Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA not giving away online for free on consoles

DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

So I bought the new Madden 11 back when it came out, and noticed it said "Purchase an Online Pass"...I was like what?!

Turns out that the game came with a free code for an online pass, but it was only good for one account.

So I got to thinking...so if I was to rent this game from somewhere expecting to come home and play some people over the internet, I would be greeted with this online pass Bullspit, forcing me to spend 800 (yes 800) xbox live points in order to play this game online.

What a rip-off.

Now I rented Fight Night Champions, the new fight night, not even thinking about madden and it's online pass bullspit.  Low and behold, you have to purchase yet another online pass to play Fight Night Champions.  (I am not 100% sure if you have to purchase ANOTHER online pass, but it seemed so.  It didn't immedietly recognize my Xboxlive account as having one and was prompting me to buy it at a whopping 800 (yes 800) xbox live points.

This is just absolute BS.  I understand possibly, kinda sorta, not really, that they want to keep making money off of each game long after the initial purchase, but isn't that what all this DLC bullspit is about?  And all those madden "fake football cards" that you could form a team online and play with them, (that is until the card's (life) ran out, which was 10 games? You could always buy new cards to extend your star player card's life, but I mean come on.)

It just pisses me off to no end the amount of greed.  Especially having to pay 800 xbox live points to be able to play these games online via xbox live.  Granted of course you just need to buy the game BRAND NEW, and you will be O.K.  But if you go to gamestop and buy it used for 40$, you will be spending an extra 10$? Just to purchase this bullspit online pass from EA.

I pay 60$  year for xbox live, now EA is adding more charges to play their games online if you don't buy them brand new?  On top of rediculously priced DLC that should have been included originally in the game.

It pisses me off to no end when I read... (Yeah we have DLC planned at the release of the game.)  WHY NOT JUST FREAKIN INCLUDE THIS DLC WITH THE GAME IF IT IS COMMING OUT AT THE EXACT SAME TIME.

Greed.  Freakin Greed.  I hate that video games have gotten so mainstream that this much greed and overpricing is going on.

The internet, it is great for gamers, but it also is great for companies.  They could never do DLC without the internet, thus forcing them to send us games with all the intended content, not giving us 75% of the game for 60$, then making us pay another 20$ later, then anothert 20$ later, or even another 20$ at launch.

Freakin bullspit.

/rant off

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

Comments

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

You seem to forget that Online Console gaming is NOT the internet. You're NEVER touching the internet, and in fact, you're going DIRECTLY to their pipe from your ISP.

Congratulations, you've now come to the realization as to why PC gaming is the true king for sobs that have cognitive thought :D!

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
    Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

If you want this to at least slow down then you need to send them a message they'll care to hear and hit em where it hurts. How can you do this? What could you the lone gamer possibly do to let companies that practice this kind of business know how you feel about it? Perhaps, just maybe, you might consider not giving them more of your money! This will truly piss them off! Most especially so if you could possibly convince others that it's not worth it to continue giving them their money as well! 

• CnuckCnuck Member UncommonPosts: 44

Vahrane is correct, but there will always be people to put money in their ever expanding pockets. Thats why they do this, because  they CAN.

WoW is a disease that will infect your brain and your computer.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by Vahrane

If you want this to at least slow down then you need to send them a message they'll care to hear and hit em where it hurts. How can you do this? What could you the lone gamer possibly do to let companies that practice this kind of business know how you feel about it? Perhaps, just maybe, you might consider not giving them more of your money! This will truely piss them off! Most especially so if you could possibly convince others that it's not worth it to continue giving them their money as well! 

Easier said than done.

I recently sent papajohn's a message, (not vulgar or rant filled) about how I find that they charge a 1.99 delivery fee to me when delivering pizza very unfair because it does not go to the driver at all, just stright into papajohn's pocket.  And they also tax the delivery fee too.

(Don't get it delivered then).

It isn't about that, it is about them not paying their drivers properly, making me pay more, deceptive marketing, and just being all around greedy.

I sent out facebook messages asking people to send papajohn's messages as well.  No one did, no one cares.  If it isn't angering someone at the same time, why should they bother spending their time complaining about a problem someone else has?

