Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Player Just tried this game!! It's GORGEOUS!!

lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53

And it SUCKS!!

I've played alot of mmo's.   Most of them in fact.  7 year eve player,  Darkfall, SWG, WOW, WAR, LOTRO, AOC, Muds, beta's and indy games.  I'm used to sandbox and pvp.  I LOVE sandbox games. I usually would quietly have deleted my account and forgotten this mess of a game, on account of an indy developer, but it offends me so that I simply have to voice my opinion.

The thought of a truly open world and sandbox (as well as open pvp) enticed me to go ahead and install this.  I'll allways appreciate the fact I did so... it set a new low standard for unplayable, buggy crap.  It has also made every other MMO I've ever played THAT much better.

This game is one of the most advanced graphically.  Loved the vista's and eviroment.  Unfortunately it's also encumbered by the most backwards ass unintuitive system of control I've ever experienced in a game.  If making a game hardcore requires such clunky controls to make it "hardcore" (anyone try to /tame following an animal?) why not just make all commands in swahili and force you to play in a mirror?

There ARE no tutorials. The five or so blocks of text you get (after you figure out you must hold down the goddamn z key the WHOLE time to read or dismiss the tabs) describe none of the very basics you require with this game.  The few that are on the website are all player generated, and most are vague at best.  Nothing in the tutorial even tells you how to bring up the chat pane! (btw you must hit ENTER then a slash key to perform an action... took someone else asking to figure that one out)

No, I didn't get WTF PWND by any elite PK'ers.  It's a simple matter of what the f**k were they thinking when they designed this?  Hell, give me a wall of text on the most basic of game mechanics and I would have been satiated and spent a few weeks running around noob central naked trying to figure out why people can call guards on me for standing there.  

I appreciate what they were trying to do, and I wish I could have been part of it.  My issue is that the interface / UI / mechanics / bugs are worse than shit.  They're insulting.

To those of you who've obviously played since beta and stayed on, congrats.  You obviously have to have a real tight knit community to pay for that.  I wish all of you luck, and I hope this game does well for you.

I"m simply amazed how this game isn't a beta.  How can people pay for this?

Comments

• lordstarwolflordstarwolf Member Posts: 53

They got a free trial?

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

[Mod Edit]

I have no idea how they can get away with making money on such and unfininished game. To pay to play it is to have low standards, buy into a far away promis of potential, love good griefing, or have GM relations to exploit (afaik).

• SaunakillerSaunakiller Member Posts: 57

Damn. You guys sure can´t have played many MMOs. I came into MO like a newborn baby, but I sure as hell didn´t have any hard time figuring out what to do, and how to do it. I checked this: video out first that they link from their free trial page to start with. And you don´t have to type / before every command. Feeding the horse is simply: feed. Having the pet attack someone, aim and go: attack. How hard can it be. You seem to need some hand holding. Go play a themepark if you want that. I admit MO is hard, but to me it´s one helluva ride. I´ve never had my heart pumping like it does when I do exploring, PVPing, delivering goods etc. I sit on nails all the time out of fear of loosing something valuabel etc. There´s nothing on the MMO market that has what MO has. DF comes close but the grindfest there makes me wanna puke just thinking about it. I´ve used all my SP for my fighter in MO, and it didn´t even take a week... I´m now almost out of SP for my butcher. So much better. Now I can focus on enjoying the game all in...

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

best part is not only do they pay for it, but most have 2 accounts or more.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

some people's garbage is other people's treasure.

what you'v said it's all true, however there is no game that even comes close to the feel of MO. for those that like that feel, it's one of a kind.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

some people's garbage is other people's treasure.

what you'v said it's all true, however there is no game that even comes close to the feel of MO. for those that like that feel, it's one of a kind.

The main draw for me trying MO out is its a sandbox so theres no set path which I like, and I really enjoy open ended games like morrowind and oblivion and the good first person views. Theres not a lot to choose from when it comes to these certain types of games. Also good pvp no instance battleground fubar.

I don't hate this game... I just don't appreciation a poorly put together interface.  I can ignore flying horses and such, but it seems to me that there is a definite lack of development in key areas.

