice than to play this game. It isnt a simple case of oh well the game is broke ill play wow. Because wow and mo are nothing alike infact no game is like mo, not darkfall or UO. Having a poor tutorial and clunky ui certainly does not make a hardcore game and anybody who thinks so is of course a fool. But a fool would also say that MO thinks its hardcore due to its ui and lack of a tutorial. The palyers and devs understand the need for a tutorial and a better ui its all time constraints and priorities.

luckily though dawn added a much more indepth tutorial, which currently is abit buggy but hopefully once the bugs are ironed out will prove to be valuable to new players. The ui takes priority after the dawn patches which will hopefully be soon.

• lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by JJOneway

Originally posted by Killswitch34

Getting mad at devs because you're to lazy to figure out the controls and UI? Pretty sad, why should every game have to hold your hand? If you can't handle the fact that you're all alone to figure it out, don't cry about it, it just shows what a child you are. That's one of the reason MO is a good game, no childish people play it because they can't handle how hard it is. Just actually have some initiative to look up a proper guide or ask someone to help you pretty simple. As for taming, it works just fine for me, it really isn't that hard to do.

That's ridiculous. So you think it's fine for a dev studio to make a game that forces people to find basic instructions on forums or YouTube videos made by other players? There's nothing childish about the OP's stance. He (like a lot of others I'm sure) believes that if he's going to pay money for a product, then said products manufacturers should have made at least the most cursory effort to ensure people know how to use it.

When will some of you "hardcore" crowd realise there's a big difference between not having golden exclamation marks and hand holding, and just being dumped in a game with the equivalent message of: "Off you go son, fill your boots" and nothing else? The OP isn't complaining about no quests or hand holding, but at not even being shown the most basic commands needed to play the game without scouring forums for player generated instructions.

If some of you had actually bothered to read the OP's post you would have seen that he's an MMO vet and a sandbox lover, just the sort of person who I'd think would be able to tell the difference between "hardcore" and simple lazy, clunky, arse-backwards design choices.

Please, we know you want hardcore sandbox games like MO to succeed, but that should never excuse laziness on the part of the Devs.

Thank God someone read my original post in it's entirety rather than cut+paste same response over and over assuming I'm randomly flaming this game. I'd love to like this game. I'd love to see it succeed as a fully fledged and polished MMO.  

I believe at the very minimum a simple two page manual would have kept me in.  Basic commands, gameplay mechanics, ect. Not a wiki.  Not a guide or in-depth look at crafting.  Not spawn locations.  A simple guide on how to interact with the game.   Off you go.

That's all.   The fact that the developer doesn't bother to make one is telling of the rest of the game.  Honestly, it's telling me the developer tends to half-ass items of importance.

There's a ton of MMO's out there to play.   If my first four hours are spent trying to turn the UI into something usable or spent figuring out the most BASIC of gameplay instead of spending 5 minutes and read a simple manual, you WILL lose customers. 

Impressions are important.  Perhaps the most important thing of all to an MMO. Without subs a game will die.  Without  players it's no longer an MMO. I described my first impressions in my original post, Mortal Online players rush to defense of their game without reading original post, and yet another trial account doesn't turn into a paying account.

There's better shit out there. Sorry.  Perhaps one of you shall make a starter guide.  Either way untill the developer decides to make an official one, I'm out.

Since some of you decide to respond without following thread or reading my posts, I highlighted some keywords to make it easier for you to follow. 

i agree with you that the devs should make a pdf or some sort of manual for the game. People have been asking for once since beta and there still isnt one. They have black opal who works on promoting organing media for the game, why doesnt he spend some time making vido tutorials or a proper manual for MO? its certainly needed right now and since theres been little to no new media currently. It makes me wonder what exactly hes supposed to be doing with his time.

dont get me wrong i truely enjoy MO, but i believe that if i hadnt paid money for the game originally then i would of quit and never returned after the first few days simply due to WTF how do i play this game? and this ui is damn awful. Basically the knowledge of me paying money for the game forced me into playing through the awful beginings and actually discovering the ture game.

People playing on a trial are being instantly put off by a lack of guidance or tutorial and they dont have the problem of paying money for MO so are not felt pressured to keep playing through learning the basics.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

*rolleyes* The game's mechanics are garbage... takes 5 minutes to figure that out.