America just doesn't care, the people don't stand up to anything, or are willing to band together really to do so.  (Yes I know some people do, but majority are too "happy" with their lives and don't want anything to disrupt this "blissfull happiness"

And yes we do have it pretty O.K. here in America as far as non-rich citizens go, but I mean, we are also missing out on a lot, and this that we are missing out on could go to the aid of those who have nothing.

(complex and maybe stupid I know, but how can we just keep allowing these companies to be so greedy and take take take take take without giving much in return?)

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

You seem to forget that Online Console gaming is NOT the internet. You're NEVER touching the internet, and in fact, you're going DIRECTLY to their pipe from your ISP.

Congratulations, you've now come to the realization as to why PC gaming is the true king for sobs that have cognitive thought :D!

That statement is a bit misleading. While it is true that you aren't using a browser, you are still using the internet to reach the dedicated console servers. This, in the case of XboxLive is the front end. Consoles are using the same 'pipe' as you and I...it is just where they go that is different.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• VahraneVahrane Member UncommonPosts: 376

@ Dragim -  This country is going to the big businesses with the lack of regulation imposed on them and the prevalent non-caring population you'd mentioned. Just look at companies like Monsanto who are, in my mind, the antithesis of good business and yet one of the more powerful American corporations (actually more gobal than American now). 

At least the gaming industry, like the majority, just wants your money. While they're fairly brazen about it that could almost be considered a point in their favor. It's only hard to stop giving them your money due to lack of a better alternative.  

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Just don't buy there games thats only way to send right message. Untill they change these ridiculous greedy ways of try getting your money.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Groovydutch

Just don't buy there games thats only way to send right message. Untill they change these ridiculous greedy ways of try getting your money.

To many people put up with it so simply not purchasing the game will only ever hurt you more than them. (If you really like the game that is)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

So, we're suprised that EA is trying to find a way to make money from people who purchase used console games or rent them?

Seriously?

Of course they are, they don't want anyone to ever sell their used games or rent them, and if they could make it illegal to do so they would have. (they tried, failed years ago).

So now they add in a online component that they are allowed to tag you 10 bucks for, this is called economics folks, not greed, and its how the real world works. 

Companies are in it to make money for their shareholders...... period.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178

Originally posted by Dragim

Originally posted by Vahrane

If you want this to at least slow down then you need to send them a message they'll care to hear and hit em where it hurts. How can you do this? What could you the lone gamer possibly do to let companies that practice this kind of business know how you feel about it? Perhaps, just maybe, you might consider not giving them more of your money! This will truely piss them off! Most especially so if you could possibly convince others that it's not worth it to continue giving them their money as well! 

Easier said than done.

I recently sent papajohn's a message, (not vulgar or rant filled) about how I find that they charge a 1.99 delivery fee to me when delivering pizza very unfair because it does not go to the driver at all, just stright into papajohn's pocket.  And they also tax the delivery fee too.

(Don't get it delivered then).

It isn't about that, it is about them not paying their drivers properly, making me pay more, deceptive marketing, and just being all around greedy.

I sent out facebook messages asking people to send papajohn's messages as well.  No one did, no one cares.  If it isn't angering someone at the same time, why should they bother spending their time complaining about a problem someone else has?

America just doesn't care, the people don't stand up to anything, or are willing to band together really to do so.  (Yes I know some people do, but majority are too "happy" with their lives and don't want anything to disrupt this "blissfull happiness"

And yes we do have it pretty O.K. here in America as far as non-rich citizens go, but I mean, we are also missing out on a lot, and this that we are missing out on could go to the aid of those who have nothing.

(complex and maybe stupid I know, but how can we just keep allowing these companies to be so greedy and take take take take take without giving much in return?)

1.99 pizza delivery charge isn't that big of a deal if you want your pizza delivered.  There are other delivery places too,  but thats not the point.

I started picking up my own pizza when I order... I actually get it much faster, its cheaper, and I don't often like paying people to do something I have the knowledge and ability I can do myself. 

The major point is,  a delivery charge isn't something we should be standing up for.  Enough people pay for it to show the pizza places that convenience is worth paying for.  Losing money to used game sales is something EA doesn't want to do anymore with their biggest selling titles,  so naturally they found a way around it.  If you don't agree with it,  then you shouldn't buy their games.   More importantly,  if you want to actually get a group together and start something for a cause (hopefully its a better one than a 1.99 pizza delivery charge)  then stop hoping that everyone will just get that FACEBOOK message and sit down with your friends and tell them about it.  The more you get people to understand your problem the more likely they will be to act upon it.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Shouldn't be surprised at all.