Originally posted by Saunakiller

Damn. You guys sure can´t have played many MMOs. I came into MO like a newborn baby, but I sure as hell didn´t have any hard time figuring out what to do, and how to do it. I checked this: video out first that they link from their free trial page to start with. And you don´t have to type / before every command. Feeding the horse is simply: feed. Having the pet attack someone, aim and go: attack. How hard can it be. You seem to need some hand holding. Go play a themepark if you want that. I admit MO is hard, but to me it´s one helluva ride. I´ve never had my heart pumping like it does when I do exploring, PVPing, delivering goods etc. I sit on nails all the time out of fear of loosing something valuabel etc. There´s nothing on the MMO market that has what MO has. DF comes close but the grindfest there makes me wanna puke just thinking about it. I´ve used all my SP for my fighter in MO, and it didn´t even take a week... I´m now almost out of SP for my butcher. So much better. Now I can focus on enjoying the game all in...

Thanks for obviously not reading my post Wall 'o' text.

As I've said, I've played MUDs, MMO's, ect. for over a decade. Experience is not the issue. I said I love sandboxes. I fault the game designer not for gameplay, world dynamics, sandbox or pure beurty. I fault him for a clunky interface and a complete lack of documentation.

I spent two hours scouring the forums for basic gameplay mechanics and commands so I could get out and explore. I only found one short slash command list, a reference to why I couldn't enter modal chat, and a bunch of flaming trolls.

I appreciate what they're trying to do, and wouldn't have minded ganking people in the wastes :P But creating a unique game and UI and then not providing some sort of documentation on how to interface with it is insulting.

Discovering how to craft and how skills work are a given in this type of MMO. I love discovery and exploration. But having to discover simple interface commands through brute force random typing is a bad game design IMO. Make a comprehensive guide covering basic mechanics such as eating, weight loss, commands, interface, guards and how they work, how to push, ect.

Have fun.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Hmmm... I didn't have any trouble at all figuring out how to play the game. I found it to be no more confusing than Darkfall was the first couple of days.

• DeathTouchDeathTouch Member UncommonPosts: 508

any game that takes me back to AC style of play 10 years ago isnt a game to play. i use dos commands back in the dos era, now it should have a button on the UI. If its to play AC, ill go play that. My battle mage is still there waiting to be leveled to the new limit.

• 1-8-71-8-7 Member Posts: 74

Im on the free trial.  My initial impressions where,  wtf am I supose to do.  After exploring and slowly learning the game.  It has its good and bad parts.  The scenary is absoulutly gorgous.  Montain ranges are breathtaking.  Player houses all over give me the feel of ultima online.  Naked thiefs running about also bring me back to oldschool uo.   In my opinion the game is a cross between, UO, Darkfall, and WURM online.  Its a beautiful game and I Love it.  Yes the game still needs work.  Some new combat controls need to be implemented, and New GUI and some better Icons.  othere than these small things i love the game and recomend you to take the plunge and try the free trial.  don't get discouraged in the beginning. Fight through it and give it a few days of ur time and see what the game is really about.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by 1-8-7

Im on the free trial.  My initial impressions where,  wtf am I supose to do.  After exploring and slowly learning the game.  It has its good and bad parts.  The scenary is absoulutly gorgous.  Montain ranges are breathtaking.  Player houses all over give me the feel of ultima online.  Naked thiefs running about also bring me back to oldschool uo.   In my opinion the game is a cross between, UO, Darkfall, and WURM online.  Its a beautiful game and I Love it.  Yes the game still needs work.  Some new combat controls need to be implemented, and New GUI and some better Icons.  othere than these small things i love the game and recomend you to take the plunge and try the free trial.  don't get discouraged in the beginning. Fight through it and give it a few days of ur time and see what the game is really about.

I agree.  There's is definitely a learning curve involved with the game, and it's still got some rough edges, but this is one of the few games I've played where exploration, discovery, and personal player knowledge are "real" things supported by the design of the game.  When I figure something out - whether that be a location, a better skill combination, or a better recipe for a crafted item - it actually feels like an accomplishment.

Right now, players are trying to gain an edge in knowledge on the new horses, cooking, and the reserve system.  It's great.

The game does still need more improvements, but in my opinion, it provides a play experience that you can't get with other games, and it's definitely headed in the right direction.

To the OP: here's the beginnings of a command list that might be helpful.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• AllSeeingGuyAllSeeingGuy Member Posts: 143

While MO has its good an bad parts, the ones you came across are suprising considering you played EVE. Tutorials are far and few between and the point of the game is to learn things or have other players help you out. There isn't any giant gold exclamation points to point you in the right direction. There isn't a giant list of skills you can plop down on your hotbar and go spam at it. This game is a diffent breed of game. It doesn't follow that mainstream way, sure the UI isn't the greatest but it works.

