Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I think Roma Victor is going to be the biggest MMORG

Comments

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

Hey i'm shallow as well :) Nothing wrong with that.

I demand fresh innovative gameplay from my next moorpg- which i believe RV posseses. But i also demand great graphics- jury is still out on that.

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

If you expend a little effort, use a little willpower and a little brainpower,  you will go to their websit and read on their forums, and hear from the devs that say, "Graphics are the last thing they are working on."

If you look at the pictures, youll notice that there arent even any shadows.

Put 2 and 2 together, using a little brainpower in the process and youll realize that graphics arent done  yet.

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

I don't think they even want to have people in their game who care largely only about graphics, as those tend to make the worst community.

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Imperatorian

I don't think they even want to have people in their game who care largely only about graphics, as those tend to make the worst community.

Thats a hefty generalization.  ;)

Not at all.  True, the graphics may never be up to the multi-million dollar MMOG project budget standards that seem to be swamping the market, but when the graphics are done, they will be on par with many of the other MMOGs out there.  As was said above, its easy to make things pretty, alot easier than coding AI, implimenting a very indepth crafting system, and tweaking a twitch combat system.  The graphics have improved since the first screenshots, and they will continue to do so.  Its just not a very high priority right now.  :)

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• stav1stav1 Member Posts: 282

Originally posted by Nerf09

If you expend a little effort, use a little willpower and a little brainpower,  you will go to their websit and read on their forums, and hear from the devs that say, "Graphics are the last thing they are working on."
    If you look at the pictures, youll notice that there arent even any shadows.
    Put 2 and 2 together, using a little brainpower in the process and youll realize that graphics arent done  yet.

er, i'm fairly involved with RV so i know all that (and much more). I was making an observation on the graphical qualities I and (many others) demand.

I wasn't saying RV won't have those qualities. Just highlighting that RV isn't as hyped as it should be on this site probably because of the current screenshots- which have admitedly improved vastly over time.

As i've grown older (and perhaps wiser), I've realised the world is a shallow place. To be a "big" mmorpg, RV cannot ignore that fact.

• Orkozi5Orkozi5 Member Posts: 14

The most recent mmorpg.com screenshots look pretty darned good to me. image

• jonsnow13jonsnow13 Member Posts: 67
    this game has a ton of promise... and we all get so excited about the idea of this game.  I just hope they pull it through...
  • worldboy90worldboy90 Member Posts: 39

Ok... I give  my 2 cents..

First of all.. about the graphics, I believe they'll never be great, but they'll be good enough. THey'll be good enough to satisfy the average gamer. Moving on... This game.. give it a chance, if the devs are not lieing to us, and adding in all this content... this game will move into something big... it might even be the first game to involve drama.. real drama... hmm.. Imagine this scenario...

You have played with a friend who lives in england... and you in USA.. You are both good romans citizens... but times got rough, barbarians were getting mad of the constant raids and band together to go to war... many towns and cities start burning to the ground. Not only this, but people speak of over throwing the emperor.. ANyways, your friend is a rich merchant and he is also a legend class character.. And you live on your farm next to him.. you both have npc's and enjoy the pleasure of fooling around ingame, such as setting things on fire, having your npc's do stupid things, etc... and one day, you wake up (log in)... to find your farm and everything destroyed... you look around for your friend.. even message him... he does not respond... you think for the worst.... and then his guild contacts you... he has been slayn in battle.... he fought protecting both your farms... but died... him and all your and his npcs... You are left... with a lost friend and a lost fortune... DUM, DUM DUM!!!

Drama.. yes some may say its extreme... but it will be interesting.. revenge will be tooken to a new level... Also... I hope for this game to not be the mmorpg with the most players.. but simply the best... scare off all them griefers, hackers, and brats... (eh impossible I know)... and try to build up a good community... If 50k is all the population it gets, 50k will be all the population it needs... Also, the whole money selling in game.. that will become less of a problem.. even if you do have 300 dollars worth of secretes(or however you spell it), it does not mean you will rule... a guild who doesnt like you could just attack and destroy everything...

Once again, this game might fail... with.... either..

A) Doesnt live up to the hype, falls to the ground as another crappy mmorpg

B) To intense for the casual gamer.....

yet.. I believe this could actually turn into a "community"... not just a bunch of people playing the game, but a "community", were  people get to know each other, and violence isnt taken as easily... But idk.. all we can do is wait and see.

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

a couple huge problems i have with the game.

1. this is from their official faq

When is Roma Victor being released?

We're not giving out a release date at this time but we will not be taking registrations for the first beta test phase until later next year (2002).

::::06::

2. and more importanly than not updating your faq in 4 years..

