Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Glimpse of Character Creation

IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

From the MMO Report we get a glimpse of the character creation screen. 

{mod edit - reduced image size to fit forum}

Comments

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

Is it weird that the first thing I thought of when I saw that while watching the video was 'Thank goodness for lack of Charr breasts'?

... it just seems more tasteful that way. :/

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Meowhead

Is it weird that the first thing I thought of when I saw that while watching the video was 'Thank goodness for lack of Charr breasts'?

Not fair, they should have big boobs!

hehe

I believe the charr female will have six nipples tho =P

Or atleast we will meta that they have under the fur hehe

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• yevgeniiyevgenii Member Posts: 34

Awesome. Looks detailed and... revealing?

Can't wait.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Lolz, I personally like them not having boobs, haha if they were realistic and had 6 I wouldn't want to have to see those things on my char!

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568

Originally posted by yevgenii

Awesome. Looks detailed and... revealing?

Can't wait.

Yes, revealing it is!  I can't wait either, I still don't know what I'm going to choose.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Kuraphimaru

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait,  can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

This made me laugh out loud for some reason.

I agree with the above sentiments, breasts on charr females would have been creepy. They'd have been too cliche anthro if they had humanoid body parts but making them realistically animal would just be sorta...gross...

Plus, being part of the art community, I know of the truly terrible, terrifying monster that is Rule 34. I could just see it now...char women with 6 nipples squirting breast milk while guro'ing on some poor human. Oh, the terrible things I have seen people draw ;-;

*kicks away tangent* Anyway! Looking good so far, now where are my friggin sylvari!?

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

It's not a lack of, it's a lack of visibility of. If you can see a cat's set of six whilst held up then you're more observant than I am, and the charr women tend to be quite long furred. This was covered in one of ArenaNet's pieces, it's just pretty much that they went for the flat-chested look, and to me it looks better anatomically. I'd find breasts on a creature that does not have the anatomical and biological prerequisites for breasts to be a bit of a turn-off.

Though nothing... nothing will beat Oblivion's Argonians. They made me twitchy. :| Lizards do not have fingernails or breasts, but the Oblivion Argonians had both. Oblivion was creepy-as-hell uncanny-valley teim. Thank the gods for Drake the Dragon and his Argonian Beauitfication project that retrofitted Argonians to look as they should. (And there's a project in the works for the Khajiit, too.) But stock, default Argonians in Oblivion were the stuff of nightmares.

Sometimes human breasts just won't work, this is one of those cases, and it has absolutely nothing to do with being a prude. The way the charr are hunched and all... breasts would make them look wrong. They'd look less like breasts and more like cancerous hangings. Very unpleasant. The thing is is that the charr, in a lot of ways, are very feline. Especially the charr women, which are even far moreso than the men. So yeah, it's just a matter of them having anatomically correct breasts, rather than them being sans-breasts.

And I'm perfectly happy with thinking of things that way because thinking of forcibly fully sexually neutered creatures creeps the shit out of me even more than Oblivion Argonians. Hooray, I'm not insecure about my sexual sensibilities. Whee!

(Also, I see there's another person thinking that a charr would have to have six homo sapiens tits. Why is that? What on not-Earth is that based on? Their sexuality is there, it's just not visibly to the naked eye, unless you want to go hunting through the fur. Cat breasts don't swell unless they have milk to provide, which happens only when they're in heat.)

• Dream_ChaserDream_Chaser Member Posts: 1,043

That said... this looks awesome! And I'm terribly amused that the charr were picked for the first sneak peek. Says something, that does, but I'm not entirely certain what. :p

• KharnathKharnath Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

It's not a lack of, it's a lack of visibility of. If you can see a cat's set of six whilst held up then you're more observant than I am, and the charr women tend to be quite long furred. This was covered in one of ArenaNet's pieces, it's just pretty much that they went for the flat-chested look, and to me it looks better anatomically. I'd find breasts on a creature that does not have the anatomical and biological prerequisites for breasts to be a bit of a turn-off.

Though nothing... nothing will beat Oblivion's Argonians. They made me twitchy. :| Lizards do not have fingernails or breasts, but the Oblivion Argonians had both. Oblivion was creepy-as-hell uncanny-valley teim. Thank the gods for Drake the Dragon and his Argonian Beauitfication project that retrofitted Argonians to look as they should. (And there's a project in the works for the Khajiit, too.) But stock, default Argonians in Oblivion were the stuff of nightmares.

Sometimes human breasts just won't work, this is one of those cases, and it has absolutely nothing to do with being a prude. The way the charr are hunched and all... breasts would make them look wrong. They'd look less like breasts and more like cancerous hangings. Very unpleasant. The thing is is that the charr, in a lot of ways, are very feline. Especially the charr women, which are even far moreso than the men. So yeah, it's just a matter of them having anatomically correct breasts, rather than them being sans-breasts.

And I'm perfectly happy with thinking of things that way because thinking of forcibly fully sexually neutered creatures creeps the shit out of me even more than Oblivion Argonians. Hooray, I'm not insecure about my sexual sensibilities. Whee!

(Also, I see there's another person thinking that a charr would have to have six homo sapiens tits. Why is that? What on not-Earth is that based on? Their sexuality is there, it's just not visibly to the naked eye, unless you want to go hunting through the fur. Cat breasts don't swell unless they have milk to provide, which happens only when they're in heat.)

I enjoy boobs as much as the next guy, but I think you went overboard this time. Human tits, charr tits, cat tits, lizard tits, tits in Guild Wars 2, tits in Oblivion... a bloody wall of text about titties. We get it! You're officially the breast guy.