Also you seem to be somewhat angry because you had guards called on you and you do not understand the flagging system. No one can have guards called on them in the city unless they do something that turns them grey. Very similar to UO. Stealing, agression or pet agression will cause grey. Pushing does not, calling guards over and over with no criminal will get you killed. With the new guard system you have to point at your target as you call guards to get them.

All in all, if you spent more then 2 days in game before deciding you hate it then I'd value your opinion a bit more. Finish your trail and accomplish a few things before you pass judgement.

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

I tried to download the game and patch and do a trial but I never got the patcher to work and i gave up. They don't want mah monies!

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• StuporityStupority Member Posts: 53

Late comment to OP's post: Also tried the trial a while back. I haven't played sandbox games too much but I just loved that aspect of the game - including not being pointed to what to do next and how! What ticked me off to no end was an eerie feeling that a big part of MO being "difficult" or "non-casual" is exactly what you said - the controls and such are as if made by a one-legged half-cousin of a lobotomized monkey. Now if this aspect of the game was done properly, I'd give MO 2 thumbs up myself. I really hope the upcoming sandboxy games (AA etc.) will handle this side properly too so that I too can throw away the life as a themepark-elf away for good! Complete lack of user friendliness does not a good and non-casual game make.

Originally posted by AllSeeingGuy

While MO has its good an bad parts, the ones you came across are suprising considering you played EVE. Tutorials are far and few between and the point of the game is to learn things or have other players help you out. There isn't any giant gold exclamation points to point you in the right direction. There isn't a giant list of skills you can plop down on your hotbar and go spam at it. This game is a diffent breed of game. It doesn't follow that mainstream way, sure the UI isn't the greatest but it works.

Also you seem to be somewhat angry because you had guards called on you and you do not understand the flagging system. No one can have guards called on them in the city unless they do something that turns them grey. Very similar to UO. Stealing, agression or pet agression will cause grey. Pushing does not, calling guards over and over with no criminal will get you killed. With the new guard system you have to point at your target as you call guards to get them.

All in all, if you spent more then 2 days in game before deciding you hate it then I'd value your opinion a bit more. Finish your trail and accomplish a few things before you pass judgement.

No, I'm angry because of a slapped together UI and lack of an official description of keymap, layout, general game mechanics, anything really.  If I made a game where you had to stand on your head and look in a mirror to play that, would I then be qualified to say it's hardcore? How about if I mapped the buttons on the keyboard upside down, would that make my joy of discovery that much better?

Did I knock gameplay or mechanics? No.  I'm giving the developer the finger for lacking a simple "how the hell do I move around and interact with this beutiful world" tutorial/guide/forum post/pdf/whatever.  

I expected from reading to figure out how to explore, craft, fight ect.  However, "L2P" is no excuse for a game designer to leave out key information on basic gameplay.

Again, you didn't take time to read my post (where did I mention a hotbar? Have you even played EVE with the New Player Experience that shows you basic gameplay? Did I bitch about not knowing where to go? I'm willing to bet SWG has more text commands as well.) Obviously you didn't. You are defending a struggling game that you enjoy that just happens to turn away potental subscribers by not gracing a trial player with basic and crucial gameplay information.  Don't worry, you're not alone.  I found the official forums and in game characters no less helpful.

This post obviously isn't meant for you.  Glory in your uberness and mastery of hidden knowledge. Congradulations.

This post is meant for the developer, if any of them care to read, or potential subscribers to not bother with it.

Originally posted by Rohn

Originally posted by 1-8-7

I agree.  There's is definitely a learning curve involved with the game, and it's still got some rough edges, but this is one of the few games I've played where exploration, discovery, and personal player knowledge are "real" things supported by the design of the game.  When I figure something out - whether that be a location, a better skill combination, or a better recipe for a crafted item - it actually feels like an accomplishment.

Right now, players are trying to gain an edge in knowledge on the new horses, cooking, and the reserve system.  It's great.

The game does still need more improvements, but in my opinion, it provides a play experience that you can't get with other games, and it's definitely headed in the right direction.

To the OP: here's the beginnings of a command list that might be helpful.

Thanks for showing exactly  why I'm pissed at the developer. Why does a player have to make a forum post displaying a basic and incomplete command list?  That's exactly why I'm leaving this alone.  If they ever finish the game, send me a pm.  Untill then I'll leave the floating pigs alone.

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Getting mad at devs because you're to lazy to figure out the controls and UI? Pretty sad, why should every game have to hold your hand? If you can't handle the fact that you're all alone to figure it out, don't cry about it, it just shows what a child you are. That's one of the reason MO is a good game, no childish people play it because they can't handle how hard it is. Just actually have some initiative to look up a proper guide or ask someone to help you pretty simple. As for taming, it works just fine for me, it really isn't that hard to do.