Firstly, this is EA we're talking about.  Only Activision are bigger douchebags than them, only because Activision really, really tries hard in pissing people off in recent years.

Secondly, you're talking about consoles here.  These companies KNOW console players aren't fond of hassles to any sort of extent and will pay whatever price to get past those hassles.

MW2 prices, anybody?

Pay extra just to track your stats in MW3?

So on and so on.  For my unfortunate console friends prepare for "BOHICA."

Bend Over Here It Comes Again

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Originally posted by Fadedbomb

ISP = Internet Service Provider.  If you are using the term ISP, you are literally saying that the internet service provider is not providing internet.  Just thought I'd clarify.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

So let me get this straight.  Because it seems a minority have a problem with the practice, I say a minority because as others have stated many people pay, it should be changed and regulated for the few?  When did the World get this belief that everything all the time should be accessable to everyone.  Never been that way, never will be that way.  Access, features, upgrades, shinies have always come with more price.  I wish I could have a private jet, but I do not...should private jets be regulated so I can have one.  Maybe you can afford that online service if you cut back on something else.  Life is about choices...cuts here for gains there.  Entertainment, ie games, is not a right.  You do not have a right to access a game.  You work you save you make cuts to enjoy them.  I am sure if I had saved all my money from games I might have a jet now....well a model one...a really nice model one...but I do not I instead played games.

• DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

Originally posted by Ausare

So let me get this straight.  Because it seems a minority have a problem with the practice, I say a minority because as others have stated many people pay, it should be changed and regulated for the few?  When did the World get this belief that everything all the time should be accessable to everyone.  Never been that way, never will be that way.  Access, features, upgrades, shinies have always come with more price.  I wish I could have a private jet, but I do not...should private jets be regulated so I can have one.  Maybe you can afford that online service if you cut back on something else.  Life is about choices...cuts here for gains there.  Entertainment, ie games, is not a right.  You do not have a right to access a game.  You work you save you make cuts to enjoy them.  I am sure if I had saved all my money from games I might have a jet now....well a model one...a really nice model one...but I do not I instead played games.

It isn't about the minority having a problem, you think the people who pay these fees don't have a problem with it?  They pay them because they Have to.

There is a difference between, oh, that's ok, and damnit, this sucks but if I want to, I have to.

I will use airports as an example.  Do you WANT to be frisked and touched?  Do you want to have your 5 year old frisked and touched?  I don't think anyone WANTS this, but they realize that they must in order to board the plane.  I understand it is for our "safety" but many people dislike the practice.

People don't WANT to pay for online madden 2011 after buying it used, they might even be pissed off about it, but you know what?  They WILL pay for it.  Why?  because they just spent 40$ on a used game and the main reason was for them to play online and the only way for them to play is by paying.  They pay, but are pissed off about it.  They come to the conclusion that they MUST pay, despite the company doing it because they are being greedy.

So if they started charging again for internet usage by the minute, would you be pissed/outraged?  Probably, but will you still pay?  Most likely.

It isn't about...well, people WANT it, it is about people HAVE NO CHOICE.  You either don't enjoy/do it, or you pay the extra fees to enjoy it.

These companies don't HAVE to charge us.  Most make plenty of money as it is.  If anything, it is the big CEOs who lose out than anyone else, (speculation, could be wrong).  (I suppose shareholders too).

(Well Dragim, our country is a capitalist country) ((United States))

Yeah well, our country is in really bad times right now too.  How is the capitalism working out?  Not very well for the most of us, but for those 15% on top, it is working wonderfully.  Hell, China is about to send jobs our way because it makes better business sense to have jobs in america because it is cheaper labor.  Companies don't HAVE to give us benifits, don't HAVE to pay us fair wages, so we are becomming the new "3rd world country" as far as industrial jobs go.

You can call it economics, capitalism, whatever you want.  I call it greed.

Just because it makes sense to a company to charge more for something than it needs to doesn't mean that it is right to do so.  It makes them look bad, it pisses people off, but people pay the fees because there is no other choice.  Don't play the game?  Don't play MADDEN?  The only liscensed NFL game on the market?  (Side note, I don't like madden much, but it is the principle)

Then again, something that makes sense to one person doesn't always make sense to another.  That is why our country is becomming so divided.  We all are entitled to our opinions, but no one is entitled to make their opinion fact unless there is some good evidence behind their theory.  And not opinionated evidence.