"We therefore needed a billing system that rewarded the players that contributed and charged a fair fee from the rest. In its simplest form, our revenue model will involve selling the currency of the game world, in this case Sesterces*, in return for real world money."

buying your items with real life money?in an open pvp, full looting game? maybe its just me, but i see major issues there that alot of people wont want to deal with, and a griefers paradise.

this is their substitution for monthly fees, its how they earn money..i dont think they are going to make it so you can jsut fly through free of charge and compete

Originally posted by fulmanfu

a couple huge problems i have with the game.
    1. this is from their official faq
    When is Roma Victor being released?
    We're not giving out a release date at this time but we will not be taking registrations for the first beta test phase until later next year (2002).
    ::::06::

2. and more importanly than not updating your faq in 4 years..
    "We therefore needed a billing system that rewarded the players that contributed and charged a fair fee from the rest. In its simplest form, our revenue model will involve selling the currency of the game world, in this case Sesterces*, in return for real world money."
    buying your items with real life money?in an open pvp, full looting game? maybe its just me, but i see major issues there that alot of people wont want to deal with, and a griefers paradise.
    this is their substitution for monthly fees, its how they earn money..i dont think they are going to make it so you can jsut fly through free of charge and compete

You may earn in game money just as you can in any other MMOG...some may not want to do that and may want money now now now.  So they can purchase it.  I believe there will be a cap on how much a person can spend monthly so someone doesnt flood the market with coinage.  RedBedlam has a dedicated economist that will help keep an eye on the dynamic economy.  They will use NPCs in game to ballence any drastic changes as far as currency goes.

- Kanoth

• ThinmanThinman Member Posts: 461

Originally posted by Kanoth
    RedBedlam has a dedicated economist that will help keep an eye on the dynamic economy. They will use NPCs in game to ballence any drastic changes as far as currency goes.

Just one example of the innovative approach that RB takes in making this game, and a clear indicator of how well thought out the whole thing is. Add to this that these are people who actually care about making a good game, even a great game, before anything else (they haven't even been getting paychecks, over the dev cycle of the game [4 years]), and you get the makings of a truly great game.

Looking forward (cautiously) to: Age of Conan, Dark Solstice, Armada Online.

Will soon try: Guild Wars

Overall: Amazed and bewhildered at the current sad state of the artform of gaming.

• dopefish18dopefish18 Member Posts: 163

well it has a potential to be the biggest mmorpg....but there are still old games that are the best like MU, guild wars, diablo and RYL path of the emperor......we'll see if roma victor could beat those games.....have u tried any of those games?

dont u dare start playing MMORPG unless u want to be hooked

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

You may earn in game money just as you can in any other MMOG...some may not want to do that and may want money now now now. So they can purchase it. I believe there will be a cap on how much a person can spend monthly so someone doesnt flood the market with coinage. RedBedlam has a dedicated economist that will help keep an eye on the dynamic economy. They will use NPCs in game to ballence any drastic changes as far as currency goes.

hey , i hope you are right. i pull for any game to be good.
    i jsut dont see them making it so you dont really have to buy cash to compete if that is thier only sorce of income. more people buy cash, richer they get irl. i dont see them making it very easy to go through without having to buy it thats all, maybe not at first when they are trying to nab a player base(and have money coming in from initial sales), but money is what drives everyting in the world and they are making this game to make as much money as they can. thier economist surely knows.

Originally posted by fulmanfu

You may earn in game money just as you can in any other MMOG...some may not want to do that and may want money now now now. So they can purchase it. I believe there will be a cap on how much a person can spend monthly so someone doesnt flood the market with coinage. RedBedlam has a dedicated economist that will help keep an eye on the dynamic economy. They will use NPCs in game to ballence any drastic changes as far as currency goes.

hey , i hope you are right. i pull for any game to be good.
    i jsut dont see them making it so you dont really have to buy cash to compete if that is thier only sorce of income. more people buy cash, richer they get irl. i dont see them making it very easy to go through without having to buy it thats all, maybe not at first when they are trying to nab a player base(and have money coming in from initial sales), but money is what drives everyting in the world and they are making this game to make as much money as they can. thier economist surely knows.

There was another person on our forums that made the same comment.  That RedBedlam is in it just to make money.  Obviously yes, RB has to make money, but not as much as the big name companies do, simply because the overhead, and expenses arent there.  Here's what KFR had to say in responce:

"I love the economy threads. 

There's no reason I'm picking this post in particular (welcome to the forum btw Peisistratus) - but nevertheless it prompted me to stick my head out of the cave and share my thoughts and experiences. 

I really just wanted to chime in and say that if we were just in it for the money then we'd have made, or been forced to make, many different decisions over the last few years. RedBedlam is a small, fully private and independent company. Both the pressures and basic requirements on our bottom line are much unlike those of most other MMORPG providers. 

We are not held to the single goal of ever-expanding profits and maximising shareholder return etc. - nor do any of our excellent partners place any unreasonable additional responsibilites upon us. 

We've always been very open about it being our aim to ensure that Roma Victor is profitable, but that profit's ultimate purpose will primarily be to ensure the longterm stability and growth of Roma Victor. That requires meeting hardware costs, bandwidth costs, legal costs, security costs, other overheads - oh and a few very modest salaries. Some of the team, myself included, are actually quite looking forward to drawing a salary one day - four years is a long time to run a project like this without so much as a single payslip! 

