Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Location Preview Video

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has partnered with MMORPG.com to bring our readers an exclusive new video from The Secret World. This Location Preview Video explores an area known as The Savage Coast, situated on Solomon Island in New England. As one of many locations in The Secret World, it stretches over a vast expanse of land and contains key locations such as a haunted amusement park, the creepy Innsmouth Academy, and the dark and mysterious Accursed Woods.

Watch The Secret World: Location Preview Video.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Very nice sense of atmosphere.

Wonder what those black whisps of cloud are supposed to be moving across the sky...

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

I get such a Silent Hill vibe from the atmosphere in this game. Love it.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Gotta love the atmosphere, great stuff image

Locations are awesome, creatures are awesome, some of the best in MMO's I've seen so far, character animation still needs to be improved though, too stiff sometimes.

I'm looking forward to wandering around in that area in nighttime, it sounds like the perfect place for a great nightly atmosphere there. Also loved the Octopus ride with the Lovecraftian looks image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Yes MMOMaverick, I was hesitant to bitch about the characters with such gorgeous environments, but I totally agree the toons need work.

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64

The character animation reminds me of Anarchy Online. And the whispey clouds looked kinda like winged serpents. Overall a very nice "don't play this alone in the dark" vibe.

• UnicornicusUnicornicus Member Posts: 235

I hope the fix the animations but I will say one thing. The more I see from this game, DMO and GW2, the worse TOR looks, both in design and graphics.

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Unicornicus

I hope the fix the animations but I will say one thing. The more I see from this game, DMO and GW2, the worse TOR looks, both in design and graphics.

Personally, I think TOR still looks great. The Secret World and GW2 both look solid as well. I watched GW 2 combat vids yesterday and to be fair it was not all the amazing. Kinda reminded me of DCUO combat in some ways. Looks fun but nothing totally revolutionary. What will make all three is the depth ot the story telling and the things they are bringing to the table that are different.

• JimmysticksJimmysticks Member Posts: 4

awesome

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

After watching countelss video previews of what was supposed to be in Age of Conan, I'm not sure how to believe anything Funcom puts out in preview of Secret World.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

amazing!

a new interview was released too with some nice tidbits like:

(http://thesecretworld.jeuxonline.info/article/9598/interview-with-ragnar-tornquist-april-2011

What is the limit between weapon and power? For example, is a katana an item or a power? Can a power change the behavior of a weapon or are they independent? Conversely, can a weapon change the behavior of a power or is it only cosmetical?

Weapons and player powers are tightly connected and integrated, and specific powers influence how weapons behave and what effects they have, both mechanically and visually. Players can carry up to two weapons simultaneously, and there’s also plenty of interplay between various weapons. The combination of weapons and powers a player brings into the game will decide how he or she performs in a given situation, and it’s a big part of the tactical approach needed to handle the toughest content in the game, particularly when it comes to group gameplay.

Clothing customization promises to be substantial and varied. Can you tell us more about that? Will clothing have an impact on the character stats or could it influence powers – like fire resistant clothes?

Clothes don’t affect your stats, and players are free to wear anything they want at any time – although some future locations may require players to wear special clothing.

There will be plenty of clothing and customisation options for players; from clothes purchased in London stores, to outfits awarded for special missions and achievements, and kick-ass PvP uniforms required for participation in the secret war. In addition, players can apply tattoos and wear accessories in order to make their characters look completely unique.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I love the feel of that vid, I smell a new pc in the pipeline.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

the environment was so erriee and perfect

just loved the feel of the world .

In the end the players are walking in the middle of the street and zombies munching out flesh on the side ....felt so scary

nor just some dam bunnies I can ignore and move on

• FigureFigure Member Posts: 128

The video on this site has a bit of encoding issues, but that's alright because I found the video on a few other sites on the net.  Also, props on finding the april interview with Ragnar... that almost definitely confirms what we've speculated about regarding dynamic weapon and power interplay and makes the game mechanic nerd in me salivate with glee.  It might possibly be an innovation on the level of AoC's directional attack combat.  (which is still the best innovation on the basic autoattack mechanic of any MMO in the past 5 years)

I think that the developers have only shown about 17 or so player characters in the game so far and they are all characters played by the developers themselves. I can name them by rough description:

-Ponytail Blondie with gun and chain on pants: First seen in GDC 11 video.  Potentially either Joel's character or Martin's considering they traded off playing the character in the GDC gameplay video.  Frequently seen from behind in screenshots and talking to NPCs during in game cutscenes.

-Ragnaresque male character with glasses.  Seems to change glasses occasionally... might also be another character entirely.  No doubt played by Ragnar himself.

-Asian Female with Hello Kitty/Heart backpack, dual-wielding what appear to be katanas/short swords.

-Mid 20s tanned male in shorts and blonde hair.

-Female pc character with short, dark hair first seen in 'First 30 minutes' trailer.

-Strawberry Blonde female using magical powers fighting a pve battle.

-Spikey red/pink dyed hair male seen in the GDC video alongside the strawberry blonde.

