Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the original HG:L look this bad?

jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I played HG:L when it was released until they shut it down and seem to remember the game looking better graphics wise.

Granted it has been awhile since I have played it, but the graphics in open beta are terribad. Did they rehash the graphics to lower rez textures and models to make the  game run better?

I am running every setting at max in the open beta, and no option for dx10, seems the old dx9 graphics were better than they are now.

Anyways, just wondering if it was just me or if the old HG:L actually did look better.

Comments

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Looks pretty good on my comp, considering how dated it is. Still enjoying it though, forgot how fun this game was originally.

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

About the same I'd say.

I had the same initial reaction as you did, but now that I've been playing it for an hour, I think it's about the same.  Memory always paints things a rosier color... 

• ziifnabziifnab Member UncommonPosts: 53

I think it has a texture issue at the moment (maybe driver related), as a few other people are reporting the same problem. As soon as the game loads the textures are terrible - old Doom games had sharper textures lol. I haven't tried any troubleshooting yet, hopefully there is a fix when I wake up bright and early tomorrow.

95% of all percentages quoted on the internet are made up on the spot 50% of the time.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

They gave up the DX10 mode - and have chosen to keep the "temporary solution" FSS implemented to manage excessive resource-waste by reducing texture-quality on models severely.

The game looks pretty bad now, where it used to look quite good on max details.

I don't see this changing, as it's obviously not a game they truly care about.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Actually, the more I think about it....

They based this game on an OLD build. There's no other way to explain certain ancient bugs that got fixed during the initial run still persisting.

The "invisible" party members bug is still there.

The obscene slowdown bug under special circumstances is still there.

They didn't just "remove" DX10.

My guess is that they got an old build from FSS, and they might not have had the rights to the actual new code past a certain point. The content (Abyss, etc.) yes - but not the code.

That's what I think, anyway.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by DKLond

Actually, the more I think about it....

They based this game on an OLD build. There's no other way to explain certain ancient bugs that got fixed during the initial run still persisting.

The "invisible" party members bug is still there.

The obscene slowdown bug under special circumstances is still there.

They didn't just "remove" DX10.

My guess is that they got an old build from FSS, and they might not have had the rights to the actual new code past a certain point. The content (Abyss, etc.) yes - but not the code.

That's what I think, anyway.

I bet the folks over here could help T3 out with that:

http://hellgateaus.net/

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

The graphics are a lot worse, you can see it mainly in the lighting effects. I've tried it out, but I'm going to wait a bit before I spend and money on it, seeing as you now have to pay $4 to see the whole game. It needs to be a lot better before I do.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

Originally posted by DKLond

They gave up the DX10 mode - and have chosen to keep the "temporary solution" FSS implemented to manage excessive resource-waste by reducing texture-quality on models severely.

The game looks pretty bad now, where it used to look quite good on max details.

I don't see this changing, as it's obviously not a game they truly care about.

I have to agree with you there, it seems like they just slapped the game out without really upgrading or improving it.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by urbanmech

The graphics are a lot worse, you can see it mainly in the lighting effects. I've tried it out, but I'm going to wait a bit before I spend and money on it, seeing as you now have to pay $4 to see the whole game. It needs to be a lot better before I do.

Be careful with that plan, $4 is a LOT of money!

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Definitely one of the ugliest MMOs I've ever played. I just didn't like the whole engine, seems very badly coded and seemed to have been giving many people performance issues even with good specs.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by JPTX

About the same I'd say.

I had the same initial reaction as you did, but now that I've been playing it for an hour, I think it's about the same.  Memory always paints things a rosier color... 

I think everyone remembers the trailers and how cool they looked and kinda glazed over the fact that the orginal game was really ugly.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I'm running on an AMD Phenom X4 3.4ghz, and and ATi 5770 GPU. The game looks and runs worse at full details than the 3.4Ghz P4 and ATi X850 I originally ran it on does. Something got severely messed up along the way.

