Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lookin for a "retro" mmo/rpg like Final Fantasy (pre FF7)

oldboneoldbone Wizard101 CorrespondentMember Posts: 41

Gawd, I'd love to just level a party and explore a world FF1 style.

3d doesn't concern me - 2d is just fine. I'm old, so turn based is preferred.

Yeah, I played Atlantica for quite some time, but it got to be too "grindy" with no "soul".

I just want some 8 or 16 bit pixel fun... but something more substantial, like a mmo.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.

Comments

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by oldbone

Yeah, I played Atlantica for quite some time, but it got to be too "grindy" with no "soul".

I just want some 8 or 16 bit pixel fun... but something more substantial, like a mmo.

I think there would be a suprisingly large market for this type of game, but I don't think anything else besides Atlantica fits the description.  Hopefully one of the big developers will have acknowledged Atlantica's success and will work to innovate in that direction.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

it is not really FF style, but I would suggest wizardry 7 and 8 if you didnt tried those.

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

Originally posted by oldbone

This might be what you're looking for.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Chrono Trigger

Secret Of Mana

Secret Of Evermore

Super Mario RPG

Star Ocean

Not MMOs but great classic RPGs

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

If you are looking for a good pre ff7 (pre 3D rpg?) thats an mmo I'd suggest ultima online

absolutely loved ultima single player rpg's back in the day and never really gave the mmo a shot.. but Its definitly complex (I did try free trial a week ago)

• jado818jado818 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 356

Originally posted by Benedikt

it is not really FF style, but I would suggest wizardry 7 and 8 if you didnt tried those.

Yes.. the wizardry series is a great classic cRPG imo

worthy of looking into.. lots of wizardry 8 mods out there too.. download custom themes and what not ;p

its a 3D rpg not sure thats what you want tho heh

wizardry 5 was a good balance between hardcore ridiculous dungeon crawls and accessibility to people new to the series imo.. and its 2D

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

Do you have an iPhone or iPod? There are several a 16-bit style MMOs available on the app store, at least one of them actually turn-based.