Nowadays though, the bitter-jaded-elitist-ass-1995-ruled-crowd will do anything to make you believe that, if you wanna be aknowledged as one of the select few "real gamers" out there, you will have to swallow every shit joke of programming some backroom indy developer throws at you and praise it as "finally some challenging bit of gaming software".

you know guys, there's a difference between a "challenging game" and "challenged game". And MO is definitely the latter.

M

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by deathshroud

but the ui is a palceholder or so the devs keep telling us. Hopefully that means in the near future one that makes sense will be patched in.

Umm... the game is over a year old now.   The "placeholder" excuse no longer flies...  nor does it apply to the AI, or the magic schools, or Tindrem... or anything else promised ages ago but never delivered.  This is a game that they tried to say was going to be ready to launch in Summer 2009 (They said this in Spring 2009).  It's now Summer 2011.  They need to stop making excuses and fix the basics.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

its certainly challenged, but how many mmos offer anything disimilar to WOW nowadays that dont suffer from both bad programing and lack of funds? the vast majority is my answer. Whilst for those mmo enthusiasts who love nothing more than to group together to do a raid instance for the 90th time are well catered for with games like aoc, wow, lotro, eq, eq2, rift and a zillion korean mmos. The mmo fanbase who want something more resembling a virtual world are left with little else. Had blizzard taken a risk and developed an mmo that was more of a sandbox rather than a copy and paste of eq the world of mmos would have been a hugely different place. The main problem here is big companies do not take chances, they steal the ideas of the smaller companies and indie developers and polish it but they do not attempt anything new.

• MoreplexMoreplex Member Posts: 472

its certainly challenged, but how many mmos offer anything disimilar to WOW nowadays that dont suffer from both bad programing and lack of funds? the vast majority is my answer. Whilst for those mmo enthusiasts who love nothing more than to group together to do a raid instance for the 90th time are well catered for with games like aoc, wow, lotro, eq, eq2, rift and a zillion korean mmos. The mmo fanbase who want something more resembling a virtual world are left with little else. Had blizzard taken a risk and developed an mmo that was more of a sandbox rather than a copy and paste of eq the world of mmos would have been a hugely different place. The main problem here is big companies do not take chances, they steal the ideas of the smaller companies and indie developers and polish it but they do not attempt anything new.

There are sandbox games out there that work.  So you do not have to choose between a poorly funded bug riden wanna be sandbox over WoW.  In my opinion MO is not much of a sandbox it has very little sandbox tools and most of the ones they do have are placeholders.  I love sandbox games UO, EVE. Shadowbane being my favorites.  How come I do not like MO?  I will tell you it is because when I play it, it has the feel of some highschool UE modders are making it.  I am so so sorry I can not over look the glaring clunkyness of the game nor the non exsistent pve and the AI of the pve.  Or the fact the company destroys the game for weeks after any patch.  I do not care if they are poorly funded or lack experience.  They are the ones that decided to make a game and get into the market.  No one made them be under funded or not educate themselves better. 

i have played UO and eve, both a great and indeed superior to MO. but they do not off twitch based gameply. EVE is great i played it since release but imo it is way to complex for casual play. UO is as old as time, its a great game and i would recommned it to anyone who wants a virtual world (TSA) but i have had mny fill of both of these games.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

It means well, but it's a classic case of no "sand" in the sandbox.  It needs a hell of a lot more Environment to make it feel like a living world, at the moment it's like a Potemkin MMORPG.

Plus it's pretty glitchy and buggy.

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

The main problem with MO is its complexity and overly complicated ui. Simply put 90% of what the game has to offer is not reachable within the first few weeks of play meaning an instant tutorial would be unable to cover 90% of the function and features of the game since they are not accessible to the player.

What are these things the game has to offer? Veteran players say there is PvP and .... that is it. Just look at all the posts on the official forum from vets saying they have quit till there is actually something to do ingame. I guess you could be a full time crafter, which means spending most of your game time /yelling in a town for customers.

those players looking for a twitch based open world pvp full loot game have no other choice than to play this game.

They have choices, but you just refuse to acknowledge them. You've been constantly redefing this proposition for months and it still ain't true.

It isnt a simple case of oh well the game is broke ill play wow. Because wow and mo are nothing alike infact no game is like mo, not darkfall or UO.

Yeah, those games actually work properly (Disclaimer, never played much Darkfall but I could load in and do stuff, something that was a novelty in MO).