:D

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

The lack of tities in character creation is disturbing to say the least! :P

So funny LOL

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I've always been of the opinion that non-human species should not have visible tatas. It is in fact a strange mutation. Few other real life animals have enlarged breasts except when lactating. In humans it is most likely a sexual selection trait according to experts such as Luigi Cavalli-Sforza.

I am also of the opinion that it is funny we are discussing this at all.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Drekker17Drekker17 Member Posts: 296

If there was a humanoid feline, it would likely have slightly more noticeable breasts than the charr (much like pretty much all mammals that stand upright)...however, that would likely look stupid on a video game character, so I think the Charr looks good. Also, it would not have 6 nipples, it would only have 2 because more intelligent animals generally give birth to less babies at a time for better development, animals generally have 2 breast for 1 baby, and for humans 1 child at a time is considered ideal.

"Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people." - Eleanor Roosevelt
    "Americans used to roar like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." -Norman Vincent Peale

Originally posted by Dream_Chaser

It's not a lack of, it's a lack of visibility of.

No.  If they have six, like the artist suggested, then it's definitely a lack of.

Breasts has a specific meaning in biology, and while they have NIPPLES, that doesn't mean they would have breasts, unless they have the primate setup for them.

Also (in response to another person), I'm not sure how many babies Charr have at a time, but it's not a prerequisite to only have 1/2 at a time to be smart.  That's just the way it has developed on Earth. :T  They don't even raise their own babies, anyway.

• SomartSomart Member UncommonPosts: 61

i cant believe that instead of discussing the options seen in the picture, everyone is talking about whether she should have tits or not?! but then again, this is the internet...anything can and will happen

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Somart

i cant believe that instead of discussing the options seen in the picture, everyone is talking about whether she should have tits or not?! but then again, this is the internet...anything can and will happen

I'm with you lol, I was ready to jump into the conversation until I read the thread and realized everyone was more focused on the char boobs or lack of them anyways rather than anything pertaining to character creation.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I'm with you lol, I was ready to jump into the conversation until I read the thread and realized everyone was more focused on the char boobs or lack of them anyways rather than anything pertaining to character creation.

I have to third this, what makes it worse is discussing feline tatas. I mean come on now peeps, I have a hard time finding stuff like this funny, not to be a sourpuss, but is it too much to ask for some maturity on the net? I'm sure I'll regret asking that question.

Character creation looks pretty sweet though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

They say puberty isnt disease, yet some people cant be cured :D ...........................................................................(kidding)

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Well, imo that's a pretty serious art consideration when you have non-human characters.. How do you convey what sex that character is if its species sexual attributes are different from human primate's?

I must say that one of the first things that impressed me with GW2 art was exactly the lack of titties and overall design of charr females. It would have been waay too easy to just slap on some breasts, widen hips a bit and maybe even a dash of lipstick on the walking cat lol. The way they managed to make charr females look feminine without resorting to such crude anthromorphisation is quite impressive imo. They obviously studied morphic differences between cat males and females and extrapolated how they would translate if the cat were bipedal.

I've lived with cats all my life (no, i'm not crazy, i just always had some cat around wherever i lived) and I can tell if the cat is male or female at a glance. I can tell charr males and females at a glance as well, even when they are not standing next to each other so i can compare... and all that without breasts, hips and (ugh!) makeup. That's a pretty great achievement for their art design team imo.

Basically you have two ways of designing an anthropomorphic animal. You can take an existing animal and then morph it into a human form (walking cat). The second way is to take a human and slap on a selection of that animal's traits (furry chick with big tits and big ears). Obviously ANet went the first route and it was a great choice imo.

Originally posted by Malickie

I have to third this, what makes it worse is discussing feline tatas. I mean come on now peeps, I have a hard time finding stuff like this funny, not to be a sourpuss, but is it too much to ask for some maturity on the net? I'm sure I'll regret asking that question.

Despite my lighthearted tone with my original comment, it was still a serious comment.

The lack of breasts on Charr is a GOOD thing.

Too often, artists take the visual shortcut of just slapping breasts on something to make it a woman, like some sort of generic cure-all.  It even happens with robots, or armor design.  How do you have armor for females?  STick breasts on it.

It's really pretty ridiculous, and when somebody steps up and actually bothers to NOT go the easy route, I feel it needs to be lauded and pointed out.

There's nothing immature about discussing how women could be portrayed better in MMOs.  Walking cleavage is too often their particular design aspect. :T

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137

Well GW 2 got titty armor as well :)

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Despite my lighthearted tone with my original comment, it was still a serious comment.

Too often, artists take the visual shortcut of just slapping breasts on something to make it a woman, like some sort of generic cure-all.  It even happens with robots, or armor design.  How do you have armor for females?  STick breasts on it.

It's really pretty ridiculous, and when somebody steps up and actually bothers to NOT go the easy route, I feel it needs to be lauded and pointed out.

There's nothing immature about discussing how women could be portrayed better in MMOs.  Walking cleavage is too often their particular design aspect. :T

Good point, I was just starting to have flashbacks of AOC general chat while looking at a lot of these posts :).

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Good point, I was just starting to have flashbacks of AOC general chat while looking at a lot of these posts :).

Didn't women in AoC have huge pumpkins?

• cyress8cyress8 Member Posts: 832

Originally posted by Alot

Yes, until the dreaded Bewb Nerf Patch

BOOYAKA!

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by cyress8

Originally posted by Alot

Yes, until the dreaded Bewb Nerf Patch

Bewb nerf? Oh dear.

• HorridusiumHorridusium Member Posts: 5

Is it me or we can choose the age of our character (bottom of the screen)

( we can't really see it on the image that Wardthegreat posted because the image has been resized (you can see it at 13:45 on the video))