-Dark Haired male in nondescript black clothing seen 'ascending' in the GDC video.

-The set of 3 Illuminati characters shown in the pvp zones.  All 3 looked relatively similar and are decked out in what appears to be the standard Illuminati uniform of blue/black corporate suit and gas mask. One was vaguely female, the other two were male.  One male was bald.

-The set of 3 Templar characters shown in the pvp zones.  (basically same concept as the Illuminati, but more european styled features, red and white outfit)  3 white vaguely similar looking European males.

-The set of 3 Dragon characters shown in the pvp zones.  (same as the illuminati, green and yellow outfit, vaguely asian characters)

The point being is that I don't think we've really seen the full range of customization options, although I agree somewhat that they still look rather wooden and robotic in animation and appearance.  There's a -lot- we don't know yet about character appearance and I'm still withholding judgment until I see the finalized animations.

Currently Watching: TSW. << Very Eager for a Beta invite. Have experience with Beta Testing.
    Not personally a big fan of raiding or current pve endgame mmo philosophy. Nothing wrong with it, I just sort of burnt out on it.
    Hardcore raider in wow from Launch to.. about 7 months ago.
    Currently Playing: Champions Online.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

-Ponytail Blondie with gun and chain on pants: First seen in GDC 11 video.  Potentially either Joel's character or Martin's considering they traded off playing the character in the GDC gameplay video.  Frequently seen from behind in screenshots and talking to NPCs during in game cutscenes.

actually the ponytail blondie is ragnar hinself

another link to the video, for guys who cannot see (I had problens too with mmorpg player) 

http://thesecretworld.jeuxonline.info/actualite/31844/exclusivite-apercu-video-cote-sauvage-the-secret-world

• FigureFigure Member Posts: 128

Really?  Now that's surprising actually.  I was almost positive that the male character with shades was so much of a dead ringer for Ragnar that it had to be him.. but it makes sense that Ragnar's character might be the Blondie.

Currently Watching: TSW. << Very Eager for a Beta invite. Have experience with Beta Testing.
    Not personally a big fan of raiding or current pve endgame mmo philosophy. Nothing wrong with it, I just sort of burnt out on it.
    Hardcore raider in wow from Launch to.. about 7 months ago.
    Currently Playing: Champions Online.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It looks great but another game made by Funcom gives me pause.  AOC also looked great but it ran horribly.  Maybe they will redeem themselves with this game though.

• Bizze66Bizze66 Member Posts: 22

Bah!

Funcom is always about the hype factor. I will not get burned by their videos and false promises. Gonna wait a couple of weeks or so after the game launches and then make a decision on whether to play or not. Got burned by their previous games that did not live up to the hype.

A word to Funcom >>>Don't set the bar too high for yourselves because people will expect it from ya.  XD

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Is anyone not worried by those bad player animations? I hope they're only temporary, no matter how pretty the gameworld looks, having terrible animations will hamper game immersion. :(

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842

I would actually pay to get myself into beta, now.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by tachgb

Is anyone not worried by those bad player animations? I hope they're only temporary, no matter how pretty the gameworld looks, having terrible animations will hamper game immersion. :(

Yea the animation looks bad and I hope they will improve it

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Only problem with any Funcom game, will it be playing at launch or 1 year later ?

• karnivorkarnivor Member UncommonPosts: 29

Im reading the comments and Im like wtf? Are you all under some kind of masshypnosis? This game looks like crap, the animation, the graphic .... Wake up people ...

• karnivorkarnivor Member UncommonPosts: 29

I forgot to mention the horrible voice acting, hahaha ...

• Dark_PegasusDark_Pegasus Member Posts: 37

After getting thoroughly hooked in anticipation for the release of Funcom's latest MMORPG release; Age of Conan. I was literally filled to bursting with juicy goodness from their repeated interview commitments in terms of player housing, skill based combat, player cities, sieges, polish, fun, puppies, low price strippers, candy canes and chocolate monkeys. I ordered both the collectors and standard edition as I wanted both of these supposedly epic pre order mounts.

The game released, it was buggy, had features missing, memory leaks, no PVP system in place, player built cities were in a real mess, performance was horrible, there was no player housing, siege combat didn't work and I was reduced to wallowing in a tavern in Old Tarantia with my low price strippers (who didn't do alot, they were bugged), candy canes (covered in Hyrborian sand) and melting chocolate monkeys (damn Stygian heat).

The moral of the story is that Funcom can make their videos look shiny, good and they can talk a very good talk, but they cannot walk the walk. They don't mind making promises, not keeping them, releasing crap and simply justifying it by getting rid of the games lead developer; the game is nearing the standard it should have been released at now. Don't be taken in by Funcom, read some reviews and at least sign up to a trial before you buy. Don't take a leap of faith!

• GerrigGerrig Member Posts: 30

I sooooo wanna game this. Am a true Lovecraft, Cthulhu n general horror freak and possibly I have to high expectations but I dont care. Bring it on!!! Let me love it or be brutally dissapointed but please... let me be it sooooooooon