UO, for example, does everything that MO attempts to do, but much much better. Plus you can play for free with endless variation. The free server I play on has more people online than MO has at any given time, and is programmed for free by people with actual talent and not just their fathers wallet and a large ego.

The MO "events" are another good example of this, as the ineptitude is staggering every time. UO freeshards can set up long term, interesting and engaging events on their own time for free, but SV's idea of an event is to stick a few spider spawners down then sit back and watch the broken AI spawn camp people.

But a fool would also say that MO thinks its hardcore due to its ui and lack of a tutorial. The palyers and devs understand the need for a tutorial and a better ui its all time constraints and priorities.

The only thing "hardcore" about MO is the devotion of it viral marketing team, or the few remaining players ability to put up with broken game systems.

luckily though dawn added a much more indepth tutorial, which currently is abit buggy but hopefully once the bugs are ironed out will prove to be valuable to new players. The ui takes priority after the dawn patches which will hopefully be soon.

Currently a bit buggy you say? Oh my, that must have been a huge surprise to everyone.

Did anything work properly in the Dawn release? Food/Hunger system was borked, mounts  had to be disabled, the new guild system is as broken as the old one, etc.

Care to list the main features that worked?

• BetelBetel Member Posts: 365

i have played UO and eve, both a great and indeed superior to MO. but they do not off twitch based gameply. EVE is great i played it since release but imo it is way to complex for casual play. UO is as old as time, its a great game and i would recommned it to anyone who wants a virtual world (TSA) but i have had mny fill of both of these games.

Didn't you say you hadn't played UO?

UO combat is twitch based, esp the classic eras. What else do you call having to joust with  0.1s accuracy to properly time a dump and insta-hit?  Saying otherwise just proves you know very little about it.

• thanizthaniz Member Posts: 16

There is a quick guide. Several versions. Here for example: http://www.mortalonline.com/files/MO-Quick_guide_0.8.pdf

Also Mortal Online got a wiki. http://mortalwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

But even if MO is working on an better UI, their complete lack of third-person play is garbage to me.

Shrug.. let's not bring personal preferences into discussion ^^

i played  UO during the release of the second age exapnsion and i think i still have the boxed version somewhere. So unless there were major changes to the combat system since then, then i guess you can say i played UO. I also played on zulu shard and other free uo shards that wwre pre-trammel expansion. there were no lances when i played so there was no jousting, you esentially entered warmode and would auto hit when standing next to them.

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

i played  UO during the release of the second age exapnsion and i think i still have the boxed version somewhere. So unless there were major changes to the combat system since then, then i guess you can say i played UO. I also played on zulu shard and other free uo shards that wwre pre-trammel expansion. there were no lances when i played so there was no jousting, you esentially entered warmode and would auto hit when standing next to them.

"Jousting" is referring to running up to someone, equipping your halberd, hitting them once with the halberd and then running away.  When combined with precasting it allowed the attacker to unload alot of damage in a very short time and completely get around the slower weapon speed of halberds.  That is no longer possible (thus Betel's reference to "classic UO")

It certainly took skill to do all that. While it was strictly speaking not an exploit, it certainly borked the intended balance of weapon types.

• lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by thaniz

There is a quick guide. Several versions. Here for example: http://www.mortalonline.com/files/MO-Quick_guide_0.8.pdf

Thank you for the most contstructive post I've ever seen about this game. Had I seen these resources when I tried it I might have stayed. Is that .pdf by a player or official?

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by lordstarwolf

Originally posted by thaniz

Thank you for the most contstructive post I've ever seen about this game. Had I seen these resources when I tried it I might have stayed. Is that .pdf by a player or official?

The information in the PDF comes from the official guide located on the download page of the website here: http://www.mortalonline.com/download-game-client

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

Originally posted by Betel

Didn't you say you hadn't played UO?

UO combat is twitch based, esp the classic eras. What else do you call having to joust with  0.1s accuracy to properly time a dump and insta-hit?  Saying otherwise just proves you know very little about it.

Yeah UO was quite twitchy

Remember Old School Ultima Online

yea i kinda thoguht that was what he meant but i was just making sure, whilst jousting is i guess a form of twitch based gameplay it isnt really comparable to MO's combat. i mean in mo not only do you run in and out of combat, you have to actually aim your swing, you have to actually choose were to strike (head,legs, leftarm,right arm, torso) and you actually have to aim your block. So as you can see the difference here is quite massive.