There's been a simply unbelievable amount of personal sacrifice and dedication from a handful of tremendously dedicated and enthusiastic professionals behind the scenes here and that's definitely one of the things that I'm hoping to lift the veil on during the weeks and months ahead.

It's certainly one of the most significant factors in the low development costs of Roma Victor, which are in fact several orders of magnitude lower than some other MMORPG's in the marketplace today. Remember - most MMORPG releases start out with an immediate need to return millions of dollars. 

With the VERM in place, we'll be able to monitor and manage the economy and the exchange rate dynamically. If people ever feel that they're not getting good value from their experience then they don't even have to stop playing - they simply have to stop paying. That's not something that you'll hear many Managing Directors offering their potential customers. 

-KFR"

- Kanoth

• RavenStJRavenStJ Member Posts: 309

the premise is interesting, but can it be carried out i remember some other mmorpg's making similiar claims, when llaunched the idea fizzled and other things took thier place.. wait and see.. and wait some more..

• tummblertummbler Member UncommonPosts: 267

I like how Kanoth, one of the head GMs over at the official RV forums, comes over to mmorpg.com and answers peoples questions and concerns. It really shows how much they care about their future customers and fans.

I can't wait!

----------
    nogold.org....

• kingsatchmokingsatchmo Member Posts: 127

I want to play this game. Period.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Is this even in Beta yet?
    If so have they delivered on any of the promises yet?

Interested to know... most MMO's don't even come close to their promises at release time. Usually beta is a good indicator of what's actually going to make it into the game at Release.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• andermananderman Member Posts: 70

Not sure it will be the biggest - got a long way to go & a lot to do! There are some great ideas and a balance that could attract a broad mmo player base, I love the concept and the ancient setting, not all gamers will but maybe a lot of non-gamers will be attracted. I'll be buying and playing whenever it's out & have followed the development for a while and feel confident they're making very good progress - good luck!

• TokedupTokedup Member Posts: 20

Gonna be one of the pioneering games of a new realism based combat system and new genre. Though it will probably not change how the industry works but hey lets hear it for the little guy.

Originally posted by Elnator

Is this even in Beta yet?
    If so have they delivered on any of the promises yet?
    Interested to know... most MMO's don't even come close to their promises at release time. Usually beta is a good indicator of what's actually going to make it into the game at Release.

The GOCaT program has concluded and the next phase of beta has begun.  However, the NDA is still in effect, look for it to be lifted soon.

- Kanoth

• Nerf09Nerf09 Member CommonPosts: 2,953

I dont mean to hype the game.  Im just thrilled there are developers out there that can think vertically.  Most developers only think 1 dimensionally, or horizontally.

Like if you got a ganking problem, a typical developer would make your equipment and housing invulnerable to theft, destruction, or loss on death.  Or theyll do something draconian like make PvP consentual.  Well, gee, whats the fun in doing anything?

But the dudes over at Roma Victor thought vertically, adding another dimension, a new charicteristic to your character "criminality".  The more you steal, the more you murder, the longer its gonna take you to get through the afterlife if you do get a bounty hunter after your ass and get killed.  WOW!  Not only are we solving the ganking problem, but a bounty player is going to be an actual VIABLE PROFESSION, not some forcefed mission crap like in Star Wars Galaxies.

[[BTW, Im not a fanboy from your website.  I just stumbled across it one day.   I cant even logon to your forums cause they got some stupid thing where you have to fax them some sort of parental approval, and although im way over that age , I hate paperwork and/or too lazy to fax anyone anything.  So dont you all go pointing fingers at eachother for violating some sort of secret coding oath about who knows what your talking about I have no idea.]]

• Blingbling2kBlingbling2k Member Posts: 157
    I think this game has SO MUCH potential. Its insane some of the stuff in this game, but I think it will never work because of the graphics. Todays graphics look damn near close to the real world, those graphics are like FF7 or worse. It sickens me to see a game goto waste like that.

Guild Wars - Rorick Aurlith E/Mo pumped up with the best armor and weapon, has all his skills, and runes. PvP King!

Dark Age of Camelot - Leaton 50 Vampiir - Lamorak - Guild: Magic and Mayhem!

• Ferox(SM)Ferox(SM) Member Posts: 169

are 99% of the members on these boards 13 year old carebears?

RV is the most hardcore and realistic mmorpg ever created.. in ALL aspects, there are no /tells or /chats, the world is 1/2 scale real europe, as in if it takes me an hour to fly from england to france, it would take me a half hour of traveling ingame. There is also no pvp switch, or some place to hide. It is nothing like every mmo made after ultima online, and thats why i like it, because every mmo from after Uo to now was horrible EQ crap.

Think you have what it takes to take the 'Oath of the legion' and become a true soldier of Rome?
    Service guarantees citizenship!

• GrembagGrembag Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Nerf09

I cant even logon to your forums cause they got some stupid thing where you have to fax them some sort of parental approval, and although im way over that age , I hate paperwork and/or too lazy to fax anyone anything.

Yes this happens if you sign up with the 'I am 13 or under box' checked on their register page. Think carefully about your age and sign up again. If you decide you are 13 or under you will have to do the fax thing.