My rig isn't the greatest, but considering I'd run at 40+ FPS on the old one on medium/high, I should be able to easily run this at max settings. Nope. Games like DOW2 and SC2 run fine on max settings, but HG:L runs at a slovenly 20 FPS. Furthermore, even the crappy textures fail to load their hi-res versions half the time, if they load at all.

This game is a horribly optimized POS.

• urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by jpnole

I agree that $4 is less then I spend on coffee some days, but right now the game is not worth a penny.

It's the principle, the game doesn't impress me at all, so I'm not going to give them money for putting out crap. Want $4 from me, show me the value.

• munecaroonmunecaroon Member Posts: 88

Whatever they did to the game, it's got worse graphics than HG:L, old old bugs re-popped, no 64bit or DX10 and only 1 CPU core being used.

HG global seems to use only 1 CPU core yep that's right

Checked task manager after I got that crazy FPS lag twice on a map.

Now HG global looks more like a year 2k title.

Still trying to play it between the server outages, DC's and error codes popping up in between long loading times.

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I agree, the graphics look terrible compared to the older version.

Also, doesn't the game seem incredibly easy now? I remember when it was actually a challenge to kill mobs. Now I can one-hit everything. And if I can't kill it with one hit, then all I have to do is stand there and hold down the left mouse button until the mob is dead. I literally lost no health the entire time I was playing yesterday.

The bosses are easy to kill. No skill or strategy necessary. Just hold down the left mouse button and wait for the mob to die.

I was really excited to play Hellgate again, but this is just terrible.

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

The graphics in the areas were pretty much the same, BUT the maps were actually random.  

The tunnels were different everytime I played a different character.

The streets were the same average graphics over and over again, but each was a different "dungeon" type shape everytime I went into it.

The graphics weren't the best but for the time it was released they were average.

Random maps.  You know like the Diablo series.  Same graphics but each area has a few different designs to it.

GlassEye

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Hellgate london looked awful on my old computer and there were many graphic bugs.......so for me HG looks much better....but yeah i cannot believe how bad some of the textures look.....i mean it looks like nintendo 64 textures.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Originally posted by gigat

I agree, the graphics look terrible compared to the older version.

Also, doesn't the game seem incredibly easy now? I remember when it was actually a challenge to kill mobs. Now I can one-hit everything. And if I can't kill it with one hit, then all I have to do is stand there and hold down the left mouse button until the mob is dead. I literally lost no health the entire time I was playing yesterday.

The bosses are easy to kill. No skill or strategy necessary. Just hold down the left mouse button and wait for the mob to die.

I was really excited to play Hellgate again, but this is just terrible.

i remember HGL being extremely easy even in Elite mode....but there is no way the new nightmare mode is as hard as the old elite mode.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

they prob used the dx9  32 bit build recall there were a lot of build.so they didnt need to take the prettiest they prob took the one that works on everything!

• KalayKalay Member Posts: 154

I just finished my first go at the new Hellgate and compared to the older game the graphics seem almost the same maybe a little bit better.  I am on very high and the sound (7.1) is great!  I notice the shiny surfaces on the glob guys you kill in the starting areas.  That was not there in the older game.

I don't know what all the complaints are.

Its not everyone's cup of tea.

I hope there are boss quests as so far I have only been getting bosses via the killing number system.

The storyline is very similar to the original Hellgate London but with a few twists.

I am going to assume all the characters get wiped when there is a official release.  

GlassEye

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Originally posted by jpnole

Especially if they use the same account system as FSS did and charge a thousand times at once. lol.

• OgdinOgdin Member UncommonPosts: 17

When the textures actually load it still looks pretty good,but they almost never load fully.The 1 fps bug is the biggest issue atm,makes it virtually unplayable.The server issues are still pretty bad too,almost as bad as the dev interaction on there forums.

If your on the side that likes it great. If your on the side that doesn't,thats great.If your on the side that will argue til your face turns blue about pointless this or that comparisons,you've come to the right gaming site.