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I have to agree with the OP

This is simply the worse MMORPG I played.

I tried it twice, but the problem is that this game feels like an advanced state of Alpha (I won't even call it Beta)

It puzzles me how people compare this game with Darkfall

Darkfall had lots of exploit problems at launch, but apart for that the game was finished, playable and it was fun from the first day. If it wasn't for the lack of meaningful PVE and a fucked up economy I will still play it.

But this game is just impossible to get into it.

The bad UI, the awful graphics (unfortunately the medium settings made this game looks shit), the poor animation and the difficulty to do even the most simple task, make this game not worth a penny.

If you like PvP and you are not too bothered of the limited sandbox features, play Darkfall. You will see the difference between a game and an early Beta

• JJOnewayJJOneway Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by Killswitch34

Getting mad at devs because you're to lazy to figure out the controls and UI? Pretty sad, why should every game have to hold your hand? If you can't handle the fact that you're all alone to figure it out, don't cry about it, it just shows what a child you are. That's one of the reason MO is a good game, no childish people play it because they can't handle how hard it is. Just actually have some initiative to look up a proper guide or ask someone to help you pretty simple. As for taming, it works just fine for me, it really isn't that hard to do.

That's ridiculous. So you think it's fine for a dev studio to make a game that forces people to find basic instructions on forums or YouTube videos made by other players? There's nothing childish about the OP's stance. He (like a lot of others I'm sure) believes that if he's going to pay money for a product, then said products manufacturers should have made at least the most cursory effort to ensure people know how to use it.

When will some of you "hardcore" crowd realise there's a big difference between not having golden exclamation marks and hand holding, and just being dumped in a game with the equivalent message of: "Off you go son, fill your boots" and nothing else? The OP isn't complaining about no quests or hand holding, but at not even being shown the most basic commands needed to play the game without scouring forums for player generated instructions.

If some of you had actually bothered to read the OP's post you would have seen that he's an MMO vet and a sandbox lover, just the sort of person who I'd think would be able to tell the difference between "hardcore" and simple lazy, clunky, arse-backwards design choices.

Please, we know you want hardcore sandbox games like MO to succeed, but that should never excuse laziness on the part of the Devs.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Killswitch34

This is beyond rediculous. Struggling with UI is not hardcore, it is just plain annoying and shows how badly designed it is.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

the ui is indeed clunky and not very welcoming, i have been playing since release and you certainly get used to it. But the simple fact that some things you need to acess are hidden in strange places, for example to put bags on a mount you must first bring up your character profile then hit the mount button then get so close to the mount your inside it to equip the bags. Surely they should of had this linked on the ui since its a well used window considering you need to acess it every time you put something on your monut? but the ui is a palceholder or so the devs keep telling us. Hopefully that means in the near future one that makes sense will be patched in.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• AllSeeingGuyAllSeeingGuy Member Posts: 143

Originally posted by ste2000

I have to agree with the OP

This is simply the worse MMORPG I played.

I tried it twice, but the problem is that this game feels like an advanced state of Alpha (I won't even call it Beta)

It puzzles me how people compare this game with Darkfall

Darkfall had lots of exploit problems at launch, but apart for that the game was finished, playable and it was fun from the first day. If it wasn't for the lack of meaningful PVE and a fucked up economy I will still play it.

But this game is just impossible to get into it.

The bad UI, the awful graphics (unfortunately the medium settings made this game looks shit), the poor animation and the difficulty to do even the most simple task, make this game not worth a penny.

If you like PvP and you are not too bothered of the limited sandbox features, play Darkfall. You will see the difference between a game and an early Beta

Please head back to the DF forums and join the DF2 post created by myself. Its one thing to appreciate both games and its another thing to be rabid about one and hate the other. Its pretty obvious where you stand, your opinions in these forums mean next to nothing, and provide no constructive presence to this thread other then "I hate MO , darkfall is much better".

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I want to really appreciate this game.  Only 2 things are preventing me, a more intuitive and user-friendly UI and being able to play mostly in third-person-view.  2 areas that Aventurine got right, which I played for a bout a year.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

I honestly wanted to like MO, the whole concept really does appeal to me, open ended massive world, but it just isnt done right, so many features and core stuff missing, I wonder if there will ever be a game to offer this sort of gameplay but at least done to a playable level, my faiths rests on ArchAge.