Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering the game--so many questions!

XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Okay... so I'm thinking about giving this thing a shot--but I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.

So here are some questions, and I hope you guys will bear with me.  Some of this will probably make no sense since I have no real perspective on the game's actual mechanics, but on the other hand I'd rather get answers now while my wallet is still full rather than play the game for several months and then find out that I should have asked before I started.  If someone can point me to a "Everything you need to know about surviving in L2 and not screwing up" guide, that would be fantastic.  I'd love to see someone just link a guide and answer all my questions; the guides on the official site seem fine, but some of them are a few years old and it's hard for me to gauge their accuracy as an outsider--and I haven't found one (or several) that answer my questions, which I suspect are fairly basic for someone with any experience with the game.

1.  I understand that access to a high level dwarf is mandatory at later stages--are dwarves fun to play?  What roles can they fill other than crafting?  Also, does the subclassing system allow them to branch out?  And for that matter, is subclassing accessible (the guide I found outlined a pretty heinous quest relying on raid content, and I have to wonder if that content is still being done on anything close to a regular basis).

2.  Can you bork your character?  I.e., is it possible to make horrible choices at development points that irreversibly make you less effective than you otherwise could be?  I don't mean like buying a wrong piece of armor--I mean something like building a character in a way that his mechanics have no internal synergy and having no way to correct the error.

3.  Do you need a second account for buffs?  If it depends on class, which classes are the least help-dependent, and which ones are dispensing the help?

4.  What's the scale of exp loss on death in relation to things like PK (i.e., is there any distinction between exp loss from a PK death or a mob death?)  How noticeable is the penalty at higher levels (i.e., is it possible to lose a month of progress in one death)?  I understand it's still possible to de-level through deaths, but I want to get some confirmation here as well if possible.  My basis of comparison is EQ, FFXI, and Aion.

That's a good list for starters, I think.  I expect I'll think of more as time goes on, but right now I'm just trying to get a feel for what I might be getting myself into before I spend any money; I've played a lot of games, so any comparisons you want to make are certainly welcome.  Thanks for any help/advice/pointers/direction you all can offer.

Peace and safety.

Comments

• LuminattiLuminatti Member UncommonPosts: 45

I haven't been playing all that long at all... but I'll take a stab at your questions.

1.  You aren't forced to have a dwarf in any way.  Any class can do a sub at level 75 after doing a quest, there are just some restrictions on which ones you can chose based off what you are.

2.  No borking.  Only thing to be careful of is making the right decision as to what path you want to continue down at class change time (20, 40) and at char creation... 

3.  Second account helpful but not necessary. 

4.  I've made it to 68 without getting PKed, it is open field pvp anywhere but really not happening much.  I got griefed a few times but nothing major.  XP loss isn't bad... get in a guild and when you do your 2nd class xfer you will be rewarded with a hair accessory item that lowers death xp loss.  Also as you level if you die in party someone will rez u giving some xp back.  Deleveling through death is just an umtimely death after dinging or someone intentionally doing it to farm something or stay in a level range.

Hopefully someone playing longer can offer insight... those are my thoughts.     

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Originally posted by Luminatti

I haven't been playing all that long at all... but I'll take a stab at your questions.

1.  You aren't forced to have a dwarf in any way.  Any class can do a sub at level 75 after doing a quest, there are just some restrictions on which ones you can chose based off what you are.

2.  No borking.  Only thing to be careful of is making the right decision as to what path you want to continue down at class change time (20, 40) and at char creation... 

3.  Second account helpful but not necessary. 

4.  I've made it to 68 without getting PKed, it is open field pvp anywhere but really not happening much.  I got griefed a few times but nothing major.  XP loss isn't bad... get in a guild and when you do your 2nd class xfer you will be rewarded with a hair accessory item that lowers death xp loss.  Also as you level if you die in party someone will rez u giving some xp back.  Deleveling through death is just an umtimely death after dinging or someone intentionally doing it to farm something or stay in a level range.

Hopefully someone playing longer can offer insight... those are my thoughts.     

Luminatti pretty much answered all of your questions and I agree with them. Dwarfs use to be huge money makers back in the day but now so much of the Armors and Weapons are sold in town shops dwarfs not what they use to be so dont even bother. Also if you need a trial key I can send you one so you can test the game out before you buy it.

• SorrowhoSorrowho Member Posts: 581

1. you can't subclass warsmith, overlord or kamels if your non kamel

3. if you don't get a second account, witch i think you shoulnd't its a good idea to get a pet buffer for your class

4. exp loss somewhere between lvl 1 to 52, 8 to 4% scalling down to 4% at lvl 52,  from lvl 52 to 75 going from 4 to 1 % to mobs its not bad as lumini said, theirs so much stuff decreasing the exp loss that the 4% at 52 might end up at 1% or less.

75 + exp loss no idea

also i agree with mannish don't roll a dwarf

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

Thanks a lot for the tips guys; that really makes me feel better about the game.  Patching atm.

Also thanks for the key offer.  I already purchased the game way back, even though I never really played it, so if you have a return key you can spare, [redacted].  If I remember correctly, the clicky nature was a bit of a turn off, but I've been playing a lot of LOL recently, so I figure I can get over that.

EDIT:  Thanks for the code, mannish

Peace and safety.