Though, all of this is my opinion and the views and things I have brought up have no hard factual evidence behind them (or rather that I have bothered to look for), it just makes sense to me.

It isn't about the right to do so, it is about the fact that the companies are exploiting their control over the right to do so.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Kyleran

So, we're suprised that EA is trying to find a way to make money from people who purchase used console games or rent them?

Seriously?

Of course they are, they don't want anyone to ever sell their used games or rent them, and if they could make it illegal to do so they would have. (they tried, failed years ago).

So now they add in a online component that they are allowed to tag you 10 bucks for, this is called economics folks, not greed, and its how the real world works. 

Companies are in it to make money for their shareholders...... period.

This . Also keep in mind your X-box is for all intensive purposes a computer. It's a dated one , but none the less a computer. You pay M$ for the priviledge of going online , the same as you would pay an internet provider like Cox, or who ever. EA is saying for dated or old games or games in general they will be charging a fee to use the server they host the game on. Time to grow up and realize that it costs money to run games online . We also don't live in a magically world, we live in a capitalist society.  You have a choice, you can decide to pay or not pay.

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

It isn't all about trying to make money from that, they are trying to prevent people from downloading burnt copies on the internet or from people dling games for a modded xbox. You should be getting mad at people like that, not EA. If we didn't have people trying to get out of paying money for a product, EA wouldn't have those passes. Pretty simple.

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• samuraislyr4samuraislyr4 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I think you are missing the point of this online pass thing, it's to cut into the used game market. So if people buy it used they have to pay in order to play online meaning EA gets some money. Buy it used and you have no problem. Also most EA games have an online trial, about 4 hours or something so you can try it in order to see if it is worth your purchase.

Also since  you bought the game, you should have seen the code somewhere, back of the manual or something. If you buy the game, you don't have to pay extra to go online. Only if you rent or buy used.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

That's only results on used games sales that provide no revenue to the publishers and developers. Simple as that. When you buy second-hand game all the money goes to the shop/guy who sells it to you and nothing goes to company behind the game. Hence the project 10 dollar, unique dlc codes for new game copies, etc. 

It's not like it's new or invented by EA. BAck in the days that wa sust handled by game servers checking CD-keys on connection attempt, and if it found that the cd-key is already in use it wouldnt let the other account to connect, or even how lizzards Battle.Net works these days - wan't to play you need ot bind the code to your BNet account, and if you want to resell the game you have to include the account in the package, and that's EULA/ToS violation so that account can be banned too. 

• evictonevicton Member Posts: 398

The title of this thread is misleading you get your 'free online play' when you buy a new copy of the game. If you buy the game used you need to pay 10 bucks, I agree they need to do something about rentals as those guys do pay a license fee to rent the games. And its not Just EA thats doing this THQ did this with Homefront and more console companies are doing this as well.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

If you buy a game used, EA receives NOTHING from that sale. I don't have a problem with them trying to recoup some of their lost revenue with an online pass. I'm actually rather surprised they didn't implement this or something like it a long time ago.

Besides, isn't it just as greedy to expect them to provide services (which cost them money) for free?

Oh and BTW, EA hasn't been operating in the black since about 2007. So no, they obviously DON'T have enough money.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

I see it both ways but it sucks you have to pay for it when you buy a used game. Xbox live doesn't say they offer online play for "some" games when you pay monthly. (I know you get a code with a new game).

If games are going to start having seperate charges then the xbox fee needs to be dropped or lowered.

As far as buying DLC......people just need to stop! That would put an end to it and we would get complete games again, or at least we would think they were complete because we wouldn't know any better.

As far as the pizza guy thing..yeah thats BS to be charged to have it delivered and then be expected to tip the pizza guy on top of that. It's not costing those guys to send a pizza guy, they dont pay but minimum wage and they make plenty off the price of the pizza to cover that. It's about as stupid as having to tip a waitress...why should i have to pay her to do her job. The business place should have to pay their staff. People claim you get better service that way. Why? They cant get fired if the customers complain? Bussiness's have drilled tipping into our brains and we pay for their workers while paying for their products.